• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tritypeless

B

brainheart

totally...and i guess our lack of clarity stems from not knowing how it even functions. like maybe we'd know if we knew what ways to expect to notice an eight gut fix in a core 4 or 7 etc etc we need to start with this i guess.

I know, exactly! I hate how it's all just a bunch of examples (I'm talking to the Fauvres right now.) I want to look under the hood and see why it does what and how it works. That's what I like about enneagram. Not to mention so much tritype stuff focuses on the positives. Give me the ugly truth, people.

And in that way...

I avoided the seven as head type conclusion because it is something I really don't like about myself (sorry core 7s, I love you, truly). As I mentioned before, my five wing hates it (as does my core four, vehemently). Why am I so flaky and dropping shit for the latest bright and shiny, you silly moth? Meanwhile, I could say the same thing about nine as a gut fix. I hate how inert and foot dragging I get, how I sleepwalk through life. No offense to nines, but I complain about nines often. An eight fix kind of sounds badass, and that troubles me. If it were my actual fix I think I'd hate it. (Also, I wrote a 479 description in the past and it's one of the more honest things I've written. I don't even know how I'd go about writing a 471 or 478 description...)

And here it is:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49651&page=10&p=1899671&viewfull=1#post1899671

479s typically tone down their hyper-emotionality and suffering when around others. They don't want to be difficult, and they don't want to be drama queens. They find such a self-image embarrassing, and they are certain the future holds great promise and potential, so aren't they a little pathetic for focusing on their tragedy? They may self-dramatize and bring attention to themselves at times, but it's typically followed by a down-playing of the tragedy and a reframing of the situation- "All in all, it was probably worth it, and not really a big deal, anyway..."

479s view themselves as special, clever, elite, talented, and regrettably, ordinary. Attracted to the new, the known, and the emotionally intense, they can feel a bit of the will-o'-the-wisp, never quite knowing where their fancy will take them- will the day be mundane or exhilarating? Dramatic or comforting?

Intellectually and emotionally curious, yet liking balance, 479s tend not to push things 'too far'. They may play it safe in a lot of ways, getting their stimuli and emotional depth via books, film, music and other artistic media versus through gritty life experience or putting themselves on the line (although they likely swing through levels of mania or hyper-excitability and depression or listlessness). 479s are somewhat risk averse- the four may dive into dangerous waters but the seven wants to keep things pleasurable and light while the nine would really rather take it easy, so the 479 ends up swimming back to shore, reads a good book in a hammock and then falls asleep, all the while wondering when something big will happen in their life, when they will finally reach their full magnitude.

The 479s' tendency to take the easier road can quite likely lead to a regretful place where they find themselves mired with difficult questions: "Why do I fall so easily? When will I get my drive, determination and self-discipline? What will it take for me to stay committed to one thing, no matter how difficult it is? When is my life going to be how I expected it to be?" These questions (and the failings they acknowledge) may lead to depression and a loss of self-esteem, but that doesn't mean thinking about them and recognizing their flaws is going to get them anywhere. The only way 479s will truly have lives which please them is through sucking it up and getting down to business. This doesn't mean a life of drudgery, but rather acknowledging what matters to them and making it manifest- honestly expressing their emotional range vs sugar-coating it; recognizing that potential doesn't equate ability and experience (and then making a point of acquiring that experience and ability); and not getting tired and apathetic when life throws challenges their way.

With accomplishments and self-fulfillment, 479s can't help but recognize that they possess great worth. They are innovative and creative in an inspired and life-affirming way. They see beauty in all things and beings and recognize the necessity of both pleasure and pain. They are wholly aware that they are entirely unique yet simultaneously connected to every living being, and they are joyful to be living their life, with all its messiness, struggles, and simple pleasures.

Core Fours will have a harder edge and go deeper. They will be more emotionally expressive and darker than the 974 or 749.
Core Sevens will be lighter and more energetic. They will be more upbeat, fun, and enthusiastic/excitable than the 974 or 479.
Core Nines will be more gentle and accommodating. They will be more easy-going, relaxed, and have more of a healing presence than the 479 or 749.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right no not offended...actually i think only true 7's feel the painful truth of it's influence.

or true head fixed 7's...like otherwise it's seems all lovely but we know how it isn't.

B

brainheart

right no not offended...actually i think only true 7's feel the painful truth of it's influence.

or true head fixed 7's...like otherwise it's seems all lovely but we know how it isn't.

Yeah. Absolutely. Kind of like how people romanticize four when being a four sucks, like to the point of wanting to kill yourself it sucks so bad..

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. Absolutely. Kind of like how people romanticize four when being a four sucks, like to the point of wanting to kill yourself it sucks so bad..

yes for sure. i live with a 4. i know it's pain haha but i can't feel it from the inside like it's my own...would i if i was 4 fixed? or does it feel different if i was 7w6 4w3 8w9/9w8?

B

brainheart

yes for sure. i live with a 4. i know it's pain haha but i can't feel it from the inside like it's my own...would i if i was 4 fixed? or does it feel different if i was 7w6 4w3 8w9/9w8?

you should probably ask [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] about that.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you should probably ask [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] about that.
okay yes you're right...we need to start an enneagram thread for all the people who know more than we do to answer our questions.

B

brainheart

[MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] sent me the riso-hudson questions for the 8,9, and 1 in a pm so I figured I'd go ahead and put my results/ruminations/response on here-

Ok, so-

8: 43
9: 33
1: 41

Not too clear... Not nine, though if I go by this. The nine statements for the most part were extremely foreign to me. I think I have a tendency to confuse extroverted perceiving with nine, as well as depression.

As far as the gist of the eight statements go, I think I tend to be straight forward and direct (when I do talk); I definitely take people under my wing; I think of those I care about as mine, and can get mother bear-ish when I think they need to be defended. But I'm not a particularly tough person. I'm extremely empathetic and sensitive. I have done mean things before to those I care about. I can get angry and upset them but I feel really bad about it afterwards. Much of the eight seems ruthless, which I definitely am not. But I do have a resilience and brusqueness that seems to be missing from some other INFP 4s. There's a bit of a 'quit your complaining and deal with it' aspect to me, although I can be extremely giving and gentle with those I love.

One: I think overly prudish/reserved people need to loosen up, but I also know I can be perceived as prudish/reserved to some- I will bristle at certain behaviors because they seem to me too coarse or base- or ugly. My ideals, values, and principles matter a lot to me. But they are my ideals, values, and principles that come from within, not anyone else's. (Fi.) That said, I am not a black and white thinker. I think there is a lot of gray out there. I very much have a harsh inner critic who loves to beat me up. I set high standards for myself but I never achieve them, which makes me beat myself up all the more, but I do feel inspired to do something greater, to improve myself. I don't relate to the J-ish questions on there, not even remotely. I am horrible at time management and I really struggle to get anything done. The last word someone would use to describe me would be anal. But I am also very much a perceiver. On MBTI tests my percentages come out in the order of Perceiving-Feeling-Introversion-Intuition.

I know we talked about this before, our upbringing. I grew up in a very one-ish household and you said there was a lot of eight influence in yours. I can say that in comparison to my one-ish parents, I'm extremely free wheeling, ha. But there is a bit of the one influence still in me, definitely. It's hard to say whether that's me or my parents. And then there's the four line to one.... Hard to detangle.

B

brainheart

Okay I've narrowed it down to 471 or 479. I'm going to completely shut the door on 478, as in no way. I think what looks like eight is just sexual four talking.

As far as nine goes, I'm kind of a mellow sexual four. I mean, I'm angry and competitive and critical but I also engage in a lot numbing myself, falling asleep to my desires. I'm also pretty easy going for a sexual four. I could see how a 9 fix would take the edge off a sexual four. I don't think a 1 fix would do that so much.

That said, I can get pretty self righteous and bossy and think my way is the best way. As my daughter says when I'm in the midst of my rants, "If you were in charge the world would be a better place." "It's true, it would," I reply, and I'm sort of joking, but not really. (Sexual one is called the reformer, and yeah, I can definitely see aspects of that in me.)

I'm certain about the seven head, though. Interestingly, I feel like I've dealt with a lot of the four stuff already, and now I need to make more sense of the seven, that it's the big hurdle right now. That might be why I'm feeling all connected to the sx/sp sevens on here at the moment...