• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Determining my MBTI type (contains video).

á´…eparted

passages
Hi.

So, I have been here long enough that I think people have gotten somewhat of a perspective on what I am like. It's not ideal but good enough to start with. After having an interaction with [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], I thought now is as good as ever.

Simply put, while I label myself as INTJ, this might not be correct. I considered myself to be INFJ for about 9 years, and several months ago realized that is very likely wrong. Some reflection and discussion elsewhere (reddit) lead others to suggest INTJ. I stewed with it, went with it here as it fit, and said to stay with it until given a reason to question it. I have since received that.

When I take MBTI tests, I get 3 common results: ENTJ, ESTJ, and INTJ. Slightly less frequently, ISTJ and INFJ. There's enough variability that I can't use it. Cognitive function results can run the gambit as well. The main consistency with that is either a Pi function is top, with Te second, or Te is top, with a Pi second. Both are often very close. Ne and Se are dead last.

Anyway, I thought making a video would actually be better suited for this. You can actually "see" me which gives a better vibe. I think this is a fairly good capture of me in a neutral mood (more or less) and when I have sufficent energy (when I am lacking it throws things off). I will warn you now: I talk fast (I'm quite verbose and chatty, always have been). I will let that do most of the talking and safe the wall of text for later till people ask, or it becomes needed for clarification purposes.

If there is any questions, comments, concerns you want to make please make them known. I will do my best to answer. Though I usually am not on here until the evenings since I work a lot during the day.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like ENTJ for you.

á´…eparted

passages
i like ENTJ for you.

Maybe this is just stereotypes, but I have some major aspects of myself that seem quite anti-entj like. The biggest ones is that i am quite moody. While i do my best to mask and hide it from others, it still does leak out for others to see. I am not spooked by emotions either (well, mostly). If someone is really upset, crying, angry, etc. I either feel little, or annoyed. In those cases I will simply ignore it, leave, or deal if I have to. If it is someone i truly care about I won't leave their side for quite a while.

Idk, it fits. In some ways I just don't... feel like I'm good enough to be ENTJ?

S

Stansmith

Maybe this is just stereotypes, but I have some major aspects of myself that seem quite anti-entj like. The biggest ones is that i am quite moody. While i do my best to mask and hide it from others, it still does leak out for others to see. I am not spooked by emotions either (well, mostly). If someone is really upset, crying, angry, etc. I either feel little, or annoyed. In those cases I will simply ignore it, leave, or deal if I have to. If it is someone i truly care about I won't leave their side for quite a while.

Idk, it fits. In some ways I just don't... feel like I'm good enough to be ENTJ?

I think it's typical for people to have that sort of relationship with their inferior function. Moodiness doesn't necessarily imply developed feeling.

Alea_iacta_est

My opinion from the video: ENFJ (or possible ENTJ)

Je (most likely Fe) - Pi (most likely Ni) - Pe (Most likely Se) - Ji (Most likely Ti)

Your mannerism in the video is fairly warm, friendly, and you sort of abide by social niceties (assuming that you didn't pick up phrases from others like the one mentioned as "For lack of a better word here, bullshit", the follow-up is more Fe oriented in conveying the weight of the information than Fi, which would be a bit more directive and uncaring in the use of inappropriate language).

Your absolute necessity for order may stem from Je residing in the dominant slot, and recall that extroversion/introversion simply indicates your preference for dealing with life. Oftentimes, it is possible for somewhat introverted ENFJs (though, ExTJ is more organization oriented) to still be extroverted due to the fact that they feel the need to always add structure to the environment.

I say that Fe > Te primarily in the way you speak, usually Te types are more direct and to the point with information (and outdo Fi in terms of neglecting social courtesy), whereas you tend to be more expressive and possess much more inflection in your voice (a good amount of Te types are suspect to monotone, not caring about the delivery of the information but the information itself). The Hot-Cold mentality might spring from Fe Hero and Fi Opposing Personality Complex (I'm going to start calling that the anti-hero, it's too damn long to type), when you go to attack others when stressed, you might be more inclined to completely ignore social courtesies in favor of becoming stubborn about personal values ((s)he hurt me; therefore, that person went against what I believe is right or wrong, and thus I will deny him or her social graces in favor of retribution for crossing my values (also note that this is a hypothesis, I don't know how this might actually play out entirely)).

Just my personal analysis though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like ENTJ for you.

Agreed.

Extraverted because he describes himself as uncomfortable being inside his head for too long (whereas introverts are uncomfortable getting outside of their heads for too long).

Intuition versus Sensing isn't made obvious in this video. However, if he describes himself as wannabe-Sensor, then I'll take his word for it.

Thinking is a strong trait in this video based on statements concerning wanting to get control of his environment.

Judging is so obvious as to be unworthy of explanation.

á´…eparted

passages
I think it's typical for people to have that sort of relationship with their inferior function. Moodiness doesn't necessarily imply developed feeling.

That's true, and a very good point. I was raised to be in touch with my feelings very heavily, and I picked up on how to do it. I have very keen self-awareness. However, I sometimes get a bit confused over exactly what I feel. If the emotion is complex, I get it and can manage it fine. Simple? I have a hard time. If I am just sad, and there is no reason, I don't know what to do and it just gets worse and worse until it eventually just fades, I swallow it, or external circumstances resolve it for me.

My opinion from the video: ENFJ (or possible ENTJ)

Je (most likely Fe) - Pi (most likely Ni) - Pe (Most likely Se) - Ji (Most likely Ti)

Your mannerism in the video is fairly warm, friendly, and you sort of abide by social niceties (assuming that you didn't pick up phrases from others like the one mentioned as "For lack of a better word here, bullshit", the follow-up is more Fe oriented in conveying the weight of the information than Fi, which would be a bit more directive and uncaring in the use of inappropriate language).

Your absolute necessity for order may stem from Je residing in the dominant slot, and recall that extroversion/introversion simply indicates your preference for dealing with life. Oftentimes, it is possible for somewhat introverted ENFJs (though, ExTJ is more organization oriented) to still be extroverted due to the fact that they feel the need to always add structure to the environment.

I say that Fe > Te primarily in the way you speak, usually Te types are more direct and to the point with information (and outdo Fi in terms of neglecting social courtesy), whereas you tend to be more expressive and possess much more inflection in your voice (a good amount of Te types are suspect to monotone, not caring about the delivery of the information but the information itself). The Hot-Cold mentality might spring from Fe Hero and Fi Opposing Personality Complex (I'm going to start calling that the anti-hero, it's too damn long to type), when you go to attack others when stressed, you might be more inclined to completely ignore social courtesies in favor of becoming stubborn about personal values ((s)he hurt me; therefore, that person went against what I believe is right or wrong, and thus I will deny him or her social graces in favor of retribution for crossing my values (also note that this is a hypothesis, I don't know how this might actually play out entirely)).

Just my personal analysis though.

Yeah I am leaning more and more strongly to extrovert. I think I have always seen myself as introverted because of long term depression issues since my late teens, and from having low self-esteem from early teens until a few years ago. That has definitely colored myself to appear more introvered than I actually am. Not just in the classical meaning of the word,

I have always been friendly. As a child (as soon as I could talk in full sentences) I would talk to anyone. My parents dreaded taking me to the store at times because of how socially inclined I was. I would be watching the world go by, and if someone went by that caught my interest for whatever reason, it would go something like this "Hi! My name's Pieter! What's yours? That's a pretty shirt, where did you buy it? Why are you here? Where do you work? What is your favorite thing on the shelf?" ad nasueum. I knew no bounds. I just wanted to get to know people. It was fun to learn what went on inside of another person, and I liked receiving warmth from them if they liked me. In a way, I am still like this. In the right circumstances, I am very chatty with complete strangers. I am very choosy who I share warmth with though. I put a lot of emphasis on vocal tone, because I want people to understand me. It actually strikes me as illogical not to have very varied cadence in my voice. If impart a lot of it, it's very clear on what I mean. It's very easy to read between the lines. I want things to be crystal clear. I also want to be sure that what I feel is coming across clearly (and if there is an absence of feeling, I want that to show too).

When stressed I do have to restrain myself from being nasty (though it depends on my energy level more than anything). I am fair with people 99% of the time. The only time I forgo what is "socially correct" is when someone has slighted me in a bad way. In those cases, I get nasty, I don't care, I do not stop, and they will be punished. It has to be internally justifed for me to do it. i.e. ends must justify the means. That said though, I mostly keep this within social bounds. In fact, I will use that against them (i.e. bend the system to my advantage).

EDIT: I should clarify, I don't care so much if someone tries to personally insult me. That usually is meaningless to me and doesn't phase me. What I have more issue with, is someone I determine to be "a problem" and context determines what a problem is. Usually it's someone causing disorder or dissaray (often for the sake of with malintent). That's what sets me off. Or someone that is just so profoundly stupid and willfully ignorant despite being corrected again and again.

At the end of the day, I think I identify with Te more than Fe (but I do identify strongly with Je in general the most). I just don't really appear like a typical Te. That said, my father is an ESTJ and he is rather expressive in a similar manner that I am (lots of voice varience), but not to the extend that I am. If I am Fe then, it must be that I am just more "calculated" with it?

Agreed.

Extraverted because he describes himself as uncomfortable being inside his head for too long (whereas introverts are uncomfortable getting outside of their heads for too long).

Intuition versus Sensing isn't made obvious in this video. However, if he describes himself as wannabe-Sensor, then I'll take his word for it.

Thinking is a strong trait in this video based on statements concerning wanting to get control of his environment.

Judging is so obvious as to be unworthy of explanation.

It's not so much that I am uncomfortable being in my head for too long, it's that it causes me a lot of problems if I remain there for too long. Yet I find myself ignoring that, but it's such a old old habit that in a way I am used to it.

Last edited:

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

That does not mean he's a thinking type. Enfjs have a reputation of being feisty/controlling. On the personality page or whatever its called description of enfj, im pretty sure it even says that enfjs like to be alone, but then they start to have dark thoughts if alone too long or something like that. Check for yourself, its been a while for me.

Definitely think enfj imho.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Whatever this is worth, I still dislike typing by video but you seemed to ooze a specific kind of warmth :eek:

(And when I once made a video to see what it was like, I also did, lol.)

That's true, and a very good point. I was raised to be in touch with my feelings very heavily, and I picked up on how to do it. I have very keen self-awareness. However, I sometimes get a bit confused over exactly what I feel. If the emotion is complex, I get it and can manage it fine. Simple? I have a hard time. If I am just sad, and there is no reason, I don't know what to do and it just gets worse and worse until it eventually just fades, I swallow it, or external circumstances resolve it for me.

Haha your writing style never ever made me think you would be F but this is really F-ish :p

I have always been friendly. As a child (as soon as I could talk in full sentences) I would talk to anyone. My parents dreaded taking me to the store at times because of how socially inclined I was. I would be watching the world go by, and if someone went by that caught my interest for whatever reason, it would go something like this "Hi! My name's Pieter! What's yours? That's a pretty shirt, where did you buy it? Why are you here? Where do you work? What is your favorite thing on the shelf?" ad nasueum. I knew no bounds. I just wanted to get to know people. It was fun to learn what went on inside of another person, and I liked receiving warmth from them if they liked me. In a way, I am still like this. In the right circumstances, I am very chatty with complete strangers. I am very choosy who I share warmth with though. I put a lot of emphasis on vocal tone, because I want people to understand me. It actually strikes me as illogical not to have very varied cadence in my voice. If impart a lot of it, it's very clear on what I mean. It's very easy to read between the lines. I want things to be crystal clear. I also want to be sure that what I feel is coming across clearly (and if there is an absence of feeling, I want that to show too).

Not a typical INTJ whatsoever. Whatever that means ;p

What I have more issue with, is someone I determine to be "a problem" and context determines what a problem is. Usually it's someone causing disorder or dissaray (often for the sake of with malintent). That's what sets me off. Or someone that is just so profoundly stupid and willfully ignorant despite being corrected again and again.

What kind of corrections are those?

At the end of the day, I think I identify with Te more than Fe

Why?

It's not so much that I am uncomfortable being in my head for too long, it's that it causes me a lot of problems if I remain there for too long. Yet I find myself ignoring that, but it's such a old old habit that in a way I am used to it.

That's almost the exact same for me. (Though I would say I do get uncomfortable in terms of feeling a bit drained & I snap out of head easily and automatically if something comes up in the environment)

What kind of problems does it cause for you?

á´…eparted

passages
Whatever this is worth, I still dislike typing by video but you seemed to ooze a specific kind of warmth :eek:

(And when I once made a video to see what it was like, I also did, lol.)

Yeah the definite distinction is "specific". It's my speech pattern. I have never been big on just being overall warm to people like some are known for (regardless of type).

Haha your writing style never ever made me think you would be F but this is really F-ish :p

I suppose it depends on the topic at hand. On some things I suspect it would go either way. I try to stick to being objective and formal in writing (unless I am explicitly screwing around), but on everything it's impossible to do. Sometimes, I don't want to do it either. Few are ever very pure towards each end.

Not a typical INTJ whatsoever. Whatever that means ;p

No not at all, and certainly not introverted wither. I think there is definitely something to be said about how one is as a child. We all grow and change, but for some we will always resonate with who we once were. Who I was then (in some aspects) are still definite parts of myself, and it resonates. That innate, social nature is still a part of me. After writing that, and reflecting over the past two days, I really have come to see that I actually am an extrovert (at least in terms of MBTI). It simply fits better. The idea that Je is my dominant functions fits, way, way better than Pi. I honestly hadn't considered it much because I never had before. Nevertheless it makes way more sense. My lowest functions make that idea seem a bit out of whack, but that is the next thing to address once I resolve what type I am.

What kind of corrections are those?

Presenting a fact. Something that is solid, concrete, and known. Irrefutable. Basically saying someone is wrong, and showing exactly how that is in no uncertain terms.

I'm still reflecting, and am not as sure as I was last night. I don't have that innate drive to protect and serve like most Fe is presented to be. I am far too selective, particular, and choosy to where I put my energy. I am not going to waste my time on something that won't make progress. If I try to help someone, and the reject it, can't keep up with what is expected or agreed upon, I stop.

At the same token I am not that particular at efficiency. Sometimes the things I do in the way I do them aren't efficient. They simply work because I know them well, it makes me feel good. I try to be impersonal in all matters, but I make a concerted effort to do so in a number of cases. The more of a rapport I have with someone, the harder time I have being that way. Additionally, socially I am extremely tactful, and I care quite a great deal about the delivery of information for a lot of reasons. Most of which are for my own comfort, and the comfort of others, not just for the sake of being efficient (though to me it seems to be that way).

That's almost the exact same for me. (Though I would say I do get uncomfortable in terms of feeling a bit drained & I snap out of head easily and automatically if something comes up in the environment)

What kind of problems does it cause for you?

Ah, it's not as easy for me. Even if I do appear to snap out of it, it takes time for me to feel it. It simply causes me to become depressed, worry over issues present in my life and of things that could go wrong because I haven't done something. A lot of "what if?" creeps in, and overall I just start to feel anxious and shitty for no reason. Definitely if I can't find something to distract myself with.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]

The way that male enfjs act doesn't always seem like what you'd expect someone who is Fe dominant.
Not like the ditzy esfj.

I had a good friend who is an enfj who i never thought of as a feeler for a second because of the "intellectual" vibe he gave off. He later took the test and I learned more about mbti, then it matched up.

He was stubborn, controlling, loved to take part in convos that were considered intellectually stimulating, and of course is a very intelligient guy (by my standards at least). Additionally, he was always very friendly and pleasant to be around.

With him, the F really showed itself through his extreme moodiness and his interactions with people.

I'll stop before I start to ramble, just trying to make the point that enfjs really don't seem like feelers in one way, but in another way are clearly F doms.

Decisive, controlling, friendly, and curious are all characteristics of the enfjs that I know in real life.

Hoping this helps. I could be totally off about you, but you really seem enfj to me.

Cygnus

*rolls eyes*. It sounds like a lot of conspisy theory mindset ideas without actually overtly stating them.

Though I do agree, it's a dark world. My plan is (and has been), if society starts to crumble, and shit hits the fan, I'll just go into lab, synthesize 10 grams of barbital, off myself and that will be that.

Society is just a system that we have to live under because that is how the world is structured. It's either adapt, or perish. Everyone has their methods of doing so, and some are better than others. It's not worth it to me to live in fear that everything is being puppeteared and controlled, and it largely doesn't make sense that it would happen.

I've made peace with the way the world is. I'm sticking around until it looks like it's all gonna unravel.

You're a bit showy with your love of chemistry. INTJ's don't generally feel the need to brag about their interests. They'll spill their guts about their professions and pastimes only if you ask them.

ENFJ's love showing off.

á´…eparted

passages

The way that male enfjs act doesn't seem like what you'd expect someone who is Fe dominant to be at all.
Not like the ditzy esfj.

I had a good friend who is an enfj who i never thought of as a feeler for a second because of the "intellectual" vibe he gave off. He later took the test, and I learned more about mbti and it all matched up.

He was very stubborn, controlling, loved to take part in convos that were considered to be intellectually stimulating, and of course is a very intelligient guy by my standards. Additionally, he was always very friendly and pleasant to be around.

With him, the F really showed itself through his extreme moodiness and his interactions with people.

I'll stop before I start to ramble, just trying to make the point that enfjs really don't seem like feelers in one way, but in another way are clearly F doms.

Decisive, controlling, friendly, and curious are all characteristics of the enfjs that I know in real life.

Hoping this helps. I could be totally off about you, but you really seem enfj to me.

You are on point, and I do understand this. That said, I am going off the sort of "stereotypical" understanding of Fe. Mostly that I don't seem to have many of the classical drives that most Fe doms have. I seem to have more drives that Te doms have.

The main parts that makes me lean away from Fe, is I consider myself to be a highly logical person, and too cold to be Fe dom. Yet, I am too warm to be Te. One thing that is making me lean to Fe a bit more is my desire for connection with others, and to feel levels of understanding. It means a lot to me. I wish I had a video of me teaching my students, I think that would be most illuminating because not only is it me explaining things so my thought patterns emerge, but I am also addressing a group. I am going to have to reflect on my style a bit more, but I think it might be a bit more Fe.

As a side note. Many years back when I was questioning my type, I noticed a curious pattern. Most of the F types saw me as a T, and most of the T types saw me as an F. Seeing this show up again kinds makes me laugh :alltongue:.

Cygnus

Hmm... most of my childhood involved me looking, talking, and acting like dennis the menace. I'm currently trying to figure out my type (it's stuck between ENFJ or ENTJ). Either way:

Me:

- Designing rather elaborate ways to play tag around town with kids in my neighborhood.

- Designing games to play with friends/people. So many games.

- Playing school with friends and always being the principal.

- Always wanting to be the leader.

- Bursting into tears if I lost at anything (mostly preschool/kindergarten)

And your profile picture fits the hobbies of ENFJs pretty well.

á´…eparted

passages
You're a bit showy with your love of chemistry. INTJ's don't generally feel the need to brag about their interests. They'll spill their guts about their professions and pastimes only if you ask them.

ENFJ's love showing off.

Yep. I love to share the things that I love and care about. It's fun. I definitely have no qualms about spilling my guts. I have some parts of myself I keep locked up for many reasons. Yet, I am by and large very self-disclosing and candid. A lot of the questions this guy poses I chuckled at because I did relate to in some regard. He is joking around but one particular thing that he mentioned was the theatrics.

When I tell stories, I am very animated. I put on a show, I emphasize things for effect and to convey things as I see fit. I have had some people in the past tell me "why is everything with you so dramatic?" I don't see it that way, but it's been proposed by several people.

My presence can often make a scene, but mostly only if I know the people I am around.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

Lol, yeah. If you look at famous/tv ENFJs (or at least those widely considered to be enfj), they seem pretty darn logical. Pretty sure it has something to do with Ni. I've always thought of it as "the smartest function"
....idk.

Tony Robbins is an ENFJ, so are Richard Branson and Oprah.
All seem really logical to me. I think the way that the F ties in is that they work extremely well with people.

á´…eparted

passages

Lol, yeah. If you look at famous/tv ENFJs (or at least those widely considered to be enfj), they seem pretty darn logical. Pretty sure it has something to do with Ni. I've always thought of it as "the smartest function"
....idk.

Tony Robbins is an ENFJ, so are Richard Branson and Oprah.
All seem really logical to me. I think the way that the F ties in is that they work extremely well with people.

A big thing that clinches it: My PhD advisor is an ENFJ, and it's commonly talked about in the department how similar we are. Our speech patter is identical almost, and from across the room sometimes people mistake me for him. It's kinda funny. We get along super well, and sometimes, he comes across as very Te, but ultimately isn't his dominant function. It sort of depends on the day. His Se is much stronger than mine though.

Most of the arguments given here towards ENFJ seem sound. I have yet to hear a good one towards ENTJ besides folks saying they think so.

Alea_iacta_est

A big thing that clinches it: My PhD advisor is an ENFJ, and it's commonly talked about in the department how similar we are. Our speech patter is identical almost, and from across the room sometimes people mistake me for him. It's kinda funny. We get along super well, and sometimes, he comes across as very Te, but ultimately isn't his dominant function. It sort of depends on the day. His Se is much stronger than mine though.

Most of the arguments given here towards ENFJ seem sound. I have yet to hear a good one towards ENTJ besides folks saying they think so.

Do you and said advisor feel as though you are on the same wavelength a lot? Like you both reach highly similar conclusions to problems and you usually understand his thinking pattern without any extra processing?

á´…eparted

passages
Do you and said advisor feel as though you are on the same wavelength a lot? Like you both reach highly similar conclusions to problems and you usually understand his thinking pattern without any extra processing?

Ha! Our mental processes are like carbon copies of each other. Same lines of thinking, same pitfalls, same style of "insights". Sometimes we need to reexplain things to each other, but ultimately we will get on the same page very very fast. He's worlds more emotionally stable than I am (he's got SO much energy), and I am much more proactive against "mistakes" than he is which can cause misunderstandings. Ultimately though we get each other quite well. He's also very political (but fair) with his job (also dept. chair) and is damn good at it, and I totally totally get how and why he does it, and would do the same.