User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default INFP vs. ISFP(Ne vs Se).

    Well, I'd like to start this thread off by restating elaborating on the title, as of late, or better said, for quite a some time now I have been having difficulty deciding between INFP and ISFP in regards to my type, in reality, I feel the best way to describe me would be a mishmash of the two; that is to say, I feel like I am both and neither simultaneously.

    In regards to that (from what I understand of them)I also feel like I use both Se and Ne on an a nearly, if not, completely equal level, even though I am fully aware of the fact that, that sort of thing clearly does not fit into the framework of Myers-Briggs.

    In regards to stereotypes(yes I know,these are never a good thing to get into, but how could I resist?This is as system founded almost completely on stereotypes, after all.), I do enjoy drawing/sketching, playing musical instruments, and very much enjoy writing(although, I was never in honors or formally taught "how to write" per se, due to laziness and incessant ditching in my younger years.).However, I will say, that I do not relate to the "gentle" stereotype both types seems to carry.

    Although most of my book ideas tend to stay within the confines of my head, where I twist and shape them, rendering them almost unrecognizable before tossing them aside due to being not perfect enough.The furthest I've ever gotten in regards to bringing my ideas to life, so to speak, on the page, has been writing a few pages of the introduction before again tossing them because they where not good enough. I know where I want to go in the grand scale of things, I know where I want to take the plot, what I want it to say, but it's the journey of having to link all the little parts together where I falter most tangibly, I have no patience for the random tidbits unimportant to the main plot line.

    Anyway, back to the main idea, my younger sister is an INFP 9w1, and I feel like I am much more assertive, pessimistic/realistic, and overall life-hardened in comparison.
    While my mother, is an ISFP 6w7, and in comparison to her I feel more secure/steady, more sensitive, more inclined towards artistic pursuits, less paranoid, slightly less aggressive, more fanciful/romantic, and more dramatic.

    So to finish this admittedly long winded question off, based off what I have shared here(or from my other threads if you so desire), what would you say my type is?

    I am very much appreciative of anyone who took the time to actually read the gargantuan piece of shit above, as well as anyone who can offer some insight.

  2. #2
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    How do you relate to Ni in comparison to Ne?

  3. #3
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    How do you relate to Ni in comparison to Ne?
    I don't think I have a very good grasp on Ni, patterns tend to slip past me pretty easily, Ne is a lot more of a familiar process in comparison.
    I can usually come up with several solutions to a problem, I think it most tangibly manifests itself in my test taking abilities, as I am usually a very good guesser because I tend to take on problems at several angles.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    My gut reaction after reading your post was ISFP...but I'm probably wrong.

    I'll ask a question similar to what @Stansmith asked:

    How do you relate to Si; how do you relate to Se?

    Also, which can you pinpoint more in your psychological makeup, behavior, and life experience?

    I think determining one's tertiary and auxiliary is often the key to unlocking their type.

  5. #5
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    My gut reaction after reading your post was ISFP...but I'm probably wrong.

    I'll ask a question similar to what @Stansmith asked:

    How do you relate to Si; how do you relate to Se?

    Also, which can you pinpoint more in your psychological makeup, behavior, and life experience?

    I think determining one's tertiary and auxiliary is often the key to unlocking their type.
    Well, I can't say, from what I know of Si, that I relate to it all, I'm not sentimental nor do I care about what happened yesterday,and I care very little for tradition.

    Se is much more relatable than Si, I am a pretty impulsive person overall, my knee-jerk reaction always tends to be to act, I am very much into instant gratification and am very impatient as well as often reckless.
    Although, I don't relate to all that crap about sports that seems to be related to it at all.

    I think Se has been more influential in my life.

    Out of curiosity, what about my post made you think ISFP?

  6. #6
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    You're pretty young, yes? So you may not be able to relate to Si that much.

    How do you become when very stressed?

  7. #7
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    You're pretty young, yes? So you may not be able to relate to Si that much.

    How do you become when very stressed?
    Correct.(How'd you know?)
    That would make sense.

    I become very drill sergeant-like so to speak, I tend to get uncharacteristically serious and bossy as well as lash out.

  8. #8
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    ISFP sounds more likely; sx-first is rarely gentle.

    The point about Si and age is interesting. I know a few Si-dom/aux on the forum have pointed out that Si is one of the most curious functions in terms of what input leads to what output - the "mechanism" of how it works remains steady, but input heavily determines output because Si is experience-aggregating... someone with strong Si would tend to be more influenced by a past outcome than others. Still, theoretically at least, Si should present itself even in the youngest as a tendency towards experiential learning, gathering data through trial and error, utilizing that gathered data, storage of concrete data points (what, where, when), and an affinity for comfort and regularity. It would be static and past-present referential in comparison to Se being dynamic and present-anchored experimental.

    That stress-behavior is so characteristically FP to shadow TJ, I relate

  9. #9
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ISFP sounds more likely; sx-first is rarely gentle.

    The point about Si and age is interesting. I know a few Si-dom/aux on the forum have pointed out that Si is one of the most curious functions in terms of what input leads to what output - the "mechanism" of how it works remains steady, but input heavily determines output because Si is experience-aggregating... someone with strong Si would tend to be more influenced by a past outcome than others. Still, theoretically at least, Si should present itself even in the youngest as a tendency towards experiential learning, gathering data through trial and error, utilizing that gathered data, storage of concrete data points (what, where, when), and an affinity for comfort and regularity. It would be static and past-present referential in comparison to Se being dynamic and present-anchored experimental.

    That stress-behavior is so characteristically FP to shadow TJ, I relate
    That explains that.

    Hmm yes when you put it that way I can see some Si within myself though not on the same magnitude as Se.

    Yeah I think I do turn into an ExTJ in a way, for a bit when I'm stressed.

  10. #10
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsunderes View Post
    That explains that.

    Hmm yes when you put it that way I can see some Si within myself though not on the same magnitude as Se.

    Yeah I think I do turn into an ExTJ in a way, for a bit when I'm stressed.
    Lol, yeah, exactly. I turn into STJ for sure.

    If you are in fact S, at least in my opinion it makes sense for you to feel some relation to both Si and Se, though of course one will be stronger. There is a lot of commonality between the two... the most substantial being operating more in the tangible world, using tangible data to navigate. Being an FP would make it a little less concrete, since F is a bit "floaty", but both Si and Se are influenced by tangible environment and influence tangible environment.

Similar Threads

  1. Ne vs Se
    By five sounds in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 12:00 AM
  2. Si vs Se / Ni vs Ne
    By Ribonuke in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  3. Ne/Si vs Se/Ni
    By WALMART in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
  4. INFP vs ISFP, who is more powerful?
    By Riva in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM
  5. Explanation for SJs dislike of change [Si vs Ne/Ni/Se]
    By Snow Turtle in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO