• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My result doesn't sound right?

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
I didn't get the same "That is me!" spine-tingling response that I got for the MBTI. Are Ennegrams supposed to sound so... I dunno, vague? (Borderline wrong even?)

It said I was a 6, It seemed rather unfitting past the first paragraph (people readily trust you but you don't trust others). Though I do have fears (and a lot of them as it said) I neither confront or avoid them, I deal with them as they come, sometimes it's not so bad, other times it can be unpleasant but I'll live.:shrug:

My second option, 2 sounded closer, however I never demand love in return, nor have I ever thought I had the right to be loved, I see it as something that has to be given, not earned.:rly???:

The closer to the end I got the more I clicked "yes" (minus one or two per page), did I take the test wrong? Or was it just a "loose" internet one?
http://www.eclecticenergies.com/ <--------This is the site I used :D

And here's the yield:

Type 6 - 12.7
Type 2 - 12.7
Type 5 - 11.7
Type 4 - 11
Type 1 - 11
Type 9 - 10.7
Type 7 - 8
Type 3 - 7.3

Wing 6w5 - 18.6
Wing 2w1 - 18.2
Wing 5w6 - 18.1
Wing 1w2 - 17.4
Wing 5w4 - 17.2
Wing 4w5 - 16.9
Wing 6w7 - 16.7
Wing 2w3 - 16.4
Wing 1w9 - 16.4
Wing 9w1 - 16.2
Wing 4w3 - 14.7
Wing 7w6 - 14.4
Wing 3w2 - 13.7
Wing 9w8 - 12.9
Wing 3w4 - 12.8
Wing 7w8 - 10.2

Sooo, is it wrong, faulty or what? :S

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
F a test. Those things might be a good indicator of where to start looking, but start digging into some information and reading descriptions of all the types is a way better way to find your type. Feel free to bring any questions to the forum. People are willing to help, but ultimately you know you best :)

W

WhoCares

Enneagram tests are just a starting point, I type higher as a 1 on those tests because I have a sense of right and wrong but I lack the action orientation if a 1 and fit the description if a 5 much better. I believe I am a 5 because of what motivates and scares me. Read a variety of descriptions then decide for yourself. :newwink:

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you both! :) I'll see which is "more me" and when y'all know me a bit better I'll see if you think I chose right :) I really do love this place, everyone's so supportive! :happy0065:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Depending on what day of the week, I test as E7, E3, and E8. So... bleh... I had to do some research of my own to arrive at 8.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the best way is to determine your fear and motivation... when you know what drives you in life to do things you do, you can easily find your type, but I know it's hard to be sure about this. 6 is not just about fear and 2 is not just about love, what matters is what motivates them to avoid rejection/failure.... Would you say you know what do you want in your life? What do you want from people, or future? What are your goals? If you know them, why do you think you strive for them? What are you expectations?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Books. If you like to determine type by what gets a strong reaction from you (helped me, too), the most provocative enneagram texts I've read are Naranjo's Character and Neurosis, which takes a core pathological angle, and Riso and Huson's Personality Types, which exhaustively focuses levels of health and describes the types from healthy states downward in progression to the pits of madness. These are dark, especially the second because of its structure, but enneagram unlike MBTI is supposed to snag you by the flaws and the embarrassing memories.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My second option, 2 sounded closer, however I never demand love in return, nor have I ever thought I had the right to be loved, I see it as something that has to be given, not earned.:rly???:

I don't think 2's demand love explicitly. After all, they put others' needs in front of their own needs. So I'm not a type 2 but it seems logical to me that it also excludes explicit demanding of love. Maybe an unhealthy 2 disintegrating into 8 could be like that.

The same for "love has to be given, not earned"

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
the best way is to determine your fear and motivation... when you know what drives you in life to do things you do, you can easily find your type, but I know it's hard to be sure about this. 6 is not just about fear and 2 is not just about love, what matters is what motivates them to avoid rejection/failure.... Would you say you know what do you want in your life? What do you want from people, or future? What are your goals? If you know them, why do you think you strive for them? What are you expectations?

Hmm, I suppose my only real driving force to the future is having my own family, and the fear would be being alone forever. I also feel the compulsion to make others (even perfect strangers) happy at the cost of my own needs and wants. However I assumed these where universal traits applied to all people? :unsure:
[MENTION=16264]WhoCares[/MENTION] & [MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] , Thank you, this is very helpful! However I think my Super-Ego and my Ego are heavily intertwined, The only time I seem to have a true Ego function is at work, when I'm on auto-pilot, outside of work however I'm very undefended mentally. One stray insult towards me and I'm down. However I admit this might rather be an imbalance caused by over-taxing myself socially. :thinking:
The other questions however I have solid answers for, so I'll utilise them as a cross-reference with the enneagram, thanks! :D
[MENTION=17945]Misty[/MENTION] , Thanks for the book list! I'm reading Gifts Differing at the moment, and other books to help support my research is greatly appreciated!
Are they dark because they're invasive or because of the subject matter? I won't lie, things that take dark turns tend to upset me so I'd like to be ready for that possibility :blush:

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think 2's demand love explicitly. After all, they put others' needs in front of their own needs. So I'm not a type 2 but it seems logical to me that it also excludes explicit demanding of love. Maybe an unhealthy 2 disintegrating into 8 could be like that.

The same for "love has to be given, not earned"
I didn't see post until after mine (refresh)... Can you see my monitor!? :shock:

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I suppose my only real driving force to the future is having my own family, and the fear would be being alone forever. I also feel the compulsion to make others (even perfect strangers) happy at the cost of my own needs and wants. However I assumed these where universal traits applied to all people? :unsure:

That's quite type 2-ish really. Nope, these aren't universal traits. :) This is the fun in typology, you find out what you thought was natural for you and normal, doesn't actually apply to everyone to the same extent :D

However I think my Super-Ego and my Ego are heavily intertwined, The only time I seem to have a true Ego function is at work, when I'm on auto-pilot, outside of work however I'm very undefended mentally.

Which ego function would that be?

One stray insult towards me and I'm down.

:eek: That doesn't sound easy.

I didn't see post until after mine (refresh)... Can you see my monitor!? :shock:

Yes I can. ;p

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
http://typewatchenneagram.blogspot.com/

just found this little gem. pretty thorough enneagram info here. hope it helps :)

I only just discovered enneagrams (on my stalking of this site prior to joining), so I'm struggling to understand, what does sx/sp mean? Is there a source site, or basic/simplified explanation of this? :S
Thank you by the way, I'm keeping the tab open so I can read it properly, once I decipher it! XD

That's quite type 2-ish really. Nope, these aren't universal traits. :) This is the fun in typology, you find out what you thought was natural for you and normal, doesn't actually apply to everyone to the same extent :D
I find this subject fascinating! :D Jung and (and to a greater extent) Briggs Myers managed to break down personalities and traits into simple and accurate (IMO) categories on a sliding scale. Genius.

Which ego function would that be?
I'm not too well versed in Jung's Ego, Super-Ego, ID theory but from the passing knowledge I do have, it breaks down as:
ID: Inner Desire, or the "inner child" responsible for our wants and desires, often destructive in it's ambition, the Super-Ego keeps it reigned in.
Super-Ego: the middle man between the Ego and the ID, it's our morals and the rules we live by. It works to filter our destructive desires with compromise so we don't break laws or social etiquette. We aren't born with it, but rather develop it as we grow to understand the world.
Ego: A presentation of ourself how we want others to see us. Not necessarily who we really are but who we project to others. I think it also works as a defence for the internal world.
By this theory my Ego is what goes to work, it defends me from being hurt unintentionally by colleagues/customers who make remarks about my performance and competence etc. and projects to them a happy, somewhat boring and relatively "normal" individual. I'm not used to using it and only do so when I feel backed into a corner (I require income, yet I have to feign "confidence", "perkiness" and "rationality", Essentially a very polite Extrovert).
Out of work however, my desires are never destructive to others (to myself is another matter) thus there's no need to use an Ego, so my Super-Ego can safely come out and do it's thang. I am my rules and morals so an Ego isn't necessary in my personal life because I'm an open book. Interestingly I can't lie outside of a work environment. As far as I'm aware the Ego is also the constructor of lies soo....
What do you think? :sartre:

:eek: That doesn't sound easy.
I'm used to being hurt, so I just bottle it up and let it all out when I feel safe enough to. I wouldn't say it's easy, but I'm adaptive.

Yes I can. ;p
:shock: Rut-roh!

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
I found another site which had better descriptions: www.enneagraminstitute.com

I'm definitely a 2 by this site. Can I have both wings? One sounds like my academic self, the other sounds like my social self? One "trumps" the other slightly though. #No0b :D

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find this subject fascinating! :D Jung and (and to a greater extent) Briggs Myers managed to break down personalities and traits into simple and accurate (IMO) categories on a sliding scale. Genius.

Well thats a nice thing about it yes, you will see enneagram is a bit different, but it still can be seen as combinations of certain categories etc

I'm not too well versed in Jung's Ego, Super-Ego, ID theory but from the passing knowledge I do have, it breaks down as:

Yeah, my point was in enneagram these concepts are used as well, just a bit differently. But the concepts themselves are similar. I was wondering if you meant it in terms of having an ego type in enneagram. Type 2 is a superego type in enneagram but you can have two other types' motivations going on sometimes and those could be ego types. But I understand now what you meant lol

I'm used to being hurt, so I just bottle it up and let it all out when I feel safe enough to. I wouldn't say it's easy, but I'm adaptive.

I see...

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found another site which had better descriptions: www.enneagraminstitute.com

I'm definitely a 2 by this site. Can I have both wings? One sounds like my academic self, the other sounds like my social self? One "trumps" the other slightly though. #No0b :D

You could be balanced in your wings. Which one is slightly leading over the other? :p

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well thats a nice thing about it yes, you will see enneagram is a bit different, but it still can be seen as combinations of certain categories etc
So enneagrams are more about the "software" of the mind where MBTI is the "OS"? Or the other way around? :/

Yeah, my point was in enneagram these concepts are used as well, just a bit differently. But the concepts themselves are similar. I was wondering if you meant it in terms of having an ego type in enneagram. Type 2 is a superego type in enneagram but you can have two other types' motivations going on sometimes and those could be ego types. But I understand now what you meant lol
I see (I think), Does that mean they each correlate to the Ego and Super-Ego?

Bundle of joy ain't I? :newwink:

You could be balanced in your wings. Which one is slightly leading over the other? :p

1 Overshadows 3, but 3 may be down to the job I have, rather than my real self, I'm in a confusing place right now in that regard. :/

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So enneagrams are more about the "software" of the mind where MBTI is the "OS"? Or the other way around? :/

Maybe the other way around actually unless I misunderstand your analogy (I'm not sure what you meant by software, I assumed you meant software running in an OS). MBTI functions are pretty much tools for the psyche, even in Jung's theory. Enneagram talks about deep motivations and fears and defense mechanisms.

Though, it's a bit more complex than that. Some parts in MBTI and enneagram can be seen as overlapping, explaining the same way of thinking in different ways. And Jung and enneagram don't talk about unconscious in the same way. If you dig in the theory you'll see what I mean. :)

I see (I think), Does that mean they each correlate to the Ego and Super-Ego?

This is a good article on that: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/47315-freudian-theory-enneagram.html

Bundle of joy ain't I? :newwink:

o_O

1 Overshadows 3, but 3 may be down to the job I have, rather than my real self, I'm in a confusing place right now in that regard. :/

Kind of guessed 2w1 :)