User Tag List

First 58108148156157158159160168208258658 Last

Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 7026

  1. #1571
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't mind having something subjectively arbitray suddenly cast as the institutional standard. Hell, that's how the entire dictionary works. What always bothered me is that no one even give a cosistent, arbitrary method for not only measuring a person's type, but (this is important) quantifying it.
    Honestly, in all my years of looking at this crap, the closest thing to a consistent standard is socionics' interpersonal relations. You have to have known some people IRL, and have a good idea of their types, to use it, however. The more interaction you've had and analyzed, the better. Concentrate on Dual and Conflicting, because they're the two most noticeable matches. With a Dual partner, in friendship, work, or romance, it's almost impossible to have a serious problem with each other. With a conflicting partner, it's almost impossible to respect anything about each other.

  2. #1572
    Biertrinker entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783 sx/so
    Posts
    16,373

    Default

    Are we two duals Watson ?

  3. #1573
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I yesterday talked to a girl accomplishing her doctor in psychology. I expected her to know everything about MBTT, but she vaguely knew it.

    She even got further and said MBTT is BS, because it depends on the style of answering its questions. Like the test taker gets the results he wants.

    I was completly baffled by this, coming from a doctor student of psychology. I was thinking, if she ever thought about the fact that all of live could be subjective and objectivity remains an illusion ?

    Someone has to tell her, before she practices, otherwise I probably think, she will think there is never error in her judgement
    Well, see, what happened to psychologists, is I think around the 1960s, they decided that personality analysis was bull and instead started picking at the deep, ingrained things in people's minds by putting them through bizarre, cruel, and unusual psychology experiments -- with consent, of course. They decided this was more fun and they even keep doing this today.

    Subjectivity is fine and dandy but if there's a standard, then it's just plain useless if it's only applied on whims.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #1574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Are we two duals Watson ?
    What was Holmes? Man, I haven't read any since I was like nine years old. Duals aren't uncommon in fiction, I would say. Have you read any of the Jack Aubrey books? I think he's ESFP and Maturin is INTP.

  5. #1575
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Subjectivity is fine and dandy but if there's a standard, then it's just plain useless if it's only applied on whims.
    Useless? I use type study all the time, to plan action around people's personalities. Whether to engage or avoid, and how to go about it.

  6. #1576
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,193

    Default

    Are those the gay sailor books? I keed, I keed. My brother has bent my ear a number of times about the Master & Commander books.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #1577
    Biertrinker entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783 sx/so
    Posts
    16,373

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, see, what happened to psychologists, is I think around the 1960s, they decided that personality analysis was bull and instead started picking at the deep, ingrained things in people's minds by putting them through bizarre, cruel, and unusual psychology experiments -- with consent, of course. They decided this was more fun and they even keep doing this today.

    Subjectivity is fine and dandy but if there's a standard, then it's just plain useless if it's only applied on whims.
    I agree and if you dont mind, I will use this to quote to people asking me why I didnt study psychology, if I am so intrested in those things

  8. #1578
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Are those the gay sailor books? I keed, I keed. My brother has bent my ear a number of times about the Master & Commander books.
    Yeah. The first one was awesome, but "Post Captain," man, I never finished it. The entire first THIRD of the book is high-falutin' talk and ballroom dancing.

  9. #1579
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Useless? I use type study all the time, to plan action around people's personalities. Whether to engage or avoid, and how to go about it.
    Yes, but you're one person and may be somewhat internally consistent. I mean something big, like MBTI or government or something, that's spread among a lot of people.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  10. #1580
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, but you're one person and may be somewhat internally consistent. I mean something big, like MBTI or government or something, that's spread among a lot of people.
    I know. It's not something which could or should be used by the average person, only the few who are keen on understanding the nature of it.

    Believe me, if I were better at explaining things to the masses, I would write a big book about it, in order to attempt to quell what I see as misinformation and bad practice.

Similar Threads

  1. TypeCentral Members Psychoanalyze Your Avatar for Free
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6786
    Last Post: 05-26-2017, 09:23 AM
  2. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  3. TypeCentral Members- Casting Call as Disney Characters
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 03:10 AM
  4. TypeCentral Members- Cast them as musicians
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  5. It's a mystery. (moved from Mistyped MBTIC Members)
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts