• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type myself?

look.sky.ward

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So... like most people, I'm having a little trouble deciding on a type. So I'm asking for help.

Backstory.
The first time I took the test I got INTP. (It was a free online test... I don't know if those things are accurate at all. But I could just have easily chosen answers that were, to me, ideal.)

Then, like most people as well, I did a little research of my own about the functions. Learned a thing or two.
Yet I still have a few questions... that, hopefully, will be answered soon.

Would you guys care to help me out with this? Please? :D

Here are some information.

1.) Ni vs Ne: When I'm thinking, or presented with a new information, I don't... dwell on the facts that are presented to me. Sometimes... someone will say something... and I didn't even listen all that much... but then if they ask me to repeat what they've said... I am able to somehow do it. When someone presents new information... if it's abstract ... I don't have to focus on the details. I just... for some reason... get it. I don't know how to explain this. Sometimes I'm, by reflex, predicting what someone will say... and it can get annoying (like with books I'm reading)... because the element of surprise is lost. But that's how I take information in. I kind of wait for it to sink in (it sinks in in a way that I cannot explain)... and when it does. I just get it. I have had some "Aha!" moments. This seems to be Ni... but err... in college... I would be good at making stuff up... which is Ne(coming up with ideas). It's fairly easy for me to connect one idea to the other. In a losing argument... I will use "uncertainty" to distract my opponent... and throw many, many ideas or possible scenarios for the purpose of having them lose focus. I'm really good at that. Or say... someone pisses me off online... it would be easy for me to come up with a foolproof plan of revenge. I actually have carried out and been successful with some. I also don't take people's words at face value. I interpret other people's words and actions through their possible meanings. Like someone asking a question... I won't mind the question... but my thought would be focused on... "what is the purpose of this question? If I say this... how will this person react to it? what kind of person asks a question like that?! teehee.". Ne?

>>> Unsure?

2.) Fi vs Fe: When I was younger... I really didn't get along with people because I would just say what's on my mind. I had no intention to emotionally connect with anyone. That got me into a lot of trouble. I had a lot of opinions that were... unpopular. And I said them to people which made them hate me. But I seem to always had a thing for the underdog. Anyone I see being mistreated... some part of me would want to fight for them. When I was dating... (peer pressure) I intimidated men, I guess. Because I would see through their bs, and I would behave in a nontypical way. Someone being inappropriate, in my view... would be told off. Is this Fi?

I've learned the value of conforming a little bit to societal expectations though. Being an island is not much fun sometimes. I've changed my behavior a little bit... so that i appear friendly to people. Deep down, I mean no harm to people... I want to genuinely understand how they tick or to actually know, sometimes, what it's like to be in their shoes. There was a time in my life when I actually wanted to connect with them. But... these days... I'm just friendly. I guess, I'm using more Fe.

>>> Fi.

3.) Te vs Ti: when I'm researching or learning something new. The best way for me to understand it would be through... adding more information to the new information(the internet helps with this). After I've collected enough data... I'll attempt to understand the basic, underlying principle of something... when I do... I can then just apply it to everything else. There is a pattern, I suppose, that I automatically look for. It helps a lot also to imagine how that information is relevant to what I'm going to use it for. Most of the time, I don't like asking people to teach me things... I prefer doing my own research or figuring things out myself. Then after thinking about it... i'll know. I don't know which it is... cause doing own research seems(i like to personalize my knowledge)Ti, but I look for it external facts (I write them down... organize them when I can... when I'm reading a book I like to write facts I consider relevant on it, I time myself... err. I also think of applying this information, so, once upon a time I've dreamt of changing the world single-handedly) which is Te.

>>> Ti?

4.) Si vs Se: the world. I have not noticed much of the world... until recently. (Thank you, Dalai Lama) Or maybe that's just what i think. But I've interacted with it a lot... before the advent of the internet. (I used to tinker and build things) But I enjoy it when I'm there... noticing things. If I try to remember things... there are stuff about the physical world that I readily notice that others don't. A woman at the grocery store wearing an adult diaper which my mom thought was just a well-endowed bottom... a slightly different orange tinge of the sky... an old man sitting on a bench with a small possibly contagious rash on his wrist... I notice when things are different from how they usually are. This is... Se right? I was nostalgic when I was depressed...most people tend to be, I guess. So I probably was using a lot of Si then... hence, the confusion on my part.
Though...

Here is a definition of Si

"Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience."

The past is useful to me... because I can learn from it. So I revisit it sometimes... to keep myself on a forward track.
Sometimes... a certain smell would remind me of a place... how a stranger behaves would remind me of an old friend... a just-about-to-rain weather would remind me of lazy college days. (Si)

So,

>>> Unsure.

What do you think my type is?
And were my umm poor attempts at figuring out my functions accurate?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

P.S.

One thing I'm certain of is my introversion. I cannot stand to be in the presence of someone who talks for any extended length of time(or to be with anyone for any extended period of time). I physically become ill.:shock:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The past is useful to me... because I can learn from it. So I revisit it sometimes... to keep myself on a forward track."

That is Ni, not Si.

look.sky.ward

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The past is useful to me... because I can learn from it. So I revisit it sometimes... to keep myself on a forward track."

That is Ni, not Si.

Oh... I was just going by what was written on the quote. :mellow:
The rest is correct though?

My knowledge of cog functions is limited. That's why they call me n00b.

yeghor

This is definitely Ne...You are most likely a Ne dominant...

You wanted to connect...You sound as if you have adjusted your external behaviour so as not to drive people away...I believe this is Fe...

This is how I learn thru my Ni and Ti...So may be Ti perhaps...I've always associated Te with giving orders and commands around to structure the external world...not entirely sure if that holds water or not...

Does having to rely on others to learn something new make you feel inferior/insufficient? Do you abhor relying on other people?

Not sure...

What in daily life causes you most distress/annoyance/fear/anxiety in relation to other people around?

Do friends tell you things that they say you've told them but you don't recall telling?

Are you a good storyteller among friends?

How old are you?

Why exactly? What do you feel/think at those times? What exactly in the other person cause you distress? What do you feel they expect from you that you cannot deliver to them?

Mal12345 said:
That is Ni, not Si.

How come?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How come?

Because of this, "...to keep myself on a forward track." Learning from the past to meet the needs of the future is not Si, it is Ni.

yeghor

Because of this, "...to keep myself on a forward track." Learning from the past to meet the needs of the future is not Si, it is Ni.

How does Si actually work then if that's Ni?

Ni does not "consciously" recall past data for extrapolation...It is a sub-conscious process...that's how it is at least for me...I do not think INTJs use it in the former way either...

How about you?

What's with the "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." message when I click on her profile by the way?

She deleted her profile?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does Si actually work then if that's Ni?

Ni does not "consciously" recall past data for extrapolation...It is a sub-conscious process...that's how it is at least for me...I do not think INTJs use it in the former way either...

How about you?

What's with the "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." message when I click on her profile by the way?

She deleted her profile?

If you don't consciously extrapolate past data, then how are you aware that you do this?

yeghor

If you don't consciously extrapolate past data, then how are you aware that you do this?

Because there must be some baseline that I am jumping forward from (extrapolating) but when I do that (jump forward) I do not vividly recall detailed past instances (Si data) that I use as baseline...

I think my Ni have already converted those Si data into less memory consuming Ni essential patterns...So I am recalling those patterns rather than the lengthy Si data...I guess it's a storage efficiency trick my brain uses, like zipping/compressing files so that they'll take less space or using just symbol (Ni data) for a line of code that frequently repeats itself (Si data)...

She on the other hand mentioned consciously recalling/revisiting past memories...Isn't that pure Si?

What about my other question about her profile? What does it mean?

Alea_iacta_est

Si: Unconsciously noticing that certain details are off, usually sensations, based on past data. These people unconsciously sense that something is not what they are use to in the form of details. These people will be the first to point out changes in appearance (predominantly in the ISFJ) and will be able to problem solve easily by remembering how they solved a similar problem in the past (predominantly in the ISTJ).

Ni: Unconsciously envisioning what the next course of action should be. In terms of past data, Ni sifts through past memories and knowledge to gather the big picture information to help build a new, effective, vision based on a past example (predominantly in the INTJ), and thus manifests itself as a "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" mantra; it's more trial and error based than Si. In the INFJ, Ni sifts through past knowledge to gather an emotional checklist for other people based on their previous experiences with others. When Ni has calculated in the unconscious what exactly the other person is experiencing, it expresses itself to the Ego, which in some cases is an actual physical sensation, such as your stomach muscles tightening or even a sudden pain*.

Essentially,
Si: Let's use what we have used in the past because that's always worked and will solve the problem.
Ni: Let's use what we have used in the past to do something new and plan for the future.

*At least that's what I've heard from some INFJs. The INTJ doesn't really experience physical sensations but instead experiences premonitions and visions internally.

yeghor

So what function does this imply? "The past is useful to me... because I can learn from it. So I revisit it sometimes... to keep myself on a forward track."

Also, what does "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." mean?

Alea_iacta_est

So what function does this imply? "The past is useful to me... because I can learn from it. So I revisit it sometimes... to keep myself on a forward track."

Also, what does "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." mean?

Seems very Ni-ish. Si would say something more like "let's revisit the past because I'm sure the solution to the situation at hand is in here somewhere."

I have no idea, maybe the person has selected a hide profile option?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because there must be some baseline that I am jumping forward from (extrapolating) but when I do that (jump forward) I do not vividly recall detailed past instances (Si data) that I use as baseline...

I think my Ni have already converted those Si data into less memory consuming Ni essential patterns...So I am recalling those patterns rather than the lengthy Si data...I guess it's a storage efficiency trick my brain uses, like zipping/compressing files so that they'll take less space or using just symbol (Ni data) for a line of code that frequently repeats itself (Si data)...

She on the other hand mentioned consciously recalling/revisiting past memories...Isn't that pure Si?

What about my other question about her profile? What does it mean?

I don't know what's wrong with the profile page. But Si is not to be confused with memory. Memory interacts with functions.

Si-dom perceives one thing but sees quite another, something subjective. Fact-based perception is converted into a subjective, instinctually- or unconsciously-based fiction. Although fictional, it is easily recognizable by the non-Si dom when it is described. So it is not a fanciful abstraction as with the Ni-dom. But we non-Si doms don't habitually think that way. Si is the method of the archetypal thinker.

This is difficult for us non-Si doms to comprehend, so we sometimes interpret it more easily as something memory-based.

yeghor

Seems very Ni-ish. Si would say "let's revisit the past because I'm sure the solution to the situation at hand is in here somewhere."

I have no idea, maybe the person has selected a hide profile option?

I dwell on the past when I'm only in a bad mood (past traumas and failures) or I have an insight/flash (aha moment) about someone's actions in the past...in both cases the process is not consciously initiated but reflexive, I cannot control it...it just pops into mind...then I may dwell on it consciously further probably using Ti...

Perhaps she's actually talking about Ti analyzing a past Si data? Ni just doesn't ring true for me...

Alea_iacta_est

Just read the entire first post, OP seems sickeningly INTJ. Clear Ni > Si, Clear devaluing of Fe over Fi, textbook usage of Te through the gathering of information to find an underlying principle (which would be data mining via Te to be processed via Ni to seek the universal truth of the data). Awkward phrasing and definitions of Se with the whole noticing details thing yet still being a little confused about it suggests Se is in the inf. slot, and is thus baffling to the user.

yeghor

I've always associated it with ability to store and recall detailed accumulated and individually categorized sensory data...I believe Si-dom/aux people may have an aptitude to learn multiple languages much more easily or recall certain articles/text such as law/legislation very precisely...perhaps it may also be related to photographic memory...

So I've always imagined a Si-dom (and perhaps an aux) recalling a past sensory data as if he/she was sensing it again in the present moment (like playing it back)...

About "Si is the method of the archetypal thinker." Ti rings more true to me for a thinker and Si rings more true for a doer/implementor/executor...

yeghor

Just read the entire first post, OP seems sickeningly INTJ. Clear Ni > Si, Clear devaluing of Fe over Fi, textbook usage of Te through the gathering of information to find an underlying principle (which would be data mining via Te to be processed via Ni to seek the universal truth of the data). Awkward phrasing and definitions of Se with the whole noticing details thing yet still being a little confused about it suggests Se is in the inf. slot, and is thus baffling to the user.

I think Te is more concerned about how you envision your insights would fit into/re-structure the external world/object you are dealing with...I also associate it with the ability to convey your thoughts to the external world in a precise manner (like being articulate)...I lack Te so I pause or dwell on what to say precisely too much while I talk...I can do that much better in writing...Though that's just my "assumption" on Te...

I also do datamining as an INFJ but I use Ti to analyze that data internally and then pass it onto Ni so that Ni can squeeze a pattern out of the accumulated/mined and analyzed data...

I suspect she's a different type than INTJ...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always associated it with ability to store and recall detailed accumulated and individually categorized sensory data...I believe Si-dom/aux people may have an aptitude to learn multiple languages much more easily or recall certain articles/text such as law/legislation very precisely...perhaps it may also be related to photographic memory...

So I've always imagined a Si-dom (and perhaps an aux) recalling a past sensory data as if he/she was sensing it again in the present moment (like playing it back)...

About "Si is the method of the archetypal thinker." Ti rings more true to me for a thinker and Si rings more true for a doer/implementor/executor...

This discussion boils down to one thing: imagining and associating what Si does, versus what Jung actually said Si does.

yeghor

This discussion boils down to one thing: imagining and associating what Si does, versus what Jung actually said Si does.

What did he say about Si? And are his words set in stone? ;)

yeghor

Are your associations set in stone?

No goddammit...:) They can be overruled with persuasion, discussion and an overriding amount of data that points to a different conclusion...

I am just putting forward my conclusions and deductions...based on my currently available database, which is ever-changing and evolving...I may be mistaken or off in my deductions...I won't get any better if I do not put them forward though...:)