• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really INTP type?

birdseye

MBTI Type
INTP
Every time I take the test and answer the questions as honestly as possible, I get INTP. But I don't feel like I can relate so much because of these points:

1. I don't enjoy math, although it says mathematician would be an ideal career.

2. I consider myself a logical thinker, but the subjects that require strict adherence to it bore me. I get more joy from creative and fantasy/imagination related stuff.

3. I have a lot of sympathy and empathy. And I am not really cold or cynical. I don't base my decisions based on emotions, but I am not disconnected from them either.

So I'm a little confused, halp.

Last edited:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like INTP could be right. Not liking linear thinking is something I can TOTALLY relate to as an Ne user.

Do some research into functions if you haven't and start posting around here so people can get a feel for you, and you'll figure it out.

Wecome to the forum! :)

Schadenfreude

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read from a reliable source that INTPs love to learn, yet many have claimed that school was a source of high stress.

I'm an INFP (preference of feeling moderate over thinking, so I don't know whether my opinions will carry any weight) and I personally despise math. There's always a predetermined set of answers. I'm more of an abstract thinker. That and I can't stop the thoughts of ninja pandas from overriding my mental mathematical equations. Thank goodness for calculators! :D

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

None of those things necessarily rule out INTP as your type.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3. I have a lot of sympathy and empathy. And I am not really cold or cynical. I don't base my decisions based on emotions, but I am not disconnected from them either.

T, with healthy emotionality

Antonio

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
We have a very similar personality. Look at my introduction thread, it seems I am an INTP as well...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. There's no rule that INTPs have to love math or be good at it. In my case, it turns out I was not too bad at math, it's just that I wasn't that interested in it to begin with, so I slacked off a lot in school, with the exception of geometry. Also, the way math is taught, particularly in K-12 education, seems to be in a manner that isn't well-suited for intuitive types, considering they make up roughly 15% of the general population.

2. There's plenty of INTP artists and musicians. In general, extraverted intuition can lend itself to very original and imaginative expression. Being bored by strict adherence to ANYTHING seems to be a fairly common complaint among INTPs. If you prefer a field in the arts, you should pursue it. Find out how your logical thought process gives you a unique edge or approach in creating art.

3. INTPs are just as subject to their emotions as anyone else, it's just that they don't always do a great job expressing them, or simply prefer to not express them openly. Nor do we like to feel governed by them. INTPs can also be very empathetic--if anyone disagrees, they might consider reading Einstein's Ideas and Opinions. It's not whether or not they are empathetic and sympathetic so much as how they approach and handle empathy/sympathy which defines them.

I used to mistype myself as INFP and INFJ, even though I would often test as INTP. I think this is partly due to the fact that I allowed myself to be misled by the stereotypes surrounding NTs in general and INTPs in particular. Keirsey is largely to blame for initially misleading me. Many of the profiles based on MBTI were just as misleading. It ultimately took communicating with people of the various types and gaining a better understanding of cognitive function theory to help me see the truth.

The overall abundance of ignorance in the online typology community certainly doesn't help either. I've seen people accused of being NT impostors in Facebook groups for having emotional outbursts or for merely discussing emotions. I thought for the longest time that such outbursts were uncharacteristic for INTP, so how could I be one? Again, deeper understanding of the function theory led me to learn that it is because of their inferior Fe that INTPs can experience these outbursts. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but developing a healthy understanding and usage of Fe can in fact help INTPs better control such outbursts.

I'd recommend this site: http://www.intpexperience.com/whereitcamefrom.php

It dispels a lot of the myths surrounding the INTP type and has useful advice on how to better get in touch with our emotions without letting them govern us.