• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram type? 7, 6 other? Instinctual variants? Help appreciated!

jenhetlee

Okay, I stole some questions from somewhere and answered them. On most tests I seem to score as a 7 but I just wanted to see what some other opinions were! I'm also unsure on what my wing would be and the order of my instinctual variants, so I would appreciate some help on that as well. I'm thinking 6w7 is a possibly as well.

Prerequisites

What age range are you in? I'm 18!

Any disorders or conditions we should know about? Nope!

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.

I don't feel as if I've actually stopped to think about it... I just do the things. I would probably say I'm driven by the chance to try out different things. I don't particularly have a realistic goal but I would like to have one.

2. What were you like as a kid?

I was pretty care free, I ate alot, was pretty chubby. In primary school I was a good kid who just got on with his work, kind of enjoying it, but got bullied by some of the older children. I was oblivious to most social things going on around me whilst at school and instead played video games, card games, but still had friends to play football and other things with. I read a lot of books.

I faked being ill so I could go home. I faked being ill so I could stay at home. Overall happy when I wasn't at school.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?

In the past and present my parents argue. Not as much now, but I remember it when I was younger. I didn't see my Dad most of the time as he was at work and being an only child I was just left to doing things. After being ill and being put on a pension, I see more of my Dad, he tries to talk to me about his problems. I didn't really have any boundaries put on me so I was left to my own thing. They both tend to now talk to me about their problems and I'm just in and out of the house. I've given up with trying to stop the arguments.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?

I think sobriety is an important value for me. No matter how many bad experiences I have whilst drinking, or attempting to meet more people or attempting to meet possible partners I never stop. I always regret decisions made, but I can't turn down the next opportunity to try and pursue experiences. I struggle with being serious. I wish I could be, and could maintain values for myself to keep bad things out of my life. I want to avoid being someone who is uninteresting, boring, a cliché.

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?

No.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?

I don't really know... Fun?

b.) How do you want others to see you?

I don't know. They can see me how they like I guess. I enjoy dressing in Hawaiian shirts.

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?

Accepting their social lives as their actual lives. I hate all the drama.
I hate bullying towards vulnerable people.

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others.
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else.

1: b, 2: c, 3: a.

If by personal gain it means having fun then switch 2 and 3.

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this?

'Hey, you should really do this. That would be great. Think, you could actually get good marks. You could go to travelling at some point in life. *imagines scenarios, distracted* You really need to get everything together instead of going out and getting drunk or playing games.'

My though process triggered by being on my own and not engaged in anything.

9. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

The best is when I've accomplished something, done something well which I value highly. The best is when I've let myself down by messing something up.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:

a.) anger

When something or someone is in the way of something, or I have made a mistake. It's usually sudden and over quickly and replaced with being quiet.

b.) shame

Other people can't make me feel shame, I only feel shame when I make a mistake which I determine to be negative.

c.) anxiety

I'm not anxious most of the time. I get nerves before performances or gigs, but that is natural, I can't say I'm a particularly anxious person.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:

a.) stress

Irritable, visibly more intense.

b.) negative unexpected change

At first angry, but it usually ends with me trying to see the best in the situation.

c.) conflict

I'm not really bothered by it, most of the time I'm easy going, but I usually react pretty suddenly, sometimes pushing buttons.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?

The role which I find the most fun.

b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?

I attempt to be organized and serious but I make sure everyone is having a good time.

c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?

Only if I disagree with how the authority is being used or it impacts me negatively.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

I like to think I can see potential in some people.

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.

I don't really know.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?

Nope.

Extra Questions

Which of the following temptations do you find yourself acting upon the most? (And briefly state why)

- To constantly push yourself to be “the best”

If only.

- To be without needs, well-intentioned

Nope.

- To replace direct experience with concepts

No.

- To have an extreme sense of personal moral obligation

Extreme? No.

- To think that fulfilment is somewhere else

Yup, always trying new things to find that fulfilment.

- To cyclically become indecisive and seek others for reassurance

Not often, I only seek the advice on major decisions from people whose opinion I trust.

- To overuse imagination in searching for yourself

Yeah, I try to see myself doing different things.

- To avoid conflicts and asserting yourself

No.

Alea_iacta_est

I say 7w6, you are pretty much the epitome of the 7, and you don't seem as loud and extroverted as the 7w8.

Do you know much about the enneagram? Because if not, I can use a quick little 2 question test to figure out your type pretty accurately.

jenhetlee

[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]

Thanks for the reply! I don't know very much about the enneagram, only the basics. The two questions sound good!

Alea_iacta_est

Here are the questions:

Which of these do you consider your biggest fear?
Being cut off (from everything)
Being held back from doing something, no freedom
Being betrayed by those you trust
Being emotionally vulnerable (or physically)
Being insignificant and ordinary
Being incapable, mentally or physically
Being unimportant, being worthless
Being unloved
Being amoral, lacking good judgement

Which of these do you want the most?
To be valuable and important
To feel loved
To be unique and individual
To be ethical and have integrity
To be supported and guided
To be in a peaceful frame of mind and life
To be protected
To be competent and capable
To be content and happy with what you have

jenhetlee

Which of these do you consider your biggest fear?
Being cut off (from everything) - Unless this is specified as being cut off through having lack of senses
Being held back from doing something, no freedom
Being betrayed by those you trust
Being emotionally vulnerable (or physically)
Being insignificant and ordinary
Being incapable, mentally or physically
Being unimportant, being worthless
Being unloved
Being amoral, lacking good judgement

Which of these do you want the most?
To be valuable and important
To feel loved
To be unique and individual
To be ethical and have integrity
To be supported and guided
To be in a peaceful frame of mind and life
To be protected
To be competent and capable
To be content and happy with what you have

Alea_iacta_est

How intriguing, you selected the Type 8 basic fear and the Type 5 basic desire. To be sure that this isn't skewed, would you answer these 2 questions?

Which of these shapes your personality the most?
Greed
Gluttony
Pride
Anger
Fear (phobias and mild paranoia)
Deceit
Assertion/Aggression
Sloth (laziness)
Envy

Which of these do you admire in other people and strive to be yourself?
Serenity
Taking Action/Assertion
Courage
Self-sufficiency
Humility
Emotional Balance
Innocence
Focus, clear-mindedness
Truth-telling/Authenticity

jenhetlee

I could add explanations if you think that would help!

Which of these shapes your personality the most?
Greed
Gluttony
Pride
Anger
Fear (phobias and mild paranoia)
Deceit
Assertion/Aggression
Sloth (laziness)
Envy

Which of these do you admire in other people and strive to be yourself?
Serenity
Taking Action/Assertion
Courage
Self-sufficiency
Humility
Emotional Balance
Innocence Had trouble deciding between this and Focus
Focus, clear-mindedness
Truth-telling/Authenticity

Alea_iacta_est

Interesting, the 7's downfall is Gluttony, and the 8 desire in others is innocence.
It seems you are actually a 7w8, or perhaps you are an 8w7 with a 5 fix that tones down the 8 extroverted aggression.

jenhetlee

That is very interesting, is there something I can look into to learn about the 'fix' part?

Alea_iacta_est

That is very interesting, is there something I can look into to learn about the 'fix' part?

You could look at tritype descriptions, but those might lead you astray sometimes if you don't approach them with an unbiased stance.
There really isn't much about each of the different fixes, but I'm leaning strongly with you being a 8w7 - 5w? - and possibly a 3w? because of your absolute love of achieving something (I assume rather than the work to get there) and the prestige that accompanies it.