Thread: Mistyped TypeCentral Members

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    From the standpoint of independent dichotomies, I am indeed extraverted and intuitive, I consider the subjective measure more important than an objective "fairness" one, and I'm more planned than spontaneous. I've always been conscientious, organized, and forward-looking, though I know that appreciating the subjective is probably more recent. This points to E, N, F, and J. This is the model I'm currently using, and it corroborates my more reliable Big 5 description.
    True, though again, it is possible for a T to have F in the "inflated" (tertiary) position, where it might appear to be more prominent.
    Type descriptions? I can read myself into pretty much every single ENxx description, depending upon my mood, environment, and current happenings. Many of the T descriptions as pertaining to relationships do not fit me at all, however; I always find it necessary to connect with and understand my partner and others around me, and I take things much more personally than pretty much every other T I know.

As far as cognitive functions, I've found that, on the whole, I relate well to Ne, Fi, Ti, and Te the most, with a fairly strong Ni, and Se cropping up every now and then. Fe and Si are typically "lost" on me. Many type descriptions can be formed with this combination, with Te being seen as a ENFP's tertiary, Ne+Ti coming together to "mimic" Te () in ENTP, and so on. Reconciling this has been a major point of confusion for me, athough, aside from the overly strong Te, ENxP has made the "most sense" in this respect.
    Yeah, it does become very ambiguous.
    Historically, probably ENTP; however, I have much more in common with the ENFPs on this board, especially in people-related discussions.

So as I've thought, type depends upon the model used, as well as how I choose to see the exact nature of the individual pieces. I am perfectly fine with the raw dichotomies pointing to one answer and the cognitive functions to another. In my mind, they can be considered separate personality models, just as Socionics and MBTI, or MBTI and Big 5, are separate models.

So, the question comes down to this: Which model should I use?

And I realize how ENTP this answer sounds, juggling the viewpoints of several objective models.
    Sometimes, that's what you have to do, if one is not explaining things well enough.
    From the cognitive function standpoint, Ni as an "under stress" function could make a lot of sense as something that has developed during my college years. It would explain why Ni is pretty well developed and something that I can very readily tap into now, and why I tend to take on leadership and positions involving planning fairly easily, swiftly, and naturally.

Do you have a link to Lenore's system which explains the "alternatives" as you describe?
    What's New In Type and Temperament. The rest of the information on her theories can be found here: The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
    Historically? Thinking. But then, I have also become more people-focused, and I tend to incorporate the subjective and people-orientedness much more than my other T bretheren do. My ENTj father and ENTP brother-in-law come to mind as those who are typically contrary to the viewpoints of others

So I'm not sure whether this "newfound" feeling is an exposure of my natural preferences just as my extroversion (and, possibly, spontaneity) is, or whether it's just been part of the process of constructing a more well-rounded character.
    That sounds like a T, who's F is developing as he has grown up. If it's tertiary, it would be young adulthood, rather than later in life. For the ENTJ, it would be inferior, as well as introverted, and thus develop later, and still be different from an ENTP. For your brother in law, if his is not showing, it could be age difference, or he is just not developing as fast.
    Likely extraverted.

I've also historically "preferred" introversion, and that's drastically changed for me. I have always typically held a more "judging" attitude and have only recently found relaxation through spontaneity.
    I/E and J/P are not definite processes like the others, but simply indicate the positions of the processes, and this is often reflected by behavior, but can be changed by various factors. An introvert is someone who's dominant function is introverted. However, someone with an extroverted dominant might behave similar to an introvert because of various reasons such as very restrictive parents, some sort of trauma, etc. But he was never really an "introvert".
    J indicates that the Judging process is evtraverted, and it often does manifest as "conscientious, organized", etc., but again, there are many reasons why a P might be like this, or a J not be like this. So those are clues, but I would say the actual functions would be more important. (And these factors are also why sometimes looking at it through different models helps).

If you're becoming more "spontaneous" now, perhaps that's your true P manifesting in your independence, or whatever circumstance may have changed.
    And in any case, thanks for your patience on this. It seems you're enjoying the discussion, and it's something I could keep up for a long time.
    Yeah; I love applying what I know about the theories, and seeing how much my own ideas (such as the MBTI-Galen correlation) might work.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

garbage

Alright, fine, I'm going to take the plunge.. screwed up function order and all

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

K I got bored of INFP.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

failure to thrive Array AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    RCOAI would correspond to INFJ. (R=I; O=J; A=F and I=N)
    hey eric. i think you were the one who referred me to lenore thompson. yeah, i find it intriguing. i wanted to comment on her ideas about j/p attitudes.

can you fairly reliably nail down someone's j/p type by going on his or her dom and aux functions, if both functions fall with the left brain (j), or right brain (p) attitudes?

for example, my husband's dom and aux functions are Ti and Se, and i've always labeled him a j cuz he's tested j and seems to identify as istj, etc. (i don't put too much stock in functions order, but i think you can rely on dom and aux to get pretty close, right?) but using her right-brain (p) paradigm, he might actually be istp, which can make sense as well the more i ponder it. he is very right brained, which manifests itself musically.

anyone feel free to expound, please.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, if his dom and aux are Ti and Se, then he is an ISTP by definition. You say he "tests" as J, but ISTJ is Si + Te. So is it that you have indentified the Ti and Se as his true preferences despite the test? That could happen, of course, since the MBTI and most other tests do treat J/P as separate measurable "functions" almost. But changing just that one letter totally flips the processes into their shadows! Otherwise, why would he "identify" as ISTJ?

