• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey! I just found this thread.
I don't think I'm mistyped, but opinions never hurt.

INTRO:
Ex-PerC member.
Some people know me here. But a few others have seen me post. I'd like to see what everyone has to say.
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], [MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION], [MENTION=16406]Faceless Beauty[/MENTION], [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION], [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

:p

forgive me if you do not like being summoned.

I haven't spoken to you much but I don't see how you're mistyped.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8

INTRO:
Ex-PerC member.
Some people know me here. But a few others have seen me post. I'd like to see what everyone has to say.
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], [MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION], [MENTION=16406]Faceless Beauty[/MENTION], [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION], [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

Oh let's see. I think you are actually correctly typed, but I am curious about how you chose your instincts and image fix. ;)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

INTRO:
Ex-PerC member.

I think you have some 9 in you for sure, going off of our last conversation. As for ENTP, I don't know enough about you. I can see an ENTP 1 making sense on its own (not pertaining to you). You might also want to consider ESFJ.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17911]Maybe[/MENTION], [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] and any other ENFP 8s out there:

I've been exploring a pet theory that ENFP 8s are more balanced in the N/S dichotomy than their 4, 6 or 7 counterparts. Do you feel that to be true in your case? Or do you attribute your enneagram type to better developed Te? Or is it related to neither and more to do with something exogenous to type?

Vergil

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you have some 9 in you for sure, going off of our last conversation. As for ENTP, I don't know enough about you. I can see an ENTP 1 making sense on its own (not pertaining to you). You might also want to consider ESFJ.

Okay, what makes you suggest ESFJ?

Vergil

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only reason I said that was because they're often times 1's, and also share the same functions as ENTP while still extroverts.

Ah, good. =)
I am not ESFJ. And well, I'm ENTP based on JCF, not so much MBTI. I'm an XNTP based purely on MBTI.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=17911]Maybe[/MENTION], [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] and any other ENFP 8s out there:

I've been exploring a pet theory that ENFP 8s are more balanced in the N/S dichotomy than their 4, 6 or 7 counterparts. Do you feel that to be true in your case? Or do you attribute your enneagram type to better developed Te? Or is it related to neither and more to do with something exogenous to type?

Te seems to permeate a lot of what I do, and I say that as someone who gets told that a lot vs someone who notices it within myself.

The N/S thing is really the hardest one for me to understand, and it is why I don't type people. I got my type from others that spent more time on it all than I ever did. I more understand it from a general feel of things vs having anything of hard evidence that allows me to differentiate the two positively.

I'm probably not a good person to ask about this. :/

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=17911" target="_blank">Maybe</a>, @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=4939" target="_blank">kyuuei</a>, @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=10491" target="_blank">mmhmm</a> and any other ENFP 8s out there:

I'm not sure I know of any enfp 8's except possibly this guy.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure I know of any enfp 8's except possibly this guy.

My initial thought was that it might be a function of mistyping. I've since gotten to know someone who types herself ENFP 8w7, and we have enough in common that I believe the enneagram type is correct no matter how unlikely it seems. I'm not gonna dismiss unusual e-type/MBTI combinations off-hand as I spent a little while thinking I was 9w8 instead of 8w9. Although it really was more to do with depression than anything else, it made me realize how factors external to one's innate cognitive process can inform one's enneagram type.

Not to digress too far, I think it's at least possible. I recently had a discussion with a friend who is ENFP about how there's a very pragmatic core to ENFPs that only becomes apparent as you get to know them. I think that core persona is very much compatible with enneagram 8 if the ENFP identifies more with it, than their more Ne-influenced traits. Who's to say that an 8 has to project power in the traditional, male-oriented way? Especially if one discovers that there's more power in exerting influence over one's environment otherwise? Or is what it means to be seen as strong such an objective thing?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think if we reduce 8 down to:

scared of losing control over their own life and being harmed, ENFP works fine.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

My initial thought was that it might be a function of mistyping. I've since gotten to know someone who types herself ENFP 8w7, and we have enough in common that I believe the enneagram type is correct no matter how unlikely it seems. I'm not gonna dismiss unusual e-type/MBTI combinations off-hand as I spent a little while thinking I was 9w8 instead of 8w9. Although it really was more to do with depression than anything else, it made me realize how factors external to one's innate cognitive process can inform one's enneagram type.

Not to digress too far, I think it's at least possible. I recently had a discussion with a friend who is ENFP about how there's a very pragmatic core to ENFPs that only becomes apparent as you get to know them. I think that core persona is very much compatible with enneagram 8 if the ENFP identifies more with it, than their more Ne-influenced traits. Who's to say that an 8 has to project power in the traditional, male-oriented way? Especially if one discovers that there's more power in exerting influence over one's environment otherwise? Or is what it means to be seen as strong such an objective thing?

I think if we reduce 8 down to:

scared of losing control over their own life and being harmed, ENFP works fine.

I have a whole theory about this, as it pertains to myself. I'm not sure I can put it into words very easily but I think this merits a whole thread topic, so I'm going to mull it over.

But my theory pertained to inferior Si and how it makes me fear being overpowered by other people - because I end up feeling vulnerable in my body, for instance, in a crowd, because there's so much going on and I can't get any control over the details or the sensory input. Also Si pertains to my bodily experience of the world and how I interpret my senses? I have very strong awareness of what my food-cravings are, and how I ought to take care of myself, and how medications affect me. This is a very useful skill since I have a very serious chronic illness and take a lot of medications, and must fight for my health. I'm aware of my body, its limits, and what it needs , more than most of my doctors' other patients; but it seems to come from my subconscious and I can't put reasoning to it. It feels almost "psychic" to me, this awareness of body. It also contributes to my sense of carnality, and how that in itself makes me feel powerful and vulnerable at once.

I'm going to try to get this into a cohesive post tomorrow.

I was typed at Ne > Fe | Ti < Si by other people who know MBTI/JCF much better than I do, and I've only been learning about it from people for a matter of months. I'm not well-versed in the theory, though I've read the more advanced enneagram books. To me, inferior Si and type 8 kind of explains my whole life; gives me a lens through which I can make sense of it.

It is interesting that you mention Ne/Si axis 8s having more control over their Si than their tertiary function. I do have extreme awareness of Si, and I'd say it's more present than my tertiary function. However, I'm confused. While I can easily see Fi and Fe in myself, I technically am an ENTP because Fe and Ti are there. I can see my tertiary Ti but not much Te in myself. I'm open to other opinions though, and it's possible that I am an ENFP and don't understand Te. However, I relate much more heavily to ENTP descriptions than ENFP. So, I can't really comment on that function as it pertains to myself, but I can say that whatever it is, I do seem much more hyper-aware of Si, and I also clearly see that it is definitely my inferior function.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=17911]Maybe[/MENTION]

ESTp (socionics SLE) and 8 work very well together because you have Fi point of least resistance (Fi plays no part in ESTP's life) and Si ignoring (ESTP's naturally ignore subjective sensations such as pain and internal body needs like hunger. I suppose Si could also help out with emotion.) Its as if Naranjo is describing SLE's directly and not the 8 itself.

But as far as ENFp goes, if we reduce the functions entirely down to their most primitive form, we might still be able to fit 8 in there somewhere.

Ne = scanning the immediate environment for that which isn't directly apparent.
Fi = subjective ethics, being able to pick up on the internal emotional state of other people
Te = objective logic, being able to judge facts as objective/subjective
Si = subjective sensing, sensory data that is relevant only to the user such as nostalgic smells or awareness of homeostatic states.

8's go to "excess" as an overcompensation due to lack of "aliveness." 8's value intense emotions, intense flavors, intense music, intense everything.

So I think if you fit these characteristics you're probably an ENFP 8, or a disintegrated 2, or an 8 wing.

I've also attributed E8 to being direct in their language as a result of their lack of caring about how they come off, as well as a lack of fear of conflict. This is not something an ENFP has ever proven to me that they're capable of doing. I find most ENFP's who have a problem with me tend to talk in strawman and speak through implications and double messages before saying something like, "You're pissing me off, stop." (there was a 9 who told me I was annoying once, however)

I have almost never heard an enfp speak to me in that way.

ENFJ 8's, however. Now that's a completely different story.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
edit: I just edited what specific traits I think 8's embody in case anybody looked at the previous version.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
[MENTION=17911]Maybe[/MENTION]

ESTp (socionics SLE) and 8 work very well together because you have Fi point of least resistance (Fi plays no part in ESTP's life) and Si ignoring (ESTP's naturally ignore subjective sensations such as pain and internal body needs like hunger. I suppose Si could also help out with emotion.) Its as if Naranjo is describing SLE's directly and not the 8 itself.

But as far as ENFp goes, if we reduce the functions entirely down to their most primitive form, we might still be able to fit 8 in there somewhere.

Ne = scanning the immediate environment for that which isn't directly apparent.
Fi = subjective ethics, being able to pick up on the internal emotional state of other people
Te = objective logic, being able to judge facts as objective/subjective
Si = subjective sensing, sensory data that is relevant only to the user such as nostalgic smells or awareness of homeostatic states.

8's go to "excess" as an overcompensation due to lack of "aliveness." 8's value intense emotions, intense flavors, intense music, intense everything.

So I think if you fit these characteristics you're probably an ENFP 8, or a disintegrated 2, or an 8 wing.

I've also attributed E8 to being direct in their language as a result of their lack of caring about how they come off, as well as a lack of fear of conflict. This is not something an ENFP has ever proven to me that they're capable of doing. I find most ENFP's who have a problem with me tend to talk in strawman and speak through implications and double messages before saying something like, "You're pissing me off, stop." (there was a 9 who told me I was annoying once, however)

I'd say that a person's cognitive function set really has nothing to do with their type. Enneagram is about motivations and desires, while JCF/MBTI is about how your mind processes things. Any type can use any function set. Of course, some types will tend to go with certain function sets, and certain pairings are more LIKELY to be mistyped. But I don't see how ENFP is even among those for an 8. The type most often correlated with 8 is Se-dominant; and Ne dominant is not really that different... it's still an extroverted perceiving function, it's just that the Ne dom would read between the lines whereas the Se dom would see what's there, what they can gather through the senses. It makes sense to me that 8, being a body type, most in touch with body, and known as such a "carnal" type would be correlated with an Se mindset, but as a whole mind, Ne and Se dominants can look similar. It doesn't seem that far of a cry to me.

But, the contradiction you mentioned is interesting, and it's something that I've run across on the forum. My writing style may not "seem" type 8-ish because it's not always concise and to the point. But, what's important to keep in mind is that my INTENTION is not to be indirect; it's just that I'm allowing my Ne ramble to come out. What you mention about 8s being less aware of what people think is true with me - and this is *why* I allow my posts to be that way.

I'm direct when I have something direct to say. If someone pisses me off, I say it; no fear of conflict. I'm beyond straight-forward in my friendships, business dealings, and relationships. But no matter how honest and up front and open-book I am, I don't always seem direct and "to the point" in someone else's view, because of the way my mind works. I end up in inferior Si/ tertiary thinking rambles. I get lost in details. It ends up appearing indirect because my Ne is running rampant, I think? (This was pointed out to me recently.) But, the problem of "not caring/noticing how I come off to others" is why this happens. Sometimes I'm brash and blunt, and other times I might appear to "beat around the bush " - not because I'm intending to avoid something, but because I'm just letting my mind go forward and not double-checking myself. The *most* direct / honest thing I can do is ramble, lol!

Not sure if that explains how an 8ish mentality can fit with ENFP, but that was what I thought of when you wrote that contradiction at the end. The contradiction you mention is that someone who is an ENFP doesn't SEEM direct, but in my case, that's just the presentation of my Ne-dom mind, and my intention is always to be direct. If I'm not going to be direct, I don't see much point in talking at all.

Edit:

Haha, this is true - but imagine an 8 who values intensity and uses Ne, indulging in the correlations their mind is making, indulging in conversation, indulging in their perceptions?? If a person is a 5-fixed 8 and uses Ne, this kind of directness and yet, rambling presentation, seems especially likely. ;)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Did you ever consider that this is because Ne is their dominant function and it is difficult for them to formulate their thoughts in a clear and concise manner that is appreciated by Se-valuing people such as yourself? I doubt that the ability to express yourself directly in speech/writing has much to do with our enneatypes. By that logic I would be an 8 too, particularly so because my thinking is casual-deterministic and I tend to write in absolutes due to inferior Te despite not intending to suggest it is absolute. Also, I swear a lot.

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=11928] [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]
if I had to guess your type, I'd say INFJ 4w5>1w9>6w5 Sp/Sx

Your guess has no basis in evidence or reason.

And typing is a way to avoid spontaneous interaction, to keep others at a distance, to avoid intimacy, to treat others as things, and to exert your power.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Your guess has no basis in evidence or reason.

And typing is a way to avoid spontaneous interaction, to keep others at a distance, to avoid intimacy, to treat others as things, and to exert your power.

It's not power if you don't give it power. If someone knows their type, no amount of "you're not this type" will take that away from them.

Also, this is a "mistypes" thread so that is what people do... they call out their opinions about others' types. If you don't like that concept you don't have to check the thread.