• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Starry

Whoa...that post went in the direction of Feeling (and there was a point I was going to make that I no longer remember um)...but I'm too simpleminded for this kind of social stuff. At the end of the day I don't care enough about type to be walking into these kinds of traps. If there are going to be people hurt by this then omg I'm not doing it...even in instances when I had never intended to in the first place but did because I was told I was too simpleminded haha. No...I think people should never ask for what they don't want. But it seems more and more this is becoming hurtful to others and since I don't think people are going to be able to remember who does and does not want their type questioned...TypoC will have to decide which way to go on this. We are still talking about Typology right? Okay...yah...I can't be the person being attacked for typing and not typing others...or merely having a different opinion regarding typology haha. I have too much pride for that haha.

**I should say that I have been helped by typology and figure others might be too. Even when people get it terribly wrong...I will always believe that the majority of people here are sharing their opinions because they want people to experience that benefit. And frankly, if I'm dipping my fries differently than other ENFPs I sure the hell want to know about it haha.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Whoa...that post went in the direction of Feeling (and there was a point I was going to make that I no longer remember um)...but I'm too simpleminded for this kind of social stuff. At the end of the day I don't care enough about type to be walking into these kinds of traps. If there are going to be people hurt by this then omg I'm not doing it...even in instances when I had never intended to in the first place but did because I was told I was too simpleminded haha. No...I think people should never ask for what they don't want. But it seems more and more this is becoming hurtful to others and since I don't think people are going to be able to remember who does and does not want their type questioned...TypoC will have to decide which way to go on this. We are still talking about Typology right? Okay...yah...I can't be the person being attacked for typing and not typing others...or merely having a different opinion regarding typology haha. I have too much pride for that haha.

yeah, I get it. I just find it depressing when people feel pressured to not share their (typically well-intended) thoughts. A lot of potential knowledge is lost and insight along with it.

In a venue like this, it just feels like it's defeating the purpose. A rule against would kill most of the appeal. Especially since it seems like a situation that would be very easy to resolve with upfront communication by the specific and relevant parties.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^Yeah I don't think there should be a ban on suggesting a type or pointing out a possible mistype. People need to understand that not agreeing with their listed type is not an attack.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Yeah I don't think there should be a ban on suggesting a type or pointing out a possible mistype. People need to understand that not agreeing with their listed type is not an attack.

I agree. Unless if that person keeps badgering on that you're type X instead of the type you identify with. Then that's just annoying.

One user kept saying that I was a Nine and stating all my posts were what Nines would say. Even though I said multiple times that my tritype was already settled.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, if it's harassment, insults, ridicule, off-topic, etc., it's.. whatever of those it is.. regardless of whether you're talking typology or not.

If someone stalks your wall lying in wait for the opportunity to let you know goddamn well that you're an INFP, PMs you daily with what an INFP you are, and reps all of your posts with "you're an INFP :mad:" especially after you've told them to leave you alone, that's still a bad thing.

So we don't have any typology-specific rules.. but we don't really have typology-specific exceptions, either.

And just like with any sort of discussion, it sucks when people get discouraged from partaking for the wrong reasons. Don't beat people over the head with a hammer, because that's annoying as shit, but don't allow someone to stab you in the fuckin gullet either.

So yeah feel free to report and all if shit goes down

Starry

Well, if it's harassment, insults, ridicule, off-topic, etc., it's.. whatever of those it is.. regardless of whether you're talking typology or not.

If someone stalks your wall lying in wait for the opportunity to let you know goddamn well that you're an INFP, PMs you daily with what an INFP you are, and reps all of your posts with "you're an INFP :mad:" especially after you've told them to leave you alone, that's still a bad thing.

So we don't have any typology-specific rules.. but we don't really have typology-specific exceptions, either.

And just like with any sort of discussion, it sucks when people get discouraged from partaking for the wrong reasons. Don't beat people over the head with a hammer, because that's annoying as shit, but don't allow someone to stab you in the fuckin gullet either.

Thank you for this post. I'm encouraged by the fact [MENTION=11928]Kierva[/MENTION] "liked" it as I'm hoping this means he now understands that people are allowed their own opinions at TypoC

This is how it has always been though. And frankly, if someone is stalking another individual regarding their type...or someone is harassing you because you have a different opinion of another members type...type is not your problem.

I would encourage the mods to keep an eye on this issue though. I think people underestimate just how much discussion is centered around members discussing other member's type. And since many people look for direction concerning how to feel about something...perhaps it would be worth a word or two to new members idk. There just seems to be more and more confusion as each year passes...and I imagine most members don't want to risk hurting another member's feelings/ego/whatever in the process of giving them what they think they want...or in some cases...what they literally requested. Thanks so much!

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

For me, it occurred on a different typology forum. The guy was infamous for pigeonholing 90% of the members into attachment types.

In retrospect, I should've just reported him. At least he would've backed down from messing with others' self-perception. But I thought that it wasn't a big deal to get worked up about. Plus I was afraid I'd look like someone who couldn't handle dissenting opinions. I know better now.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for this post. I'm encouraged by the fact [MENTION=11928]Kierva[/MENTION] "liked" it as I'm hoping this means he now understands that people are allowed their own opinions at TypoC

This is how it has always been though. And frankly, if someone is stalking another individual regarding their type...or someone is harassing you because you have a different opinion of another members type...type is not your problem.

I would encourage the mods to keep an eye on this issue though. I think people underestimate just how much discussion is centered around members discussing other member's type. And since many people look for direction concerning how to feel about something...perhaps it would be worth a word or two to new members idk. There just seems to be more and more confusion as each year passes...and I imagine most members don't want to risk hurting another member's feelings/ego/whatever in the process of giving them what they think they want...or in some cases...what they literally requested. Thanks so much!

Misinterpreting much. I liked what he had to say about harassing, especially this:

If someone stalks your wall lying in wait for the opportunity to let you know goddamn well that you're an INFP, PMs you daily with what an INFP you are, and reps all of your posts with "you're an INFP " especially after you've told them to leave you alone, that's still a bad thing.

I've been on the receiving end of that and I know what it feels like. I'm glad that hardline action is taken against such an occurrence. It has nothing to do with what you think is "he now understands that people are allowed their own opinions at TypoC".

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^Oh yeah, and I've also noticed how some members get cocky over their understanding of typology. (Haven't seen it on this forum though.) They end up pushing an MBTI or Enneagram type on someone else. Seriously, things like that anger me. I don't care how long they've studied the system. At least be considerate before giving them the suggestion. They aren't even helping them find their type. They just think they know their targets better than they know themselves.

Then it ends up becoming a huge game of disgusting power-plays and unnecessary dick-jousting.

Starry

^^Oh yeah, and I've also noticed how some members get cocky over their understanding of typology. (Haven't seen it on this forum though.) They end up pushing an MBTI or Enneagram type on someone else. Seriously, things like that anger me. I don't care how long they've studied the system. At least be considerate before giving them the suggestion. They aren't even helping them find their type. They just think they know their targets better than they know themselves.

Then it ends up becoming a huge game of disgusting power-plays and unnecessary dick-jousting.

Thanks for this because having just had my own type related explanations mocked in a few different places on this forum for not being "up to a certain intellectual standard/sophisticated enough"...it reminds me of having wanted to emphasize that typology isn't an exclusive club. There are lots of people here at varying degrees of understanding, different styles and methods, different ways of looking at the same thing...and I'd like to think there was room for all of it. This is how many people come to understand typology in a meaningful way...long before they might be able to align themselves with *typology's elite.*

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Thanks for this because having just had my own type related explanations mocked in a few different places on this forum for not being "up to a certain intellectual standard/sophisticated enough"...it reminds me of having wanted to emphasize that typology isn't an exclusive club. There are lots of people here at varying degrees of understanding, different styles and methods, different ways of looking at the same thing...and I'd like to think there was room for all of it. This is how many people come to understand typology in a meaningful way...long before they might be able to align themselves with *typology's elite.*

Assuming we focus on an established member such as yourself: criticizing somebody's type is often a thinly veiled attempt to "get at them". Said person is trying to undermine your self-confidence and create a negative feedback loop whereby you become easy to pry and poke, to take apart and (ultimately) be driven away.

I won't deal in innuendo here: this has happened to me before, and it will happen to me again. And I have nothing but contempt for anyone who is so weak that they must project their own insecurities onto me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assuming we focus on an established member such as yourself: criticizing somebody's type is often a thinly veiled attempt to "get at them". Said person is trying to undermine your self-confidence and create a negative feedback loop whereby you become easy to pry and poke, to take apart and (ultimately) be driven away.

I won't deal in innuendo here: this has happened to me before, and it will happen to me again. And I have nothing but contempt for anyone who is so weak that they must project their own insecurities onto me.

Happened to me too.

Starry

^yah, I think I mentioned yesterday that I've had someone take to insulting me using typing as a guise.

I think what is confusing though for people is what qualifies as an insult. I've seen supposed Intuitives lose it because someone suggested they were a Sensor. 4s feel undermined because someone said they were a 6. And do established member's opinions carry more weight? I never think of it that way which is why I said I don't get social stuff. Should I not share my opinion of E_Ds type in his type me thread if I'm an older ENFP member and don't think he's an ENFP? I imagine that would have saved me some grief.

I don't really care so much myself anymore...but I do think these thoughts are feedback thread worthy. (I'm on my phone and can't seem to quote)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^yah, I think I mentioned yesterday that I've had someone take to insulting me using typing as a guise.

I think what is confusing though for people is what qualifies as an insult. I've seen supposed Intuitives lose it because someone suggested they were a Sensor. 4s feel undermined because someone said they were a 6. And do established member's opinions carry more weight? I never think of it that way which is why I said I don't get social stuff. Should I not share my opinion of E_Ds type in his type me thread if I'm an older ENFP member and don't think he's an ENFP? I imagine that would have saved me some grief.

I don't really care so much myself anymore...but I do think these thoughts are feedback thread worthy. (I'm on my phone and can't seem to quote)

It didn't bother me that people were suggesting I was a sensor so much as their refusal to adequately explain their reasoning beyond what appeared to be a rudimentary understanding of socionics and mbti and the few examples they gave were lifted directly from poorly written internet type profiles then reinforced by their own bias rather than any real objective attempts to type me. Furthermore, I hadn't asked at the time; they just decided to mention me as mistyped, then got several others to back them up. This person was very good at manipulating others to believe their own biased and faulty conclusions.

I type consistently as an LII but I am open to sensor typings if people can back their claims up with some good reasoning and logic. Sometimes I even appreciate others perspectives because as much time as I spend self-analyzing, I may have overlooked something or not been objective...confirmation bias is easy to reinforce without stepping back.

The person who started this is long gone from the forum but they had a habit of doing this to a number of members.

Starry

There's a theory for how iNtuitives become iNtuitives that has to do with brain development and while unflattering I guess (I don't value things in the same way as others seem to) makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I have been raked over the coals by iNtuitives for sharing it a couple times haha

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a theory for how iNtuitives become iNtuitives that has to do with brain development and while unflattering I guess (I don't value things in the same way as others seem to) makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I have been raked over the coals by iNtuitives for sharing it a couple times haha

Can you elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

The boy who worked for Santa Claus?

Dudley Moore?

Starry

[MENTION=19700]Anaximander[/MENTION]

Yah your last post contains so many of the elements that I think causes confusion all around.

Should a rule be made that a person can't question another's type unless they specifically ask? That would render this thread unnecessary I imagine. And then for people like me that are interested in other peoples opinions when they arise I can insert "question my type anytime" in my sig. <-that actually sounds like a terrible idea for the sig haha

I don't think of any type as being "better" than the other...I've only had issues when a member has been like "I think you're X type because you are a shit". IOW the type itself meant nothing...it was only a vehicle to insult me. But we are lying to ourselves if we say that others don't feel the same. you have always seemed open to all typings but I've seen and have now experienced people insult a reasonable typer/typing just because they didn't like what was suggested. Again, i do not think you are doing this but I've seen it..."I'm not XSXX because your explanation sucks/you're a dumbass/you're just trying to undermine me" I've seen it all ways.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forever's Mistype List as of August 2016

It's almost exactly 3 years I've been on this forum.

Crazy of the plethora of types and perspectives are on this forum during my time here.

Without further ado...

I present you who I think is currently mistyped and their suspected types.

[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] : ExFJ
[MENTION=22089]ESFJ[/MENTION] : ISFP
[MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION] : xSFJ
[MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION] : xNFP
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]: IxFx
[MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] : INFP

So there. I'll put anyone else on if it is of concern or wait for the next edition whenever that comes out. :coffee:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] I agree with one of those... the obvious one. Do you have reasoning for the others'?