12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default I Am Definitely Ne-Aux.

There's nothing harder in all this typology stuff than trying to type oneself. It's almost as difficult as typing those close to you. Yet those farther away are easier to type because there is less personality and behavioral data to wade through.

Lately I've been pondering the challenge of the Ne function, it's manifestation, and what it means for me to be Ne-aux. Ne is a challenge because its existence is so vague to me, probably because Ne creates such broad generalizations. It creates these generalizations out of a search for a kind of feeling of satisfaction in discovering the big-picture behind the variety in experience. But since this doesn't always exist in perception, Ne seeks to create it, whether in writing or through some other kind of invention that can be perceived and savored. Ne is inventive in order to satisfy the desire to seek the whole. This whole isn't necessarily a final conclusion of a logical thought-process (as with Ti or Te), only when the "conclusion" fails to lead to further satisfying inventions and novel ideas.

The big difference between the INTP and ENTP is found in the final product. The INTP finds satisfaction in a purely mental product, the ENTP seeks satisfaction in external inventiveness. But ENTP is less hands-on than the ESTP: once the ENTP's invention is in existence merely on the drawing-board, the ENTP leaves it to others to build and maintain. As far as the ENTP is concerned, the invention's drawing-board existence is satisfaction enough. The mundane experience of actually working the invention is left to those who enjoy that kind of thing.

My Ne-aux is weak on external invention. A typical INTP is Einstein, who considered his Relativity complete merely via intuition, a purely mental invention. It was to his great dismay, as a lazy student, when he recognized the necessity of learning mathematics. Einstein wasn't a "lazy" student per se, he simply didn't see the necessity of taking his ideas farther than the intuitive level. Even mathematically outlining his theory was to him an onerous chore, a necessary evil designed merely to satisfy the vetting process.

I see Ne in myself in the satisfaction I draw in creating a product that unifies disparate ideas in an orderly, logical fashion. In typical Intuitive fashion, this fact registered on my consciousness in the form of an intuitive 'Aha' moment. All my life these types of moments have come to me as facts that were present in my mind all along, only they were present in a disorderly fashion because there was no concept with which to unify these facts. The concepts are higher than the facts themselves, it is a moment of intellectual synthesis in which many facts are brought together beneath a single mental idea that serves to unify them all. There is nothing "logical" about this, Ti has nothing to do with it. Ti is analytical, Ne is synthetic, its product is that of synthesis. Synthesis is the process behind invention, where the concept suddenly presented to consciousness is more than the facts subsumed by the concept.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Interesting. Some of what you're writing about here is often attributed to Ni too. Not saying you're Ni-dom, just funny. It's mainly the "Aha" moments and the parts about the single mental idea to unify many things/facts.

What you wrote about the single mental idea was also interesting because it's so different from how I do it. If I do see a concept that simplifies down a lot of things, it's definitely not about unifying disparate ideas. It's much more of a logical principle instead. A nice delineated principle or concept that's logical and ideally fits inside a real framework. It organizes things together but does not unify things. They remain separate, only connected and organized via logical structures. And did I say I liked simplifying things? That's one of the purposes of this logical organizing.

Btw. Did you ever consider ISTP for yourself? I'm asking because of how you worded the title. Or was it ENTP instead of ISTP? Or Ni-dom? Lol I'm curious

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by infinity- View Post
    Interesting. Some of what you're writing about here is often attributed to Ni too. Not saying you're Ni-dom, just funny. It's mainly the "Aha" moments and the parts about the single mental idea to unify many things/facts.

What you wrote about the single mental idea was also interesting because it's so different from how I do it. If I do see a concept that simplifies down a lot of things, it's definitely not about unifying disparate ideas. It's much more of a logical principle instead. A nice delineated principle or concept that's logical and ideally fits inside a real framework. It organizes things together but does not unify things. They remain separate, only connected and organized via logical structures. And did I say I liked simplifying things? That's one of the purposes of this logical organizing.

Btw. Did you ever consider ISTP for yourself? I'm asking because of how you worded the title. Or was it ENTP instead of ISTP? Or Ni-dom? Lol I'm curious
    Those who have seen me on this forum for a long time know that I technically identify best with IXTP. But the OP concerned the Ne-aux in INTP.

From my understanding of Ni, it is not at all about the Aha experience. Ni identifies with the mystical and mysterious. Its truths are formed, as with Ne, from a desire to achieve satisfaction, only in this case through belief in and verification of mystical experiences. External or internal reality may form the impetus for the experience. Sometimes Ni manifests itself in the interpretation of reality as a mystical construct, and of reified mental illusions. And sometimes the experiences have no logical explanation. But Ni does not try to explain them away logically, although the experiences are made to fit into a theory.

A prime example of this is Brad Steiger's non-fiction work "Mysteries of Time and Space," in which all weird phenomena, everything from ghosts to UFOs, are unified and reduced to a single theory that might be considered a kind of supernatural conspiracy theory. These things are, for me, fun to speculate about, to consider true just as a movie-goer considers a horror movie "true" in order to get the most out of the movie. I think that it's due to the Ne side of me that is so open to considering all kinds of data, not just the data considered verifiable by science. The important thing is to keep it separate from science, and the Ni type is not likely to do this. For example, I have an INTJ friend who, when he was studying genetics in college, sincerely found evidence of God's creative influence in his examination of the DNA molecule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    From my understanding of Ni, it is not at all about the Aha experience.
    Google: introverted intuition aha moment

http://www.careerplanner.com/8cognit...-Intuiting.cfm
    http://personalityjunkie.com/10/intr...-intuition-ni/
    http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Co...-iNtuiting.cfm

brainheart

The big difference between the INTP and ENTP is found in the final product. The INTP finds satisfaction in a purely mental product, the ENTP seeks satisfaction in external inventiveness. But ENTP is less hands-on than the ESTP: once the ENTP's invention is in existence merely on the drawing-board, the ENTP leaves it to others to build and maintain. As far as the ENTP is concerned, the invention's drawing-board existence is satisfaction enough. The mundane experience of actually working the invention is left to those who enjoy that kind of thing.
    I think this is why INXPs are often 4s and 5s while ENXPs are often 7s.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I'm taking my info on Ni from Jung. But it's not beyond reason to equate the Aha moment with an intuitive leap.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I think this is why INXPs are often 4s and 5s while ENXPs are often 7s.
    INXPs are 4, 5, or 9, while ENXP are 3, 6, 7, or 8.

I'm taking my info on Ni from Jung.
    While referring to the personalitypage.com website for years. You're a "Jung" guy. Right.

WALMART

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    While referring to the personalitypage.com website for years. You're a "Jung" guy. Right.
    No. Haven't you been paying attention all these years? I only use Jung to discuss functions. I use physics to discuss Quantum Mechanics. I use philosophy to discuss Kant and Hegel. I don't use MBTI to discuss functions, and I don't use philosophy to discuss Quantum Mechanics.