User Tag List

Page 241 of 701 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 7009

Thread: Mistyped TypeCentral Members

  1. #2401
    4x9 Array cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Why is the goal in typing yourself to be objective? It's a preference system isn't it?

    "Do I prefer hawaiian or pepperoni pizza? I think I prefer hawaiian but I'll have to ask my friends (or random people on the internet) just to be sure..."
    lol re. the pizza example. Not really the same thing, but I get what you're saying.

    It's just something I've noticed about myself. I might *think* I'm such and such a way, or I might think I come across a certain way, but what I think/perceive about myself might be quite different from how I actually come across to everyone else, or in comparison/contrast to everyone else. And, even though I think I'm a certain way -- say, even if I think I'm the most awesome piano player in the entire world (which I don't think, lol) -- in comparison to people who actually ARE genius piano players, I am not.

    If we were going by 'preferences' and assessing those preferences from things such as test-taking (which, ultimately is me assessing myself, but as has already been discussed, the questions themselves can be poor), I am INTJ. If this site had been up and running from 2000-2004, I'd be registered as INTJ, as I had only done the tests and didn't know much else nor had I interacted with the various types to really know.

    End of story!! woo hoo!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  2. #2402
    Blah Array Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    INFP

    (word choices & style, previous choices indicate - INP)
    (wants to believe everyone is a special snowflake, doubts legitimacy of typing overall, repeats what has already been said in order to express agreement - F)



    Seriously though, the "legitimacy" of typing depends on how you define the word (and I won't go into that right now.) And the whole "special snowflake" thing has, in my view, no bearing on typology. Sure, no single person has the same phenomenological experience as any other person. That is why it is the person themself that ultimately has epistemological authority when it comes to their own typing. But that is not to say that, because everyone is unique in some regard, that they cannot be more or less accurately categorized in a system like MBTI (not to say that MBTI is at all accurate.)

    Oh, and finally, repetition is a key rhetorical strategy that is effective in embedding your argument into the consciousness of your audience. Moreover, I could just as easily been expressing disagreement with you as agreement with others.

    P.S. I know you weren't being serious. I'm just in a typing mood :workout:.

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    You don't think though that when it comes to certain personality traits - notably external ones/behaviors - that outsiders aren't sometimes able to be more objective than you yourself?

    I would agree outsiders can't possibly know the inner workings/thought processes, or even motivations, but I do think an outsider would be in a better position to label whether someone was utilizing Te more than Fe, for example. Or Ne vs. Se. I mean, mbti is just a categorical system, anyway - it's not the end all be all. So I guess I've never been offended when others have pointed out something about me... I'm more like, 'Huh? Really?' Now, I may not agree, but it would be interesting to me, as a lot of it can boil down to differing perceptions. So, with that, we also all have different ideas of what constitutes each particular personality type.

    As for myself, I guess I've always tended to default my personality type to what everyone else views me as, because for one I don't particularly care, and for another thing, I tend to believe I am not in a position to be completely objective in terms of assessing my own personality -- *in terms of mbti categories* -- although I would agree with those saying it's ludicrous to think strangers can know you better than you yourself do. I'm not trying to contradict myself, I swear. I know who I am better than anyone else does, BUT I may not be in the best position to objectively place myself into one of 16 categories.
    But being is not necessarily appearance.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  3. #2403
    Energizer Bunny Array Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    More ENTP propaganda. :rolli:

    There are as many if not more Ts who make such arguments against MBTI around here.

    Let's review: MBTI was created by an INFP.
    INFPs are also one of the most common types to be interested in typology. Clearly, we buy into these categories happily.

    And that's not even what Orangey's post was saying. She's just saying it's ridiculous to type an anonymous stranger online, especially considering it's hard enough to type yourself. Nothing about uniqueness or questing the theory.
    Do you see how your arguments logically exclude each other?

    Either she is INFP and isn't questioning the theory, or she isn't INFP and is questioning the theory. You've said INFPs tend not to question it, and also that she is not questioning it.



    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm clearly an ESFP.

    Everyone stop humoring me.
    -concise, meta, proper spelling/grammar: N
    -aim at interrupting heated argument: F
    -drawing attention to self, appealing to everyone: E
    -overly firm and swift judgements: would be J, but due to ENF nature and lack of consistency, as well as debate context, P

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Why is the goal in typing yourself to be objective? It's a preference system isn't it?

    "Do I prefer hawaiian or pepperoni pizza? I think I prefer hawaiian but I'll have to ask my friends (or random people on the internet) just to be sure..."
    "But you always eat twice as much pepperoni pizza as you do hawaiian... are you sure you actually like hawaiian better or are you just saying that for other reasons (friends like hawaiian, facilitate ordering, want to be seen as the type of person who likes hawaiian pizza etc.)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    [IMG]*bap*[/IMG]
    ~.~

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post


    Seriously though, the "legitimacy" of typing depends on how you define the word (and I won't go into that right now.) And the whole "special snowflake" thing has, in my view, no bearing on typology. Sure, no single person has the same phenomenological experience as any other person. That is why it is the person themself that ultimately has epistemological authority when it comes to their own typing. But that is not to say that, because everyone is unique in some regard, that they cannot be more or less accurately categorized in a system like MBTI (not to say that MBTI is at all accurate.)

    Oh, and finally, repetition is a key rhetorical strategy that is effective in embedding your argument into the consciousness of your audience. Moreover, I could just as easily been expressing disagreement with you as agreement with others.

    P.S. I know you weren't being serious. I'm just in a typing mood :workout:.
    Defense of Tness: successful.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  4. #2404
    Reason vs Being Array ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    What does an INTP girlfight look like again?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  5. #2405
    One day and the next Array Rainne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    What does an INTP girlfight look like again?

  6. #2406
    Energizer Bunny Array Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    What does an INTP girlfight look like again?
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFWP0_RzOs"]artistic interpretation[/YOUTUBE]
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  7. #2407
    Sugar Hiccup Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Do you see how your arguments logically exclude each other?

    Either she is INFP and isn't questioning the theory, or she isn't INFP and is questioning the theory. You've said INFPs tend not to question it, and also that she is not questioning it.
    And your conclusion makes no sense, because I did not say that INFPs are the only type who do not question the theory. I didn't say no INFPs ever question the theory either. It's a perception bias that some around here carry & like to purport as fact.

    Typical response from an NTP though - latching onto some nonexistent claim and making ridiculous, unfounded statements to back an idea that had no basis in reality to begin with.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

  8. #2408
    Permabanned Array
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post

    -concise, meta, proper spelling/grammar: N
    Tsk, tsk...I think this is also a trait of SJs, not just Ns,but I suppose you're saying that if I were ESFP it wouldn't be the case. I tend to agree, actually, simply based on my personal experience with SFPs.

    -aim at interrupting heated argument: F
    -drawing attention to self, appealing to everyone: E
    -overly firm and swift judgements: would be J, but due to ENF nature and lack of consistency, as well as debate context, P
    Thanks!

  9. #2409
    Blah Array Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Defense of Tness: successful.
    Hoorah
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  10. #2410
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Why is the goal in typing yourself to be objective? It's a preference system isn't it?

    "Do I prefer hawaiian or pepperoni pizza? I think I prefer hawaiian but I'll have to ask my friends (or random people on the internet) just to be sure..."
    because the eight cognitive functions as theorized by Jung are scientifically proven to exist, to be mutually exclusive, and to span the entire domain of thought when taken as a complete set

    oh

    wait



    naw dudes, this ain't so bad.. there's one forum out there that gave serious consideration to forcing people to take on types that "made sense" so that the theory could be explored and understood meaningfully


Similar Threads

  1. TypeCentral Members Psychoanalyze Your Avatar for Free
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6674
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM
  2. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  3. TypeCentral Members- Casting Call as Disney Characters
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 03:10 AM
  4. TypeCentral Members- Cast them as musicians
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  5. It's a mystery. (moved from Mistyped MBTIC Members)
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •