User Tag List

Default Question regarding on a tie between Enneagram types

Hi All,

A pleasure to meet you. I have been reading the forum from quite a while and I've decided to jump in today. I have the following question:

I have recently taken a full Enneagram test and these were my results:

-----
    The following numerical scores are calculated from your answers to the questionnaire.

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
    23 10 13 20 19 20 9 19 11

Your highest score was for Type 1.

Your second highest score was a tie between Type 6, Type 8, Type 5, Type 4.

----

Based on that I shall be a Type 1 (a Reformer), however, after reading Types 6 (A loyalist), 8 (a challenger), 5 (an investigator) and even 4 (an individualist), I have found myself confused. As I recognize myself in all of them, even when considering the good and bad traits. The difference between them all is no more than 4 points, which means that even between the first one and the other fours there is still not a remarkable difference. I based my life and check all my actions against a high set of virtues, priorities and ideals. I am loyal to the ones I care, I question everything I do and think, I also question my capabilities and skills every now and then, I have a knack to identify problems before they happen, I like challenges that take you to the limit and solve them with determination, I excel in careful research, methodic analysis of situations, I thrive on efficiency, etc.. and furthermore, I am a lone wolf, who has learned to rely on himself to get things done. I might rely in others if they have proved themselves trustworthy, or if they have set an example that I should follow, based on my ideals. As you can see, in the brief description of myself, I have kinda of condensed the main traits of each personality.

I could say that I tend to live up to a 1, work like a 6 and a 8 together. Solve issues like a 5 and a 4. I don't know what to make out of this. I tried to be very careful while answering all the 140 questions of the test, but the results are just ... I don't know how to say it.

If someone can shed more light unto this I'll really appreciate it.

P.S. I don't know if this means something, but I'm a INTJ.

Socionics
    ILI

You might identify with type 4 a lot if you've disintegrated several times as a 1.

Also, if you look at stereotypical descriptions of types rather than their motivations and fears, it'll be impossible for you to find an exact type.

1s fear being flawed, broken, or corrupt and are motivated to be perfect and morally sound.
    4s fear being normal, ordinary, and plain and are motivated to be unique and special.
    5s fear being unprepared for the real world and are motivated to hoard knowledge so that they can be prepared for the world.
    Phobic 6s fear potential dangers in the environment and are motivated to keep themselves safe.
    Counterphobic 6s fear potential dangers in the environment and are motivated to fight their fears to feel safe.
    8s fear being controlled or manipulated and are motivated to be independent and control their own life.

There are also things in the Enneagram called "wings" and a tritype. Wings are more specific personality breakdown by comparing your core type with its neighboring types.

If you are a core 1, then you can be a 1w2 or a 1w9. A 1w2 is more morally just and externally focused like a 2 while a 1w9 is more reserved and a bit less perfectionistic like a 9.

A tritype consists of a Head type (5,6,7), a Heart type (2,3,4), and a Gut type (8,9,1).

For instance, a 1w9 - 4w5 - 6w5 (in order of strength).

Also, your knack of identifying problems before they happen is indicative of the INTJ's dominant function, introverted intuition.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by johnnatandc View Post
    Based on that I shall be a Type 1 (a Reformer), however, after reading Types 6 (A loyalist), 8 (a challenger), 5 (an investigator) and even 4 (an individualist), I have found myself confused. As I recognize myself in all of them, even when considering the good and bad traits. The difference between them all is no more than 4 points, which means that even between the first one and the other fours there is still not a remarkable difference. I based my life and check all my actions against a high set of virtues, priorities and ideals. I am loyal to the ones I care, I question everything I do and think, I also question my capabilities and skills every now and then, I have a knack to identify problems before they happen, I like challenges that take you to the limit and solve them with determination, I excel in careful research, methodic analysis of situations, I thrive on efficiency, etc.. and furthermore, I am a lone wolf, who has learned to rely on himself to get things done. I might rely in others if they have proved themselves trustworthy, or if they have set an example that I should follow, based on my ideals. As you can see, in the brief description of myself, I have kinda of condensed the main traits of each personality.

I could say that I tend to live up to a 1, work like a 6 and a 8 together. Solve issues like a 5 and a 4. I don't know what to make out of this. I tried to be very careful while answering all the 140 questions of the test, but the results are just ... I don't know how to say it.
    I don't see type 4 in there. Some superego type instead.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Hello You sound 6w5 to me, just off the bat.

Alea gave a great breakdown, and I can throw in a few contrasts too. 1s and 6s are both strong superego, but 1s are far more decisive and tend to push their own knowledge while 6s are more skeptical and tend to check and double-check outside sources. 1 and 4 both share perfectionism and judgment, but 1 strongly represses feelings, while 4 strongly magnifies feelings. 1 and 5 share dry rationale, but 1s are movers and shakers and 5s are observers and theorists. 1 and 8 share self-confidence and pushing against others, but 8s are more protective and concerned about personal power while 1s are more principled and concerned about correctness and fairness.