• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics BETA or GAMMA?!?!

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My quadra should really be the ALPHA one though. After I've ascertained which one I belong to, I'll go and reorder the quadras so mine's first! :devil:

Anyway, now more seriously, I'll start by telling upfront that I don't relate to Ne/Si at all so I must be in Beta or Gamma. But beyond that it's not clear right now. I'll copypaste parts of my posts from the quadras thread and modify and expand on it.

When filling out this test, I noticed I related really strongly to some statements.

Focus on achieving goals and one's individuality. Visions become reality with planning and hard work.
(Oh yes darling.)

and

I put a lot of effort into maintaining my relationships and place a lot of value on them. I help those I care about to achieve their goals through motivation and encouragement. I care about how I look and often enjoy unique styles that help me stand out from the crowd.
(Oh second and third sentences YES)

Also, just to give my preferences more weight; these statements were directly contrasted with these two statements:

Have fun in a light-hearted atmosphere; enjoy life and don't take it too seriously.
(What, no, no, my problem is I take life too seriously haha... I enjoy it too, though.)

and

I love helping take care of the ones I love. Whether it's providing emotional support or a comfortable atmosphere, my friends and family will always come first in my life. I care about how I look but comfort usually comes first.
(Whaat, no, looks come before comfort. I'm not too worried about whatever comfortable atmosphere either. Friends are cool though)

Those things have led me to believe I may be in the Gamma quadra. Now to be more precise on how I relate to all the above and some other Gamma stuff;

Sure I don't focus on goals all day long, no I'm too impulsive for that and sometimes just too lazy for it, but I do need to have some goals every day. Some immediate ones and some longer term stuff as well. If I just have the immediate ones, great, it means lots of life is definitely going on, well it mainly means there's been stuff I desired to get and went out to get it; but at the end of the day I will feel like I'm missing something, as if nothing really happened. The long term visions are definitely crucial in giving more point to my life.

Before you ask what if there's no immediate short term goals, well I'll say that's not a state that can go on for very long. It will be alright for a while but then I will feel like too low energy or something. No no, I'm not always on the go or industrious, I can be really fucking lazy and enjoy that too but I can't be like that all day. I think it's also related to the Decisive reinin dichotomy, I'm more ready than relaxed. My whole body goes along with that!

So, overall, I like planning, I'm fine with making pretty efficient plans and like working hard by executing these plans but I'm definitely not a workaholic either. I just can't be bothered with being a real workaholic. I like havin' fun too. Means I'm a big procrastinator on unwanted things actually. Only the deadlines or whatever other external circumstances will force me to do those tasks.

Individuality, yeah well I honestly don't know what it means when someone's got "charisma". I'm blind to that sort of thing. I'm also blind to all emotional group based reasoning. I need to understand things for myself. If something I'm interested in doesn't make sense, I readily argue heatedly, ruining group harmony. I can also ruin the harmony by being demanding of what I want, placing my own needs over what the group wants. Also, I don't really easily belong to groups, I don't know what it means to be part of them. I'm not into following someone else's group. I'm not going along with whatever others feel should be at a given moment.

As for motivating and encouraging people to get closer to their goals, I happily do that by directly providing motivation and by offering knowledge on how to do things, I also prefer explaining the stuff along with it, as I don't like it if someone just mindlessly follows a "how to" list of instructions. I also like to help people keep up with stuff they've already started, I like to make them focus on long term results, I tell them not to get stuck in the moment when there's an obstacle discouraging them, I like to explain how it's better to focus into the future. That's because it helps you get past difficulties, you know it's only temporary and more than that, you see the trends, see how things work over long term, which is useful, and especially see that you are getting better/closer to goal/etc.

As for caring about my looks and standing out with my looks, YEP. This needs no more explaining really. Well I don't want to look like a freak so I'm somewhat conservative with my dressing but I do like to play with my dressing style. The more sensory impact the better, to a degree, I said I'm somewhat conservative. OK, in my boldest moments, I let go of some of the conservatism but not all of it even then. My sister however says I'm really extravagant. Sure, compared to her I am. She's very subdued with her looks/clothing. I stand out a lot more. Funny example on our differences; I bought her a piece of clothing as a gift recently, I thought it'll fit her really well. She said she liked it but it was too "extravagant" for her (her actual word usage). I saw nothing "extravagant" about it, honestly. Our tolerances for that stuff are at very different levels clearly, she being a lot more sensitive.

Finally, relationships. I do place high value on them but only in theory. In reality I don't look like I care much. That's because I honestly don't think of it often enough. Or when I try to care it gets complicated fast. When I decide I should actively work towards caring about my relationships, it tends to be interpreted as me being demanding. (That fits the choleric temperament in the relationship area scarily well. E.g. in Dr. Rick Martin's temperament book or whatever) I will say "demanding" isn't a bad word for this, it's my requirement for devotion in close relationships.

But most of the time I apparently don't look like I care. Here's an example, a friend of mine got seriously offended - and I found out from someone else only much later by accident - that one day we were talking about such special things, plans for the future to do things together then next day I looked like I didn't care anymore. Honestly I have no idea why she got that impression. I didn't mention the "special stuff" later, sure, but she also didn't!! So why blame me? Same friend also called me "too dramatic" later when after her distancing from me I tried to get close again.

There's this other problem with Gamma, I don't relate to the hardline ethics thingie, mine is more... how to say, flexible. Like, I can say to someone, "fuck, you're such a psychopath, not caring about your friend?!?!". I'm really upset and angry in those moments for sure. Anyway, next minute I totally forget the whole argument, I take that quality from my family, no one holds grudges in my family, things are out in the open right away and that's lovely. We look like we are seriously going to kill each other in one moment then next moment everyone's happy with everyone else.

That latter quality is Fe-ish, I know. I however got the Gamma-ish individualism, because I don't relate to the Beta groupthink. Whatever "ideologies" I may like is my own stuff, not gonna follow others. I'm impervious to emotionally based reasoning, I dislike cults too. I dislike the idea of trying to join emotionality if I don't feel part of a group and I often don't, as I mentioned above.

Now to complicate things more. I did give some example above that was about judging in the heat of the moment, but I don't necessarily use ethical judgments even in such moments of conflict, sometimes I just express how I'm really upset, simply shout, throw shit, etc. Yap, bad temper and yes I must express my emotions. Flexible Fi or bad Fe use?

Also, if someone did something bad to me, I will revenge that but not out of a refined ethics motivation. It's out of plain anger, done right there and then, not refined and I don't really decide in some unchanging way that the person's character itself is bad. It doesn't mean I will still trust them in future, though. If it's a bad idea in a practical sense then I will not trust. And if I threaten someone with shit, that's also not usually due to ethical judgments, it's usually just to get something, so out of more of a material or territorial motivation than of any use of a sophisticated ethical framework. Alright I'm not perfect in this sense.

Otoh I can really get upset over certain people's troubles caused by other people, I will really go out of my way to defend them. Some of those people are family and some are just random people who got the unfair treatment in certain situations.

What I'm good at though, and I recall it may be some F thing, it is changing my attitudes to get a goal of mine, to get something I desire. I can become really diplomatic and kind and nice to certain people at times to get what I want when this seems to be the most efficient route especially if there's time constraints. Though I don't do that with family or friends, with them I don't ever need to be a diplomat at all and that's comfortable haha. The problem with that is that me being completely myself without inhibition will offend some more sensitive friends.

Well ok I've had enough brain dumping here. Opinions? Is the goal etc stuff Se and/or SeTe? NiTe? And is the ethics part valued Fi, just a flexible use or simply a bad use of it, along with crappy Fe? Valued or unvalued? Let me know! Thanks!

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Possible the socionics forum guys don't come over here much? So... Picked a few names from the socionics forum threads:

[MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10791]sulfit[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5759]edchidna1000[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18559]SophiaDeep[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11928]Vetani[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10550]Dr Mobius[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]

I'm curious about opinions :)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You could be ESFP going by your self description.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not one to type people, I'd rather give people resources and tell them to find out for themselves. It's much more conclusive that way because I don't know you as well as you do.

From a brief scan, all I can really say is irrational (IP/EP). The rest are broad strokes that can be easily applied to most types.

http://socionics.us/theory.shtml

http://www.socionics.us/works/semantics.shtml

For advanced reading: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Gulenko_Cognitive_Styles

Thanks for the input & links. :)

You could be ESFP going by your self description.

Thanks to you too ;) I assume you meant ESFp/SEE, right? Can you say more about where you see creative Fi specifically?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Possible the socionics forum guys don't come over here much? So... Picked a few names from the socionics forum threads:

[MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10791]sulfit[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5759]edchidna1000[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18559]SophiaDeep[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11928]Vetani[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10550]Dr Mobius[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]

I'm curious about opinions :)

Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I've been doing Socionics stuff on my Facebook group.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were SEE. They use Fi creatively meaning it's not so hard-line but situational. The main thing for SEEs is that they get what they want and their personal relations with others are a means to that end.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well ok I've had enough brain dumping here. Opinions? Is the goal etc stuff Se and/or SeTe? NiTe? And is the ethics part valued Fi, just a flexible use or simply a bad use of it, along with crappy Fe? Valued or unvalued? Let me know! Thanks!
Hard to tell because many of the things you mentioned have nothing to do with Beta vs Gamma value. Like focus on achieving goals, planning, hard word, etc.

Take a look at the Gamma examples in this thread and see if they feel like the kind of people you see yourself fitting with or if something feels off about them (the typings from later posts are more accurate than the earlier ones): http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/showthread.php/35776-Gamma-Examples

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I've been doing Socionics stuff on my Facebook group.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were SEE. They use Fi creatively meaning it's not so hard-line but situational. The main thing for SEEs is that they get what they want and their personal relations with others are a means to that end.

How do they use personal relations for that? Tell me a bit more about this.

Hard to tell because many of the things you mentioned have nothing to do with Beta vs Gamma value. Like focus on achieving goals, planning, hard word, etc.

Hm yeah they don't have to be quadra values. I saw these things associated with Se/Ni/Te but yeah it's more generic topics than that.

Take a look at the Gamma examples in this thread and see if they feel like the kind of people you see yourself fitting with or if something feels off about them (the typings from later posts are more accurate than the earlier ones): http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/showthread.php/35776-Gamma-Examples

I'm not into VI typings so that thread doesn't help. Thanks anyway.

If you got some good questions (for typing), please let me know ;)

Socionics is bullshit you don't need it.

What's BS about it in your opinion?

badger055

Permabanned
What's BS about it in your opinion?

It's not logically sound. It's such a bad system. Everything is innacurate. Most of it looks made up. There is no ISTP type it's like split into different types and it's like that for other types too. Not one socionics type describes me. Lots of people I have talked to also have no socionics type too it describes them 60% at most. It adds nothing new or valuable because it's all wrong. Typing people by how they look is total bullshit. People who don't know any better are the only people who use this thing. It's like a cult. It's worse than astrology. Why anyone would choose this MBTI abomination over the actual MBTI system I have no idea. MBTI is actually accurate and logical.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not logically sound. It's such a bad system. Everything is innacurate. Most of it looks made up. There is no ISTP type it's like split into different types and it's like that for other types too. Not one socionics type describes me. Lots of people I have talked to also have no socionics type too it describes them 60% at most. It adds nothing new or valuable because it's all wrong. Typing people by how they look is total bullshit. People who don't know any better are the only people who use this thing. It's like a cult. It's worse than astrology. Why anyone would choose this MBTI abomination over the actual MBTI system I have no idea. MBTI is actually accurate and logical.

I agree the VI seems bullshit.

There is also the reinin bullshit, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, some of it does and a lot of it doesn't.

I do find though that the Se/Ni stuff in socionics is scarily accurate for me in some things. The other functions are interesting too. Just very different from MBTI.

Some of the concepts on function placement are interesting too, e.g. creative, mobilizing, PoLR function...

So I'm interested in the system.

Otoh, I've had this thought that the socionics stuff on valued functions and quadra values etc could all be eliminated by just using MBTI and enneagram together.

And overall I'm not really sold on the idea that functions are always placed like the theory says, either in MBTI or in socionics. (Order and attitude of dominant, auxiliary, etc. functions)

badger055

Permabanned
I agree the VI seems bullshit.

There is also the reinin bullshit, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, some of it does and a lot of it doesn't.

I do find though that the Se/Ni stuff in socionics is scarily accurate for me in some things. The other functions are interesting too. Just very different from MBTI.

Some of the concepts on function placement are interesting too, e.g. creative, mobilizing, PoLR function...

So I'm interested in the system.

Otoh, I've had this thought that the socionics stuff on valued functions and quadra values etc could all be eliminated by just using MBTI and enneagram together.

And overall I'm not really sold on the idea that functions are always placed like the theory says, either in MBTI or in socionics. (Order and attitude of dominant, auxiliary, etc. functions)

You don't even have a type in it I don't know how you take it seriously. You can't just choose the parts you like. If one part is bad the whole system is bad. And yea for me MBTI and enneagram cover almost my whole personality. Socionics looks like the retarded step child to me.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't even have a type in it I don't know how you take it seriously. You can't just choose the parts you like. If one part is bad the whole system is bad. And yea for me MBTI and enneagram cover almost my whole personality. Socionics looks like the retarded step child to me.

dqucmLU.jpg

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes the system itself may be crap but I might as well say MBTI and enneagram are crap also. None of these systems are perfect. So the only way I can use them is by just observing things and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Oh and I've at least narrowed my socionics type down to 8 types (Se/Ni valuing types), that's more than nothing :D

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to mention intertype relations, which is something MBTI and enneagram don't really have. I think of it the same way as the reinin dichotomies, some of it makes sense and some doesn't...

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It works decently well from what I could tell. But it's complicated and requires an IQ of at least 120+ to be comprehended. Anyone below that will make a mess out of it or view it as a religious cult. Similarly to how our ancestors assigned mystical properties to lightening because they didn't know how it works, some lower IQ people assign mystical properties to socionics. It's actually a very elegant system, and more advanced than MBTI.

S

Stansmith

I think Socionics clears up alot of the discrepancies present among people who identify as the same Myers-Briggs type, although it isn't a perfect system either by any means.

For example, why is at that some people describe Myers-Briggs ISFPs passive, playful and self-forgetting, while others describe them as relatively aggressive, righteous and argumentative? The SiFe (ISFp) and FiSe (ISFj) descriptions in Socionics help clarify this discrepancy to a certain extent.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It works decently well from what I could tell. But it's complicated and requires an IQ of at least 120+ to be comprehended. Anyone below that will make a mess out of it or view it as a religious cult. Similarly to how our ancestors assigned mystical properties to lightening because they didn't know how it works, some lower IQ people assign mystical properties to socionics. It's actually a very elegant system, and more advanced than MBTI.

I hope you were just joking here about the IQ requirements. :doh:

I don't think it's a truly complicated theory, nope. Go study something at university, that'll be a lot more complicated. Yet you don't need a 120+ IQ for it. I'm going to give you a real specific example, a friend of mine was officially tested and got a 115 IQ and she's majoring in computer science and almost completed it already. No don't tell me socionics is harder than compsci! :p

So where did you get the idea that there is this limit of 120 for understanding socionics? How did you even measure that reliably on a big enough sample? But more importantly, what do you think it is that's so terribly complicated in socionics that requires that much IQ? It's surely not the math part. Not the concepts either and not the Model-A. Application of the theory? That I think just needs a certain orientation, not IQ. (No I'm not talking about any specific jungian function here! I can elaborate if anyone wants.)

I do agree though that there isn't anything mystical about socionics. And sure it's more complex than MBTI but its complexity is nowhere near real complex systems...

I think Socionics clears up alot of the discrepancies present among people who identify as the same Myers-Briggs type, although it isn't a perfect system either by any means.

For example, why is at that some people describe Myers-Briggs ISFPs passive, playful and self-forgetting, while others describe them as relatively aggressive, righteous and argumentative? The SiFe (ISFp) and FiSe (ISFj) descriptions in Socionics help clarify this discrepancy to a certain extent.

So what happens to MBTI ISFJ?

Are all ESIs happily relating to the entirety of the ESI description? I don't think so.

All in all, I think it's not exactly about clearing up MBTI discrepancies, it's just that socionics organizes various observed traits into 16 types in a different way. This on its own doesn't mean it's better or worse than MBTI. To decide if it is actually better at categorizing people, quite a few studies would have to be done.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...and since this is my typing thread, you all can now analyse to your heart's content what I posted above, is it revealing of my ways of thinking? Lol

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Hey, have you been busy?

I'm finding I don't really relate to Ti PoLR. I actually naturally keep checking for consistency in what I say when reasoning about something. The creative Fi, if it means personal relations are manipulated to get things, I don't relate to that either. So SEE would have to be out the window.

Thing is, function wise, I relate to Beta quadra but not so much to some quadra values. But if I consider Model-A, then Te/Fi valuing is out the window too. I don't relate to a few of the Gamma values either anyway. The quadra values I'm skeptical about anyway, they look like they can be affected by other things, especially by how your life has developed and played out, under what circumstances etc.

Examining Model-A, I find Fe and Ni are more superid-like. So I would like to further explore LSI or SLE. The problem here is, I can't decide based on Model-A. I could go for either functional structure of SLE or LSI, I relate about equally to both. The same for EP and IJ temperaments too, honestly.

Any ideas on how to go from here to pick one?

Of course I'm open to hearing from others even if they have different types for me in mind.

Thanks