If he's ISTP, then his right brain alternatives would be Fi and Ne, which Lenore calls the "crow's nest". Si and Te would be left brain alternatives, and she calls them "double-agents", and I imagine they do not come up as often as the crow's nest functions, which she has in the actual 3rd and 4th places. If he's ISTJ, then Ni and Fe would be the left brain alternatives, which for a J are the crow's nest, and Ti and Se would be the right brain alternatives which would be the double-agents.

Both dom and aux are always going to be the same brain hemisphere. After all, the pairs are always Je/Pi or Ji/Pe. Je/Pi=left brain; Ji/Pe=right brain.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Well, if his dom and aux are Ti and Se, then he is an ISTP by definition. You say he "tests" as J, but ISTJ is Si + Te. So is it that you have indentified the Ti and Se as his true preferences despite the test? That could happen, of course, since the MBTI and most other tests do treat J/P as separate measurable "functions" almost. But changing just that one letter totally flips the processes into their shadows! Otherwise, why would he "identify" as ISTJ?
    hey, eric, thanks for your input. are you a psychologist of some sort? i KNOW he's Se~Ti dom/aux for sure. not confident on the order of those two. since i know he's not an extrovert, i lean toward Ti/Se (but his Se is crazy!). upon reflection, he says he probably was an istp growing up, but with a large family and having been married 20 years, he feels like that's prob why he seems more 'j' now. he really fits the istj description more than istp, yet his functions point to istp. he is a maniac on taking things apart to see how they work, and can absolutely fix them, or find a way to make them work if they are broken. his function order (based on my preliminary test from my functions of type book) is: Se~Ti, Si, Ne, Fe=Ni, Fi, Te. (the book isn't very descriptive, so these could be wrong).

If he's ISTP, then his right brain alternatives would be Fi and Ne, which Lenore calls the "crow's nest". Si and Te would be left brain alternatives, and she calls them "double-agents", and I imagine they do not come up as often as the crow's nest functions, which she has in the actual 3rd and 4th places. If he's ISTJ, then Ni and Fe would be the left brain alternatives, which for a J are the crow's nest, and Ti and Se would be the right brain alternatives which would be the double-agents.

Both dom and aux are always going to be the same brain hemisphere. After all, the pairs are always Je/Pi or Ji/Pe. Je/Pi=left brain; Ji/Pe=right brain.
    all that kinda confuses me somewhat. btw, he alwasy tests as intj, which is what i thought he was for the longest time, because he KNOWS people so well. what they are like, what they are gonna say or do, etc. so i always thought this was Ni, but i think maybe that's just his fabulous Se coming through? or what?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

No, not a psychologist. Just studied this stuff intensely; drawn by all the symmetries of the factors, and had plenty practice in fitting myself into it.

What you say at first sounds like an ISTP simply influenced by the environment over time.
    But then, you mention iNtj. That's Ni-Te-Fi-Se. Se is inferior, so if he has strong Se; he's probably not this type. Especially if he also has strong Ti. Now, if he is ISTP, then Ni will be tertiary, which is described as inflating itself. So what you describe sounds more like ISTP.

Type Ideas

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

No, not a psychologist. Just studied this stuff intensely; drawn by all the symmetries of the factors, and had plenty practice in fitting myself into it.

What you say at first sounds like an ISTP simply influenced by the environment over time.
    But then, you mention iNtj. That's Ni-Te-Fi-Se. Se is inferior, so if he has strong Se; he's probably not this type. Especially if he also has strong Ti. Now, if he is ISTP, then Ni will be tertiary, which is described as inflating itself. So what you describe sounds more like ISTP.
    thanks so much, eric. that's kinda what we're thinking now, especially casting it in a how-he-was-in-childhood light. yes, you're probably right about Ni. weird to go from intj to istp like that. but cool. that makes sense cuz from my perspective too i've always been attracted to istp guys. go figure.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I think entropie is an entj, cause he can be The know-it-all windbag who has lots of information about many subjects, and is always eager to share it with everyone around him, and correct their erroneous remarks, always with pitiless courtesy.

Ain't I right ?
    Lost Frequencies - All or Nothing

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."
    ~Saint's Progress by John Galsworthy

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I think entropie is an entj, cause he can be The know-it-all windbag who has lots of information about many subjects, and is always eager to share it with everyone around him, and correct their erroneous remarks, always with pitiless courtesy.

Ain't I right ?
    Hear, hear!

I've also heard that he smells like musk, a clear indicator of ENTJness.