• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's my type? (Socionics)

sworm09

So after utterly failing to type myself using MBTI, I've turned to Socionics. From watching my own behaviors and thoughts, here's what I can say about myself:

- I'm pretty resistant to other people in that I don't trust/like being around them for extended periods of time. I guess it comes somewhat feeling threatened by other people. I need vast amounts of quiet alone time and I'll often leave my dorm room just to get away from my roommate. At the same time I crave deep emotional connections; particularly romantic connections. A lot of my depression comes from wanting a deep emotional connection with someone, but finding difficulty expressing that in a fluid manner.

-I'm pretty serious and rigid. I have a sense of humor, but it's largely sarcastic and dry rather than silly or nonsensical. To be honest nonsensical humor just irritates me and people that are too goofy or silly irritate me as well.

-I'm a very sensitive person, but upon first inspection you wouldn't guess that. Outwardly I'm pretty unemotional and cold. I can sometimes come off as dry, uncaring, or indifferent when I'm really quite emotional and caring. I guess my emotions just don't make it up to being expressed outwardly.

-As an addition to the last point, when I do express my emotions, it's often very spontaneous and uncontrolled. I can go from unemotional to nervous wreck in seconds and back again, but most of the time I'm pretty unemotional and laid back. I've often heard people tell me that they didn't know that I could get angry or upset.

-I'm incredibly imaginative and I have a complex inner world full of various abstractly related concepts, fantasies, characters, and stories. Most of my effort goes into exploring and refining that inner world. Most of my information comes from seeing how concepts relate to each other within this sort of "inner matrix" of ideas. It's really hard to explain. Most of my energy is devoted to this aspect of myself though, which is why I enjoy alone time.

- I love to read about interesting concepts and theories, particularly abstract ones, and I love trying to take those concepts and integrate them into my inner...whatever it's called. The thing about my mind is that I don't know that I know things until I start talking about them, so I absorb tons of information on things because I feel like I don't know anything, only to discover later that I know much more about things than I think I do; sometimes through simply drawing connections between things or interpreting an abstract connection, I can know about things and talk about things without actually learning anything about them.

If more info is needed, just ask! I'd love to hear what you think!

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think LSI. Could be LII.

I have a question though, is your intellectual/absract interest mostly a perosnal thing, ie something you keep to yourself, or do you push your abstractness onto others?

sworm09

I have a question though, is your intellectual/absract interest mostly a perosnal thing, ie something you keep to yourself, or do you push your abstractness onto others?

It depends on what you mean by pushing it onto others.

Many of my abstract fantasies are intensely personal, but the vast majority of my theoretical/intellectual stuff I'm more than happy to discuss. I actually look forward to discussing how I think things work or why I think certain things happen. I also like sharing random facts with people...to their perpetual annoyance.

But in regards to my internal fantasies, no one knows about that because I never mention it. The furthest I can get to saying that I push my abstractness onto others is in the way that I see connections that other people generally don't. I have a tendency of taking minor events and relating them to larger concepts or ideas....and when I do that some people are amazed, others are confused. I get quite upset when someone tells me that I'm wrong when I do that too, because I expect people to see how certain things connect to others and I always assume, to my detriment, that people can pick up on implications easily. Most people don't. Most of my emotional conflicts come from me thinking that people pick up on a lot of the feelings that I imply as I do for others, but they really don't.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-I'm a very sensitive person, but upon first inspection you wouldn't guess that. Outwardly I'm pretty unemotional and cold. I can sometimes come off as dry, uncaring, or indifferent when I'm really quite emotional and caring. I guess my emotions just don't make it up to being expressed outwardly.

-As an addition to the last point, when I do express my emotions, it's often very spontaneous and uncontrolled. I can go from unemotional to nervous wreck in seconds and back again, but most of the time I'm pretty unemotional and laid back. I've often heard people tell me that they didn't know that I could get angry or upset.

1D Fe... Dual-Seeking or PoLR, I have a feeling from the rest of your description that it's PoLR though

-I'm incredibly imaginative and I have a complex inner world full of various abstractly related concepts, fantasies, characters, and stories. Most of my effort goes into exploring and refining that inner world. Most of my information comes from seeing how concepts relate to each other within this sort of "inner matrix" of ideas. It's really hard to explain. Most of my energy is devoted to this aspect of myself though, which is why I enjoy alone time.

Ni-base?

I could've said Ti but no because you're doing more than just Ti

- I love to read about interesting concepts and theories, particularly abstract ones, and I love trying to take those concepts and integrate them into my inner...whatever it's called. The thing about my mind is that I don't know that I know things until I start talking about them, so I absorb tons of information on things because I feel like I don't know anything, only to discover later that I know much more about things than I think I do; sometimes through simply drawing connections between things or interpreting an abstract connection, I can know about things and talk about things without actually learning anything about them.

Enneagram 5? Te-creative?

But in regards to my internal fantasies, no one knows about that because I never mention it. The furthest I can get to saying that I push my abstractness onto others is in the way that I see connections that other people generally don't. I have a tendency of taking minor events and relating them to larger concepts or ideas....and when I do that some people are amazed, others are confused. I get quite upset when someone tells me that I'm wrong when I do that too, because I expect people to see how certain things connect to others and I always assume, to my detriment, that people can pick up on implications easily. Most people don't. Most of my emotional conflicts come from me thinking that people pick up on a lot of the feelings that I imply as I do for others, but they really don't.

Yeah well you got some really strong intuition there :p

When someone's amazed by your intuition as described here, what do they specifically say, why do they appreciate it?

What did you mean by people not picking up on feelings that you imply?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Haha thing is I sometimes have trouble differentiating LSI from ILI but OP seems so intuitive :eek:

(LII is off the table IMO, OP doesn't seem to be Alpha)

sworm09

1D Fe... Dual-Seeking or PoLR, I have a feeling from the rest of your description that it's PoLR though

Ni-base?

I could've said Ti but no because you're doing more than just Ti

Enneagram 5? Te-creative?

Yeah well you got some really strong intuition there :p

What did you mean by people not picking up on feelings that you imply?

I almost never tell people how I feel, but I do things to imply how I feel. It's a little unfair to others, but I expect people to just "know" how I feel based on my actions/reactions. I guess it's projection because I tend to just "know" how people feel and what they think by observing them and their actions. I'm pretty good at explaining how people think based almost entirely on inferences.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I almost never tell people how I feel, but I do things to imply how I feel. It's a little unfair to others, but I expect people to just "know" how I feel based on my actions/reactions. I guess it's projection because I tend to just "know" how people feel and what they think by observing them and their actions. I'm pretty good at explaining how people think based almost entirely on inferences.

Sorry, I added a few lines afterwards, can you answer that question too (about your intuition)?

Anyway, ok, that's interesting, sounds kind of like stronger Fi than ILI would have? I don't know at this point :) I'm not very good at understanding Fi anyway if that's even what you have as valued F function

sworm09

Sorry, I added a few lines afterwards, can you answer that question too (about your intuition)?

Anyway, ok, that's interesting, sounds kind of like stronger Fi than ILI would have? I don't know at this point :) I'm not very good at understanding Fi anyway if that's even what you have as valued F function

When people are amazed at my intuition. ... I've been told that I have wisdom far beyond my years. People are often shocked that I know the things that I do...sometimes people also fail to understand some of my insights. .sometimes I do too actually lol. People often appreciate it because I tend to put people's situation into a broader perspective, showing cause and effect, general patterns, and trends, and the effects that their actions will have. People like having that. Combine that with my ability to understand how people think and my friends call me a natural psychologist.

I'm also very good at relating small situations to much larger contexts...somewhat helping people to see how events and things are connected. When working with other people I also find myself able to tell people why they do the things they do through noticing patterns in their behavior (through observing them over time)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When people are amazed at my intuition. ... I've been told that I have wisdom far beyond my years. People are often shocked that I know the things that I do...sometimes people also fail to understand some of my insights. .sometimes I do too actually lol. People often appreciate it because I tend to put people's situation into a broader perspective, showing cause and effect, general patterns, and trends, and the effects that their actions will have. People like having that. Combine that with my ability to understand how people think and my friends call me a natural psychologist.

OK, Ni-base! Lol

(And I'll say it's amazing :p)

What do you mean by understanding people's way of thinking? What kind of thinking?

sworm09

Describing this will be difficult lol.

Through watching people's behavior, I make inferences. When I see more behavior that backs that up, I'll take a leap and say what will happen and why. As soon as I see a slight pattern, I take note of things that reaffirm that pattern.

This also works backwards. Once I've seen a pattern affirmed by enough events in the past, I can feel safe saying with certainty how things work, even if the situation is different.

Within the context of how people think, the same process happens. I might notice a subtle thread or a pattern in behavior and then I'll draw on observable events to draw inferences that "fill in the gaps" in their behavior. Over time I'll find myself with a pretty detailed map of a person's behavior patterns, thought patterns, and stuff. That's how I know what to do in regards to others and that's why strangers scare me lol

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Describing this will be difficult lol.

Through watching people's behavior, I make inferences. When I see more behavior that backs that up, I'll take a leap and say what will happen and why. As soon as I see a slight pattern, I take note of things that reaffirm that pattern.

This also works backwards. Once I've seen a pattern affirmed by enough events in the past, I can feel safe saying with certainty how things work, even if the situation is different.

Within the context of how people think, the same process happens. I might notice a subtle thread or a pattern in behavior and then I'll draw on observable events to draw inferences that "fill in the gaps" in their behavior. Over time I'll find myself with a pretty detailed map of a person's behavior patterns, thought patterns, and stuff. That's how I know what to do in regards to others and that's why strangers scare me lol

OK that's socionics Ni..

I'd just like to confirm the creative function but I'm not sure what you meant by knowing how people feel. Is that an empathy based way of knowing or do you mean it in terms of what they think?

Btw what things do you do to imply how you feel?

á´…eparted

passages
LSI has been suggested. I tend to agree with that. Reason being is you sound fairly similar to myself, and I am near certain that I am LSI. To further support this, my socionics type and MBTI type don't well line up. I am definitely an Ni-dom in MBTI. However I have a lot of qualities that look quite like Si to the untrained eye. Under the lens of socionics it look different. It is definitely possible to have them be different. You have to remember, personality theories only capture about 20% of our entire personality makeup at best.

Take a look at some LSI descriptions and see how it feels for you (it can give direction). I remember a while back that I hadn't even considered LSI for a long time and I was lost with bad type fits until then.

sworm09

OK that's socionics Ni..

I'd just like to confirm the creative function but I'm not sure what you meant by knowing how people feel. Is that an empathy based way of knowing or do you mean it in terms of what they think?

Btw what things do you do to imply how you feel?

It's empathy based on knowing, my empathy isn't feeling other's pain. When I'm implying how I feel I hint at my feelings through words.

sworm09

LSI has been suggested. I tend to agree with that. Reason being is you sound fairly similar to myself, and I am near certain that I am LSI. To further support this, my socionics type and MBTI type don't well line up. I am definitely an Ni-dom in MBTI. However I have a lot of qualities that look quite like Si to the untrained eye. Under the lens of socionics it look different. It is definitely possible to have them be different. You have to remember, personality theories only capture about 20% of our entire personality makeup at best.

Take a look at some LSI descriptions and see how it feels for you (it can give direction). I remember a while back that I hadn't even considered LSI for a long time and I was lost with bad type fits until then.

I don't really relate too well to the aggressiveness indicated here through Se :/

á´…eparted

passages
I don't really relate too well to the aggressiveness indicated here through Se :/

Well then we've learned something! I am on the aggressive side of things and have no problem tapping that when I need to. You likely don't have Se anywhere in your mix if that is the case since that is a hallmark of it.

Try reading around on other types folks have suggested. It might help point you in the right direction and give you a good starting point.

sworm09

Well then we've learned something! I am on the aggressive side of things and have no problem tapping that when I need to. You likely don't have Se anywhere in your mix if that is the case since that is a hallmark of it.

Try reading around on other types folks have suggested. It might help point you in the right direction and give you a good starting point.

Se is actually something I see as threatening. I sort of avoid/back away from people with physical presence and those who use physical intimation tactics.

á´…eparted

passages
Se is actually something I see as threatening. I sort of avoid/back away from people with physical presence and those who use physical intimation tactics.

You're misunderstanding what aggressive is then. It's being used in neither a positive, or negative manner. It's not just a physical action. In fact I'd argue it almost never is. It's someone being determined, strong in their own will, they go for what they want and will make sure they are seen and heard in order to do so. It's to push hard to get to the goal. It's the opposite of passive really. I almost never intentionally seek to intimidate anyone. Doing so honestly seldom works anyway.

sworm09

You're misunderstanding what aggressive is then. It's being used in neither a positive, or negative manner. It's not just a physical action. In fact I'd argue it almost never is. It's someone being determined, strong in their own will, they go for what they want and will make sure they are seen and heard in order to do so. It's to push hard to get to the goal. It's the opposite of passive really. I almost never intentionally seek to intimidate anyone. Doing so honestly seldom works anyway.

Ahh ok. But my comment still stands. I definitely don't relate to that, and seeing other people do that is a tad off putting to me.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's empathy based on knowing, my empathy isn't feeling other's pain. When I'm implying how I feel I hint at my feelings through words.

Alright I still lean towards ILI then. But can you say more on how you hint at feelings? Perhaps an example sentence? Is this all very subtle hints? I recall you said you're not at all emotionally expressive. Just internally emotional at times, right?

EDIT: Not excluding LII at this point, your F is a bit unclear still and the Se stuff as well. Though LII would be preferring Ti over Ni, and I haven't seen you talk about Ne that much yet.

Do you have a lot of fantasy worlds like OP does and are you able to focus so well on explaining/seeing trends?

Btw wow, 20%, that doesn't sound a lot lol, I recall different estimates, but still not too high numbers, sure.

I truly don't want to nitpick, did you mean OP doesn't value Se in that case? I think Se superid types would relate to it less, especially if there is only Se-DS which is like, really weak Se.

Guess you meant to use the word "assertive", not "aggressive". The latter word is not specific enough, has other meanings etc. It's sure subjective what people perceive as outright aggressive anyway... What you described wouldn't seem aggressive to me, just assertive. Maybe to more sensitive people *shrug*

Ahh ok. But my comment still stands. I definitely don't relate to that, and seeing other people do that is a tad off putting to me.

What exactly is off putting about it?

sworm09

Alright I still lean towards ILI then. But can you say more on how you hint at feelings? Perhaps an example sentence? Is this all very subtle hints? I recall you said you're not at all emotionally expressive. Just internally emotional at times, right?

EDIT: Not excluding LII at this point, your F is a bit unclear still and the Se stuff as well. Though LII would be preferring Ti over Ni, and I haven't seen you talk about Ne that much yet.

Do you have a lot of fantasy worlds like OP does and are you able to focus so well on explaining/seeing trends?

Btw wow, 20%, that doesn't sound a lot lol, I recall different estimates, but still not too high numbers, sure.

I truly don't want to nitpick, did you mean OP doesn't value Se in that case? I think Se superid types would relate to it less, especially if there is only Se-DS which is like, really weak Se.

Guess you meant to use the word "assertive", not "aggressive". The latter word is not specific enough, has other meanings etc. It's sure subjective what people perceive as outright aggressive anyway... What you described wouldn't seem aggressive to me, just assertive. Maybe to more sensitive people *shrug*

What exactly is off putting about it?

I need to specify a few things first lol. Last night I was explaining this on my phone. Now that I'm at a laptop I can really explain.

Going back to the previous question about empathy I said that I don't feel what others are feeling, but I do know and care about it. What makes me say that is that sometimes I will utterly disregard other people's feelings outwardly, but inwardly I'm still aware of how they may be feeling. I'm hesitant to say that I'm an empathetic person because, despite the fact I that I can't be outright malicious toward someone, I am very adept (unfortunately) and being passively malicious without a second thought.

A common trend in my life is me being nice and friendly to people that I utterly despise out of fear of other people. Even if I don't really care as to how they feel, I still put up a facade of politeness. The issue with that is that over time, that polite mask disappears and I become extremely sarcastic, mean spirited, and irritable with people, which makes me think that connecting with others isn't something that I'm necessarily adept at. Sometimes I don't even bother trying to be polite, and I just come off as cold and indifferent. I care very much about other people's opinions of me, but at the end of the day those feelings still go back to me. I approach other people through a position of fear and mistrust.

I thought for a while that I had Fe as a creative, but my ability to connect with other people and take their feelings into consideration is extremely unstable. What's more is that at the end of the day I feel threatened by other people, which is why I try not to offend anyone outwardly.

As for my own feelings, no one really knows until it's too late, even myself. Even simple preferences like my opinion, I keep to myself. You asked for an example;

I few days ago a friend of mine was doing something that was deeply offensive to me, and I kept telling them to stop doing it. I thought that by hearing me tell them to stop that they'd somehow figure out that they were upsetting me. It didn't happen and I had to literally spell out to them how they upset me, and even when I did that it was in a pretty unemotional manner...my tone didn't even change. That's why I also find difficulty with people taking me seriously; I never really change my tone, so when I'm upset no one can tell, unless I get loud or something. This dips into my romantic life as well....I'll explain to a person that I like them, but I do it in a such a dry and sometimes verbose manner that they just don't seem to get it.

When it comes to Se feeling off putting, that goes back to myself feeling threatened by other people. When someone is assertive, it makes me think that they'll run over other people to get what they want, which I see as threatening. Simultaneously and paradoxically, I'm attracted to assertive girls :huh: