User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 144

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    @Alea_iacta_est I'll post the questions separately so it's not TL;DR Thanks!

    1) Yes, 7w8 feels anxiety when they are held back from doing something, but they are also more aggressive than their 7w6 counterparts.
    Well ok that's weird to me, feeling anxiety in such a situation. Why do they feel anxious?

    2) This type is very outward focused. They must keep themselves involved with the external world in order to be relieve of stress and tension. Being alone and inactive causes anxiety.
    ...how does that differ from that fear of not wanting to be "cut off"? I understand that's another type's fear, or was that type 7 actually? (I know it couldn't have been the fear of 3 or 8)

  2. #12
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    @Alea_iacta_est I'll post the questions separately so it's not TL;DR Thanks!

    1) Yes, 7w8 feels anxiety when they are held back from doing something, but they are also more aggressive than their 7w6 counterparts.
    Well ok that's weird to me, feeling anxiety in such a situation. Why do they feel anxious?

    2) This type is very outward focused. They must keep themselves involved with the external world in order to be relieve of stress and tension. Being alone and inactive causes anxiety.
    ...how does that differ from that fear of not wanting to be "cut off"? I understand that's another type's fear, or was that type 7 actually? (I know it couldn't have been the fear of 3 or 8)
    The other one was Type 9, which has the fear of losing themselves (much more accurate than what I had written in my questionnaire, again, I need to fix it), be it by complete social isolation, or even the catatonic state they go into under high stress and unhealthy levels.

    I sort of lied about Type 9 being completely cut off from the rest of the world because I already knew you most likely weren't a type 9, I included the physical "cut-off" to see if my gander off into typing you as a 7 wing or 7w8 fix was on the right track. Type 7's ultimate fear is being held back, so in a way, physical barriers would prove to be extremely frightening to the 7. Type 8's, your core type, main fear is being manipulated, vulnerable, or weak.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    The other one was Type 9, which has the fear of losing themselves (much more accurate than what I had written in my questionnaire, again, I need to fix it), be it by complete social isolation, or even the catatonic state they go into under high stress and unhealthy levels.

    I sort of lied about Type 9 being completely cut off from the rest of the world because I already knew you most likely weren't a type 9, I included the physical "cut-off" to see if my gander off into typing you as a 7 wing or 7w8 fix was on the right track. Type 7's ultimate fear is being held back, so in a way, physical barriers would prove to be extremely frightening to the 7. Type 8's, your core type, main fear is being manipulated, vulnerable, or weak.
    Ah hehe I see :p

    Can you say more about why 7's are afraid of being held back? Held back from whatever they'd like/want to do? I'm trying to understand that type more.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    I read a site on these types...

    Interesting:

    "The fascination is rooted in a fear of boredom. The fast pace is rooted in a deeper unacknowledged fear that life is dull, slow and insipid. The penalty in every style is that the more we flee, the sooner we run up against what we are running from. So with an initial fascination, if the Seven doesn't persevere, she finds little satisfaction, because of lack of depth. Without depth, life is boring."

    I do like to feel alive with certain things, is that related to seeing life as dull? Though to me the sense of aliveness comes from persevering, if I was to just give up I wouldn't feel satisfied at all. My solution to that isn't to jump to another thing but to keep doing what I'm involved with. Is that particularly hard for a 7 to do? I never in my life had any problem keeping my focus. I can be fast paced but staying focused. If I were to keep fast pace by jumping around, I wouldn't feel very good at all. I wouldn't feel I'm in a so called secure point - which is what Enneagram is about, right?


    "Eights, unless they have an unusually strong connection to Five, focus their attention outwardly. They like their power physical, not mental or artistic, so football suits them well."

    That is interesting about Five; I do like to focus outwardly, but sometimes - yes when things are dull - I can focus inwardly temporarily. And power to me can be mental just as much as physical; I'm tired or in pain but I keep going, that to me is mental focus because it's not something I do with my body "directly". It's just willpower. Perhaps I'm wrong in calling it mental though? I don't have any thoughts in this state, I'm just focused on the task or whatever I'm doing. So when does power count as mental? If playing a sport (yeah football is fine too ), I have the same kind of focus there as well.

    What I call physical power is literally physical power, it just takes confidence to have that and exert it, in a sense... but I would of course be more strong physically if I did serious strength training

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    @Alea_iacta_est

    Still want to understand both type 7 and in that context, 8 vs 7 (differences) too. I feel I'm somewhere between 7 and 8, though 8 makes more sense, yes.

    Soo, can you say more about why 7's are afraid of being held back? Held back from whatever they'd like/want to do?

    ...Is it like the stuff I read about how they - if have nothing to keep busy with - will get bored and notice their emptiness inside and that for some reason is intolerable to a 7? I do notice such a thing sometimes but I don't get anxious over it. It just feels like a low energy level, somewhat uncomfortable in the sense of it not being pleasant or I'm just bored with it, but I don't get nervous. It's just an empty state, emotionless, dispassionate, calm, even, with an empty mind and a low-ish energy level (but sort of ready, can be mobilized easily if there's something). This is what's a dull experience to me and it's because of that much better if I get to feel "alive" being involved with whatever or by feeling anger or other intense stuff. If I keep busy with mental things after a while I notice that it's still draining and low energy in a sense though I can get some satisfaction out of mental stuff at times, like the feeling of being inspired etc. So it can energize me at times after all.

    So how does a 7 feel and react to this state? For them being busy all day with mental stuff isn't draining right?


    I did a test just now, found it pretty good and it all makes sense;

    The Distribution of Your Scores
    Type One: 8
    Type Two: 10
    Type Three: 28
    Type Four: 16
    Type Five: 23
    Type Six: 13
    Type Seven: 36
    Type Eight: 49
    Type Nine: 13

    Your main type is 8.
    Considering the wings you should be a 8w7.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Another thing, if anyone reads this: How is Se type 7 different from Ne type 7? I assume the latter is more mentally active, but how does an ESxP 7 not live in the present? 7 is about all being about the future and planning for it, escaping to it, right?

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Found an interesting site about enneagram misindentifications (same site with the test)... I'm going to analyse myself by comparing 7 to 8, I want to understand my type better. Yes, this is about checking that I didn't mistype, didn't misunderstand the types and my own tendencies. Pretty much every other enneagram type is excluded for my typing, though. Just this 7 vs 8 is a bit of a conundrum still.

    If anyone has comments, feel free to post, e.g. if I misunderstood any concepts or answer the couple of questions here, etc


    8 and 7

    Mistyping frequency: sometimes (usually 7w8 mistype as 8s)

    Eight vs Seven


    Seek intensity vs Seek variety ...I seek both. I haven't thought about the exact priority, can anyone ask me specific questions to help me determine?

    Want control vs Want freedom ...I want both. I haven't thought about the exact priority, can anyone ask me specific questions to help me determine?

    Physical energy vs Nervous energy ...If physical energy is when I do physical things, anything involving doing/moving, and if nervous energy means being able to solve mental tasks and being inspired by mental activity then I again can say I'm both, I can have high energy levels for both. Though I would say physical energy was first, I developed my mind more later in life if that makes sense... though I did have mental activities as a kid too, just less easily inspired or how to put that.

    Hard-working vs Playful ...Both! Fun can come from the hard working too.

    Focused vs Scattered ...The first word pair where it's easier to choose. I'll say first, I hate being scattered, I don't feel good that way. I like focus. With certain specific tasks (simple physical stuff), I can sometimes try multitasking as a fun challenge and that's still a focused way of doing the job. If I'm browsing online, I hate having too many open tabs so I don't. Also, I don't have too many interests being active in the same time period because I focus into one of them deep and the rest just isn't interesting. However, I will change to a new interest later, after a long-ish time period, after having done a lot with previous interest. This switching happens unconsciously, I notice after the fact.

    Conscientious vs Irresponsible ...I am both. I take some things in life really seriously so I'm conscientious with those and I enjoy self-discipline in working for goals, OTOH I can have a problem with self-discipline in living life in general and I'm not really strongly morally principled so I'm irresponsible too..

    Realist vs Optimist ...Both :p I don't believe BS rose coloured glasses stuff, I'm simply incapable of doing that and disinterested in viewing things in that light and I notice the negative in situations easily, glass was always half empty for me :/ compelling me to refill the glass, of course :P. But I'm optimistic in terms of not thinking of failure, so when I go refill the glass, I don't stop thinking "what if I can't" and I'm trusting in future in general and I like to encourage and inspire others.

    Gain power vs Have fun ...Gain what kind of power exactly, that's vague to me. ??? But I'll use a concrete example, in sport I want to be more powerful&strong, my concept of having fun in a sport really only comes from that or directly from competition. I don't play sports just to "have fun" in a light way. So, is that a good example? Otoh, I don't work hard to gain social powers as I'm not really part of society that much :/ so I'm just having fun with my life in that sense. Still, I have gained some material powers and am proud of that. What's then the difference between Sp power, Sx power and So power if viewing this from the instinctual variants?

    Authoritarian vs Egalitarian ...I like the egalitarian view in theory. I'm not sure about how I go about it in practice. The only thing that comes to mind now, I can be pretty authoritarian in telling my opinion and get surprised if others take it the bad way.

    Vengeful vs Tolerant ...I can be both. Obviously not at the same time :p I can take a lot of shit if I decide to, from friends; of course I don't let anyone take advantage of me - friend or not - but I am otherwise really tolerant with their issues. As for being explicitly vengeful, it's usually immediate small things on the spot, I have never sat brooding and concocting a great plan to take real crazy revenge on someone. I guess I didn't need to either. But this is why I don't think of myself as that vengeful. But then it might be because of my black and white thinking about these concepts so I don't notice the "small things" I mentioned (only after much conscious attention).

  8. #18
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Alright. Easy way to tell whether you are 7w8 or 8w7 core.

    When something important doesn't go the way you planned it to, do you get more anxious or do you get more angry?

    On a side note: You are probably getting closer to the Forer Effect and enter the realm of mistyping with me.

  9. #19
    Blind Guardian Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    With the way you talk about yourself I would say not 8, and probably not 7 either.
    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    Found an interesting site about enneagram misindentifications


    Hard-working vs Playful ...Both! Fun can come from the hard working too.

    Focused vs Scattered ...The first word pair where it's easier to choose. I'll say first, I hate being scattered, I don't feel good that way. I like focus. With certain specific tasks (simple physical stuff), I can sometimes try multitasking as a fun challenge and that's still a focused way of doing the job. If I'm browsing online, I hate having too many open tabs so I don't. Also, I don't have too many interests being active in the same time period because I focus into one of them deep and the rest just isn't interesting. However, I will change to a new interest later, after a long-ish time period, after having done a lot with previous interest. This switching happens unconsciously, I notice after the fact.

    Conscientious vs Irresponsible ...I am both. I take some things in life really seriously so I'm conscientious with those and I enjoy self-discipline in working for goals, OTOH I can have a problem with self-discipline in living life in general and I'm not really strongly morally principled so I'm irresponsible too..

    Realist vs Optimist ...Both :p I don't believe BS rose coloured glasses stuff, I'm simply incapable of doing that and disinterested in viewing things in that light and I notice the negative in situations easily, glass was always half empty for me :/ compelling me to refill the glass, of course :P. But I'm optimistic in terms of not thinking of failure, so when I go refill the glass, I don't stop thinking "what if I can't" and I'm trusting in future in general and I like to encourage and inspire others.

    Gain power vs Have fun ...Gain what kind of power exactly, that's vague to me. ??? But I'll use a concrete example, in sport I want to be more powerful&strong, my concept of having fun in a sport really only comes from that or directly from competition. I don't play sports just to "have fun" in a light way. So, is that a good example? Otoh, I don't work hard to gain social powers as I'm not really part of society that much :/ so I'm just having fun with my life in that sense. Still, I have gained some material powers and am proud of that. What's then the difference between Sp power, Sx power and So power if viewing this from the instinctual variants?

    Authoritarian vs Egalitarian ...I like the egalitarian view in theory. I'm not sure about how I go about it in practice. The only thing that comes to mind now, I can be pretty authoritarian in telling my opinion and get surprised if others take it the bad way.

    Vengeful vs Tolerant ...I can be both. Obviously not at the same time :p I can take a lot of shit if I decide to, from friends; of course I don't let anyone take advantage of me - friend or not - but I am otherwise really tolerant with their issues. As for being explicitly vengeful, it's usually immediate small things on the spot, I have never sat brooding and concocting a great plan to take real crazy revenge on someone. I guess I didn't need to either. But this is why I don't think of myself as that vengeful. But then it might be because of my black and white thinking about these concepts so I don't notice the "small things" I mentioned (only after much conscious attention).
    ...

    I can't understand people who open up so easily and submit themselves to others emotionally.

    to me the sense of aliveness comes from persevering, if I was to just give up I wouldn't feel satisfied at all. My solution to that isn't to jump to another thing but to keep doing what I'm involved with.

    Could you expand on the things I marked bold? I grabbed stuff from earlier posts too.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Alright. Easy way to tell whether you are 7w8 or 8w7 core.

    When something important doesn't go the way you planned it to, do you get more anxious or do you get more angry?

    On a side note: You are probably getting closer to the Forer Effect and enter the realm of mistyping with me.
    I get angry. But can you tell me what kind of anxiety 7w8 feels in this case? Do they notice their own anxiety and why in the first place do they feel it? I mean, that doesn't make a lot of sense, getting anxious about it.

    Side note: I think I know what you mean... I have seen the Forer Effect before, I'm trying to avoid it. Do let me know if you think I'm doing anything of that sort though


    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    With the way you talk about yourself I would say not 8, and probably not 7 either.
    What way is that? Do elaborate please. Thanks.

    Do you have another type in mind?


    I don't have too many interests being active in the same time period because I focus into one of them deep and the rest just isn't interesting.
    Well it's like, I just enjoy being this way. Do ask specific questions if something is unclear about this.


    I can have a problem with self-discipline in living life in general and I'm not really strongly morally principled.
    Well say, I decide to get up at the same time everyday. In practice that's hard to execute.

    As for the moral principles: I just don't have a consciously built up system about moral ideals that I would keep to.

    Example: friend says he never went to exams unprepared because he respected his teachers and thought they didn't deserve such treatment, that is, him as a student going unprepared, so he studied for the exams out of a principle. I studied for the exams not because of such a principle but because I wanted to pass the exams. I didn't care about the teachers at all in this sense. It's actually a foreign idea to me to do something just because someone else would be pleased or out of some feeling of obligation whatnot. None of that's me at all.


    I like to encourage and inspire others.
    Well "inspire" was maybe a strong word because I'm not quite sure how I would go about actually inspiring someone, but if someone talks about their plans or if they have an issue to solve, I do encourage them.

    Hm, inspiration, maybe it was when I was excited about something and others liked the passion and got interested too.


    I have gained some material powers and am proud of that.
    I meant I like to own material things. I feel good having them. Possessive of my stuff. That actually includes some people to an extent


    I can't understand people who open up so easily and submit themselves to others emotionally.
    Well I don't understand it because I'm definitely not this way. I really don't need to be rejected. Example, if I'm interested in someone, I don't put myself out there easily in an emotional sense, I don't expect things to be that great automatically. And if things don't go well, I'm not going to stand there crying in desperate sadness. As I said, this isn't even a conscious decision, there's this block inside protecting me from such shit. I'm sorry if I can't explain this very well. Do ask more specific questions please, then maybe I can explain better.


    to me the sense of aliveness comes from persevering, if I was to just give up I wouldn't feel satisfied at all. My solution to that isn't to jump to another thing but to keep doing what I'm involved with.
    I meant, challenges => feeling of aliveness I'm not saying it can't be frustrating if things don't want to work out easily.

    This persevering thing also ties into liking to have a focus and having one deep interest at a time.

Similar Threads

  1. gusy what do you think or know my type is?
    By chado in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM
  2. I think I know my type but am unsure
    By BrightEyes in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  3. Hi, do you think you know my type?
    By lalaland in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
  4. [ISTJ] My fellow ISTJs - What's your enneagram type?
    By NewEra in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
  5. My enneagram type
    By Sunshine in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO