User Tag List

First 342392432440441442443444452492542 Last

Results 4,411 to 4,420 of 7136

  1. #4411
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=17911" target="_blank">Maybe</a>, @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=4939" target="_blank">kyuuei</a>, @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=10491" target="_blank">mmhmm</a> and any other ENFP 8s out there:

    I've been exploring a pet theory that ENFP 8s are more balanced in the N/S dichotomy than their 4, 6 or 7 counterparts. Do you feel that to be true in your case? Or do you attribute your enneagram type to better developed Te? Or is it related to neither and more to do with something exogenous to type?
    I'm not sure I know of any enfp 8's except possibly this guy.


  2. #4412
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I'm not sure I know of any enfp 8's except possibly this guy.
    My initial thought was that it might be a function of mistyping. I've since gotten to know someone who types herself ENFP 8w7, and we have enough in common that I believe the enneagram type is correct no matter how unlikely it seems. I'm not gonna dismiss unusual e-type/MBTI combinations off-hand as I spent a little while thinking I was 9w8 instead of 8w9. Although it really was more to do with depression than anything else, it made me realize how factors external to one's innate cognitive process can inform one's enneagram type.

    Not to digress too far, I think it's at least possible. I recently had a discussion with a friend who is ENFP about how there's a very pragmatic core to ENFPs that only becomes apparent as you get to know them. I think that core persona is very much compatible with enneagram 8 if the ENFP identifies more with it, than their more Ne-influenced traits. Who's to say that an 8 has to project power in the traditional, male-oriented way? Especially if one discovers that there's more power in exerting influence over one's environment otherwise? Or is what it means to be seen as strong such an objective thing?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  3. #4413
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    I think if we reduce 8 down to:

    scared of losing control over their own life and being harmed, ENFP works fine.

  4. #4414
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    @Maybe, @kyuuei, @mmhmm and any other ENFP 8s out there:

    I've been exploring a pet theory that ENFP 8s are more balanced in the N/S dichotomy than their 4, 6 or 7 counterparts. Do you feel that to be true in your case? Or do you attribute your enneagram type to better developed Te? Or is it related to neither and more to do with something exogenous to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    My initial thought was that it might be a function of mistyping. I've since gotten to know someone who types herself ENFP 8w7, and we have enough in common that I believe the enneagram type is correct no matter how unlikely it seems. I'm not gonna dismiss unusual e-type/MBTI combinations off-hand as I spent a little while thinking I was 9w8 instead of 8w9. Although it really was more to do with depression than anything else, it made me realize how factors external to one's innate cognitive process can inform one's enneagram type.

    Not to digress too far, I think it's at least possible. I recently had a discussion with a friend who is ENFP about how there's a very pragmatic core to ENFPs that only becomes apparent as you get to know them. I think that core persona is very much compatible with enneagram 8 if the ENFP identifies more with it, than their more Ne-influenced traits. Who's to say that an 8 has to project power in the traditional, male-oriented way? Especially if one discovers that there's more power in exerting influence over one's environment otherwise? Or is what it means to be seen as strong such an objective thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I think if we reduce 8 down to:

    scared of losing control over their own life and being harmed, ENFP works fine.

    I have a whole theory about this, as it pertains to myself. I'm not sure I can put it into words very easily but I think this merits a whole thread topic, so I'm going to mull it over.

    But my theory pertained to inferior Si and how it makes me fear being overpowered by other people - because I end up feeling vulnerable in my body, for instance, in a crowd, because there's so much going on and I can't get any control over the details or the sensory input. Also Si pertains to my bodily experience of the world and how I interpret my senses? I have very strong awareness of what my food-cravings are, and how I ought to take care of myself, and how medications affect me. This is a very useful skill since I have a very serious chronic illness and take a lot of medications, and must fight for my health. I'm aware of my body, its limits, and what it needs , more than most of my doctors' other patients; but it seems to come from my subconscious and I can't put reasoning to it. It feels almost "psychic" to me, this awareness of body. It also contributes to my sense of carnality, and how that in itself makes me feel powerful and vulnerable at once.

    I'm going to try to get this into a cohesive post tomorrow.

    I was typed at Ne > Fe | Ti < Si by other people who know MBTI/JCF much better than I do, and I've only been learning about it from people for a matter of months. I'm not well-versed in the theory, though I've read the more advanced enneagram books. To me, inferior Si and type 8 kind of explains my whole life; gives me a lens through which I can make sense of it.

    It is interesting that you mention Ne/Si axis 8s having more control over their Si than their tertiary function. I do have extreme awareness of Si, and I'd say it's more present than my tertiary function. However, I'm confused. While I can easily see Fi and Fe in myself, I technically am an ENTP because Fe and Ti are there. I can see my tertiary Ti but not much Te in myself. I'm open to other opinions though, and it's possible that I am an ENFP and don't understand Te. However, I relate much more heavily to ENTP descriptions than ENFP. So, I can't really comment on that function as it pertains to myself, but I can say that whatever it is, I do seem much more hyper-aware of Si, and I also clearly see that it is definitely my inferior function.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  5. #4415
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    @Maybe

    ESTp (socionics SLE) and 8 work very well together because you have Fi point of least resistance (Fi plays no part in ESTP's life) and Si ignoring (ESTP's naturally ignore subjective sensations such as pain and internal body needs like hunger. I suppose Si could also help out with emotion.) Its as if Naranjo is describing SLE's directly and not the 8 itself.

    But as far as ENFp goes, if we reduce the functions entirely down to their most primitive form, we might still be able to fit 8 in there somewhere.

    Ne = scanning the immediate environment for that which isn't directly apparent.
    Fi = subjective ethics, being able to pick up on the internal emotional state of other people
    Te = objective logic, being able to judge facts as objective/subjective
    Si = subjective sensing, sensory data that is relevant only to the user such as nostalgic smells or awareness of homeostatic states.

    8's go to "excess" as an overcompensation due to lack of "aliveness." 8's value intense emotions, intense flavors, intense music, intense everything.

    So I think if you fit these characteristics you're probably an ENFP 8, or a disintegrated 2, or an 8 wing.

    I've also attributed E8 to being direct in their language as a result of their lack of caring about how they come off, as well as a lack of fear of conflict. This is not something an ENFP has ever proven to me that they're capable of doing. I find most ENFP's who have a problem with me tend to talk in strawman and speak through implications and double messages before saying something like, "You're pissing me off, stop." (there was a 9 who told me I was annoying once, however)

    I have almost never heard an enfp speak to me in that way.

    ENFJ 8's, however. Now that's a completely different story.

  6. #4416
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    edit: I just edited what specific traits I think 8's embody in case anybody looked at the previous version.

  7. #4417
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    @Maybe

    ESTp (socionics SLE) and 8 work very well together because you have Fi point of least resistance (Fi plays no part in ESTP's life) and Si ignoring (ESTP's naturally ignore subjective sensations such as pain and internal body needs like hunger. I suppose Si could also help out with emotion.) Its as if Naranjo is describing SLE's directly and not the 8 itself.

    But as far as ENFp goes, if we reduce the functions entirely down to their most primitive form, we might still be able to fit 8 in there somewhere.

    Ne = scanning the immediate environment for that which isn't directly apparent.
    Fi = subjective ethics, being able to pick up on the internal emotional state of other people
    Te = objective logic, being able to judge facts as objective/subjective
    Si = subjective sensing, sensory data that is relevant only to the user such as nostalgic smells or awareness of homeostatic states.

    8's go to "excess" as an overcompensation due to lack of "aliveness." 8's value intense emotions, intense flavors, intense music, intense everything.

    So I think if you fit these characteristics you're probably an ENFP 8, or a disintegrated 2, or an 8 wing.

    I've also attributed E8 to being direct in their language as a result of their lack of caring about how they come off, as well as a lack of fear of conflict. This is not something an ENFP has ever proven to me that they're capable of doing. I find most ENFP's who have a problem with me tend to talk in strawman and speak through implications and double messages before saying something like, "You're pissing me off, stop." (there was a 9 who told me I was annoying once, however)

    I have almost never heard an enfp speak to me in that way.

    ENFJ 8's, however. Now that's a completely different story.
    I'd say that a person's cognitive function set really has nothing to do with their type. Enneagram is about motivations and desires, while JCF/MBTI is about how your mind processes things. Any type can use any function set. Of course, some types will tend to go with certain function sets, and certain pairings are more LIKELY to be mistyped. But I don't see how ENFP is even among those for an 8. The type most often correlated with 8 is Se-dominant; and Ne dominant is not really that different... it's still an extroverted perceiving function, it's just that the Ne dom would read between the lines whereas the Se dom would see what's there, what they can gather through the senses. It makes sense to me that 8, being a body type, most in touch with body, and known as such a "carnal" type would be correlated with an Se mindset, but as a whole mind, Ne and Se dominants can look similar. It doesn't seem that far of a cry to me.

