• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or INFP?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I'm having some trouble due to the fact my personality seemed to change drastically when I was young due to bullying and depression, which I'm now over. I used to be very cheerful and a bit of a pushover, but grew kind of distant from people and more into ideas. It's hard to tell if this was natural development or was altered in some way.
Oh, if you think something other than INFP/INTP, feel free to suggest it.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I guess happiness, but as that's a generic answer that's not going to help you, I'll elaborate. I want to be able to do things I like, things like writing, thinking, reading, learning languages and so on. I would like to get better at bonding with people as I find it very difficult to break down the invisible social barriers that exist even if I'm particularly fond of someone. I think this has led to me 'losing' people, in the sense they don't really know me and I can't explain myself to them.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
When I was writing my first story. I stayed in over New Year's instead of going out with friends and wrote more than I ever had before. Looking back, it was awful, but at the time I was so happy at being able to complete 50,000 words. Well, either that or during the end of my A-levels, when I was doing very well in English lit and was having fun writing the essays, aced the exam and got on well with my teacher, who has been the only teacher to ever encourage me to do extra work because she knew I loved what I was doing.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Trying to be close to people. I somehow seem to attract people and they tend to like me despite my not knowing what I'm doing to achieve that, but I've only got one really close friend who doesn't exactly take the time to try and understand me. She's got a guy who she likes, so she's obviously having her time taken up with that. I guess also suddenly finding myself left out of something or not understanding something everyone else is talking about - for example, this morning my friends were all discussing relationships they'd had and I couldn't say anything due to never having had one.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I weigh up the good and bad in the situation, plus how long it would take me to do it. I don't like expending a lot of energy on things I don't have to/am not interested in. For example, when my friends have invited me out to pubs and stuff I weighed up how stressed I would get vs how much I wanted to see them and generally the not going option won out.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I like to have a general idea and see how it develops. With things like writing I enjoy twists appearing where I didn't think there would be any, although I've had to re-write some stuff on occasion thanks to new developments. I like the outcome to be something good, but consider everything a learning experience. When I was depressed I was way more self-critical though.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
When I went to Centre Parcs with some friends and had enough time to do my own thing at my own pace, but also got to try out some fencing, which I've never had the chance to do before. I liked being able to go slowly around everything. When I think back, it seems kind of hazy.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I tend to read a lot of theory around the subject. I can spend hours reading up on different people's opinions and tips for things like writing and psychology.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
I'm organised in the sense I've managed to work around myself. I have a messy desk, but I pretty much know where everything is. I also never forget homework because i put it straight into my notebook. I do tend to procrastinate by doing tasks I want to do rather than the ones I need to.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I tend to look at all the information around it and see if it makes sense and if the theory works. I don't really believe anything unless there are lots of people agreeing over it and even then I know everything is changeable so what's fact now may not be later. With ideas that aren't factual, I tend to like thinking about them.

11) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I can end up thinking so much before speaking that the speaking kind of never happens and I end up missing out or forget what I was going to say. I prefer one-on-one talks so I can actually get into it more. If I'm in a group, I don't talk so much, or break away with one other person.

12) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I also don't do much acting but tend to watch. I've got a bit better with it recently, but it's hard to just go for things when I'm aware of the consequences. I think actions speak more than words because you can say a lot but it's a lot harder to do it. It shows your conviction.

13) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Say no, but they should go have fun. I'd definitely stay in.

14) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get kind of down and can end up over-working myself. I tend to wear myself out with stressing about doing well and completing certain tasks. I can end up getting snappy at people.

15) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I don't like rude, unimaginative people who can't see anything other than their own opinion and way of life. Also people who force their opinions on others or cause harm. Selfishness is also really annoying.

16) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
My interests and stuff they like, so I can get a better read of them and work them out. I like discusing the theory behind writing or talking about classifications for mental illnesses and mbti and things like that.

17) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
Keeping things neat and tidy, because it takes too much time to neaten things all the time. I also try to avoid large amounts of admin work unless I have to do it. Physical appearence too, I think.

18) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I get called serious by some friends, laid-back by others, always something like smart or mature. I've been called unusual too. I don't think I'm as smart or mature as they think, seeing as I can end up hiding a lot of stuff that bothers me and let it build up. I'm also not great at talking about private things. I think they'd never say I was mean or rude.

19) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Get up late and lie in bed for a while, then get breakfast and play a videogame or read. I might go for a walk around where I live or possibly see a film at the cinema. Probably spend a chunk of the evening writing and reading with my cat.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Care to elaborate? I'm not seeing it myself, but you may have a convincing argument.
(I just went and looked at a few sources online and the Fe stuff just isn't there... I really don't go out my way for people ever.)

W

WALMART

Care to elaborate? I'm not seeing it myself, but you may have a convincing argument.
(I just went and looked at a few sources online and the Fe stuff just isn't there... I really don't go out my way for people ever.)

you just seem so esfj

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

you just seem so esfj

giggle.gif

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You just seem so INFP from the get-go.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
INFP. SO INFP. You want me to elaborate now, don't you? How about a question instead. Why is it that you aren't offended easily, do you think?

W

WALMART

:doh: I didn't realise you were joking.

I wasn't wholly joking. I've found it rewarding for myself to research all aspects of the theory with equal fervor, so I attempt to impart a bit of intellectual curiosity by doing these "false" typings.

tine5

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wasn't wholly joking. I've found it rewarding for myself to research all aspects of the theory with equal fervor, so I attempt to impart a bit of intellectual curiosity by doing these "false" typings.
How does that work?
(Like your avatar by the way!)

W

WALMART

Cowboy Bebop is awesome!

Seed?

inception-14.jpg

Yeah, man. Cowboy Bebop is the shit. I still haven't finished the series, always felt like I could keep the spirit alive forever by not watching.

Hm. Haven't had much an interest in that film, but I should check it out.

tine5

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, man. Cowboy Bebop is the shit. I still haven't finished the series, always felt like I could keep the spirit alive forever by not watching.

Hm. Haven't had much an interest in that film, but I should check it out.

Me neither, got about halfway, but going to watch the rest before the new year!
Oh you'd probably like it if you like the idea of planting ideas and also nice visuals!

W

WALMART

Me neither, got about halfway, but going to watch the rest before the new year!
Oh you'd probably like it if you like the idea of planting ideas and also nice visuals!

Yes. I'm waiting for both seasons on Blu-Ray, sometime in 2014 I hear...

I like nice visuals. And planting ideas. Practically made for me.

tine5

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. I'm waiting for both seasons on Blu-Ray, sometime in 2014 I hear...

I like nice visuals. And planting ideas. Practically made for me.

Definitely a must watch for you then! I personally enjoyed it a lot! (Will now stop being off topic here).

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFP. SO INFP. You want me to elaborate now, don't you? How about a question instead. Why is it that you aren't offended easily, do you think?
Hm, I guess I think everyone's entitled to their opinion and probably saw something I didn't, so I tend to take everything into consideration. I beat myself up about stuff, but it would be hard for people to get to me, probably due to getting used to it throughout school.

I've studied dominant Fe types a fair amount over the last couple of months because I thought my sister might be one. At one point I vaguely considered it, then read it through again and laughed at how much it didn't sound like me. I try to keep things equal between me and others, so I don't feel indebted to them, but I tend to forget things that make good hosts, like my sister always offers drinks when my friends arrive whereas I don't even think about it. She also goes out of her way to help others out with their work or life, whereas I'll give them some advice but I leave it at that. I'm not good at comforting people.

I've searched http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html and found nothing about INFPs being sensitive.
Hm, I've seen comments like these before:
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFP_per.html
May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
May perceive criticism where none was intended

http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/INFP
A word or act that another type might brush off can be damaging to a soft-hearted INFP. By the same token, criticism should be approached with particular gentleness and consideration.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hm, I guess I think everyone's entitled to their opinion and probably saw something I didn't, so I tend to take everything into consideration. I beat myself up about stuff, but it would be hard for people to get to me, probably due to getting used to it throughout school.

That just clinches the INFP more to me.

For instance, by contrast, a NT is less likely to be offended because they aren't offended by someone telling the truth (if they're right) or think people are friggen idiots (if they're wrong) so their opinions don't matter.