• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I Am Definitely Ne-Aux.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's nothing harder in all this typology stuff than trying to type oneself. It's almost as difficult as typing those close to you. Yet those farther away are easier to type because there is less personality and behavioral data to wade through.

Lately I've been pondering the challenge of the Ne function, it's manifestation, and what it means for me to be Ne-aux. Ne is a challenge because its existence is so vague to me, probably because Ne creates such broad generalizations. It creates these generalizations out of a search for a kind of feeling of satisfaction in discovering the big-picture behind the variety in experience. But since this doesn't always exist in perception, Ne seeks to create it, whether in writing or through some other kind of invention that can be perceived and savored. Ne is inventive in order to satisfy the desire to seek the whole. This whole isn't necessarily a final conclusion of a logical thought-process (as with Ti or Te), only when the "conclusion" fails to lead to further satisfying inventions and novel ideas.

The big difference between the INTP and ENTP is found in the final product. The INTP finds satisfaction in a purely mental product, the ENTP seeks satisfaction in external inventiveness. But ENTP is less hands-on than the ESTP: once the ENTP's invention is in existence merely on the drawing-board, the ENTP leaves it to others to build and maintain. As far as the ENTP is concerned, the invention's drawing-board existence is satisfaction enough. The mundane experience of actually working the invention is left to those who enjoy that kind of thing.

My Ne-aux is weak on external invention. A typical INTP is Einstein, who considered his Relativity complete merely via intuition, a purely mental invention. It was to his great dismay, as a lazy student, when he recognized the necessity of learning mathematics. Einstein wasn't a "lazy" student per se, he simply didn't see the necessity of taking his ideas farther than the intuitive level. Even mathematically outlining his theory was to him an onerous chore, a necessary evil designed merely to satisfy the vetting process.

I see Ne in myself in the satisfaction I draw in creating a product that unifies disparate ideas in an orderly, logical fashion. In typical Intuitive fashion, this fact registered on my consciousness in the form of an intuitive 'Aha' moment. All my life these types of moments have come to me as facts that were present in my mind all along, only they were present in a disorderly fashion because there was no concept with which to unify these facts. The concepts are higher than the facts themselves, it is a moment of intellectual synthesis in which many facts are brought together beneath a single mental idea that serves to unify them all. There is nothing "logical" about this, Ti has nothing to do with it. Ti is analytical, Ne is synthetic, its product is that of synthesis. Synthesis is the process behind invention, where the concept suddenly presented to consciousness is more than the facts subsumed by the concept.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. Some of what you're writing about here is often attributed to Ni too. Not saying you're Ni-dom, just funny. It's mainly the "Aha" moments and the parts about the single mental idea to unify many things/facts.

What you wrote about the single mental idea was also interesting because it's so different from how I do it. If I do see a concept that simplifies down a lot of things, it's definitely not about unifying disparate ideas. It's much more of a logical principle instead. A nice delineated principle or concept that's logical and ideally fits inside a real framework. It organizes things together but does not unify things. They remain separate, only connected and organized via logical structures. And did I say I liked simplifying things? That's one of the purposes of this logical organizing.

Btw. Did you ever consider ISTP for yourself? I'm asking because of how you worded the title. Or was it ENTP instead of ISTP? Or Ni-dom? Lol I'm curious

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. Some of what you're writing about here is often attributed to Ni too. Not saying you're Ni-dom, just funny. It's mainly the "Aha" moments and the parts about the single mental idea to unify many things/facts.

What you wrote about the single mental idea was also interesting because it's so different from how I do it. If I do see a concept that simplifies down a lot of things, it's definitely not about unifying disparate ideas. It's much more of a logical principle instead. A nice delineated principle or concept that's logical and ideally fits inside a real framework. It organizes things together but does not unify things. They remain separate, only connected and organized via logical structures. And did I say I liked simplifying things? That's one of the purposes of this logical organizing.

Btw. Did you ever consider ISTP for yourself? I'm asking because of how you worded the title. Or was it ENTP instead of ISTP? Or Ni-dom? Lol I'm curious

Those who have seen me on this forum for a long time know that I technically identify best with IXTP. But the OP concerned the Ne-aux in INTP.

From my understanding of Ni, it is not at all about the Aha experience. Ni identifies with the mystical and mysterious. Its truths are formed, as with Ne, from a desire to achieve satisfaction, only in this case through belief in and verification of mystical experiences. External or internal reality may form the impetus for the experience. Sometimes Ni manifests itself in the interpretation of reality as a mystical construct, and of reified mental illusions. And sometimes the experiences have no logical explanation. But Ni does not try to explain them away logically, although the experiences are made to fit into a theory.

A prime example of this is Brad Steiger's non-fiction work "Mysteries of Time and Space," in which all weird phenomena, everything from ghosts to UFOs, are unified and reduced to a single theory that might be considered a kind of supernatural conspiracy theory. These things are, for me, fun to speculate about, to consider true just as a movie-goer considers a horror movie "true" in order to get the most out of the movie. I think that it's due to the Ne side of me that is so open to considering all kinds of data, not just the data considered verifiable by science. The important thing is to keep it separate from science, and the Ni type is not likely to do this. For example, I have an INTJ friend who, when he was studying genetics in college, sincerely found evidence of God's creative influence in his examination of the DNA molecule.

B

brainheart

The big difference between the INTP and ENTP is found in the final product. The INTP finds satisfaction in a purely mental product, the ENTP seeks satisfaction in external inventiveness. But ENTP is less hands-on than the ESTP: once the ENTP's invention is in existence merely on the drawing-board, the ENTP leaves it to others to build and maintain. As far as the ENTP is concerned, the invention's drawing-board existence is satisfaction enough. The mundane experience of actually working the invention is left to those who enjoy that kind of thing.

I think this is why INXPs are often 4s and 5s while ENXPs are often 7s.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
W

WALMART

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While referring to the personalitypage.com website for years. You're a "Jung" guy. Right. ;)

No. Haven't you been paying attention all these years? I only use Jung to discuss functions. I use physics to discuss Quantum Mechanics. I use philosophy to discuss Kant and Hegel. I don't use MBTI to discuss functions, and I don't use philosophy to discuss Quantum Mechanics.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

At the first site in that list I found this: "In the past, people with introverted intuiting have been known to act as oracles, fortune tellers, shamans and medicine men. In fact many people with dominant Ni will tell you that while growing up they did have mystical experiences."

That's exactly what I was talking about.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Jaguar

I only use Jung to discuss functions.

You're attempting to address Ne-Aux in your own so-called type, but you have references to INTP, ENTP, and ESTP in your O.P.
Jung didn't come up with J/P, Myers did. Clearly, you're not sticking with Jung.

"In his memoir, On Writing, Stephen King, most certainly an INJ type, describes his process of writing novels."

What?? No way. Stephen King is either an INFP or an ENFP. The site is dumb.

Who gives a crap? This isn't about King.

I didn't post those links to endorse all of the extra content at those websites.
The point was Ni, and to address your comment: "From my understanding of Ni, it is not at all about the Aha experience."

The irony is, your dogmatic approach to type is such that even Jung probably wouldn't have agreed with you, were he alive.
Jung broke away from Freud for the same reason - his dogmatic approach. You continue to focus on a single tree: "No way is Stephen King type X!" while missing the forest of Jung's work.

What you're doing is nothing shy of playing the children's game, Pin the Tail on the Donkey:

George is INFP! Pin the tail on the donkey.
Betty is INFJ! Pin the tail on the donkey.
Steve is ENTP! Pin the tail on the donkey.

Don't forget to wear your blindfold.

3sk36

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From my understanding of Ni, it is not at all about the Aha experience.

Well it's typically associated with Aha moments. Nardi fleshes that out more by saying that it's a basic - not refined - use of Ni if you have Aha moments.

Ni identifies with the mystical and mysterious. Its truths are formed, as with Ne, from a desire to achieve satisfaction, only in this case through belief in and verification of mystical experiences. External or internal reality may form the impetus for the experience. Sometimes Ni manifests itself in the interpretation of reality as a mystical construct, and of reified mental illusions. And sometimes the experiences have no logical explanation. But Ni does not try to explain them away logically, although the experiences are made to fit into a theory.

Yeah got that part. Alright I can see now why you think Ne > Ni for yourself, because you aren't really into the mystical craziness, you're more into analysing stuff related to the external world.

Though I wouldn't say this on its own confirms INTP over ISTP (as Ni is weak-ish for ISTP anyway). I don't know you of course. Just saying.

Still, I think this remains unclear:

Mal12345 said:
The concepts are higher than the facts themselves, it is a moment of intellectual synthesis in which many facts are brought together beneath a single mental idea that serves to unify them all. There is nothing "logical" about this, Ti has nothing to do with it.

This to me sounds like an introverted function. You are saying Ti has nothing to do with this. It cannot be Ne because Ne is not focused and introverted like this. Then what is this? Do you disagree that this is describing an introverted function attitude?

I think that it's due to the Ne side of me that is so open to considering all kinds of data, not just the data considered verifiable by science. The important thing is to keep it separate from science, and the Ni type is not likely to do this. For example, I have an INTJ friend who, when he was studying genetics in college, sincerely found evidence of God's creative influence in his examination of the DNA molecule.

Heh this part about your INTJ friend.. lol. Hmm the way I see it, yeah I don't really keep my little intuitive side (Ni) separate from science. I see science as only part of the world, it's just the most refined way of human thinking and it's not above of or separate from anything else in this sense. I just think your INTJ friend really got it wrong by trying to stick to one little piece of data of whatever he found in DNA and trying to explain everything from that. That's both logically and intuitively wrong, to me. How it's illogical is easy to explain. I can't explain why it's intuitively wrong, my Ni isn't as refined or anything, it's more vague but I just have this sense that it's wrong to take one little part out of the whole like that. Well though maybe that's really Ni "contaminated" with a lot of Ti too :p

Guess if you don't relate to what I've tried babbling about here, you're probably not the same type I am :p