0 0%
First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

INTP gang bang and one of the reasons I had such a negative view of the INTP. First impressions. The INTJ remain my favorite type. They just don't seem the need to continuously prove how great they are.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    INTP gang bang and one of the reasons I had such a negative view of the INTP. First impressions. The INTJ remain my favorite type. They just don't seem the need to continuously prove how great they are.
    Why do you take someone disagreeing with you as a personal affront, and in response go straight for the ad hominem? You've done it a number of times through this thread. Perhaps you should take a few minutes to explain what you actually want to achieve here?

For example, why put it up for open vote, and then disregard the ability of anyone who disagrees with you as either not liking you/unable to type people/not knowing you well enough or just plain wrong. Is this not a waste of everyone's time?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wouldn't say a "criticism," it's probably just frustrating to feel like a few people only see part of you and for whatever reason can't see the rest.

Hmmm.
    1. Are there types who aren't really offended if they feel mistyped (versus others more prone to be annoyed), or is it truly just a personal reaction?
    2. If someone else you know whom you think is an ESFJ was posting this thread... would it have looked different at all than Jen's responses?
    Oh, didn't see this one before.

1. I suspect most people are... hmm... personally challenged. It's targetting everything they feel they "are" if they have identified strongly with a type. If, like me, you don't know what the hell type you are, it's entertaining.

2. I know a handful of ESFJs, and they would respond much like this. A big focus on where they, as a result, sit socially as a result of posts. They would want to know who is "for them", "against them".. who is in their club of agreeing with the original idea. They would also twist and turn it into something else when they felt uncomfortable. I see this a lot with a good friend of mine who is ESFJ. If I raise some weird conceptual idea they will dismiss the idea and instead try to analyse me or how I fit in relation to others. Jen does this quite a bit on this thread.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Let's try a more positive approach. For those of you who think I am responding poorly please provide examples of how you think I should be responding instead of asking me the same question over and over.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Oh, didn't see this one before.

1. I suspect most people are... hmm... personally challenged. It's targetting everything they feel they "are" if they have identified strongly with a type. If, like me, you don't know what the hell type you are, it's entertaining.

2. I know a handful of ESFJs, and they would respond much like this. A big focus on where they, as a result, sit socially as a result of posts. They would want to know who is "for them", "against them".. who is in their club of agreeing with the original idea. They would also twist and turn it into something else when they felt uncomfortable. I see this a lot with a good friend of mine who is ESFJ. If I raise some weird conceptual idea they will dismiss the idea and instead try to analyse me or how I fit in relation to others. Jen does this quite a bit on this thread.
    Geoff, how do you think an ENFJ or INFJ would handle it as a point of comparison? What you just described seemed like a general FJ thing, but I'm not sure.

I do find the way this thread has developed to be very interesting!

MBTI
    INFP

Respond to the content, not the character of the individual posting.

For example, if I say, "You seem more oriented to the external world rather than your inner world"

Respond with explanation as to how you are oriented to your inner world rather than "Well, you don't know me." or "I like you, I don't know why you're being like this."

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Why?

This thread, broken down:

Jen: Discuss A.

Us: *discussing A*

Jen: I said the topic was discussing A, but really it's about discussing B.

Us: Huh?

Jen: And if you didn't get that, you suck and aren't playful.

Us: Oh.

That is why the people in this thread are kinda confused, Jen.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I like to let things go haywire and bring them to order. I'll be back later.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    All right, I do see this and can understand where you have come from and why you got there.

To me, though, this is all Fe being twisted around. Many different types use Fe. The four main ones of course are ENFJ, INFJ, ESFJ, and ISFJ. So is this primary Fe that is being screwed up by a poor secondary; or is it secondary Fe being screwed up by a poor Pi primary?

Another thing I do not think y'all are getting is that Jen might look like she's doing what you're saying -- because that's what it looks like on the surface -- but mostly she's just bored and jerking your chain around.

What I have found with ESFJs is that often when using Fe badly, they're NOT aware of it... or they're a mess and inside and recognize that much but have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Because they're stuck in their frame of reference.

It seems very obvious to me that Jen is quite aware of what you're saying and what your Fe analysis is, she was aware of it from the start (she was pretty bluntly honest about that when Edahn called her on a number of things, "you're goddamned right this is all about me"), and she's not locked inside her own paradigm. She's mostly playing the game because she feels like it.

This is far more typical of INFJ, and she easily seems to step outside of her frame of reference and has no problem with doing that. Fe is merely the clothes that she wears to go out, not the flesh under the clothes, just like an INxP can wear Ne to socialize in and still be an introvert.

In any case, she's definitely not ISFJ. (I am intimately acquainted with a range of them and she wouldn't mesh; they'd see her as a little quirky because she's not nearly as anchored, 100% practical, and rooted in the tangible world as they are.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    That is why the people in this thread are kinda confused, Jen.
    Actually, I've been at the receiving end of this before (the team up by you and Edahn and maybe Geoff, in my blog), and so I don't think it's all just her. It just took me a bit of time to catch on, because originally I assumed it was all me too... until I thought about it.

It's the sort of approach you guys are taking that is adding to the confusion; I think there's also some personality dynamic where her style personally rubs you the wrong way, and you're not seeing past it.

Communication is a two-way street. Perhaps the way you are analyzing what's occurring in the thread and attributing particular motivations to her behavior is not reflective of the total reality.

As to how to build a bridge instead of dissecting the other party, well, that's up to you to figure out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Geoff, how do you think an ENFJ or INFJ would handle it as a point of comparison? What you just described seemed like a general FJ thing, but I'm not sure.

I do find the way this thread has developed to be very interesting!
    Number 1 I don't think it would be any different.. most types would find it hard to have their type challenged. Of course, each type reacts differently under stress.

As for the reaction exhibited.. the ESFJ is most concerned with social structure out of the three listed, so a response around who agreed, who disagreed, whether that gives a who-likes-who and who is for who reaction is most likely.

An INFJ would more likely attack this.. hmm.. conceptually - try and argue why they disagree with the typing, or instead just do a screw you, I am what I am approach. In reality I don't think many of them would be in a thread like this looking for the answer, because it is something they are likely to explore for themselves. The one INFJ I know really well (Eileen) is, I would say, much more likely to do this (the self involved reflection response). I doubt the social impact would be of great importance.

A healthy happy ENFJ would likely be more confident in their type, having more fun in people questioning it, and less likely to dismiss ad hominem opinions that clash. The social status would be a factor still, but less...ordered and comparative. From what I've seen, ENFJ can be over sensitive to personal criticism/comments when unhealthy, so an ENFJ may just also explode in a shower of abuse.