• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yes, apparently, I dont believe its a correct valuation, as I'm no Holmes.

Well I'm a fan of Holmes.

On the other hand the Holmes type is actually villified here.

What do you mean? MBTI type? The detailed method of deduction piecing together the facts piece by piece by using a vast repertoire of knowledge about the world, type? Or some other angle?

Lark

Well I'm a fan of Holmes.

What do you mean? MBTI type? The detailed method of deduction piecing together the facts piece by piece by using a vast repertoire of knowledge about the world, type? Or some other angle?

MBTI type.

ISTJ is the holmes type, at least I've read two books now with persuasively say so, Jung also thought that S was superior to N but this forum thinks otherwise and casually labels, with little information really, people as S rather than N if they dont like them, also SJ gets associated with kneejerk reactionary thinking, yes, Holmes, that great anti-liberal icon :laugh:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
MBTI type.

ISTJ is the holmes type, at least I've read two books now with persuasively say so, Jung also thought that S was superior to N but this forum thinks otherwise and casually labels, with little information really, people as S rather than N if they dont like them, also SJ gets associated with kneejerk reactionary thinking, yes, Holmes, that great anti-liberal icon :laugh:

Oh yes, i'm well aware of all that. My view is that there are plenty of stupid intuitives, but personal bias causes most to label them as sensing types.

I remember a discussion on Sherlock on the Personality cafe forums a while back. I suggested ISTJ and many laughed it off claiming INTJ...the reasons used were shockingly poor. Essentially they threw out all sensing types based entirely upon his brilliant deductions.

Because putting information together quickly AND efficiently could only have come from an intuitive. Why? I asked....no answer. Sherlock, at least in the books, oozes Si data recognition and recall and he uses it in an enviously brilliant way.

Of course he is only fictional, but that never stops anyone else admiring intuitive characters.

Lark

Oh yes, i'm well aware of all that. My view is that there are plenty of stupid intuitives, but personal bias causes most to label them as sensing types.

I remember a discussion on Sherlock on the Personality cafe forums a while back. I suggested ISTJ and many laughed it off claiming INTJ...the reasons used were shockingly poor. Essentially they threw out all sensing types based entirely upon his brilliant deductions.

Because putting information together quickly AND efficiently could only have come from an intuitive. Why? I asked....no answer. Sherlock, at least in the books, oozes Si data recognition and recall and he uses it in an enviously brilliant way.

Of course he is only fictional, but that never stops anyone else admiring intuitive characters.

The book I read was called How To Think Like Sherlock Holmes and it made a very persuasive case for him definitely being ISTJ, given what I've read about Sensing and Intuition in Jung it makes sense too, Jung felt that intuitives were inattentive generalisers, could easily miss what is actually happening, actually being said or the detail because of a tendency to "fill in the gaps" or substitute ideas for the present reality, not enviable traits at all.

Although most online MBTI forums seem to have inverted Jung's understanding at least and consider sensors to be unable to grasp ideas or see a bigger picture, to be honest I think that both are crass stereotypes of the trait at its very worst rather than its best.

Deduction and evidence based thinking seems to be totally a sensing function set, I know that I'm more inclined towards intuition myself but hopefully not the worst example of it because I try to be reflective about what my personality typology means and compensate for the weaknesses.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The book I read was called How To Think Like Sherlock Holmes and it made a very persuasive case for him definitely being ISTJ, given what I've read about Sensing and Intuition in Jung it makes sense too, Jung felt that intuitives were inattentive generalisers, could easily miss what is actually happening, actually being said or the detail because of a tendency to "fill in the gaps" or substitute ideas for the present reality, not enviable traits at all.

It's interesting that this is very similar to what I garnered from 'Psychological Types' myself. For example his views on the Introverted Intuitive type paints a picture of someone who is often very at odds with the world around them and who belongs to one of the most detached natures concerning that world.

To the point where it seems strange that a person would even approach the world with that attitude.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type question:
I really enjoy my sensing functions. I like running, I love my aerial dance class, I love dancing in general, and I love trying to be as fit as possible (although I have a tendency to sometimes get out of the habit). I'm not as great with Se as an athlete who does team sports (not aggressive enough). I love sensual experiences, and I have good visual discrimination for details. I never get lost.
Not trying to say how great my skills are, but I'm wondering if this is typical for INXX's. Is this a greater affinity for Si/e than INFJ's usually have? That's my main question. I don't think I could in any way be described as a sensotard, unless it's my mind missing some relevant fact. Do INXP's experience these things too? I've read that they might. In which case I'm not ruling out INFP if I appear too feeling for INTP.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You sound like you might be an ISFJ.

What's the case for you being an intuitive, other than your test results?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a fact that pretty much nails it for XNTP (or at least XNXP): I consider myself an ambivert. I'm definitely more social than the typical introvert, and I enjoy group interaction and being outgoing when I feel competent at it. Prolonged socializing energizes me when I excel at it, and never drains me. (But I'm still a quiet and rather shy person with a touch of social anxiety.) SO, if I was INFJ and an ambivert I would have to almost equally resemble ENFJ, which I decidedly don't. However, I do resemble ENTP and INTP pretty closely, and ENFP about as much as INFP. So N-P it is, with highly developed Ni. And I'm going with T because my Ni and Ti work so nicely together, and I'm pretty certain I use Fe. Also inferior Si fits me about as well as inferior Fe, whereas inferior Ti doesn't fit AT ALL.
[MENTION=15963]Aleda[/MENTION], this continues our discussion.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the thread that thinks I'm Sherlock Holmes.

FWIW I think Lark is ENTJ. He expresses himself a lot like my ENTJ ex. (I've said this opinion before, just reinforcing the point with a real life anecdote.)

You sound like you might be an ISFJ.

What's the case for you being an intuitive, other than your test results?

You mean me or Curious Feeling?

I'm 100% certain I'm not ISFJ, but I can see why you might say that. If you aren't talking about me, disregard. :)

W

WALMART

After a considerable amount of deliberation, I have come to the personal opinion that [MENTION=15371]Poimandres[/MENTION] is ENTP.

If I were to posit INTP, it would strictly be to maintain the fact that he is more than likely an introvert by classical standards.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
FWIW I think Lark is ENTJ. He expresses himself a lot like my ENTJ ex. (I've said this opinion before, just reinforcing the point with a real life anecdote.)

You mean me or Curious Feeling?

I'm 100% certain I'm not ISFJ, but I can see why you might say that. If you aren't talking about me, disregard. :)

I think I was referring to you. I'm not sure how we determine which functions are in which position, anyway, so I could be wrong. But what you were describing sounded more Si than Se.

Also, I think sensor hate is stupid, so I like finding examples of sensors that prove that the S isn't for stupid.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I was referring to you. I'm not sure how we determine which functions are in which position, anyway, so I could be wrong. But what you were describing sounded more Si than Se.

Also, I think sensor hate is stupid, so I like finding examples of sensors that prove that the S isn't for stupid.

Ah ok. :)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In light of looking at the picture thread, I must modify this statement. I'm only 50% confident he is ENTJ.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone just suggested INFJ for me, and so I was thinking about it again. I don't think I really seem like any of the INFJ's on here. My sense of humor seems different, they seem to me to be far more socially conscious, and I am much less private. I wonder if I remind anyone of INFJ's? I'm still not ruling it out, although I think more things point toward other conclusions.

wolfy

awsm
Someone just suggested INFJ for me, and so I was thinking about it again. I don't think I really seem like any of the INFJ's on here. My sense of humor seems different, they seem to me to be far more socially conscious, and I am much less private. I wonder if I remind anyone of INFJ's? I'm still not ruling it out, although I think more things point toward other conclusions.

A little, but if anything, more nfp. infj can and are more cutting in their remarks as far as I have seen.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was actually the one that suggested to greenfairy on her wall (along with Elfboy and Standuble here) that she could be INFJ, and I don't even know my own type, but I know the system well enough to point out a few very basic reasons as to why she might be one:

1. Very mystical and odd magical beliefs.
2. Has Taoist ideologies on cosmic balance.
3. Can do rationalization, but not as naturally.

And here's what I wrote on her wall:
imo, you are, as I have said before, a very mystical and esoteric person with a higher awareness of reality, and those people are often Ni-doms. You also like to analyze stuff on the side, which could be Ti, and you seem to like the ideas of balance and harmony, which I think is related to NF types in general.
That's why my best guess on your type is INFJ.

The only other choice I think is INFP.