User Tag List

Page 389 of 701 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391399439489 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 7009

Thread: Mistyped TypeCentral Members

  1. #3881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Exactly. That is my point. It is not about behavior, but about the whys and hows, even in MBTI. Why does someone want (or not want) to fit in? In what way do they want to fit in? What does "fitting in" mean to them? What kind of group do they want to fit into, and where do they actually feel comfortable? What are they willing to do/sacrifice to fit in? How do they feel/react if rejected or eventually kicked out? As I mentioned on some thread (here?), any type can exhibit any behavior, but will have different reasons and methods for doing so.
    I agree with you ... but I found that instinctual variant descriptions just make more sense and are deeper when it comes to describing our interaction with the world.

    It's said that so-types are more naturally inclined towards wanting to fit in to groups, or belong to a larger group [though other types when under stress, and not getting the requirements of their dominant instinctual variant met will be pre-disposed towards engaging in behaviour that mimics other variants]. Therefore, it is logical to assume that even introverts with a dominant so-type would be naturally inclined towards wanting to belong to a group ... and on the flip, if an extrovert is an sp-type, then they may come across more as an introvert.

    If one is not naturally inclined to be a part of a group, then they are most likely an sp or an sx type. I think instinctual variants have some correlations with introversion and extroversion in MBTI terms ... and when Meyers-Briggs were talking about introversion or extroversion, they combined both the concepts of direction of energies proposed by Jung as well as over-looked a person's natural instincts which happen to be just better explained through Enneagrams.

  2. #3882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Same here. It's a bit frustrating in those moments where I decide to try to take it somewhat seriously.
    It is frustrating indeed not being able to determine one's type because of disorders.

    Took me more than a year of studying to finally figure it - but then I got hit with the Bipolar I diagnosis and that threw me off again. Now I've decided to stick with what I've typed myself as till new information reveals itself - which I doubt since I spent a year analysing every part of my brain through my journals, memories, e-mails, interactions ... left no stone unturned.

  3. #3883
    Senior Member Array Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I disagree. But would like you to elaborate on your thoughts.

    Fitting in, or not wanting to fit in is a motive, not a cognitive process as far as I can tell. In other words .. Enneagram as opposed to JCF.


    How can you have motives without first having thought processes? To be more clear, I think NFs tend to have these ideas about fitting in/ not fitting because of how they experience and think of the world.

  4. #3884
    Senior Member Array Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Thanks for agreeing. It seems everything that isn't blatantly NT is NF. As far as my motivation for not fitting into boxes: as I've said many times, I started out really wanting to fit into a box, because I like to categorize things. I just see the big picture when I think, and ultimately it didn't work. Now I've been forced to mostly abandon the idea of putting people into boxes in general.

    And about Enneagram in regards to me: 5w4 is just a guess. I really have no idea. But I'm curious as to which number you are thinking this corresponds to.
    It's not that anything NT is NF. It's just that you in particular seem NF.


    As for the usefulness of people in boxes, it's a 16 option system for nearly 7 million people. Of course it's not going to be perfectly fitted to you. It's just a general outline

  5. #3885
    F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    If I was mistyped, although I don't think I was, based on 1 test, and, 1 rather gratifying yet, brutally honest Wikipedia page about the MBTI type that I got. - If I was mistyped, although I doubt I actually was, can someone please move my blog out of the NT blog section and into whatever blog section turns out to be the section of my type's blogs?; If it turns out I'm not an NT, that is. - I'm still me, I both don't wanna and cba to make another blog, if that ever happens. TY, if you do. Gracias/Domo arigatou gozaimasu/Merci beaucoup, too...

    Stuff I've written, works of art, stories, screenplays and poetry/lyrics, that I've typed through this text analyzer engine that I found in a thread, here ; came back as another type, I deduce that..; I was influenced by that type? - IDK, I'm still the type that I got. - Well, I got a type, then remembered that the 'I and the E one' was really tough, so tough in fact; I took a while to answer that particular 'this or that' question, so I x'ed it; Based on what I've learned about MBTI types so far with my membership of this fine forum.

  6. #3886
    philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    It's not that anything NT is NF. It's just that you in particular seem NF.
    I know, that's the defense. But I don't think it's the entire truth. I think people are unconsciously (and consciously) biased based on stereotypes and psychological attachments they have to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    As for the usefulness of people in boxes, it's a 16 option system for nearly 7 million people. Of course it's not going to be perfectly fitted to you. It's just a general outline
    Which is why its usefulness and accuracy in describing anything is limited proportionally.

    These somewhat arbitrary categories we are so fond of remind me of Epicurus' idea of forms and the criticisms of them. What it comes down to is that we have a thinking awareness independent from objects, and forms are what we use to make sense of those; however we can never have true knowledge of the objects or the forms themselves.

    Furthermore, if it's expected to not be a perfect fit and only a general outline, I think you just argued against your own opinion. I can't be faulted in persisting in my notion that I fit a type well enough though not perfectly, if it's not expected to fit perfectly, nor is any other type. If all types are an imperfect fit, then degree of imperfection is more or less entirely subjective, and arguing the point is fruitless.

  7. #3887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    How can you have motives without first having thought processes?
    You can't (actually "can't" is a bit strong, motives can be subconscious), but that's not the point. If you want to explain motives and behavior it's best to look into another system, say the enneagram for example, as it's something catered to what you're looking at (fitting in/not fitting in). I think that's what Phoenix was getting at. It's also easier to observe, since fixations bleed into your actions. Plus, I've seen my fair share of NTs complain about fitting into boxes. It is the reasoning behind it that differs. How they go about reasoning would be MBTI territory, but the 'why' would be enneagram territory.

    To be more clear, I think NFs tend to have these ideas about fitting in/ not fitting because of how they experience and think of the world.
    How do NFs experience and think of the world that would lead to such thinking then?
    Last edited by Burger King; 10-29-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: clarification

  8. #3888
    philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    How can you have motives without first having thought processes? To be more clear, I think NFs tend to have these ideas about fitting in/ not fitting because of how they experience and think of the world.
    There are many notions of "fitting in." There is social acceptance, the individual fitting into a group, driven by Fe; there is conformity of the subjective experience and personal essence to definition and rational understanding, something Fi is resistant to; there is a personal relationship created by understanding of the former without such limitations, which Fi strives for; there is to have one's actions have affect in the world in an efficient manner, to make ideas of action consistent with effectiveness, which is striven for by Te; to have one's perceived ideas fit into an internally conceived logical framework, which is the goal of Ti; to have the individual who has perception of experiences fit into the big picture of everything which is the cause of experiences, which is the goal of Si; for information perceived by the senses to fit into a comprehensive picture of (concrete and tangible) reality, which is the goal of Se; the same for abstract and intangible reality which is Ne; and for all that is perceived with the intuition both external and internal to fit into the big picture of abstract and intangible reality from a subjective standpoint, which is Ni.

    Pray tell, which of these and in what order do you presume apply to me, and to what degree? Since you seem to think you know enough about my desire to fit in to label me NF.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You can't, but that's not the point. If you want to explain motives and behavior it's best to look into another system, say the enneagram for example, as it's something catered to what you're looking at (fitting in/not fitting in). I think that's what Phoenix was getting at. It's also easier to observe, since fixations bleed into your actions. Plus, I've seen my fair share of NTs complain about fitting into boxes. It is the reasoning behind it that differs. How they go about reasoning would be MBTI territory, but the 'why' would be enneagram territory.



    How do NFs experience and think of the world that would lead to such thinking then?
    Very interesting, and another phrasing of the above response.

  9. #3889
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Ok I am going to out myself. I´m a FAKE INFP. There I said it.

    I like music waaaay too much, have been known to dance for hours to good music, lose myself to the sound-feeling, I´ve described it as melding. I used to love clubbing during my younger days. I appreciate the sound not so much as the lyrics. I´m practical and William James´s quote on philosophy sums up my thoughts on the subject ¨Most of philosophy is meaningless because their questions don´t make a difference. If the question makes a difference makes the question meaningfull, if not, not...¨ Just a bunch of mental masturbation. I like mainstream things to boot! I´ve never had a creative outlet, i.e. playing an instrument, writing, sculpting etc.

    I feel so dirty for being such a fraud *wrists*

    P.S. Don´t hate me too much ventrilo regulars, I can no longer live the LIE!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #3890
    philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    If I was mistyped, although I don't think I was, based on 1 test, and, 1 rather gratifying yet, brutally honest Wikipedia page about the MBTI type that I got. - If I was mistyped, although I doubt I actually was, can someone please move my blog out of the NT blog section and into whatever blog section turns out to be the section of my type's blogs?; If it turns out I'm not an NT, that is. - I'm still me, I both don't wanna and cba to make another blog, if that ever happens. TY, if you do. Gracias/Domo arigatou gozaimasu/Merci beaucoup, too...

    Stuff I've written, works of art, stories, screenplays and poetry/lyrics, that I've typed through this text analyzer engine that I found in a thread, here ; came back as another type, I deduce that..; I was influenced by that type? - IDK, I'm still the type that I got. - Well, I got a type, then remembered that the 'I and the E one' was really tough, so tough in fact; I took a while to answer that particular 'this or that' question, so I x'ed it; Based on what I've learned about MBTI types so far with my membership of this fine forum.
    I think a good method for distinguishing I and E preferences is to look at the dominant and inferior functions; ENTP is Ne dominant and INTP is Ti dominant. The dominant function drives your thought processes and frames how you understand the world. Ne is perceiving and Ti is judging. Is it more natural for you to take in information and process it into a framework as the need arises, preferring to interact with the world, or to maintain a logical framework and limit incoming information until it can be assimilated, preferring to observe the world? ENTP has inferior Si, and INTP has inferior Fe. The inferior function is one you use in conjunction with your other active processes, but not very well. (The shadow functions by contrast are rather passive functions, surfacing when they are needed by the active ones.) I'd rather not try to summarize the inferior functions here, but there are great articles about them. Lastly, do you feel the need to spend the majority of your time socializing, or simply enjoy it? Conversely, do you feel the need to spend a certain amount of time alone until you make the decision not to be, or do you more of the time spend time alone because circumstances necessitate it?

Similar Threads

  1. TypeCentral Members Psychoanalyze Your Avatar for Free
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6674
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM
  2. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  3. TypeCentral Members- Casting Call as Disney Characters
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 03:10 AM
  4. TypeCentral Members- Cast them as musicians
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  5. It's a mystery. (moved from Mistyped MBTIC Members)
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •