User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Member empertet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    the best way is to determine your fear and motivation... when you know what drives you in life to do things you do, you can easily find your type, but I know it's hard to be sure about this. 6 is not just about fear and 2 is not just about love, what matters is what motivates them to avoid rejection/failure.... Would you say you know what do you want in your life? What do you want from people, or future? What are your goals? If you know them, why do you think you strive for them? What are you expectations?
    Hmm, I suppose my only real driving force to the future is having my own family, and the fear would be being alone forever. I also feel the compulsion to make others (even perfect strangers) happy at the cost of my own needs and wants. However I assumed these where universal traits applied to all people?
    @WhoCares & @Sanjuro , Thank you, this is very helpful! However I think my Super-Ego and my Ego are heavily intertwined, The only time I seem to have a true Ego function is at work, when I'm on auto-pilot, outside of work however I'm very undefended mentally. One stray insult towards me and I'm down. However I admit this might rather be an imbalance caused by over-taxing myself socially.
    The other questions however I have solid answers for, so I'll utilise them as a cross-reference with the enneagram, thanks!
    @Misty , Thanks for the book list! I'm reading Gifts Differing at the moment, and other books to help support my research is greatly appreciated!
    Are they dark because they're invasive or because of the subject matter? I won't lie, things that take dark turns tend to upset me so I'd like to be ready for that possibility
    I offer understanding, help and basic human decency, in exchange all I ask is to be accepted.

  2. #12
    Member empertet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    I don't think 2's demand love explicitly. After all, they put others' needs in front of their own needs. So I'm not a type 2 but it seems logical to me that it also excludes explicit demanding of love. Maybe an unhealthy 2 disintegrating into 8 could be like that.

    The same for "love has to be given, not earned"
    I didn't see post until after mine (refresh)... Can you see my monitor!?
    I offer understanding, help and basic human decency, in exchange all I ask is to be accepted.

  3. #13
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    http://typewatchenneagram.blogspot.com/

    just found this little gem. pretty thorough enneagram info here. hope it helps
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empertet View Post
    Hmm, I suppose my only real driving force to the future is having my own family, and the fear would be being alone forever. I also feel the compulsion to make others (even perfect strangers) happy at the cost of my own needs and wants. However I assumed these where universal traits applied to all people?
    That's quite type 2-ish really. Nope, these aren't universal traits. This is the fun in typology, you find out what you thought was natural for you and normal, doesn't actually apply to everyone to the same extent


    However I think my Super-Ego and my Ego are heavily intertwined, The only time I seem to have a true Ego function is at work, when I'm on auto-pilot, outside of work however I'm very undefended mentally.
    Which ego function would that be?


    One stray insult towards me and I'm down.
    :o That doesn't sound easy.


    Quote Originally Posted by empertet View Post
    I didn't see post until after mine (refresh)... Can you see my monitor!?
    Yes I can. ;p

  5. #15
    Member empertet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    http://typewatchenneagram.blogspot.com/

    just found this little gem. pretty thorough enneagram info here. hope it helps
    I only just discovered enneagrams (on my stalking of this site prior to joining), so I'm struggling to understand, what does sx/sp mean? Is there a source site, or basic/simplified explanation of this? :S
    Thank you by the way, I'm keeping the tab open so I can read it properly, once I decipher it! XD

    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    That's quite type 2-ish really. Nope, these aren't universal traits. This is the fun in typology, you find out what you thought was natural for you and normal, doesn't actually apply to everyone to the same extent
    I find this subject fascinating! Jung and (and to a greater extent) Briggs Myers managed to break down personalities and traits into simple and accurate (IMO) categories on a sliding scale. Genius.



    Which ego function would that be?
    I'm not too well versed in Jung's Ego, Super-Ego, ID theory but from the passing knowledge I do have, it breaks down as:
    ID: Inner Desire, or the "inner child" responsible for our wants and desires, often destructive in it's ambition, the Super-Ego keeps it reigned in.
    Super-Ego: the middle man between the Ego and the ID, it's our morals and the rules we live by. It works to filter our destructive desires with compromise so we don't break laws or social etiquette. We aren't born with it, but rather develop it as we grow to understand the world.
    Ego: A presentation of ourself how we want others to see us. Not necessarily who we really are but who we project to others. I think it also works as a defence for the internal world.
    By this theory my Ego is what goes to work, it defends me from being hurt unintentionally by colleagues/customers who make remarks about my performance and competence etc. and projects to them a happy, somewhat boring and relatively "normal" individual. I'm not used to using it and only do so when I feel backed into a corner (I require income, yet I have to feign "confidence", "perkiness" and "rationality", Essentially a very polite Extrovert).
    Out of work however, my desires are never destructive to others (to myself is another matter) thus there's no need to use an Ego, so my Super-Ego can safely come out and do it's thang. I am my rules and morals so an Ego isn't necessary in my personal life because I'm an open book. Interestingly I can't lie outside of a work environment. As far as I'm aware the Ego is also the constructor of lies soo....
    What do you think?

    :o That doesn't sound easy.
    I'm used to being hurt, so I just bottle it up and let it all out when I feel safe enough to. I wouldn't say it's easy, but I'm adaptive.



    Yes I can. ;p
    Rut-roh!
    I offer understanding, help and basic human decency, in exchange all I ask is to be accepted.

  6. #16
    Member empertet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I found another site which had better descriptions: www.enneagraminstitute.com

    I'm definitely a 2 by this site. Can I have both wings? One sounds like my academic self, the other sounds like my social self? One "trumps" the other slightly though. #No0b
    I offer understanding, help and basic human decency, in exchange all I ask is to be accepted.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empertet View Post
    I find this subject fascinating! Jung and (and to a greater extent) Briggs Myers managed to break down personalities and traits into simple and accurate (IMO) categories on a sliding scale. Genius.
    Well thats a nice thing about it yes, you will see enneagram is a bit different, but it still can be seen as combinations of certain categories etc


    I'm not too well versed in Jung's Ego, Super-Ego, ID theory but from the passing knowledge I do have, it breaks down as:
    Yeah, my point was in enneagram these concepts are used as well, just a bit differently. But the concepts themselves are similar. I was wondering if you meant it in terms of having an ego type in enneagram. Type 2 is a superego type in enneagram but you can have two other types' motivations going on sometimes and those could be ego types. But I understand now what you meant lol


    I'm used to being hurt, so I just bottle it up and let it all out when I feel safe enough to. I wouldn't say it's easy, but I'm adaptive.
    I see...

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empertet View Post
    I found another site which had better descriptions: www.enneagraminstitute.com

    I'm definitely a 2 by this site. Can I have both wings? One sounds like my academic self, the other sounds like my social self? One "trumps" the other slightly though. #No0b
    You could be balanced in your wings. Which one is slightly leading over the other? :p

  9. #19
    Member empertet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    Well thats a nice thing about it yes, you will see enneagram is a bit different, but it still can be seen as combinations of certain categories etc
    So enneagrams are more about the "software" of the mind where MBTI is the "OS"? Or the other way around? :/



    Yeah, my point was in enneagram these concepts are used as well, just a bit differently. But the concepts themselves are similar. I was wondering if you meant it in terms of having an ego type in enneagram. Type 2 is a superego type in enneagram but you can have two other types' motivations going on sometimes and those could be ego types. But I understand now what you meant lol
    I see (I think), Does that mean they each correlate to the Ego and Super-Ego?



    I see...
    Bundle of joy ain't I?

    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    You could be balanced in your wings. Which one is slightly leading over the other? :p
    1 Overshadows 3, but 3 may be down to the job I have, rather than my real self, I'm in a confusing place right now in that regard. :/
    I offer understanding, help and basic human decency, in exchange all I ask is to be accepted.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empertet View Post
    So enneagrams are more about the "software" of the mind where MBTI is the "OS"? Or the other way around? :/
    Maybe the other way around actually unless I misunderstand your analogy (I'm not sure what you meant by software, I assumed you meant software running in an OS). MBTI functions are pretty much tools for the psyche, even in Jung's theory. Enneagram talks about deep motivations and fears and defense mechanisms.

    Though, it's a bit more complex than that. Some parts in MBTI and enneagram can be seen as overlapping, explaining the same way of thinking in different ways. And Jung and enneagram don't talk about unconscious in the same way. If you dig in the theory you'll see what I mean.


    I see (I think), Does that mean they each correlate to the Ego and Super-Ego?
    This is a good article on that: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/...enneagram.html


    Bundle of joy ain't I?
    O_o


    1 Overshadows 3, but 3 may be down to the job I have, rather than my real self, I'm in a confusing place right now in that regard. :/
    Kind of guessed 2w1

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] My colleague doesn't ask me any questions!!!
    By sunray in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-17-2015, 09:01 PM
  2. ENTJ a 6 ? Sound Right?
    By Evolving Transparency in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 03:49 AM
  3. personality cafe function quiz/ my results
    By Risen in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 03:46 AM
  4. [MBTItm] My results, could someone explain it.
    By Rex in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 03:32 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO