• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reassessment of my Enneagram Type and Instinctual Variant

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The desire to be perfectly self-aware and measurable on external standards, to be able to manifest my wordless desires and wishes into concrete, visceral forms.

To craft a symbol of myself, in a way.

But why?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's interesting. I've never really considered myself the person to strive for absolute perfection, just perfection in regards to self-awareness. This warrants further exploration.

I don't know that the type 1 strives for absolute perfection, its motive is to be objective. Your 9-wing strives for symbolism.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's interesting. I've never really considered myself the person to strive for absolute perfection, just perfection in regards to self-awareness. This warrants further exploration.

I don't know that the type 1 strives for absolute perfection, its motive is to be objective ("to know how to explain myself in terms that are relatively objective (as in not deriving from internal, idiosyncratic self-awareness)"). Your 9-wing strives for symbolism.

Edit - here's a bit more from the Enneagram Institute: "When Ones are healthy, however, their objective orientation to life allows them to remain firmly in touch with human realities, including their own."
https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeOneOverview.asp

Alea_iacta_est

I don't know that the type 1 strives for absolute perfection, its motive is to be objective ("to know how to explain myself in terms that are relatively objective (as in not deriving from internal, idiosyncratic self-awareness)". Your 9-wing strives for symbolism.

Intriguing. Does this mean I have to put up with the 1 stereotypes of being rigid, perfectionistic, and punctual? For that is something that definitely does not manifest itself in me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intriguing. Does this mean I have to put up with the 1 stereotypes of being rigid, perfectionistic, and punctual? For that is something that definitely does not manifest itself in me.

Here's my edit from my previous post: here's a bit more from the Enneagram Institute: "When Ones are healthy, however, their objective orientation to life allows them to remain firmly in touch with human realities, including their own."

As for stereotypes, ignore them, it's not as if you're a stereotype.

Alea_iacta_est

Here's my edit from my previous post: here's a bit more from the Enneagram Institute: "When Ones are healthy, however, their objective orientation to life allows them to remain firmly in touch with human realities, including their own."

As for stereotypes, ignore them, it's not as if you're a stereotype.

Alright. Any ideas for instinctual variant? Or is sx/sp fine.

Also, for purposes regarding my signature, ideas for trifix?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright. Any ideas for instinctual variant? Or is sx/sp fine.

Also, for purposes regarding my signature, ideas for trifix?

In considering the trifix, it is necessary to avoid being misled by the appearances presented by "RESONANCE." Since the 1w9 type resonates with 5w4 (because a type resonates with the type at the opposite side of the enneagram), it might be tempting to see the 5w4 as part of your type's trifix. In this, I'm not saying that the 5w4 IS NOT part of your trifix, but that the similarities between resonant types can lead to misidentification of one's trifix - or even of one's primary type.

Because of the multiple attempts at typing yourself that have revealed types from different triads, I'll say 1w9 - 8w7 - 3w4 based on how you've typed yourself before. I don't know about the order of the last two, it literally depends on whichever one you fall back on when 1w9 fails you in some way.

Alea_iacta_est

In considering the trifix, it is necessary to avoid being misled by the appearances presented by "RESONANCE." Since the 1w9 type resonates with 5w4 (because a type resonates with the type at the opposite side of the enneagram), it might be tempting to see the 5w4 as part of your type's trifix. In this, I'm not saying that the 5w4 IS NOT part of your trifix, but that the similarities between resonant types can lead to misidentification of one's trifix - or even of one's primary type.

Because of the multiple attempts at typing yourself I'll say 1w9 - 8w7 - 3w4. I don't know about the order of the last two, it literally depends on whichever one you fall back on when 1w9 fails you in some way.

You have 2 gut fixes and a heart fix there. I am also quite sure of the fact that I do not have an interplay of 1 and 3 in my trifix, as this leads to a more workaholic personality. Methinks 4w3 would be a better fit for heart fix, the conflicted 4.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's like the guy in my birding group who said that a moose had lost some of its feathers.

Alea_iacta_est

I don't know. I guess.

I'll put that as a placeholder for the time being in case another argument is made.

Plus, I feel this description is fairly applicable:

1-5-4 : a reserved, cerebral and fairly intuitive One, who has a preference for the realm of the thought and the abstract. They can be very theoretical and philosophical and like to be alone and ponder things for a long time. They have a developed imagination and a deep insight into the nature of things and people. Mainly isolationists, they have a tendency towards spareness and austerity and are generally economical and even avaritious. At times experience gloomy moods which they strangely enjoy.
usual subtypes: self-preserving, 1w9
similar tritypes: 1-4-5, 5-1-4
flavours: theoretical, philosophical, hoarding and insightful

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll put that as a placeholder for the time being in case another argument is made.

Plus, I feel this description is fairly applicable:

"1-5-4 : a reserved, cerebral and fairly intuitive One, who has a preference for the realm of the thought and the abstract. They can be very theoretical and philosophical and like to be alone and ponder things for a long time. They have a developed imagination and a deep insight into the nature of things and people. Mainly isolationists, they have a tendency towards spareness and austerity and are generally economical and even avaritious. At times experience gloomy moods which they strangely enjoy.
usual subtypes: self-preserving, 1w9
similar tritypes: 1-4-5, 5-1-4
flavours: theoretical, philosophical, hoarding and insightful "

That would be Carl Jung, for sure.

á´…eparted

passages
The desire to be perfectly self-aware and measurable on external standards, to be able to manifest my wordless desires and wishes into concrete, visceral forms.

To craft a symbol of myself, in a way.

I was going to say; this sounds extremely E1. Then I read through to see that's what you've settled on for now. I am inclined to agree with this assessment, and the 9-wing. I also very strongly relate to what you said here (though as I get older it becomes less and less important); a huge drive to be perfectly self aware on an objective external level.

1's have a lot of stereotypes that can lead to folks not typing as them, in particular if the individual does not see themselves as a broad perfectionist or having a strong desire for "order". The thing is, it can be focused only in certain areas and still be apt for the person. You definitely do strive for accuracy from what I can tell, and you want things to be "just right", 5's can be like that as well but there is a differentiating factor between them. A primary 5 wants to learn for the sake of learning, and will go about it however it needs to be. 1's aren't entirely like that.

Another thing that can shy some folks away from 1's (which I believe applies to you), is honesty. It's commonly says that 1's are extremely honest with a strict moral code that is not deviated from. To lie, cheat, manipulate is thought to be a huge violation and wouldn't ever be attempted. That's simply not true. It's true, their moral codes are very often quite strict and they won't bend from them, but this wrongly assumes that all 1's moral codes are "clean and pure". Even then, 1's can absolutely go around their "moral rules", all that needs to be in place is that the ends justify the means. While this doesn't manifest in all type 1's, some of them are like this (I am one of them). I am fully honest and self-disclosing 90% of the time, and everyone around me in my life regards and reveres me for being so... because that's exactly how I need it to be so I can abuse this when times call for it. It's all in the name of getting things "right". At the end of the day, I can be profoundly manipulative.

Alea_iacta_est

I was going to say; this sounds extremely E1. Then I read through to see that's what you've settled on for now. I am inclined to agree with this assessment, and the 9-wing. I also very strongly relate to what you said here (though as I get older it becomes less and less important); a huge drive to be perfectly self aware on an objective external level.

1's have a lot of stereotypes that can lead to folks not typing as them, in particular if the individual does not see themselves as a broad perfectionist or having a strong desire for "order". The thing is, it can be focused only in certain areas and still be apt for the person. You definitely do strive for accuracy from what I can tell, and you want things to be "just right", 5's can be like that as well but there is a differentiating factor between them. A primary 5 wants to learn for the sake of learning, and will go about it however it needs to be. 1's aren't entirely like that.

Another thing that can shy some folks away from 1's (which I believe applies to you), is honesty. It's commonly says that 1's are extremely honest with a strict moral code that is not deviated from. To lie, cheat, manipulate is thought to be a huge violation and wouldn't ever be attempted. That's simply not true. It's true, their moral codes are very often quite strict and they won't bend from them, but this wrongly assumes that all 1's moral codes are "clean and pure". Even then, 1's can absolutely go around their "moral rules", all that needs to be in place is that the ends justify the means. While this doesn't manifest in all type 1's, some of them are like this (I am one of them). I am fully honest and self-disclosing 90% of the time, and everyone around me in my life regards and reveres me for being so... because that's exactly how I need it to be so I can abuse this when times call for it. It's all in the name of getting things "right". At the end of the day, I can be profoundly manipulative.

Interesting take on it, and I wholeheartedly agree. I do have a bit of a perfectionist attitude when it comes to being factually accurate and logically correct and I can be hard on myself if I am not factually accurate or illogical in my approach to things.