• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I sometimes wonder if I'm ESFJ. I do seem to focus on the needs of other people/am concerned with what they think about me, but this has lessened as I've gotten older. But I'm a bit of a playful trickster too. Probably somewhere in the ESF category?

Fe can be playful too, and Se doms can focus on others as well... I'd concentrate on others more clear differences.
Agree with Five to One, but wanted to add...I've been around the typology community for years, and one thing I constantly see people doing is getting distracted by extraneous behavioral components of the systems as opposed to keeping it simple and sticking with the core definitions of things. What is a Thinker in dichotomies? What is a Feeler in dichotomies? What is Se (if you like functions, which you seem to)? They go around questioning and doubting because "...but ENFPs are supposed to be like this," or, "INTPs don't get emotional, they're just robots," or, "Ns can't have passion for aesthetics, that's an Se thing." Ok, but what sources claim this? Is that a meme? Prioritize information and understand what you should and should not omit based on credibility of the sources. Jung, Official MBTI (still sucks but it's better than IDR Labs BS), MBTI Facets, MBTI Manual, etc. People drive themselves nuts focusing on teeny and vague details that really miss the entire definition. Is it actually type related or just a Forer Effect? Every type can be into aesthetics...although if you want N/S distinction, S types are generally more naturally on the production end and Ns lean toward underlying meanings and being the ideaperson usually, because that's what N/S is: concrete vs abstract.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sometimes wonder if I'm ESFJ. I do seem to focus on the needs of other people/am concerned with what they think about me, but this has lessened as I've gotten older. But I'm a bit of a playful trickster too. Probably somewhere in the ESF category?

About being focused on others' needs and being concerned with what they think of you.... Fe types I know are VERY VERY MUCH concerned with that.

The question is why focusing on others' needs, which way, what for, is there a goal for your own job/believes/satisfaction ? OR something else ?

What they think of you, in which situation exactly and how often ?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well then that may be the fault of the dominant moon in my astral chart:rly???:

Anyway I am not a robot and maybe I get so many different results because I don't wanna fit in those boxes drawn by illogical questions (or not precise enough sorry but generalities suck).

To be questioned though....
Many of those test questions are, well, questionable in getting at one's real type as far as I'm concerned, but then I am no expert. It's fine to do a test or two, but it is even more helpful to review type descriptions, and discuss with people who know you well and are conversant with MBTI. If all three agree, you probably have your best fit type. Note: best fit, not perfect fit, for the reasons you mention.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
About being focused on others' needs and being concerned with what they think of you.... Fe types I know are VERY VERY MUCH concerned with that.
This is very changeable and sort of implies that Fi users' insecurity can't manifest as caring about what people think.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ

The question is why focusing on others' needs, which way, what for, is there a goal for your own job/believes/satisfaction ? OR something else ?

What they think of you, in which situation exactly and how often ?

I focus on others needs probably because an internal "feeling" compels me to do it (there's always a "cognitive" reason of course but that's pretty generic). I do care about what people think of me, I think it's possibly related to low self-awareness. I look to others then to fill in the gaps.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I focus on others needs probably because an internal "feeling" compels me to do it (there's always a "cognitive" reason of course but that's pretty generic). I do care about what people think of me, I think it's possibly related to low self-awareness. I look to others then to fill in the gaps.
Why is that generic?

Amberiat

Infinity
Nobody is a 4, not even me.

We're all delusional 9's?

tumblr_pnkdbcZioW1xcraa5o1_250.gif

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I disagree with this much. I do think our type is innate and unchanging, much like our handedness. Introversion and extraversion have been linked to observable differences in brain physiology. So have some traits associated with the Big 5 conscientiousness factor, though the evidence here is thinner. This doesn't constrain our actions or choices, however, which may explain why it seems we are changing type. We can behave in a way that resembles some other type when it suits our purposes. The older we get, the more aware and comfortable we often get with our less preferred functions, too. This is why typing someone based on observable behavior is usually questionable.

Unfortunately MBTI is based in heuristic observation of Jung's patients, through psychological types. In other words: He based the entire theory around the idea of observable behaviour.

Everything else that followed came out from that source.

Also type descriptions are based in listing the tendencies of behaviour each type will lean towards. Best fit rather than perfect fit....maybe..but more likely to be no fit and bad fit.

I understand the urge behind typology; it leaps out of the human tendency to want to know more, to fill in the gaps between the known and unknown. But I think there is an inherent agnostisism to existence that no one answer can really account for. And so I respect the urge behind leaps of intuition about why or what, but I don't necessarily give much credit to the settled ideas that are produced by that urge, depending on what it is and backed up by.

Truth always moves along and you can end up chasing your own tail for a long time. With empiricism, though, you get the technical examination of causal units & that can help immensely in supporting an idea or theory. MBTI's empiricism goes about as far as tautologies based around what jobs people choose...and whatever it was Dario Nardi was trying to do with his EEG scans.

But that's why I respect the leap of intuition, it's that which drives our discoveries, not necessarily the scientific method itself (which is more of a tool) but the housing of an idea into that measurable framework.

After all, the infamous Descartes (and I'm not even a fan of his) phrase was about acknowledging some existence, somewhere, somehow in some form, but it wasn't about telling us that there was either a full subjective existence or objective existence, only that there must be some existence.

That's what people misunderstand about that line of thinking & they misunderstand it when it comes to theories like this one, too.

So I'm not sure where this leaves MBTI; it hasn't got much room to grow from my perspective.....but I could be wrong.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Not sure what's wrong with me, but I've been relating to many of the different types recently. ENFJ is the current one.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I love that my very old trollish thread is still going. :saturned:

Clegane

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd like to reach a point in which some users know me and start mentioning me in such threads but then I remember that I'm just a self absorbed prick who mostly answers to his own threads who talk about himself.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to reach a point in which some users know me and start mentioning me in such threads but then I remember that I'm just a self absorbed prick who mostly answers to his own threads who talk about himself.