• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"hands on" creative artists

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I didn't know how else to name this...I am asking mostly because of my friends, because most of them I typed as SFPs, but now I wonder...They all are actually some kind of artists, but they usually create hand made things like drawings, paintings, clothing etc...They have amazing ideas, that are novel, original and often funny. These people are really very creative, but as I said what they do, they do with their hands, that is why I thought sensing is the best fit, but now I kind of doubt it. How would type people like this? N or S?

B

brainheart

You could be describing me here and I'm an INFP. I think the best way to tell the difference is via conversation. That's really where you see the abstraction vs the concrete.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
As further discussed in this post, you're more likely to find INFPs than ISFPs in most "creative artist" categories, including "hands on" professions like photographers and fine artists.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As far as I'm aware, I have both N and S friends like that. I'll just list them for interest's sake...

- INFP, does mostly painting and graphic art, strange/dark themes usually
- ESFJ, very into crafts, paint, scrapbooking
- ESFP, does creative clothing, makeup, designs, sings and does theater
- ESTJ, makes & sells candles, lots of nature-based colors/flavors
- ISxP, buys, roasts & sells his own fair-trade coffee
- ENTP, into graphic design and interior design
- ISFP, handmade eco-friendly products, posters, owns a graphic art business
- ISFP, brews & sells his own beer, sells beer-making supplies
- ENFP, makes teaching materials for her elementary school classes
- ESFP, works in film production
- xSFJ, owns a photography business
- ENFP, clothing, design, painting, knitting
- IxFP, writes and makes videos
- ISFP, writes songs, plays guitar, sings, makes own clothes

Kinda all over the board. The only consistent difference I can even begin to note is that sometimes the Ns will have more of an idea they want to illustrate, while the Ss seem more into the process of it. But that last ENFP I listed is totally into the process of it and the ISFP who makes eco-friendly products usually uses her artistic skills to persuade people to be more environmentally friendly. So even that doesn't really hold.

I guess I should mention that when I'm not being lazy I draw and paint and I've done pottery, stained glass, dance, crocheting, the works... :p

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i love to braid hair and make bracelets and necklaces - anything with weaving/knotting string (not that fond of knitting actually, i like my hands to be in direct contact with the material)

i also love paper crafts, like i want to learn quilling, but i love anything that has to do with folding/cutting/gluing paper.

i also enjoy handwriting/calligraphy.

and working with clay, especially on a pottery wheel (i feel like dough falls into this category too)

i like playing with nail polish and makeup too. it can be fun to get intricate and play with colors/light/shadow.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think the act of someone enjoying more 'hands-on' creative endeavors can be pinpointed to S or N. I think what could be more useful would be to look at why they are doing it, and the subject matter / impetus of creation/philosophy behind it. For example, both an ISTJ and an ENFP could really enjoy painting. However, the approach the ISTJ would take would probably be pretty different from that of the ENFP.

two cents

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and very artistically inclined, crafty, and handy. I've had some classical drawing/painting training, and while I'm hardly amazing at it, I'm pretty damn good. Some of my drawing and painting is physical, some digital, some is a mix of the two. I like to try my hand at different crafts, and also just experiment with whatever materials I have at hand to create something. I've made things (either purely decorative or functional) with wood, clay, polymer clay/sculpting putties, wire, plaster, paper mache, felt, fabric, rope, precious metal clay, beads, chain, plastic, egg shell, resin, pre-manufactured glass/metal/wood/plastic components and miscellaneous found materials; I've also altered existing objects (dolls, clothes, footwear, etc) by reshaping and/or repainting. In addition, I'm pretty accomplished at McGyvering practical solutions to problems I run into, either fixes or creating objects to fit a particular need, from things for my car or bike to things for my house and garden, all very hands-on.

I'm generally very skeptical of trying to "type" creativity. Your creative impulses can be informed by any cognitive function you can name, and if you want to name some, I could probably do some research and point out an artwork that exemplifies that cognitive function. Also, I'm not aware of any MBTI type that confers some kind of disability that makes it impossible for a person to learn the physical skills necessary for either their preferred creative pursuit or any creative pursuit at all, thereby rendering them incapable of engaging in one or deriving pleasure/satisfaction/income from one.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I didn't know how else to name this...I am asking mostly because of my friends, because most of them I typed as SFPs, but now I wonder...They all are actually some kind of artists, but they usually create hand made things like drawings, paintings, clothing etc...

Your observations above are interesting, and there are some great replies to this thread already, so I'll try to not be duplicative. :happy:

SophiaDeep said:
They have amazing ideas, that are novel, original and often funny. These people are really very creative, but as I said what they do, they do with their hands, that is why I thought sensing is the best fit, but now I kind of doubt it. How would type people like this? N or S?

I think creativity manifests in many forms.

There is no doubt that what a person directs their creativity toward is in alignment with their cognitive preferences. The example that sticks out in my mind that I've learned here is how a given creative undertaking (in this case photography) is implemented by a Sensor (aka yours truly) as compared to iNtuitive friends of mine who also post picturees here from time to time. First, I'm a novice photographer, but I'm very aware of my surroundings, have a digital camera that helps me get the shots I want when I identify them, and I'm willing to put some effort into getting properly situated (e.g. climb atop a wall, drop to the ground and sprawl to get the angle I want, or hang off a railing if needed to get aligned as needed with my subject). My photos are often very direct, as in of a clearly chosen subject, some of them intentional when I take photos of projects I'm working on, or of my friends & family, but at times are of things I didn't anticipate seeing but was compelled to do whatever needed to get a photo of it (a sunset, an insect, a Ferrari, etc.) so I could share that moment with others.

However, two of this forum's amazing iNtuitive photographers and dear friends of mine, Red Herring and cascadeco have blown my mind with their AWSM photos for years. They both have mastered photography more than I can dream of doing, and have a huge capability of using their creativity to highlight the beauty and grace of their subjects with subtlety and insight. Thank you both for inspiring me! :hifive:

IMHO, the traits described above are what I've noticed as clear differences in the photographic styles of Sensors and iNtuitives.

:solidarity:

-Halla74

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your observations above are interesting, and there are some great replies to this thread already, so I'll try to not be duplicative. :happy:

I think creativity manifests in many forms.

There is no doubt that what a person directs their creativity toward is in alignment with their cognitive preferences. The example that sticks out in my mind that I've learned here is how a given creative undertaking (in this case photography) is implemented by a Sensor (aka yours truly) as compared to iNtuitive friends of mine who also post picturees here from time to time. First, I'm a novice photographer, but I'm very aware of my surroundings, have a digital camera that helps me get the shots I want when I identify them, and I'm willing to put some effort into getting properly situated (e.g. climb atop a wall, drop to the ground and sprawl to get the angle I want, or hang off a railing if needed to get aligned as needed with my subject). My photos are often very direct, as in of a clearly chosen subject, some of them intentional when I take photos of projects I'm working on, or of my friends & family, but at times are of things I didn't anticipate seeing but was compelled to do whatever needed to get a photo of it (a sunset, an insect, a Ferrari, etc.) so I could share that moment with others.

However, two of this forum's amazing iNtuitive photographers and dear friends of mine, Red Herring and cascadeco have blown my mind with their AWSM photos for years. They both have mastered photography more than I can dream of doing, and have a huge capability of using their creativity to highlight the beauty and grace of their subjects with subtlety and insight. Thank you both for inspiring me! :hifive:

IMHO, the traits described above are what I've noticed as clear differences in the photographic styles of Sensors and iNtuitives.

:solidarity:

-Halla74

yes, I know creativity can manifest itself in many different ways, and I as well think that a sensor's way of creating art is much more direct while the intuitive's work is more abstract, but it's hard to say when it comes to my friends.... They paint, or create things that are rarely concrete to some situations, they rather create things inspired from their minds and own creativity, which might sound more like N, but when I talk to them I've never noticed they would be interested in theories, or abstract/philosophical topics. They actually told me a lot of times before they hate subjects at their colleges involving theory, where they can't directly work on something which is pretty much a sensing statement.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yes, I know creativity can manifest itself in many different ways, and I as well think that a sensor's way of creating art is much more direct while the intuitive's work is more abstract, but it's hard to say when it comes to my friends....

