• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Enneagram type? - I think I know my Freudian triad?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, but how I will dwell. Like I prior said, I'm more or less tied with 4 as my core type--this is one example of why and how. ;)

AH well that just shows my 4 isn't that strong. :p

Guess image triad is last for me anyway

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What kind of attachment?

Sorry I meant attachment vs rejection

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/articles/NArtObRel.asp#.UuSVoXOBqAg

I can relate to 9s up to a certain point, and I can try to be easy going like a 9, but the threat of rejection seems to win out and shake me up whenever I get too comfortable. I imagine 5s have a similar reaction where they must gain some new mastery or something.

9s feel fine in their comfort zones, like they don't feel that threat as strongly.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sooo, well, a summary so far

The types I relate to as possible core: 7 and 8

The types I relate to as possible fixes or whatever: 4, 5, 7, 8

Can I be a 4-5-7-8?! No? Why not? :cries:

Does anyone have questions or some way to figure out the tritype?

Instinctual variants are less of a problem, Sx/Sp I think but open to suggestions about Sp/Sx and Sx/So as well

Alea_iacta_est

Sooo, well, a summary so far

The types I relate to as possible core: 7 and 8

The types I relate to as possible fixes or whatever: 4, 5, 7, 8

Can I be a 4-5-7-8?! No? Why not? :cries:

Does anyone have questions or some way to figure out the tritype?

Instinctual variants are less of a problem, Sx/Sp I think but open to suggestions about Sp/Sx and Sx/So as well

5s have an incredible fear of not being prepared for life, an event, or something important and try to simulate it and plan it out in their mind beforehand through the acquisition of knowledge about the event so that they can be prepared.

7s are more likely to plan things out but have multiple plans that aren't as deep as the 5's so that they have breathing room to do what they want. Think of it like a Plan A-Z, where the 5 is usually going to have Plans A, B, and C. The 7 will have several, several unfinished but somewhat developed plans that they want to act on.

5: This is exactly how I want this situation to play out
7: This is a guideline to how I want the situation to play out, subject to change.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
5s have an incredible fear of not being prepared for life, an event, or something important and try to simulate it and plan it out in their mind beforehand through the acquisition of knowledge about the event so that they can be prepared.

I'm sure that would be true for a core 5. How about 5-fixed types (where core isn't the 5)?

7s are more likely to plan things out but have multiple plans that aren't as deep as the 5's so that they have breathing room to do what they want. Think of it like a Plan A-Z, where the 5 is usually going to have Plans A, B, and C. The 7 will have several, several unfinished but somewhat developed plans that they want to act on.

Umm if there's a need for it then I like good concrete and deep plans. It gives me a direction, knowing concretely how to get at something. This is true for more complex things. Often I just start without knowing shit though and it does result in a bit of feeling uncomfortable but once I started action, it doesn't stop me of course. It's just... a slight pain in the ass

Unfinished plans actually annoy me. It just makes me want to act on stuff even more even when I can't start yet (say for whatever reason you are forced to wait before acting). A solution to decrease impatience is fleshing out a more concrete plan until I can actually start on it

Does that make any sense?

I didn't understand the part about needing breathing room. I know that's related to the 7's core fear but just doesn't make a lot of sense to me at this point. I prefer having a specific direction I can go in.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
5: This is exactly how I want this situation to play out
7: This is a guideline to how I want the situation to play out, subject to change.

You and your tendency to edit posts after posting them :D (Sometimes happens to me too)

So, I can't choose here, I know I said I like having a concrete plan when something's complex, because it does soothe my mind to have one, but I'm adaptive in the process, that is, when in the midst of things, I will have no problem changing stuff depending on circumstances

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok well I edited my 1st post (#108) :p Do re-check if you already read it

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]

This is true of not just core types, I am now proven to be an 8, and I experience the aspect of the 5's need for a perfect plan that accounts for all of the variables. 5 and 7 are kind of closely related types, but very different in a way as well. A noticeable difference is that 5's, when stressed out, become flighty and disorganized in thought like a 7, while a 7, when stressed out, will begin criticizing others like a 1 and become a bit self-righteous perhaps.

5's ultimately fear (including fixes) that they aren't ready for the world, as they think the world is exceedingly dangerous and unforgiving.
7's ultimately fear (including fixes) that they aren't experiencing enough of the world. A contrast to the 5's pessimism about the world.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]

This is true of not just core types, I am now proven to be an 8, and I experience the aspect of the 5's need for a perfect plan that accounts for all of the variables. 5 and 7 are kind of closely related types, but very different in a way as well. A noticeable difference is that 5's, when stressed out, become flighty and disorganized in thought like a 7, while a 7, when stressed out, will begin criticizing others like a 1 and become a bit self-righteous perhaps.

5's ultimately fear (including fixes) that they aren't ready for the world, as they think the world is exceedingly dangerous and unforgiving.
7's ultimately fear (including fixes) that they aren't experiencing enough of the world. A contrast to the 5's pessimism about the world.

Oh wait, I don't need a "perfect plan", no. I just need to see a direction clearly, how to get somewhere, whenever the goal is not an immediate concrete one. If it's the latter kind of goal, I don't need any plan at all, I just get at it. :)

OK, when I get stressed out, I'm more flighty but I can stop that easily because I do not like being that way. I can be criticizing others in-the-moment out of anger, but that doesn't seem 1-ish to me. It's way too explosive and not static/consistent like the moral system of a 1.

I don't feel the world is that exceedingly dangerous, I am good at ignoring such stuff but I do have a feeling sometimes that I'm not "ready" for some things. It's sometimes hard to get over that but I do feel better when I throw that feeling aside. It's a pretty vague feeling really though. A vague feeling of "cluelessness" also. But I can be proud at this at times, that I start on things without having a clue and still get it sorted lol. At other times it's just crap

I do also feel I'm missing out on experiences. Like, I really enjoy a lot of moments, I'm easily in-the-moment but when nothing's happening I will inevitably get this feeling of discontentedness that my life is so drab and dull and a vague feeling along these lines "oh how can I make this better???". I never act on this feeling though. :eek:

See, I relate both to 5 and 7. Help! lol

PS: "proven to be an 8" lol, that was funny wording, I don't think these theories are that exact. If you just meant that you got the closest approximation of your type without a doubt, alright

Alea_iacta_est

Oh wait, I don't need a "perfect plan", no. I just need to see a direction clearly, how to get somewhere, whenever the goal is not an immediate concrete one. If it's the latter kind of goal, I don't need any plan at all, I just get at it. :)

OK, when I get stressed out, I'm more flighty but I can stop that easily because I do not like being that way. I can be criticizing others in-the-moment out of anger, but that doesn't seem 1-ish to me. It's way too explosive and not static/consistent like the moral system of a 1.

I don't feel the world is that exceedingly dangerous, I am good at ignoring such stuff but I do have a feeling sometimes that I'm not "ready" for some things. It's sometimes hard to get over that but I do feel better when I throw that feeling aside. It's a pretty vague feeling really though.

I do also feel I'm missing out on experiences. Like, I really enjoy a lot of moments, I'm easily in-the-moment but when nothing's happening I will inevitably get this feeling of discontentedness that my life is so drab and dull and a vague feeling along these lines "oh how can I make this better???". I never act on this feeling though. :eek:

See, I relate both to 5 and 7. Help! lol

PS: "proven to be an 8" lol, that was funny wording, I don't think these theories are that exact. If you just meant that you got the closest approximation of your type without a doubt, alright

I say "proven to be an 8" because it pretty much was me trying to prove my fucking type over the past 6 months, it was a long process with many different types XD.

7's also have an affixation to stoicism, they admire it in others. Stoicism being of course calmness under pressure and groundedness.

I might begin looking into 7 as more of your core type, perhaps a self preservation variant, one that seems contradictory of the 7 stereotype. Both 8's and 5's view the world as a dangerous place and go about different methods of dealing with it, the 8 sees the world as dangerous and has to protect his or her inner child/emotions/personality by being assertive and aggressive, and the 5 has to hoard knowledge so that they can feel safe when participating with the world. The restlessness you speak of points directly toward 7, perhaps you are an average health self-pres 7 slightly integrating to 5.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say "proven to be an 8" because it pretty much was me trying to prove my fucking type over the past 6 months, it was a long process with many different types XD.

Ah yeah I see...

7's also have an affixation to stoicism, they admire it in others. Stoicism being of course calmness under pressure and groundedness.

I don't care about admiring it in others, I'm stoic by default. Except when I'm angry haha

Why did you bring this up though?

I might begin looking into 7 as more of your core type

I have before but I just can't yet say that "yes I am more 7 than 8". I can't also say "yes I am totally 8 and no trace of 7". So, this is still a bit open, this question.

perhaps a self preservation variant, one that seems contradictory of the 7 stereotype.

I've been told I'm not Sp-first. I don't know. :p

Both 8's and 5's view the world as a dangerous place and go about different methods of dealing with it, the 8 sees the world as dangerous and has to protect his or her inner child/emotions/personality by being assertive and aggressive, and the 5 has to hoard knowledge so that they can feel safe when participating with the world. The restlessness you speak of points directly toward 7, perhaps you are an average health self-pres 7 slightly integrating to 5.

