User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: My Temperament?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default My Temperament?

Tests and "vibe" typings have gotten me nowhere -- I've been typed as everything but Supine. @Eric B provided me with a link in another thread to some more detailed/subdivided temperament descriptions, and based on those (and some other stuff I casually looked at online)...

Inclusion: Choleric would sound right -- I definitely have a "box" for my social interactions, and very specific functions that those interactions serve -- except that I wouldn't call myself cruel, abusive, or manipulative. At all. My flaws lie elsewhere.
    Control: Definitely, definitely Melancholic.
    Affection: Phlegmatic seemed the most accurate, re: flexibility and re: using detachment and humor as coping mechanisms, although it doesn't account for my people-pleasing streak. Not sure at all about this one though.

But what does that make me generally? One of these has to win out -- or at least, two of them, ranked. But which, and how do I tell?

Not sure what other details to put in here, but feel free to ask me as many questions as you need, to get a good picture.

@wolfy / @Chanaynay (following up on that other thread)
    @garbage
    @Jennifer maybe?
    @whoever else
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Thoughts? :/

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Colicky and phlegmy, but in your element supine.

Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Colicky and phlegmy, but in your element supine.

Could you elaborate a bit? Why did you choose those three, in that order?

Permission to speak candidly, sir...

I've said this before, but there's no way the ESFJ is Sanguine-Melancholic and the ESTP is Choleric-Sanguine. If you look at just their core temperaments, that would make ESFJ Sanguine and ESTP Choleric.
    It would also make sense to make ESTJ pure Choleric and ENTJ Choleric-Melancholic, if this makes any sense. ESTJ anger blows up in your face like a hair-trigger. I know Cholerics are supposed to "bottle up" their anger, but a Melancholic secondary type would bottle it up only more so, if this makes any sense.

I mean, look at the thing. SJ is Melancholic and NT is Choleric? I beg to differ. At least switch THOSE TWO. It's so obvious.

In fact, the SP-SJ-NF-NT dichotomy is completely arbitrary. SP-SJ each denote one cognitive function; NF-NT denote two and say nothing of their position.

If motivations are taken into account, it should be FP-FJ-TP-TJ.

If working style is taken into account, it's EP-EJ-IP-IJ.

If interaction style more or less, it's SF-ST-NF-NT for Sang, Chol, Phleg, and Mel respectively.

That would make ESTJ pure Choleric, which it most certainly is, and ENTJ Choleric-Melancholic.

ENFP and ENFJ are unchanged.

ISTJ is now Melancholic-Choleric, most likely of all types to die of heart attack. And INTJ is suitably Pure Melancholic.

ESFJ would be Choleric-Sanguine to contrast w/ ENFJ's Choleric-Phelgmatic. and ESTP is Sanguine Choleric, makes much more sense than Choleric-Sanguine if you look at their lifestyles.

thoughts?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@Nihilogen

If the relationship between MBTI and temperament was that clear, I wouldn't have made this thread. I see myself as far too subdued and controlled* to be pure Choleric or Choleric-Melancholy.

*Focused significantly more on controlling myself, than others -- contrary to every Choleric description I've ever read

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @Nihilogen

If the relationship between MBTI and temperament was that clear, I wouldn't have made this thread. I see myself as far too subdued and controlled* to be pure Choleric or Choleric-Melancholy.

*Focused significantly more on controlling myself, than others -- contrary to every Choleric description I've ever read
    Not to argue with the ESTJ, but if you notice a trait in yourself ("as a matter of fact, I am very controlled!") chances are you're unaware that the opposite of this trait is strong in you.

I did the same thing. "I can't be an ESFP! I'm not sucking the fun out of life!" Yeah, but that's the way I act. I'm laughing like a hyena in school. I'm the class clown. I love psychedelic videos, aka Se.

And the Melancholic is focused on mental, not rule-abiding like the SJs. The only reason NT was picked for Choleric was determination.
    And technically any type can be a leader in some field. Sanguines lead the people by rallying them together, Melancholics work quietly behind the scenes to plan and administer.

Also, oddly enough, the more modern descriptions of Cholerics actually says they're in control of their emotions, aka subdued. The "anger" is replaced by a "rudeness" or inadvertent forcefulness attributed to Te.

Your temperament... hm... I'd say sassy-sweet...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@Nihilogen

A lot of Choleric traits are traits that I associate with type 8. Those traits have always been the part of ESTJ type descriptions that I related least to. Had always chalked it up to a mixing of systems (ESTJ 8 and not any other ESTJ). I'm just not domineering, manipulative, or controlling. Ask anyone -- even people who hate me.

As for the rest: X does not always equal Y, people don't always fit into those boxes perfectly. Better not to leap to the conclusion that you know a person better than they know themselves, just because of those boxes. You don't know me well, but if/when you read more of my forum posts, you should see that I don't act terribly Choleric. (I might still be, but if I am, it's a VERY weak preference.) Compare my posts to those of the forum's various ExTJ Eights and you'll see a sharp contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Your temperament... hm... I'd say sassy-sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @Nihilogen

A lot of Choleric traits are traits that I associate with type 8. Those traits have always been the part of ESTJ type descriptions that I related least to. Had always chalked it up to a mixing of systems (ESTJ 8 and not any other ESTJ). I'm just not domineering, manipulative, or controlling. Ask anyone -- even people who hate me.
    That's not vindictive of enneagram or temperament. You're just mentally healthy.