• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could I really be a sensor?

lume

hello guys :) :hi:
First, I hope this will be my last thread, I hope Im not that annoying like I think I am right now, but I just want to figure my type out like I cant.
I think I nailed myself down to either INFP or ISxJ, there were several people here who believed that I have to be ISxJ, because I said that I had to take responsibility early in life and that I always found security in rules and laws. A few tough were believing Im INFP.
Maybe Im "just" a ISFJ, but I dont know if these things are typical sensor behaviour?

-I zone out a loooot, I cant focus, I zone out during school lessons, I zone out during watching films, its sooo difficult for me to be attentive. (But I just have this behaviour since 2 or 3 years or something, maybe thats a loop?)
-I have somewhat a great vocabulary and I always had, that I tend to withhold to not be viewed as a total freak, I write great formal texts, like argumentative essays or something.
-I always interprate way too much in someones behaviour, when in reality theyre just dumb. I can come up with 831803 theories about why that specific someone is acting that specific way
-As far as I can say this with 17, I think that Im somewhat good at understanding theories, but I can also remember details if I am able to focus and be attentive
-Im somewhat deep, with a rich inner life, which nobody really notices I guess. I get annoyed with the most people because they are alltogether shallow as fuck, just talking about clothes, make up, their ex boyfriends and their hair.

So I think I made it to narrow myself down to 3 types, I would reeeeally appreciate it if someone could help me to figure this out, and to help me getting peace ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't worry, many of us have taken a long time to figure out our types and still even waver later :)

Being an enneagram 6 easily accounts for taking responsibility early in life and finding security in rules and laws.

-I always interprate way too much in someones behaviour, when in reality theyre just dumb. I can come up with 831803 theories about why that specific someone is acting that specific way
-As far as I can say this with 17, I think that Im somewhat good at understanding theories, but I can also remember details if I am able to focus and be attentive

These two make me think you are N - if you are good naturally at understanding theories but have to try to remember detail. I am the same way; I remember theory automatically but have to be paying attention specifically to remember detail. An ISxJ is naturally attentive to detail and will not generally have to exert much effort to remember it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hello guys :) :hi:
First, I hope this will be my last thread, I hope Im not that annoying like I think I am right now, but I just want to figure my type out like I cant.

Aww, there's nothing annoying about you making a thread wondering about your type; think of all the people who make multiple threads about theirs!!! hahah lol

Maybe Im "just" a ISFJ, but I dont know if these things are typical sensor behaviour?

-I zone out a loooot, I cant focus, I zone out during school lessons, I zone out during watching films, its sooo difficult for me to be attentive. (But I just have this behaviour since 2 or 3 years or something, maybe thats a loop?)

I dunno about a loop in your case, only you could answer that, but I think most introverts are going to have a tendency to go into their heads, 'zone out', both sensing and intuitive ones. As, primary 'world' is inwards.

-I have somewhat a great vocabulary and I always had, that I tend to withhold to not be viewed as a total freak, I write great formal texts, like argumentative essays or something.

I imagine there are quite a few more intellectual ISxx's who have a larger vocabulary. Nothing says sensors can't have large vocabularies.

I don't know about this one, whether this is more typical of sensor or intuitive; however I can relate.

Both sensors and intuitives can grasp theories, and excel in school in more theoretical realms. I think intuitives more naturally reside in theory, and live and breathe it, whereas sensors tend not to. Also, sometimes I think it's interesting to ponder the idea of not-so-bright-intuitives - i.e., do you think those who aren't very intelligent, sensor and intuitive alike, are ever really going to grasp complex theories? Probably not. So I don't think comprehending theories - the ability to comprehend - is a good distinction for determining S vs N. I think it's better to focus on the nature of your mind when you're daydreaming, when you're talking to people, what you think about the most.

-Im somewhat deep, with a rich inner life, which nobody really notices I guess. I get annoyed with the most people because they are alltogether shallow as fuck, just talking about clothes, make up, their ex boyfriends and their hair.

I think I used to think this about myself, re. rich inner life, and I do consider myself 'deep' in some ways. However, I think that my inner world differs pretty significantly from INxx's, from what I've read on the forum over the years. Re. nobody noticing, well, no-one is going to 'notice' if you're keeping it all to yourself! I can relate to thinking most people are shallow; it was a big element of dissonance I experienced while in school. That, ultimately, ties into your personal values - what you find 'shallow' vs. not.