The thing is I said I prefer to deny/ignore the feeling of danger. I'm not quite sure if I actually constantly see the world as being very dangerous in some unconscious way. I'm really this adept at denying such fears. I am good though at protecting myself in a Sp sense. (I am not totally excluding Sp-first btw.) Quite honestly, I don't like doing it, I don't like focusing on the aspect of the danger being present itself, because it kind of makes me feel "less powerful". But I do deal with danger and it can be quite ok, the process itself, of fighting it :). I don't do this by hoarding knowledge though. Getting more knowledge on an issue is an afterthought always. I might be doing it while in the process of doing whatever. It does make me feel better to have knowledge overall.

Hey so what do you think about this?

As for restlessness, if you meant the thoughts about "dull life", I wouldn't call it outright restlessness. As I said, I never act on these thoughts. It's more wishful thinking really, but I'll forget about it fast. I don't really like such feelings, of course. But why would I not act on it? Or maybe I just don't notice myself acting on it? What do you think?

As for connection to 5, it really really doesn't make sense that it's integration unless you mean integration to low side of 5. That is, a negative way of integrating 5. I've always viewed 5 as a negative influence in my life. It goes against a lot of my default desires. ...Yet I sometimes can't help being a bit 5-ish. Sometimes it's not that bad. So I thought maybe it was my head fix after all and not just an integration/disintegration line/connection?

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not excluding 7 for core type, I prefer to be completely honest in analysing myself but I just can't decide atm. As said above :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh and this thing about "protect his or her inner child/emotions/personality by being assertive and aggressive", I will have to think about that more. My quite reactive nature might be connected to this but I have not thought deeply about this yet. Mind explaining this part more?

Alea_iacta_est

Ah yeah I see...

I don't care about admiring it in others, I'm stoic by default. Except when I'm angry haha

Why did you bring this up though?

I have before but I just can't yet say that "yes I am more 7 than 8". I can't also say "yes I am totally 8 and no trace of 7". So, this is still a bit open, this question.

I've been told I'm not Sp-first. I don't know. :p

The thing is I said I prefer to deny/ignore the feeling of danger. I'm not quite sure if I actually constantly see the world as being very dangerous in some unconscious way. I'm really this adept at denying such fears. I am good though at protecting myself in a Sp sense. (I am not totally excluding Sp-first btw.) Quite honestly, I don't like doing it, I don't like focusing on it, because it kind of makes me feel "less powerful". But I still do it when I need to and thus deal with danger. I don't do this by hoarding knowledge though. Getting more knowledge on an issue is an afterthought always. I might be doing it while in the process of doing whatever. It does make me feel better to have knowledge overall.

Hey so what do you think about this?

As for restlessness, if you meant the thoughts about "dull life", I wouldn't call it outright restlessness. As I said, I never act on these thoughts. It's more wishful thinking really, but I'll forget about it fast. I don't really like such feelings, of course.

As for connection to 5, it really really doesn't make sense that it's integration unless you mean integration to low side of 5. That is, a negative way of integrating 5. I've always viewed 5 as a negative influence in my life. It goes against a lot of my default desires.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not excluding 7 for core type, I prefer to be completely honest in analysing myself but I just can't decide atm. As said above :)

There's an average health level integration to 5 for non-stereotypical 7's, mostly sp variants.

I honestly have no idea what to do with this information right now, I need to disseminate it and make some predictions. Denying fears sounds 8-like but also has a sharp cp 6 edge to it, and that's completely throwing me off everything because I'm mostly sure you aren't a 6.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's an average health level integration to 5 for non-stereotypical 7's, mostly sp variants.

And what's that like?

I honestly have no idea what to do with this information right now, I need to disseminate it and make some predictions. Denying fears sounds 8-like but also has a sharp cp 6 edge to it, and that's completely throwing me off everything because I'm mostly sure you aren't a 6.

Alright let me know when you're ready to talk about your predictions :p

What was the cp6 edge to it?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]

Actually do re-read my post because I see you quoted the version that didn't have some lines added into it :) Maybe it'll be helpful. (The parts about the danger stuff and about the "restlessness" stuff)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw a post of yours in another thread :)

Let's try a better approach that will most likely figure this out quickly. The tritype system is supposed to be organized by how you cope with stress based on the Assertive (8,7,3, hence 873 is triple assertive), Withdrawing (4,5,9, hence 459 is triple withdrawing), and Complying Triads (1,2,6, hence 126 is triple complying).

So let's talk about my dealing with stress? :)

What kind of stress though... when it's something that I can get sorted, then that's not stress. :p

Now, if I can't do anything about the thing, I first just explode with anger, very frustrated. Depending on how big the issue is, it can be outright raging. Totally uninhibited, I don't care to repress and I wouldn't be able to anyway. If it's an issue that's going on for longer, I can secretly get into self-pity temporarily and I will admit that I enjoy that, the intensity of the emotions. I will become more reactive than usual as well and that says something because I'm pretty reactive by default. :p More angry, more impulsive, all that. Then, it's also happened that I just detached, felt nothing, ignored the issue, withdrew from everything and survived that way. I also learned some new knowledge in the process humm... I was sometimes also pretty passive, feeling like I didn't even have the energy to move my muscles, but such complete passivity luckily only lasted for a short time. Once in my life it also happened that I just focused on delving into certain things, er, call them sensations, a lot more, a lot more impulsively than ever and I was feeling pretty much myself, not stressed at all heh. Unfortunately it was pretty much an addiction. It worked pretty well to ignore the issue for a while but then I went back to the issue after all and confronted it and that felt great too as I finally saw a way out.

The 135, when faced with a problem/stress, would possess the first instinct of trying to compromise to settle the problem morally/ethically/justly (Type 1 compliance) and quickly so that it doesn't draw out. If the 1 coping mechanism fails, you switch to Type 3's coping mechanism of assertion. The 3 uses its vice of deceit to outwit/deceive/politic their way to victory fueled by the unconscious (Id) drive to win at all costs. If the 3 coping mechanism fails, you switch to Type 5's coping mechanism of withdrawing, which can either be literally in the form of leaving the problem altogether to keep yourself safe (5 fear of being unprepared) or 5's vice of Non-Attachment, which can manifest itself as a literal parting from emotion.

The first instinct of the 145 when faced with a problem/stress is the same as the 135 with the need for moral compromise and just decision-making by the 1. If that fails, however, then the 145 withdraws to protect its somewhat covered up sensitivity of the 4, which tries to work out its emotions or inversely heighten his or her negative emotions to help combat the stress (usually seen in a sx 4 or 4 with 8), and if that doesn't work it turns to the 5 and acts just the same as the 135 in the same state.

Meh I relate to the 4, not as first line strategy though. To the 5 as well. What would 7 and 8 look like?

Alea_iacta_est

I saw a post of yours in another thread :)

So let's talk about my dealing with stress? :)

What kind of stress though... when it's something that I can get sorted, then that's not stress. :p

Now, if I can't do anything about the thing, I first just explode with anger, very frustrated. Depending on how big the issue is, it can be outright raging. Totally uninhibited, I don't care to repress and I wouldn't be able to anyway. If it's an issue that's going on for longer, I can secretly get into self-pity temporarily and I will admit that I enjoy that, the intensity of the emotions. I will become more reactive than usual as well and that says something because I'm pretty reactive by default. :p More angry, more impulsive, all that. Then, it's also happened that I just detached, felt nothing, ignored the issue, withdrew from everything and survived that way. I also learned some new knowledge in the process humm... I was sometimes also pretty passive, feeling like I didn't even have the energy to move my muscles, but such complete passivity luckily only lasted for a short time. Once in my life it also happened that I just focused on delving into certain things, er, call them sensations, a lot more, a lot more impulsively than ever and I was feeling pretty much myself, not stressed at all heh. Unfortunately it was pretty much an addiction. It worked pretty well to ignore the issue for a while but then I went back to the issue after all and confronted it and that felt great too as I finally saw a way out.

Meh I relate to the 4, not as first line strategy though. To the 5 as well. What would 7 and 8 look like?

I'm just going to break apart the 8-4-7 because of its possible relevance in this situation.

The 8-4-7 is an unhealthy tritype due to the conflict of 8 and 4 together in a trifix, two opposing types, and the possession of 2 Id types and 1 Ego type, meaning that the Super-Ego is sometimes ignored and it manifests itself in the coping mechanism of assertive/withdrawing/assertive.

Initially, when the 8-4-7 is confronted with a problem/stress, the first instinct is to dominate and tackle the problem head on and aggressively due to 8's vice of lust and physical intensity, but if the 8 coping mechanism is proven to be ineffective, then the 847 switches over to the withdrawing attitude of 4 which will either try to temper the rage caused by Type 8 initially or emotionally charge the rage with brutal intensity to prepare for anyone or problem who dared tried to re-initiate conflict. If this proves unsuccessful, the 847 switches back to assertive in the form of the 7, which is marked by brutal criticism delivered by quick wit and utter straightforwardness, but at this stage the 7's criticisms will be much more physical due to being a last resort phase before entering the unhealthy dimension and possibly even violent if still charged with 4 and 8's paradoxical yet intense energy, impulsiveness gets bolstered by 8's aftershock of rage and causes the 847 to simply give in to unconscious impulses and fight tooth and nail.