• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you even sniff? (about the tricky x in INxP)

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Now to begin, I initially tested as INFP maybe 5 or 6 years ago during depression and I scored highest on e4, e5 and e9. I don't think the conditions were right to be properly INFP even though I occasionally test as It, however those three enneagram types seem to describe me pretty well. Nowadays I score heavily on introversion and intuition, very lightly on thinking and moderately on perceiving and I score high on Ti, then Ne then Fi on most function tests. So that would clearly (?) mean INTP; but wait, there's more - on the contrary, I feel like I am out of touch with my desires and especially my actions. I also tend ot value mercy higher than justice, though that depends. I feel like I value mercy out of others misfortune, which may suggest Fe and maybe being e9. I don't relate to having strong convictions that a normal INFP has, only lightly. but the intensity and the dreaminess are pretty much there.

A normal day in the life would be to first plan out what I'm going to do in the day, even though I get most things done most deadlines and time schedules bend pretty easily. I don't seem to fully engage in something unless it really interests me, which then I throw myself into 100 percent, though in sporadic spikes of energy. I do a lot of thinking when I'm interested but what certainly fogs that up is my idealism that seems to go with being INFP. Especially in music, I sort of feel around for what matches the ideal mostly rather than think about it. It might not even be Fi, but it certainly seems similar.

As for being an e4, I test high on it but I don't really relate too much to envy, although I would call myself an idealist. I'm most probably an e9 as I can identify with lots of people and pretty much do not have full effort until something really proves to stand out. I've found some works by Charles Darwin (it was even provided by the UK, lol) and read maybe a hundred pages but I can't muster up the same intensity I had when I first read it.

And for intuition, I would certainly say I prefer Ne over Ni. I don't use it all that much but I'm pretty sure I go off on tangents rather than sticking to one main thing.

I don't identify with the coldness that comes off from NTs though, all the more for being INFP.

In short, I consider myself to be IxxP, most probably INxP.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want to learn and entertain. I like being prepared for conversations with people and having some interesting things to say. I don't consider myself good at small talking, but when the time is right, I go into full intensity about a topic that's recently caught my interest. I hate not having anything to say and just listening. I find it rude not to have anything to share.

I like to entertain as well since it just feels good. Reactions can certainly be priceless, and the joy that comes from joy is, well...joyful!

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I'd say when I finally become motivated to do something. I can feel my own life force go into drive and actually do something.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Being unprepared, lots of people, not knowing enough, failing other people.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I would say I think of pros and cons more, especially when it comes to buying stuff. I'll come back to that again later when I have something more to say.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I like to tinker and learn in a project. I feel like the outcome can wait until I feel that I have done enough and then leave it there. I feel like the more you know the more you realize you don't know, and so all you can do is squirm in a bottomless sea of facts, history and all sorts. I don't particularly like workling in a group but I usually make a good comrade.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Entertaining. I don't consider myself extraverted but I like to share what I can do and like the feedback that comes through and it allows me to grow even more.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I normally memorize a lot of the time when I'm learning, but I do theorize occasionally, usually when memorizing becomes inordinate you can just theorize and fill the gap that would probably take more time remembering. LIke for example, in Japanese, you can decide to memorize the I-type and Na-type adjectives, or you can theorize some of it as well as memorize like remembering, for example, that formal past negative I-type words use 'ku arimasen' and that would infer Na-type is 'ja arimasen'. I mostly memorize though, even though I don't really like it. I'd much rather quickly think of the cause/effect something has than have to routinely go through memory to access something.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I would say I am pretty organized. I leave things in their usual place (most of the time). I wouldn't call myself a judger though.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I just let myself do the thinking and come to a conclusion what makes obvious sense to me.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

That's a tough question. I would probably say the latter (just).

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

To both former options, yes. I like to have more intense experiences than have a variety.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

No I don't, I like to consider what it is I'm getting myself into. Spontaneous is not a good word to describe me.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I would probably call it a night and watch TV :smile:

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I'd say I pretend that nothing is wrong. I barely act out of character when stressed. I feel like I'm just being even more self-absorbed.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Those who do not assume respect for others and take others for granted. It should be written that you should play nice and then get to know someone more before jumping to conclusions. I'm mostly tolerant though.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Anything from what I practice, whats new, some random stuff from the internet. Anything mostly. But I barely talk to people about other people unless it can't be avoided (like, 'did you hear X is in hospital? I feel so sorry'), otherwise it just seems gossipy to me and I don't think I like that.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

I'm so hipster it hurts.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?

They would say I am generous, thoughtful and sometimes funny. They would never call me a people person or obnoxious.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

HIre out a studio and play some music, possibly with some friends. I would buy a whole lot of books and just lose myself in them. Then finally I'd host a well-played game of circle of death with those dearest.

Octavarium

I'm thinking more likely INFP than INTP; in your questionnaire, there's more of an emphasis on relating to people than I'd expect from an INTP. You're probably not that far from the J/P middle either; I think you are more P than J, but not a really strong P. [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION] has compiled a list of links to profiles for each type, so here's a list of profiles for all the INxx types. You could maybe let us know if there's anything in those profiles that you particularly relate to or don't relate to.

And I also like these NF and NT descriptions, which were posted at PerC:
NF - Catalyst/Idealists
NT - Theorist/Rationals

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm thinking more likely INFP than INTP; in your questionnaire, there's more of an emphasis on relating to people than I'd expect from an INTP. You're probably not that far from the J/P middle either; I think you are more P than J, but not a really strong P. [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION] has compiled a list of links to profiles for each type, so here's a list of profiles for all the INxx types. You could maybe let us know if there's anything in those profiles that you particularly relate to or don't relate to.

And I also like these NF and NT descriptions, which were posted at PerC:
NF - Catalyst/Idealists
NT - Theorist/Rationals

Thanks, I am reading them now as I am making this post, and I will get back to you in....15 minutes. Time starts now (0:00 :D)

I just read all 4 Berens & Nardi profiles and I think I would choose INFP next to INTP tied with INFJ at 2nd place and then lastly INTJ. I don't really relate to the 'guiding people' part of INFJs and generally Fe. But I don't really relate to Fi that well overall either, which is why I guessed I was an e9 or something else (though not so much the connection and oneness, just the numbing) despite ranking it first (because really, if I had to pick any 4 combinations of functions it would probably be Fi Ne over anything else). If I had to choose 2 types though I would definitely say either INFP or maybe INTP, even with Fi and Ti being the last shadow function of both types. As for INTJ, I don't use Te as aggressively as they do, and I don't think I use Ni that often either even as an intriguing function it is. Ti would be up there with Fi, but I don't use it heavily and would say it's subservient to Fi.

However, as for temperaments I would probably say NT over NF by just a fraction. I'm not justifying why I think that at all, or maybe I am, but I just don't relate to Fi too much (mildly though). If I just glance over the INFP profile rather than NF, I would be more likely to say 'that's me'. The NF temperament analysis seems to focus too much on their diplomatic and charming side rather than being powerful creatures of nature (lol). So in the end I think INxp is probably the best fit.

yeghor

Thanks, I am reading them now as I am making this post, and I will get back to you in....15 minutes. Time starts now (0:00 :D)

I just read all 4 Berens & Nardi profiles and I think I would choose INFP next to INTP tied with INFJ at 2nd place and then lastly INTJ. I don't really relate to the 'guiding people' part of INFJs and generally Fe. But I don't really relate to Fi that well overall either, which is why I guessed I was an e9 or something else (though not so much the connection and oneness, just the numbing) despite ranking it first (because really, if I had to pick any 4 combinations of functions it would probably be Fi Ne over anything else). If I had to choose 2 types though I would definitely say either INFP or maybe INTP, even with Fi and Ti being the last shadow function of both types. As for INTJ, I don't use Te as aggressively as they do, and I don't think I use Ni that often either even as an intriguing function it is. Ti would be up there with Fi, but I don't use it heavily and would say it's subservient to Fi.

However, as for temperaments I would probably say NT over NF by just a fraction. I'm not justifying why I think that at all, or maybe I am, but I just don't relate to Fi too much (mildly though). If I just glance over the INFP profile rather than NF, I would be more likely to say 'that's me'. The NF temperament analysis seems to focus too much on their diplomatic and charming side rather than being powerful creatures of nature (lol). So in the end I think INxp is probably the best fit.

This test is good

http://www.sociotype.com/tests/

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your Sociotype: LII-1Ne (INTj)

ILI (INTp): 84% as likely as LII.
ILE (ENTp): 68% as likely as LII.
EII (INFj): 67% as likely as LII.

Octavarium

Yeah, a lot of NF descriptions, including the one I linked to, exaggerate the conflict avoidance. But I think what they're getting at is that NFs tend to be skilled at bringing people together, helping people grow, ETC. That doesn't mean NFs are always nice to everyone all the time. Could you tell us a bit more about what you relate to/don't relate to about INFP and INTP and/or NT and NF? If you're sure you're an IN, and I don't see any reason to doubt that, and INTJ is the type you relate to the least out of the INs, I'd say chances are you're an INFP. On the other hand, I think it's possible to be INxp, and you did say you relate more to NT than NF, so I'm not by any means saying you couldn't possibly be an INTP.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, a lot of NF descriptions, including the one I linked to, exaggerate the conflict avoidance. But I think what they're getting at is that NFs tend to be skilled at bringing people together, helping people grow, ETC. That doesn't mean NFs are always nice to everyone all the time. Could you tell us a bit more about what you relate to/don't relate to about INFP and INTP and/or NT and NF? If you're sure you're an IN, and I don't see any reason to doubt that, and INTJ is the type you relate to the least out of the INs, I'd say chances are you're an INFP. On the other hand, I think it's possible to be INxp, and you did say you relate more to NT than NF, so I'm not by any means saying you couldn't possibly be an INTP.

Overall, the NF description does not describe me well (maybe I don't know myself that well, but I just don't see it), and I suppose because the profiles enhances the conflict avoidance and peace seeking that you talked about. Specifically for INFP, I don't relate to Fi all the time and that severely. A normal day would be; think about what I'm going to do and have a vague plan of action, use the forums I'm on to bounce around ideas mainly (Ne) and write music by seeking what is ideal (this goes for a few other things but that more so). Mainly, it seems like I'm in a blank state where the functions are in limbo most of the time. This is what I relate to with type 9; sloth and the numbing, and sometimes oneness. It might be normal to not use functions too often but that is what I mainly relate to type 9. However being a crusader for justice happens rarely (Fi I'm talking 'bout). I don't relate to the strong convictions or the dread and melancholy most INFPs burden (at least not that often it appears), but I do use Ne to some degree (not too often either but I can definitely see it as an auxiliary function) which leads me to believe I am probably an INxP (as I mentioned just then, it isn't major so I'm not ENP).

For INTP: When I am interested in a topic (and I mean properly interested) I tend to get so self-absorbed and then once I am done I come out with a much more deeper understanding (I think this can apply to anyone so I am still skeptical of being INTP just for that reason). When I'm confident enough I like inventing or taking the idea an extra step further and see what else I can do with it (Ne maybe?). I will only go deep if it really interests me though, otherwise it's like water cooler talk for the most part.

Not for INTP: Generally not aloof or cold, even though I would say I am not a hardcore Fi user I do place mercy over justice and I don't like rigid rules - they should be flexible enough to let people naturally learn from their errors instead of be forced to obey something when they may do anything out of bad habit that can't be tamed until more trial and error. Don't think it's a feeling thing, maybe not or so idk, but that seems more INFPish anyway.