So I think I made it to narrow myself down to 3 types, I would reeeeally appreciate it if someone could help me to figure this out, and to help me getting peace ;)

I dunno enough about you to know your type, just thought I'd add my perspective re. the things you listed.

lume

to add sth., I was asked before whats going on inside my mind when Im daydreaming or zoning out, Im not able to tell everything because I just tend to forget it when Im "here" again. But they are mostly some thought triggered by words somebody mentioned, so I would say Im thinking sort of linear. I often find myself having song lyrics inside my head, Im making up scenarios sometimes, or just thinking about things which I cant tell because like I mentioned, tend to forget it.
I had people telling me Im a sensor because my thoughts are focusing on rather daily, normal things. I dont know..

I read a bit in forums, and I somehow couldnt really identify with the ISFJs here, cause that are like 3 people who are like the stereotypical ISFJ, loving tot ake care of others and cleaning and things a like.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think Ne > Se

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had people telling me Im a sensor because my thoughts are focusing on rather daily, normal things. I dont know..

What things are those?

lume

Im focusing much on appearance and just perfectionism in general. I can get overly insecure if my hair isnt washed daily, if my eyeliner isnt drawn perfect, if my clothes dont look good and things a like. (I care about appearance because then I feel better about myself, but I dont like to talk about things like this like most other girls) This year my grades really dropped -in my opinion- I was always an A student but now Im just writing Bs and Cs and I even had an F on a test, things like this are stuck in my head.
I reflect about emotions a lot, Im easily affected if something hurts me and then I begin to over dramaticise, seeing patterns in peoples behaviour which I think might not exist, but if I think or feel that someone is against me I see proof in every little sign. I tend to think a lot about things like this, if its real or if Im just making it up because Im hurt and overly sensitive.
I need to think a lot to know how I feel most of the time. Often Im just not sure how I feel about something. I get insecure if a fast emotional reaction is expected.

I often think about what Ill have to do the day or the week, I make lists in my head. I feel the need to plan something, if I buy someing and there are two sizes of the package (ist an example of buying stuff for my contactlenses, I dont know how to say it in english) and I just normally began calculating how much cheeper the bigger package would be per piece and how lonh I wont need to buy a new one. And I found myself doing this a lot lately.

Like I said, I cant really tell what Im thinking about if I zone out because I.tend to forget it. But I think this is some input which is not so bad.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im focusing much on appearance and just perfectionism in general. I can get overly insecure if my hair isnt washed daily, if my eyeliner isnt drawn perfect, if my clothes dont look good and things a like. (I care about appearance because then I feel better about myself, but I dont like to talk about things like this like most other girls)

I'm not trying to offend you....but why is it less shallow not talking about it? You don't have to answer that one heh.

Anyway interest in appearance doesn't have to be S but it could be, sure.

This year my grades really dropped -in my opinion- I was always an A student but now Im just writing Bs and Cs and I even had an F on a test, things like this are stuck in my head.
I reflect about emotions a lot, Im easily affected if something hurts me and then I begin to over dramaticise, seeing patterns in peoples behaviour which I think might not exist, but if I think or feel that someone is against me I see proof in every little sign. I tend to think a lot about things like this, if its real or if Im just making it up because Im hurt and overly sensitive.
I need to think a lot to know how I feel most of the time. Often Im just not sure how I feel about something. I get insecure if a fast emotional reaction is expected.

I often think about what Ill have to do the day or the week, I make lists in my head. I feel the need to plan something, if I buy someing and there are two sizes of the package (ist an example of buying stuff for my contactlenses, I dont know how to say it in english) and I just normally began calculating how much cheeper the bigger package would be per piece and how lonh I wont need to buy a new one. And I found myself doing this a lot lately.

Like I said, I cant really tell what Im thinking about if I zone out because I.tend to forget it. But I think this is some input which is not so bad.

There isn't really much S in this, maybe just a focus on Te. That doesn't mean you prefer Te over Fi, though.

I guess I'll stick with the INFP guess for you :) Or ISTJ for second? But I don't know you of course...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Both sensors and intuitives can grasp theories, and excel in school in more theoretical realms. I think intuitives more naturally reside in theory, and live and breathe it, whereas sensors tend not to. Also, sometimes I think it's interesting to ponder the idea of not-so-bright-intuitives - i.e., do you think those who aren't very intelligent, sensor and intuitive alike, are ever really going to grasp complex theories? Probably not. So I don't think comprehending theories - the ability to comprehend - is a good distinction for determining S vs N. I think it's better to focus on the nature of your mind when you're daydreaming, when you're talking to people, what you think about the most.

Nicely-worded explanation :yes:

Well, it's more complex than that. Sensors do tend to focus on more concrete, present issues than iNtuitives. They are often good with the "5 Ws": who, what, when, where, why. The present state of existence of things, the tangible facts of a situation. However, that does not necessarily translate into being interested in daily/normal things. My ISFJ loves politics and urban exploration; he can talk loops around me about government structure and function. My ISTP brother is barely out of high school and is already performing complex chemistry, and he explained to my mom and I yesterday in the car about how certain chemical reactions in prescription drugs can damage your heart through acidity levels corroding its tissue. The similarity in both cases is how they focus on what exists (or what has existed, especially in the case of SJs) and how it works.

iNtuitives on the other hand tend to focus more on vague and sweeping concepts, and tend to get lost in construction of theoretical models to get at those abstracts. We tend to focus on what could exist or what could become, and how all things are interrelated. But Ns can be plenty involved in "daily" life too - makeup is a hobby of mine for sure!

Like [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] explained well, it's really about what style of processing you tend to retreat to most when you're thinking. Try to focus on what you think about when you're alone, and how you approach concepts when you're learning. Do you tend to prefer learning the facts of a situation? Or do you tend to prefer a theoretical model? Which is more natural for you to start with?

Im focusing much on appearance and just perfectionism in general. I can get overly insecure if my hair isnt washed daily, if my eyeliner isnt drawn perfect, if my clothes dont look good and things a like. (I care about appearance because then I feel better about myself, but I dont like to talk about things like this like most other girls) This year my grades really dropped -in my opinion- I was always an A student but now Im just writing Bs and Cs and I even had an F on a test, things like this are stuck in my head.

Sorry about your grades! :hug: I don't think this kind of thinking is very indicative of N/S, just that you care a lot about your appearance and maybe are a little more anxious than most people.

This is very 6ish, I understand it! :) Probably F, too.

Introverts in general tend to dislike demand/expectation of quick reactions.

I think this is fairly normal. Like valaki said maybe a touch of Te.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverts in general tend to dislike demand/expectation of quick reactions.

Interesting, I like quick reacting if it's non verbal and especially if it doesn't involve people, I have a lot of trouble with it if it's supposed to be verbal involving people, is that I or E now? :)

EDIT: Actually, online I'm better with the verbal part too. Offline, terrible

Not nitpicking, genuinely curious

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting, I like quick reacting if it's non verbal and especially if it doesn't involve people, I have a lot of trouble with it if it's supposed to be verbal involving people, is that I or E now? :)

EDIT: Actually, online I'm better with the verbal part too. Offline, terrible

Not nitpicking, genuinely curious

Lol, you're fine.

As to your question, I'd guess that probably would correlate with ST, if anything? Maybe ISTP?

In general I have noticed all types of introverts saying they don't like an expectation of quick response, hence my above comment. But in each person's case, it could really have anything to do with a number of factors. Personally I don't like an expectation/demand of quick reaction if I'm going to be seriously judged on it (whereas I enjoy recreation activities that involve quick reaction) but for me I think that has to do with my enneatype - 6s like preparation time. That may be impacting [MENTION=20043]lume[/MENTION], too, though it sounds like for her it has more to do with a fairly long emotional response time.

B

brainheart

As [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] said, N doesn't equal smart. I'm actually an idiot at a lot of things (especially math, and organizing my time, and strategizing, and doing things in order, and being productive, and remembering what I did two hours ago). So what am I 'smart' at? I love philosophizing- thinking of all of the 'what-ifs', but not to find answers, just to explore them. I'm good at paying attention to what's inside of me and thereby knowing what matters to me, what I believe in. I'm good at knowing whether a situation or a sentence or the art I'm creating feels 'right' or 'wrong'. I'm good at noticing the innate value of every living thing and recognizing it/ honoring it. I'm also good at interpreting poetry and literature and films and art- but again, not to find the correct answer, but all of the possible interpretations, but most importantly, what it means to me. Every INFP I know personally would say something similar, and one is an e3, one is a e4, one is an e6, one is an e9.

What, [MENTION=20043]lume[/MENTION], are you 'smart'/ good at?

lume

Im really good at writing argumentative essays, and Im somewhat good at discussing. I can see a topic from many different views without even trying, we once had to read an article about a topic which I never understood before, I read the text and were able to put the issue in a nutshell. I had teachers telling me that I have good arguments, I often find good arguments for both sides.
Im also somewhat good in grasping theories, I dont know if its just because Im 17, and school isnt demanding that much, but I find myself studying half an hour for our chemistry exams and writing an A (chemistry is the only subject where I still have As btw), I had a B+ in maths altough I didnt pay attention in school, I learned for like 2 hours from the book. So Im somewhat good at theorethical things like this, even if I dont really like maths.
With history or geography its not that easy, I dont like to study, Im learning but zoning out all the time and performing rather bad on the exams. I can remember details if I want to, but it takes some effort which I dont like to invest.

Like I mentioned, I love making up theories, and I just do it automatically. I have a ENTP best friend and she comes up with a lot of weird questions, if Im in a good mood I like talking and discussing these things, but Im often in a mood where I just dont want to talk.
I somehow love discussing, if I dont have to feel insecure about what Im saying, if its in a surrounding where everybody respects each other. I just love bringing out multiple views, reflecting about issues and coming to several points together. If I know something I come across as rather confident I guess.

lume

Sorry I didnt say it like I meant it, the girls Im talking about are only talking about things like that, and maybe theyre gossiping. But thats all they talk about. I paid special attention to it and a girl from my school which was a friend of mine was never talking about anything else, and I watched this a month. So I think if someone can only talk about these things, that makes them shallow.

B

brainheart

The things that you mention that you like about yourself are how you are good at arguments and how you get good grades. This makes me think T over F for you. You are a little confusing because you seem to care about grades a lot, which seems more like J behavior (results) but you also seem to not care about grades enough to study a lot (more P behavior). And maybe you care about grades because you're a six? Or because your intelligence is important to you and to have bad grades makes you think maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are?

Yes, the whole liking to theorize thing leans toward N, but the thoughts you mentioned before were very practical (make up, cost of items).

I will put this out there- INTPs can often be quite sensitive. I think it's an inferior Fe thing, like they're not good at Fe so they're a little sensitive about it and sometimes try extra hard, or they have difficulty reading feelings so they feel a little lost about it. My INTP brother was a very sensitive, very emotional teenager. Not empathetic so much, but definitely touchy. As he's gotten older, he really pays attention to social niceties/cues. For example, we went on a hike recently and he didn't hear this woman who passed us say hi and he was really put off by it. I also have an INTP friend who gets sulky and offended if I don't call. And yes, he is a caring person. He does lots of nice, caring things for the people who matter to him.

My ISTJ dad is really sensitive too. He definitely takes things personally and gets really defensive. He's also caring, but he doesn't know how to express it well with words and physical affection.

lume

Yes, thats it. I fear being not intelligent, as Im always viewed as the smart kid and I kind of liked that. And I never really studied because Im way too lazy. I got my grades because Ive always done easy at school, but now a time started where I actually habe to do something and I just dont have enough time for myself or my interests or hobbies anymore and I fear being not viewed as smart anymore.

Maybe its because Im a teenager and a girl. And the reason why Im stating myself as emotional is mostly because I have my boyfriend now and hes just so great, hes the only one I can fully trust and I love him so much. Since I knew him I opened up to him and got very sensitive, probably because I have trusst issues.

If Im emotional, its mostly because I feel hurt or something. Its somehow bad to say but I dont really care for someone else, except like 2 people, but about them I care so deeply that if I feel that they are sad I just start crying.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, thats it. I fear being not intelligent, as Im always viewed as the smart kid and I kind of liked that. And I never really studied because Im way too lazy. I got my grades because Ive always done easy at school, but now a time started where I actually habe to do something and I just dont have enough time for myself or my interests or hobbies anymore and I fear being not viewed as smart anymore.

Maybe its because Im a teenager and a girl. And the reason why Im stating myself as emotional is mostly because I have my boyfriend now and hes just so great, hes the only one I can fully trust and I love him so much. Since I knew him I opened up to him and got very sensitive, probably because I have trusst issues.

If Im emotional, its mostly because I feel hurt or something. Its somehow bad to say but I dont really care for someone else, except like 2 people, but about them I care so deeply that if I feel that they are sad I just start crying.

What are your interests and hobbies?