    But, the contradiction you mentioned is interesting, and it's something that I've run across on the forum. My writing style may not "seem" type 8-ish because it's not always concise and to the point. But, what's important to keep in mind is that my INTENTION is not to be indirect; it's just that I'm allowing my Ne ramble to come out. What you mention about 8s being less aware of what people think is true with me - and this is *why* I allow my posts to be that way.

    I'm direct when I have something direct to say. If someone pisses me off, I say it; no fear of conflict. I'm beyond straight-forward in my friendships, business dealings, and relationships. But no matter how honest and up front and open-book I am, I don't always seem direct and "to the point" in someone else's view, because of the way my mind works. I end up in inferior Si/ tertiary thinking rambles. I get lost in details. It ends up appearing indirect because my Ne is running rampant, I think? (This was pointed out to me recently.) But, the problem of "not caring/noticing how I come off to others" is why this happens. Sometimes I'm brash and blunt, and other times I might appear to "beat around the bush " - not because I'm intending to avoid something, but because I'm just letting my mind go forward and not double-checking myself. The *most* direct / honest thing I can do is ramble, lol!

    Not sure if that explains how an 8ish mentality can fit with ENFP, but that was what I thought of when you wrote that contradiction at the end. The contradiction you mention is that someone who is an ENFP doesn't SEEM direct, but in my case, that's just the presentation of my Ne-dom mind, and my intention is always to be direct. If I'm not going to be direct, I don't see much point in talking at all.

    Edit:

    8's go to "excess" as an overcompensation due to lack of "aliveness." 8's value intense emotions, intense flavors, intense music, intense everything.
    Haha, this is true - but imagine an 8 who values intensity and uses Ne, indulging in the correlations their mind is making, indulging in conversation, indulging in their perceptions?? If a person is a 5-fixed 8 and uses Ne, this kind of directness and yet, rambling presentation, seems especially likely.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  8. #4418
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I've also attributed E8 to being direct in their language as a result of their lack of caring about how they come off, as well as a lack of fear of conflict. This is not something an ENFP has ever proven to me that they're capable of doing. I find most ENFP's who have a problem with me tend to talk in strawman and speak through implications and double messages before saying something like, "You're pissing me off, stop." (there was a 9 who told me I was annoying once, however)

    I have almost never heard an enfp speak to me in that way.

    ENFJ 8's, however. Now that's a completely different story.
    Did you ever consider that this is because Ne is their dominant function and it is difficult for them to formulate their thoughts in a clear and concise manner that is appreciated by Se-valuing people such as yourself? I doubt that the ability to express yourself directly in speech/writing has much to do with our enneatypes. By that logic I would be an 8 too, particularly so because my thinking is casual-deterministic and I tend to write in absolutes due to inferior Te despite not intending to suggest it is absolute. Also, I swear a lot.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  9. #4419
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    @ Victor
    if I had to guess your type, I'd say INFJ 4w5>1w9>6w5 Sp/Sx
    Your guess has no basis in evidence or reason.

    And typing is a way to avoid spontaneous interaction, to keep others at a distance, to avoid intimacy, to treat others as things, and to exert your power.

  10. #4420
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Your guess has no basis in evidence or reason.

    And typing is a way to avoid spontaneous interaction, to keep others at a distance, to avoid intimacy, to treat others as things, and to exert your power.
    It's not power if you don't give it power. If someone knows their type, no amount of "you're not this type" will take that away from them.

    Also, this is a "mistypes" thread so that is what people do... they call out their opinions about others' types. If you don't like that concept you don't have to check the thread.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

Similar Threads

  1. TypeCentral Members Psychoanalyze Your Avatar for Free
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6948
    Last Post: 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM
  2. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  3. TypeCentral Members- Casting Call as Disney Characters
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 03:10 AM
  4. TypeCentral Members- Cast them as musicians
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  5. It's a mystery. (moved from Mistyped MBTIC Members)
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts