User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

  1. #1
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default Tritype - not sure I got this right

    I'm only just delving into tritypes so bear with me. But from scanning the descriptions of each triptype and also utiising my knowledge of how the other types manifest in me, I've come to the conclusion I am probably 548 sx/sp. But on ennegram tests I score highly in type 1, although I dont see it. I cant find a description of a 541 anyway. So what do I strike you as?

  2. #2
    So she did. small.wonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Just because you can't find a description of 541 doesn't mean you should discount your highest gut score! I think the descriptions are actually not needed in order to understand how one tritype differs from the other (though it would be helpful). If we know the Enneagram core types, tritype is pretty simple to understand as a combination of three.

    That said, this thread might help with 541, and this one with 548. I'm interested to see where you end out, as I myself am 458.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

  3. #3
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Okay, so the going back to each enneagram type. I believe I'm a five rather than a 1 because I relate to the disintegration point of the 5 more than the 1. But also because I relate to both the 4 and 6 better as wings than either the 9 or 2. So I beleive myself to be operating at 5 for a core.

    When I'm following my bliss I get 4-ish, things I would call my true calling are very 4. When I went back and had a look at the core fears and desires of both the 8 and the 1, I am leaning more on the side of the 8 than the 1. I like to challenge (as an introvert I mainly challenge myself) but I am always seeking that next point of development and I am always putting myself into situations which are uncomfortable for me and for which I am not necessariy suited. The energy of challenge, either internal or external, speaks to me more loudly than the energy of being intrinsically good. I tend towards the darker view of life anyway and dont necessarily have a strict sense of right and wrong nir care too much about being on moral high ground.

    I belive I type high on the 1 because whenever asked if I follow rules or not I always answer yes. But that is the 6 wing in which I do the right thing not because I believe its right but because I believe bad things will happen if I dont. Yes there is a pervasive sense that of something can go badly for me it probably will.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Okay, so the going back to each enneagram type. I believe I'm a five rather than a 1 because I relate to the disintegration point of the 5 more than the 1. But also because I relate to both the 4 and 6 better as wings than either the 9 or 2. So I beleive myself to be operating at 5 for a core.

    When I'm following my bliss I get 4-ish, things I would call my true calling are very 4. When I went back and had a look at the core fears and desires of both the 8 and the 1, I am leaning more on the side of the 8 than the 1. I like to challenge (as an introvert I mainly challenge myself) but I am always seeking that next point of development and I am always putting myself into situations which are uncomfortable for me and for which I am not necessariy suited. The energy of challenge, either internal or external, speaks to me more loudly than the energy of being intrinsically good. I tend towards the darker view of life anyway and dont necessarily have a strict sense of right and wrong nir care too much about being on moral high ground.

    I belive I type high on the 1 because whenever asked if I follow rules or not I always answer yes. But that is the 6 wing in which I do the right thing not because I believe its right but because I believe bad things will happen if I dont. Yes there is a pervasive sense that of something can go badly for me it probably will.
    Well to help you with your gut fix, Type 8 generally acts on justice and vengeance and recognizes and accepts their anger while Type 1 acts on morality and integrity and denies their anger.

    (also a 4-5-8)

  5. #5
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Hmm...I still say an 8 here. I am far more focused on what is just rather than what is right. Yes I am veangeful although my brand of veangeance isn't the tipping acetone on someones car kind of thing. I couldn't give a rats about being moral, necessarily but if you cross me, you'll get what you put out. I wont be patting myself on the back for being jesus and turning the other cheek. So yeah a no brainer. I'm an 8.

  6. #6
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Hmm...I still say an 8 here. I am far more focused on what is just rather than what is right. Yes I am veangeful although my brand of veangeance isn't the tipping acetone on someones car kind of thing. I couldn't give a rats about being moral, necessarily but if you cross me, you'll get what you put out. I wont be patting myself on the back for being jesus and turning the other cheek. So yeah a no brainer. I'm an 8.
    I am a 1. One thing I will say about myself is I test usually fairly strong for 8 and 1, but I don't have that many strong aspects about 8 despite how it might appear. A good way to differentiate between the two, would be to consider how you'd respond to an "attack", and I mean attack in a broad sense.

    8's would tend to want to retaliate with full force equal or stronger. They will simply react for the sole reason that it is a perceived threat.
    1's would need to see if retaliating is actually justified. If it is, then it will happen, if not, then it will pass over or be swallowed (but not forgotten).

    veangeance isn't the tipping acetone on someones car kind of thing.
    Psh, amature. Use dichloromethane, waaaay more effective .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post


    Psh, amature. Use dichloromethane, waaaay more effective .
    *calls Hard an amateur because he used acetone and not dichloromethane*

    *misspells "amateur"*

  8. #8
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    *calls Hard an amateur because he used acetone and not dichloromethane*

    *misspells "amateur"*
    I am well known for having terrible spelling :<
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  9. #9
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    8's would tend to want to retaliate with full force equal or stronger. They will simply react for the sole reason that it is a perceived threat.
    1's would need to see if retaliating is actually justified. If it is, then it will happen, if not, then it will pass over or be swallowed (but not forgotten).
    D.
    Well funny you should say this. I had a situation in which someone (someone I like actually) who just happened to say the wrong thing. Inside I was raging and my reaction was immediate, happened without even thinking about it. The conversation was shutdown in an instant. So yeah, a type 8.

  10. #10
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    Well, so much for the conundrum. A 548 it is, for anyone that's interested. Here's the tritype description....Being an sx variant with so last, I guess I get the double hit of 'least likely to fit in' karma. Interesting anyway.

    458 – The Scholar Archetype

    The 845 is the somewhat introverted, intelligent, headstrong, detached, hyper introspective problem solver with strategic thinking and emotional astuteness.

    *Darkest tritype-458, 854, 584 (particularly when 4 or 5 are in charge)

    Also if you are still considering 548 (or 845): she said this is the the most intense type, particularly if sexual. Intuitive, knowledgeable and direct. This is the type that really craves knowing what makes people tick and builds what she calls mental or internal maps that are quite astute as to what makes people do what they do. This tends to be the darkest of the tritypes because of the intensity of the 3 types (particularly if 4 or 5 is in charge). David said there is a propensity toward the grotesque, anatomical or intensely esoteric. This is the "true scholar" and the life mission is to disseminate what information is found. The blind spot is this has 3 types that can be prone to arrogance and the attachment to the internal map of what they've found can make them blind to new information as it comes in. So there will be a tendency to become fixed in their worldview or ideas particularly about people and not take in new information. So while the map is quite extraordinary that they've painted they may miss a whole region and thus not have the full picture. This is also the most cynical and the tendency to be so overly opinionated can make people turn off to their wisdom. She said when 8 is in charge there is a bit more compassion, and with an integrated 5 or 4 in charge you get a gifted spiritual teacher (Russ Hudson for example)
    An intensely original archetype with a passion to explore and to find the hidden meaning in all things.

    874 and 854 are very similar and can be difficult to distinguish as 8 has access to both 7 and 5. What is helpful is to look at the differences between 7 and 5. The most critical aspect engagement. The 7 engages and brings a positive outlook to the 84_. The 5 is more internal and brings more introversion and reserve. The 874 is more outgoing and spontaneous. it is the difference between facts vs activities.

    ‎854 and 862 share the self-possessed confidence with solution mastery. The 854 is the artsy and intellectual 8 -- with a secret self-consciousness. The 862 is the champion rescuer, protector with a great need to help-- more duty.

    The 485 is the true intellectual that has strong opinions about their feelings and thoughts but less reactivity. Sexual instinct with 4 dominant makes both tritypes more intense. The 458 is one of the tritypes that lives in their head researching and following their own muse.

    ‎846 vs 845. These two tritypes are very different. Both take charge and seek solutions. The 846 is one of the most confrontational tritypes. The other is the 836. The 6 amplifies the 8 need for loyalty and trust. The 845 is more introverted and introspective. The 854 has 5 as a line of connection as well as in the tritype and makes this 8 more scholarly and focused on depth.

    (4)-5-8 - The Power-Seeking 4
    4-(5)-8 - The Reactive 5
    4-5-(8) - The Withdrawn 8

    Impenetrable inner world. They are complex individuals, but they are more characterized by the way they tend to push everyone away from them.

    5-8-4: Most Intense Five. Needs creativity. Can be moody and melancholy.

    458 is the most tough-minded and opinionated 4.

    458 - Knowledgeable and direct 4. Most analytical 4. Craves knowing what makes people tick. Stronger Opinions.

    845: Intuitive and knowledgeable 8. Most withdrawn 8, specially if introverted, 9 wing and/or sp.

    The 458 is an active archetype...just more withdrawn...not passive like the librarian... more the expert as they gather knowledge but have a very definite point of view like the 478 and 468.

    five with an eight fix: least intellectual, though perhaps the most mentally intense. unsettled by occasional fits of temper, sudden outbursts. affixed to notions of power; attitude of resigned realist. quietly guarded and insistent, may put others ill at ease.

    eight with a four fix: the moody, loner eight. distinct outsider quality; as if on a highly
    personal mission. tendency to feel exempt from conventional rules
    and circumstances.

    The 458 is more openly emotional and expressive. The 548 is more mental and reserved...like the difference between 4 and 5. Both are intuitive thinkers and tend to be introverted. They are intellectuals that take action when they feel strongly about something. Others are always surprised when the 8 appears as this tritype appears quiet.

    A couple of distinctions...The 458 is more emotionally expressive than the 548. The content can be very different. The 458 is more inclined to talk about their feelings about a subject of interest whereas the 548 will be more reserved and speak about tinteresting facts about a subject. The energy of the 458 is focused on the analysis of their feelings first whereas the 548 is focused on the analysis of the information first.

    Social increases the need to have the critical information needed to be interesting to others-- to be wise and in the know. Sp increases the focus on the the basics... the resources one must expend to have the information.What will the cost be? All 6 variations of the 458 will avoid being ignorant and speak up for what they believe in. For example, in contrast, the sp548 will be far more reluctant to speak than the sx845 but both fear being inadequate, incompetent and powerless.

    The 4-5-8 is the most direct and blunt of all the tritypes, with the exception of perhaps 3-5-8

    874 and 854 are very similar and can be difficult to distinguish as 8 has access to both 7 and 5. What is helpful is to look at the differences between 7 and 5. The most critical aspect engagement. The 7 engages and brings a positive outlook to the 84_. The 5 is more internal and brings more introversion and reserve. The 874 is more outgoing and spontaneous. it is the difference between facts vs activities.

    seeing your place as in the shadows is exactly how the 458 describes themselves. The 458, 468 and 478 are all truth tellers in their own way. The 468 is the one that is hyper reactive and still seeks a fair authority. The 458 and 478 are their own authorities.

    the 548 tritype is the 5 most likely to appear 4-ish.

    I think that 458 tritype could be mis-typed as 5, but this is much less likely than a 548 being mis-typed as a 4. It is double reactivity and resultant emotional intensity/volatility of having 4 and 8 together that clashes with the 5, even when 5 is core.

    out of 458/459/451 I'd guess that both 459 and 451 would seem more 5-like (or, more accurately, be more likely to be mis-typed as 5) than 458.

    The 485 is an intensely original archetype with a passion to explore and find the hidden meaning in all things.

    The 845 is more introverted intuition with the attention going inward. It can be darker and is more cynical.

    (EIDB 548 tritype discussion thread: The Enneagram Institute Discussion Board - 5 4 8 Tritype ):

    Intense, especially with sx first. Independent, dark, cynical. Most eccentric, creative 5 that tends to swing between detachment and emotionality. Most 4ish 5, especially with four wing. Tough-minded, analytical 4 that is staunchly individualistic. Withdrawn, sensitive, creative 8. "Scholar" archetype if I remember correctly. Wants to know what makes people tick.Actually, I think this 5 would be more fantasy oriented than information oriented. This would be the dreamy 5.

    What I was criticising was the implication that the unique view a 5-4-8 creates is a monolithic system which doesn't change or adjust due to presumably stasis or narcissism or an inability to take criticism. Dynamism, flux and big intellectual shifts are much more likely.
    While a 5-4-8 is likely to be an intellectual narcissist, I think any criticism that they are unable to change or adjust their view is the opposite of the case because there is an intense self-criticism as well. Change and flux are constant.

    first, because 5-4-8's are unlikely to think in systems (which you've now agreed with), and second, because of their sensitivity to inconsistency, constant self-criticism and tendency to change positions.
    I think there is an element of truth in the description though, in that 5-4-8's can be wilfully perverse and too arrogant to accept criticism from others. But they are likely to outwardly repudiate that criticism, and then later modify their views accordingly rather than stubbornly retain their original position.

    My experience of this type is of course my only experience of any kind, so hard to be 'objective'. But here goes. I find it a complex, contradictory and often perplexing type to be. The 3 numbers pull against each other, and there is no social element(3, 6, or 9) to smooth the way. This is exacerbated if you have SO as your last stacking. Although all generalisations are suspect (including this one), it is particularly hard to generalise about this tritype. This tritype seems peculiarly subject to flux, and thus can vary greatly, or have many different real selves.
    However, dark, eccentric, creative, cynical, sensitive, scholarly are not wide of the mark (although tend to create a caricature if taken too seriously). It's true that we tend to be intensely interested in the psychology of other people, if only because we are at an utter loss to figure out ourselves much of the time. In a way, we are natural scholars but too scholarly, polymathic and restless for universities these days, which reward the careerist specialist.
    5-4-8's are subject to rapid oscillations of emotion and thought, equally capable of preternatural strength and weakness of mind at any given moment. One minute an angel, the next a cruel tyrant. A lot of love and a lot of hate. Exquisitely sensitive but all too capable of cruelty and callousness to others. One wants to know, in a totalizing and essential fashion, know poetically but know precisely as well, but never quite gets there.

    We are paradox-mongers, live in metaphor, and are always trying to find new ways to say and see things (and hence are often pretentious) - i.e. iconoclasts - but can be as pedantic, systematic and anally analytical as anyone - i.e. using our 5-ness to beat others at their own games when they have underestimated us as loose, kooky or not with it.
    5-4-8's have a predisposition to religion and philosophy, especially pessimistic and melancholic strains, but a commensurate disappointment with the lack of answers that satisfy us and a concomitant melancholy.

    I would caution against such a romanticized view of this tritype as it may defeat the value of knowing one’s type. I would disagree with a lot of the first things you said about this combination – “many real selves” and “subject to flux”. I find a kind of coherency in that here you’ve got two reactive types (4,8) two rejection (5,8) two withdrawn (4,5) and three very independent, very resistant to anything that originates outside itself, and not particularly concerned with objectivity, consistency, or interested in being accessible in any way. The greatest fluctuation I feel is between feeling incredibly hard and strong to being very self-conscious and inept. Strong and Vulnerable are my two modes, brought out when I feel I am unable to make that leap across the fragments of words and space between myself and someone I have an interest in.

    I believe Nietzsche and Gurdjieff were of this tritype, though G may have had 7 instead of 5, but Katherine Fauvre very much agreed with me when I said there was something “Hermetic” about this tri-type. There is a kind of de-construction of present systems and a reconstruction into something that subverts previously-held notions. I like to think of myself as an “ontological terrorist”. Nietzsche is a beautiful illustration of what I see as the gift of this tritype – of staring past the fragility in the conceptions humans, as living and rational beings, hope to cling to and look into something “under”, to poke around in [blocked due to guideline #4 violation], and reveal the beauty within it. Hades operates under a kind of 854 archetypal pattern. There’s the destructive power and energy to produce an impact of 8, along with the “ground-up” construction and innovation of 5 with the creativity and will to rebirth of 4. Of course, that’s only there in the best examples of this tritype, a call the rest of us can only hope to live up to.

    There are of course coherent factors - otherwise there wouldn't be a category. However, I still feel that the concept of change over time is very important to 548. I guess this is what I mean by different selves - the many different selves over one's life (which is also true of everyone). That is, think of Heraclitus's saw - you cannot step into the same river twice. Not just because the river has changed, but because you are - that minute to minute one's self is mutating, adapting, contradicting itself. This does not necessarily have to defeat the concept of a core coherent self, but certainly challenges it.

    I disagree with your point that 548s are not particularly concerned with objectivity, consistency, or interested in being accessible in any way. While these three values are pretty hard to attain, and difficult to define, they are pretty important to me, at least some of the time - and especially in any discrete intellectual task I want to complete.

    I think our tritype is especially gifted with calling it’s fundamental beliefs into constant question. You’ve got 4’s emphasis on self-creation and thus change, the 5’s emphasis on clear perception, innovation, curiosity, and the 8 that confronts and challenges. There is always a readiness to undermine ourselves with an aim at change, but shows us what crap each construct we hold at every stage of growth really is and there is always the correct suspicion that whatever construct we hold in the present is simply a construction.]

    5-4-8: more reactive and temperamental, such Fives find it harder to control their emotions than other tritypes. They are basically sensitive, reclusive and ingenious, occasionally indulging in (romantic) day-dreams and fantasies, but once in a while their fierce, visceral side reveals itself explosively and gets to surprise people who don’t know them well. These Fives are usually selfish and whimsical, considering themselves entitled to special treatment which they will sometimes claim aggressively. They are prone to mood swings and rage outbursts.
    typical subtypes: sexual, self-preserving, 5w4
    similar tritypes: 5-8-4, 4-5-8
    flavours: innovative, temperamental, egocentric and intense

    5-8-4: original, rebellious, temperamental and highly individualistic and independent, these Fives are can be extremely self-focused and mostly unconcerned with other people’s feelings and wants. They are often inspired and have great vision which they strive to turn into reality – they have a practical side which helps them. Although brilliant and resourceful, others may find it hard to deal with their self-important, narcissistic behavior and their oversensitivity to frustration – their violent reactions can be scary.
    typical subtypes: sexual, 5w4, 5w6 (counterphobic wing)
    similar tritypes: 5-4-8, 8-5-4
    flavours: resourceful, defiant, visionary and reactive

Similar Threads

  1. [Tri] Questioning my whole Enneagram and I got this tritype.
    By Melodrama in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-24-2016, 10:05 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-20-2016, 11:31 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 01:24 AM
  4. Not sure how to do this
    By Karin in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 11:38 AM
  5. I'm new, but I'm not sure I understand the point of all this...
    By thedusen in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 02:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO