User Tag List

Page 645 of 688 FirstFirst ... 145545595635643644645646647655 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,450 of 6877

Thread: Mistyped TypeCentral Members

  1. #6441
    In Line to the Throne Array Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    479
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    It happens rarely but here it is: I am A N G R Y. Frustrated.

    When I first came to this site I was puzzled why several member's who I highly respected did not want to discuss Typology ON A TYPOLOGY SITE?! Several would not even discuss or display their MBTI identification. It was Typing that brought me here so I was confused when they said "they had grown tired of debating typology but stayed because they truly felt affection for some member's".

    I get it now.

    I don't mind having my type questioned. I know a large number of people feel strongly I am certain types and that doesn't bother me. I've greatly appreciated the time and energy people have spent on my typing thread.

    I will use @OrangeAppled as an example of someone who I think does questioning right. (Hope you don't mind OA) She offered clear, well-reasoned points at things I might want to look at as alternate points of view. She revealed a wealth of her own research in her posts. She didn't presume to know me but asked questions and truly examined the answers. She didn't belabor the point but allowed me the dignity of processing what she wrote.

    On the other hand (I am not going to name any specific user's) there are the people who will not let up. Either sending PM's, writing messages or making "mentions" in other posts. I FULLY GET that a lot of people disagree with my initial typing. I appreciated when @Z Buck McFate acknowledged I might feel a bit 'hounded'. I was trying to keep an objective, cheery outlook but I do honestly feel it has gone into an area that is mostly unproductive.

    Why do I stay? So far, because there are MANY people who I genuinely enjoy. Some of them are even the people who won't let the 'type thing' go.

    Others who know me better (some IRL) have come forward saying their perception matches my own. But, they have been largely ignored or disbelieved, which entirely makes sense to me if my own perceptions are dismissed My desire to participate is dwindling.

    If people don't have any confidence in my ability to know myself, why should I share? Why would I presume to offer perception on anyone else ever, in that case? Why should I push myself to participate fully when it is dismissed that this takes effort and people insist I am an extrovert and 'being social' comes easily to me?


    I won't offer my viewpoints anymore in INFP related threads. Despite the recipients finding meaning in my words and being thankful, I continue to receive snarky messages that question why I am posting in those threads. I am not participating in threads offering advice to other members (save for impartial relationship questions...) because I would feel like a fraud. I don't think like those types and don't feel I have anything of value to offer.


    So...I am left at a place where my first friend's revealed they were: not engaging in typology on a typology site.


    I welcome correction if I am off on this. I truly have given it much thought and feel I have been exceedingly open to suggestion and patient with being questioned. I HATE turning off any potential possibilities for new understanding or thought so I will never be able to shut down discussion on my type. It goes contrary to my nature. I DON'T presume to know everything. I only wish there was a little more confidence in my abilities shown and that I was respectfully allowed to reject what I don't feel fits, without it continuing to be pushed on me.

    Regardless of what others feel, I know myself more than anyone else. Despite months of this, and doing exhaustive research I still feel I have a genuine (albeit enhanced) understanding of who I am and where I am. I KNOW that having my type questioned and referred to without letup isn't servicing me in continued enjoyment of interacting here.

    I HATE complaining and it pains me to write this. Especially when I think questioning one's own type and receiving helpful feedback is hugely valuable. I also don't want to downplay the encouragement and support that caring individuals have expressed. Saying they have faith that: ultimately I will know myself best, whether they agree or disagree with how I type.

    To be perfectly clear:

    I support questioning typing and offering advice and viewpoints.


    I don't support 1) Persisting in chasing the person on the issue after they have considered the input 2) Making snide asides in messages or mentions that the person is clueless about who they are 3) The assumption that internet forum access allows us to know someone better than they know themselves.

    Does any of this matter in the larger scheme of things? No.

    Future dust, future rust...right @mystik_INFJ?
    Loading...

  2. #6442
    4x9 Array cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,743

    Default

    People keep sending you PM's / belaboring the point, @Cloudpatrol? I'm sorry to hear that. That is probably stressful .

    They probably think they are helping or are locked in their own 'excitement' of trying to present their argument? That's one of the downsides of being immersed in typology -- it can start to consume one. (I've been there)


    Maybe consider it an honor? lol. You are clearly liked. (I've never had my type questioned(though I'm positive people may privately disagree and that's fine), and I've typed as two types for long lengths of time). Btw I'm NOT asking people to question my type, ha, I just think it's a very interesting contrast. Perhaps it is because you have been so open and the thread you sought input on gave everyone free reign? Sounds like some people aren't quite ready to let it go but hopefully your post here will create a clear message to everyone to let it drop.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  3. #6443
    In Line to the Throne Array Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    479
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    People keep sending you PM's / belaboring the point, @Cloudpatrol? I'm sorry to hear that. That is probably stressful .

    They probably think they are helping or are locked in their own 'excitement' of trying to present their argument? That's one of the downsides of being immersed in typology -- it can start to consume one. (I've been there)


    Maybe consider it an honor? lol. You are clearly liked. (I've never had my type questioned(though I'm positive people may privately disagree and that's fine), and I've typed as two types for long lengths of time). Btw I'm NOT asking people to question my type, ha, I just think it's a very interesting contrast. Perhaps it is because you have been so open and the thread you sought input on gave everyone free reign? Sounds like some people aren't quite ready to let it go but hopefully your post here will create a clear message to everyone to let it drop.
    You rock

    You made me laugh which is the best possible thing

    You are right. Typology IS super exciting. I think I had started to lose sight of that. It's part of the reason why I love the common interest most of us share. Only a small section of my IRL friend's understand 'automatically attempting to discern type' upon meeting someone new. That you can't "unsee" what you have learnt (smile). Everyone here get's that and I love digging into functions and the 'meat' of typing.

    {I think it's why I have been so disappointed to feel like I better not participate if any 'typing credential' I had has been removed. And...maybe people don't feel that way and it's my own confidence that has been shaken and I need to address that myself instead of blaming externally}.

    And, you are also right that I should change my perception and view it as a gift and be more grateful for how people have 'taken me in' since I came here. I also completely accept responsibility in that I opened the floor to discussion with my thread.

    Your words also made me realize that I have been not openly communicating regarding how I have felt along the process. This is a weakness I have and it's helpful to have it illuminated so that I can 'see' it.

    My most valued friends are the one's who help me see other sides (especially when I am upset) and who kindly take me down a notch. You did this beautifully while also acknowledging my feelings and not dismissing me. You are a good friend and this post has only increased my appreciation for you!
    Loading...
    Likes Poki, Floki liked this post

  4. #6444
    4x9 Array cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    You rock

    You made me laugh which is the best possible thing

    You are right. Typology IS super exciting. I think I had started to lose sight of that. It's part of the reason why I love the common interest most of us share. Only a small section of my IRL friend's understand 'automatically attempting to discern type' upon meeting someone new. That you can't "unsee" what you have learnt (smile). Everyone here get's that and I love digging into functions and the 'meat' of typing.

    {I think it's why I have been so disappointed to feel like I better not participate if any 'typing credential' I had has been removed. And...maybe people don't feel that way and it's my own confidence that has been shaken and I need to address that myself instead of blaming externally}.

    And, you are also right that I should change my perception and view it as a gift and be more grateful for how people have 'taken me in' since I came here. I also completely accept responsibility in that I opened the floor to discussion with my thread.

    Your words also made me realize that I have been not openly communicating regarding how I have felt along the process. This is a weakness I have and it's helpful to have it illuminated so that I can 'see' it.

    My most valued friends are the one's who help me see other sides (especially when I am upset) and who kindly take me down a notch. You did this beautifully while also acknowledging my feelings and not dismissing me. You are a good friend and this post has only increased my appreciation for you!
    That is awesome that my post helped. And thank you. (But to be honest I wasn't really even trying to achieve all of that... but I am glad the end result was that it was helpful and made you feel a bit better. )
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  5. #6445
    Hiro Dreams of Sushi Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Wait, @Cloudpatrol, are some people STILL harassing you?? Because that's what it is. What you describe takes it far beyond type suggestions and into a realm that is honestly, disgusting. I never got it that bad, and even then, part of my struggle was my own interpretations of the typings and less so than what was objectively happening at the time. We don't need some typing police, but just some common decency here. Some members need to put themselves in the shoes of others at times, I swear.
    A mind wanders as does the soul

    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

    "I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

    Love you Clouds!

  6. #6446
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    8,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    You rock You made me laugh which is the best possible thing You are right. Typology IS super exciting. I think I had started to lose sight of that. It's part of the reason why I love the common interest most of us share. Only a small section of my IRL friend's understand 'automatically attempting to discern type' upon meeting someone new. That you can't "unsee" what you have learnt (smile). Everyone here get's that and I love digging into functions and the 'meat' of typing. {I think it's why I have been so disappointed to feel like I better not participate if any 'typing credential' I had has been removed. And...maybe people don't feel that way and it's my own confidence that has been shaken and I need to address that myself instead of blaming externally}. And, you are also right that I should change my perception and view it as a gift and be more grateful for how people have 'taken me in' since I came here. I also completely accept responsibility in that I opened the floor to discussion with my thread. Your words also made me realize that I have been not openly communicating regarding how I have felt along the process. This is a weakness I have and it's helpful to have it illuminated so that I can 'see' it. My most valued friends are the one's who help me see other sides (especially when I am upset) and who kindly take me down a notch. You did this beautifully while also acknowledging my feelings and not dismissing me. You are a good friend and this post has only increased my appreciation for you!
    i woud venture to say most people cant see past shallow when it comes to people.

  7. #6447
    In Line to the Throne Array Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    479
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic_Dreamer View Post
    Wait, @Cloudpatrol, are some people STILL harassing you?? Because that's what it is. What you describe takes it far beyond type suggestions and into a realm that is honestly, disgusting. I never got it that bad, and even then, part of my struggle was my own interpretations of the typings and less so than what was objectively happening at the time. We don't need some typing police, but just some common decency here. Some members need to put themselves in the shoes of others at times, I swear.
    Thank you Dreamer. I didn't want to mention specific names of support I have received in case I forgot anyone but You have honestly helped me keep my sanity (sense of self) through some of this.

    I think I was overwhelmed because I got back yesterday and read all of the messages, mentions and comments at one time. Usually, they trickle in slowly throughout the week...

    I got increasingly frustrated as I got caught up: first a mention where I was described as confused...then a message that explained how I deceive myself...

    My personal fave was a reply in a thread from an INFP who has been clear in stating I am not one. They literally crossed out where I had marked "INFP" and replaced it with 'human'. It actually made me laugh

    They then posited that my carefully thought-out reasoning could be applied to every type of person. I started to respond that maybe they found my reasoning relevant because they ARE an INFP & specific examples of HOW other types would NOT necessarily relate... But honestly, I lost interest.


    I agree we don't need typing police and I refuse to report things. I will handle my own s*it if it needs handling, as a mature adult. I'd only report if the situation was dire.


    That all being said > I can only control my own behaviour. That's why I appreciated @cascadeco's feedback. I have fallen short in some communication and I also see area's where I can be more assertive and appreciative. Those are things I can work on. That makes me happy!


    I agree with you that the world would be a different place if everyone thought about how what they said/did would affect other's. It's a good reminder for me as well!
    Loading...
    Likes Yuu liked this post

  8. #6448
    In Line to the Throne Array Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    479
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    i woud venture to say most people cant see past shallow when it comes to people.
    I have missed you Poki (grin). You have a way of saying things so 'simply and truthy'. Something this long-winded gal admires greatly

    I came back to edit this because I was still thinking on it @Poki. Maybe this is naive but I actually think a huge portion of the member's here are really perceptive. As much as we can glean about each other off of the internet. Other member's have less perception or intuition but are intelligent or devoted student's and have really capable observations.

    I do have faith in people's ability to discern things.

    The main thing for me is that there is a difference between offering a viewpoint or a conclusion. i.e. 1) "I think you are 'type' because..." and 2) "You are deluded and confused in not recognizing you are 'type'".
    Loading...

  9. #6449
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    8,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    I have missed you Poki (grin). You have a way of saying things so 'simply and truthy'. Something this long-winded gal admires greatly I came back to edit this because I was still thinking on it @Poki. Maybe this is naive but I actually think a huge portion of the member's here are really perceptive. As much as we can glean about each other off of the internet. Other member's have less perception or intuition but are intelligent or devoted student's and have really capable observations. I do have faith in people's ability to discern things. The main thing for me is that there is a difference between offering a viewpoint or a conclusion. i.e. 1) "I think you are 'type' because..." and 2) "You are deluded and confused in not recognizing you are 'type'".
    perceptive and shallow are 2 different things completely. when i say shallow i am more referring to a person focusing on a persons action or whats obvious. i think to propery type someone function wise you have to get behind the shallow and obvious.

    lets take an ENFP for example. i know ENFPs that are so driven that based on actions they would be deemed something else completely. ones who are so T they give a T a un for their money. for example...you do employ what would be considered very heavy Fe, but how much is driven from Fe, i could argue its Ti understanding or Fi caring or Se mimmicking. i see more categorization based on statistical anaysis of traits more then i see deep down dive. i personally dont ask questions to type. i talk to a person. they can say everything that leads up to ISTP, but they have a hard time faking the signature of how each types think and feel and talk. its a deeper pattern then just answer these questions. its like a personality signature.

    you can see it in expressions as well....T vs N vs S vs F. but its again like a signature flow.

  10. #6450
    In Line to the Throne Array Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    479
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    perceptive and shallow are 2 different things completely. when i say shallow i am more referring to a person focusing on a persons action or whats obvious. i think to propery type someone function wise you have to get behind the shallow and obvious.

    lets take an ENFP for example. i know ENFPs that are so driven that based on actions they would be deemed something else completely. ones who are so T they give a T a un for their money. for example...you do employ what would be considered very heavy Fe, but how much is driven from Fe, i could argue its Ti understanding or Fi caring or Se mimmicking. i see more categorization based on statistical anaysis of traits more then i see deep down dive. i personally dont ask questions to type. i talk to a person. they can say everything that leads up to ISTP, but they have a hard time faking the signature of how each types think and feel and talk. its a deeper pattern then just answer these questions. its like a personality signature.

    you can see it in expressions as well....T vs N vs S vs F. but its again like a signature flow.
    Yes, this exchange is a perfect example of why additional probing is often needed (beyond the 'shallows').

    I understand clearly now what you mean, and agree. This is a matter of 'practicing what you preach' because I have always enjoyed that you listen more than you speak and generally ask a series of questions to attain better understanding (with politics...) and actually talk to someone to ascertain type.
    Loading...

Similar Threads

  1. TypeCentral Members Psychoanalyze Your Avatar for Free
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6549
    Last Post: Today, 04:15 PM
  2. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  3. TypeCentral Members- Casting Call as Disney Characters
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 03:10 AM
  4. TypeCentral Members- Cast them as musicians
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  5. It's a mystery. (moved from Mistyped MBTIC Members)
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •