MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I thought you were blairvoyant?
    I am

I'm using the socratic method

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

not to be trusted Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so

There's a difference between asking a person why they think they ARE their type and accusing them of not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground... and some people tend to do the later in this thread as opposed to the former
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Energizer Bunny Array Resonance's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    There's a difference between asking a person why they think they ARE their type and accusing them of not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground... and some people tend to do the later in this thread as opposed to the former
    Simply asking doesn't allow you to gauge their certainty, though, so you still won't know how they'll respond to your opinion without offering it.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

not to be trusted Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so

there's a difference between telling someone that they are wrong that some have (and then arguing for page after page after page with the person in question about why they aren't their type) and merely asking
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Reason vs Being Array ragashree's Avatar
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    @all these anti-typenazis: Why does it bother you so much?
    This is not one of those issues that really benefits from lengthy analysis, because ths issue is quite simply this. In making alternative suggestions for someone's type you are either going to come across as:

1) Being helpful by sharing your own experiences and knowledge in order to help them understand themselves better.

or

2) Engaging in psychological one-upmanship by implying that you know them better than they know themselves.

It's possible that position 1 may be misinterpreted as position 2, but that can usually be cleared up if the debate continues and the person making the type suggestion treats the debate and the person they are discussing it with in a respectful way. If they do not do so, it is reasonable to infer from their very lack of respect that they are indeed coming from position 2.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Post-Humorously Array stalemate's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Ok smartass why is it rude and annoying?
    Continually doing something to someone else that is against their wishes is, at best, rude. This is just how things work. If there is a "why," I am not capable of articulating it.

Post-Humorously Array stalemate's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

there's a difference between telling someone that they are wrong that some have (and then arguing for page after page after page with the person in question about why they aren't their type) and merely asking
    I thought I covered this with the "beat over the head" portion of my "smart ass" post...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    This is not one of those issues that really benefits from lengthy analysis, because ths issue is quite simply this. In making alternative suggestions for someone's type you are either going to come across as:

1) Being helpful by sharing your own experiences and knowledge in order to help them understand themselves better.

or

2) Engaging in psychological one-upmanship by implying that you know them better than they know themselves.

It's possible that position 1 may be misinterpreted as position 2, but that can usually be cleared up if the debate continues and the person making the type suggestion treats the debate and the person they are discussing it with in a respectful way. If they do not do so, it is reasonable to infer from their very lack of respect that they are indeed coming from position 2.
    In theory, yes.

However, my experience is that most people treat everything as type 2 and any further analysis only cements that assumption.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

ok... I don't see how that is different from what you said before

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    Continually doing something to someone else that is against their wishes is, at best, rude. This is just how things work. If there is a "why," I am not capable of articulating it.
    ok, but there is a difference between 'I don't want to talk about this anymore, so please stop asking' and pages and pages of 'I TOTALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD EVER QUESTION ANYONE'S TYPE AND PEOPLE WHO DO THAT OR WOULD WANT TO DO THAT ARE IDIOTS AND I HATE THEM'

Reason vs Being Array ragashree's Avatar
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

In theory, yes.

However, my experience is that most people treat everything as type 2 and any further analysis only cements that assumption.
    So, and think carefully about this; whose problem would that end up being? The analyst's, or the analysand's?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...