• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INTP or INFP and what instinctual variants do I have? Am I even a 9w1?

Gabsto

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello,

So I've thought I was a INFP 9w1 sp/so for some time, until just recently when I thought about reevaluating this, because I didn't spend as much thought on it as I maybe should have.

I did that "double check" test in the sticky thread and came to the conclusion that I could either be an INFP, or an INTP.
The thing was that I didn't really know if I was affilitative or pragmatic.

I've also been quite sure that I am a 9w1, so I guess I'll stick to that. But what I'm not as sure about are what my instinctual variants are.
I read a thread about different combinations of instinctual variants for the type 9 and I noticed that at least 3 of them explained me as a person pretty well.

So what I was hoping for was for someone to maybe ask some questions (or something else that also works) whether I'm an INFP or an INTP, what instinctual variants I have and maybe even some to determine if I really am a 9w1 or if I'm completely lost.

Thank you in advance

PS: I don't think just linking some texts explaining differences etc would work for me, since I always seem to get very undecisive and sort of feel like I am a bit of both, and since it's just a text I can't really bounce my thoughts on it with someone to truly determine what I am.

PPS: Maybe I should include a short text describing myself.
I have a good amounts of friends, but not really any really close friends, ie to everyone I'm just a "second hand" friend.
I don't know why that is, maybe it's because I'm not very talkative. I often perceive myself as a weird and boring individual who at times are kind of awkward maybe.
I always lend a hand when somebody need it, even if it's a complete stranger. I'm also very generous when I can, and rarely turn down requests. When I feel I really can't be generous (maybe because I don't have much left etc) I do have the strength to say no but that most often leads to me feeling bad.
As said before I'm not so talkative. I basically only speak when I'm spoken to.

And well, I can't think of more things to describe myself right now.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Question: What are your values and why are they your values?

(who knows if this will help, but we'll see)

Gabsto

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know really, I sort of look at things individually all the time and I can't think of any particular value I always try to follow.
That doesn't mean that I don't have any values, just that I have a very hard time finding out what they are, until I actually encounter them,

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm. IMO inconclusive (I could be wrong but still).

Okay, maybe this. You wrote:

That doesn't mean that I don't have any values, just that I have a very hard time finding out what they are, until I actually encounter them

Question: Could you describe one or more situations where you did encounter your values? How did it happen? What was your response? etc

Gabsto

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's when I get presented with dilemmas. For instance when I got an ethics assignment some years ago in school about abortion.
There was some kind of dilemma whether a woman should have right to abortion or not under some circmstances presented in the assignment.
My emotional response was that I felt abortion is wrong, but at the same time I reasoned that the woman still should be allowed to decide for herself whether she wants a baby or not etc.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, I must admit I have a hard time really defining what a "value" really is in my head.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Well, it's when I get presented with dilemmas. For instance when I got an ethics assignment some years ago in school about abortion.
There was some kind of dilemma whether a woman should have right to abortion or not under some circmstances presented in the assignment.
My emotional response was that I felt abortion is wrong, but at the same time I reasoned that the woman still should be allowed to decide for herself whether she wants a baby or not etc.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, I must admit I have a hard time really defining what a "value" really is in my head.

I think I'm doing it wrong anyway (how I'm asking the questions etc). From my own experience with my INFP partner and also stuff I've read, INFPs, as Fi-doms, have a set of individually-based values at the core of their dominant function. Again from experience and stuff I've read, INFPs can be pretty easygoing about values (and other stuff) except when one of the values at their core is challenged or threatened, then all hell can break loose.

Thing is, I'm coming from the outside. I don't know if INFPs themselves would naturally be thinking about individual values in a self-conscious way because dominant function activity can be so natural as to be unremarkable (like water to a fish). My INFP was able to recognize the individual values thing when I brought it up, and she knew she could get really stubborn under certain circumstances, but I don't remember if she would have said she had a set of core individual values (like using those words) before we started discussing some things in MBTI/cognitive function language.

So far, if I am asking the right questions, you really don't sound to me like a Fi-dom. But I could for sure be asking the questions wrong and/or asking the wrong questions entirely.

Gabsto

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by "individual values"?

Also, I've been thinking about my values and times that they got challenged, and some of those values I just wouldn't budge, no matter how logical things I heard countering it was. So I guess I do have some "core-values".

Could this mean I'm an INFP after all?

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Was the stubbornness of those values the result of personal confidence or emotional discomfort? Sometimes an INTP can seem like an INFP when their inferior Fe leads them to childish displays of F type behavior such as bouts of extreme generosity and emotional responses to logical circumstances. This is normal for an INTP. I don't know much about INFP and the concept of Fi is still lost on me, but you do display a significant amount of situational logic (that which only makes sense in a certain context) that is indicative of TI. The dubiousness of your values as they pertain only to certain circumstances shows strong signs of this.

Also, I can strongly relate to the indecision and the backup friend thing.

As far as I can tell (and that's not much, at times I think I profess more knowledge than I actually have on certain topics), if you are specifically doubting your logicality, you are probably an INTP. If you are specifically doubting your wordthatcharacterizesintrovertedfeeling-ity, you are probably an INFP.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
What do you mean by "individual values"?

Values you choose and hold as an individual. Contrasted with collective values (values chosen and held collectively between multiple people/groups/cultures etc), which is what extroverted feeling (Fe) is about.

Also, I've been thinking about my values and times that they got challenged, and some of those values I just wouldn't budge, no matter how logical things I heard countering it was. So I guess I do have some "core-values".

Could this mean I'm an INFP after all?

It could, but I don't know. Where did those values come from? Do you know?

Also: have you already looked into the cognitive functions related to MBTI type?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What your describing sounds more Fi to me. Fi-doms are guided by principles, not rules, and they often have a hard time defining or explaining their values, however, they know them when they are confronted by a situation. Fi is very situational and in the moment. They go with the flow most times, adjusting on the fly, but when they dig their heels in, that's it. They can be bafflingly rigid. Once I've made my mind up, my resistance to emotional pleas can be downright chilling to others.

Fe is more like rules and etiquette. Fe deals with externally manifested values, so it's easier to explain, IMO. By contradicting their values, you're basically fraying the very fabric of society! Fe-doms seem rigid, because they leave less wiggle room for the situation/individual, but they're definitely more flexible than you'd think. I think they just need a little time. My mom is a Fe-dom with a heavy J (she actually is, I swear I'm not reducing her to her role), and she usually comes around if you appeal to her values from the right angle.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
What your describing sounds more Fi to me. Fi-doms are guided by principles, not rules, and they often have a hard time defining or explaining their values, however, they know them when they are confronted by a situation. Fi is very situational and in the moment. They go with the flow most times, adjusting on the fly, but when they dig their heels in, that's it. They can be bafflingly rigid. Once I've made my mind up, my resistance to emotional pleas can be downright chilling to others.

^ ^ This right here (bolded/underlined) is exactly the kind of perspective on the internal reality of Fi that I felt like I was missing in my questions etc. So glad to see it.