Perhaps one or more of your friends is balanced, or near balanced on N/S? :thinking:
Or maybe their inferior functions are well developed?
People are all so unique, sometimes it's hard to differentiate a common gift/talent that many share based on a single criteria, at least it is for me, but I do wonder about such things when I notice them.

They paint, or create things that are rarely concrete to some situations, they rather create things inspired from their minds and own creativity, which might sound more like N,

Agreed, but as a kid I sketched and painted all kinds of things that were straight out of my imagination. But, I put just as much effort into building "models" (miniature representations of things built with simple precursors such as cardboard, wire, tape, wooden toothpicks/skewers, etc) of things that I was really interested in at the time, like castles or pyramids, and that type of stuff seems more Sensor-like to me. I think in my case it had alot to do with that was laying around that I could work with. :cheese:

...but when I talk to them I've never noticed they would be interested in theories, or abstract/philosophical topics. They actually told me a lot of times before they hate subjects at their colleges involving theory, where they can't directly work on something which is pretty much a sensing statement.

Very true, I have never been fond of theories. I'm very focused on making things happen, or become real. Designing a bookcase is fun for me, because I know that when the design is done, I get to build it. But, pondering on bookcase design without the joy of building one would be less fun for me.

With regard to school, it's possible your friends are simply more focused on other aspects of their life right now. That happened to me for a few years. It wasn't a bad thing, but it took me longer to finish college because I was thinking about and doing alot of other stuff for a few years.

Have any of your friends taken an MBTI assessment and shared the results with you? If not that might be one way to further determine which of them are Sensors/iNtuitives, and perhaps shed new light on their use of creativity. Your friends sound cool. Creative people are alot of fun to be around.

Have a great day!

:hifive:

-Halla74

B

brainheart

yes, I know creativity can manifest itself in many different ways, and I as well think that a sensor's way of creating art is much more direct while the intuitive's work is more abstract, but it's hard to say when it comes to my friends.... They paint, or create things that are rarely concrete to some situations, they rather create things inspired from their minds and own creativity, which might sound more like N, but when I talk to them I've never noticed they would be interested in theories, or abstract/philosophical topics. They actually told me a lot of times before they hate subjects at their colleges involving theory, where they can't directly work on something which is pretty much a sensing statement.

This sounds like my kid, an ISFP. That's why I said the part about what they like to talk about/ how they talk.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am good at these things but lack the patience to stick with them. I've come to the conclusion that mental visions are physically impossible to reproduce in full detail with just a pair of hands, and one has got to be at peace with that. I'm not. My ideal would be a machine that makes whatever you're thinking of just appear, but that would sap the weight of work ethic from the value of the creation, which means something to me. Or, "work" might be redefined by the machine's invention, but there's another thing...considering what's on my mind on a regular basis, having that wish granted would bite me and everyone within miles in the ass if I left the machine on by accident, especially overnight. Think Ghostbusters: "I couldn't help it! It just popped into my head!"

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As further discussed in this post, you're more likely to find INFPs than ISFPs in most "creative artist" categories, including "hands on" professions like photographers and fine artists.

That was an interesting post.

A few things I'd consider though....
- INFPs are more likely to be in the "gifted" or "high IQ" populations, which is perhaps why a higher percent end up in jobs which are more creative & less about task work. It would be interesting to see where ISFPs & INFPs of rather equal intelligence wind-up.
- Jobs don't reflect actual preferences or skills even. My ISFP step-dad is currently a janitor, but draws beautifully. He used to work as a cartoonist & creative director before the economy tanked. He does approach everything artistically, like a "craft" not a concept, from cooking to gardening, etc. You could argue he was for a time in a creative job, but he's had other periods where he did carpet cleaning or other janitorial-like work. He is not ambitious and far more complacent than me about his day-to-day work. Jung's Ne description paints someone who pursues opportunity, who is restless, whereas Se sounds more hedonistic. Which would be more driven to pursue a career in the arts? Who would be more content in a leisurely, simple life? It's pretty obvious an INFP would generally be more driven even if not more talented.
- My personal observation is that ISFPs are also less adept at seeing opportunities, so they don't as easily find ways to turn preferences & talents into paying work. INFPs also tend to be better at speaking, writing & academics & may be more at home in the educational institutions where they get the cred to become paid artists. This again, doesn't mean the ISFP doesn't have arty hobbies or talent.