Thread: INTP or INFP?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tsumatachi_san View Post
    Hm, I guess I think everyone's entitled to their opinion and probably saw something I didn't, so I tend to take everything into consideration. I beat myself up about stuff, but it would be hard for people to get to me, probably due to getting used to it throughout school.

I've studied dominant Fe types a fair amount over the last couple of months because I thought my sister might be one. At one point I vaguely considered it, then read it through again and laughed at how much it didn't sound like me. I try to keep things equal between me and others, so I don't feel indebted to them, but I tend to forget things that make good hosts, like my sister always offers drinks when my friends arrive whereas I don't even think about it. She also goes out of her way to help others out with their work or life, whereas I'll give them some advice but I leave it at that. I'm not good at comforting people.

Hm, I've seen comments like these before:
    http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFP_per.html
    "May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
    May perceive criticism where none was intended "
    All I see is "may" this and "may" that.

Doesn't that kind of language remind you of astrology? It does me.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    That just clinches the INFP more to me.

For instance, by contrast, a NT is less likely to be offended because they aren't offended by someone telling the truth (if they're right) or think people are friggen idiots (if they're wrong) so their opinions don't matter.
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure NTs get offended, but as you said are less likely to. What would cause an NT to get offended? Being constantly told their wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    All I see is "may" this and "may" that.

Doesn't that kind of language remind you of astrology? It does me.
    Haha, true, but then a lot of type descriptions do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    594 so/sx

I don't have much to add, and I'm not an expert on MBTI. But I'm an INFP, and you seem to be a lot like me in quite a few ways. I also have 9w1 in my tritype, though I'm pretty sure I'm a 5w4 first.

I can be a very logical person, but I expect everyone to have something to contribute. I want to hear criticism and assimilate others' ideas into my own knowledge. I'm more concerned with finding the truth than with apportioning credit or blame. Occasionally criticism can hit me personally, but most of the time I take it very well and dispassionately.

Years ago I tested as an INTP, but now I consistently test INFP. At first I didn't want to agree with it, because I value logic and T sounds so much more logical. How important are your values to you? For me, I've realized that logic is one of my values, because I value truth, authenticity, and intellectual curiosity. Are there some values that are very important to you?

I'm going out on a limb here, because I don't really understand the cognitive processes yet, but the way you write sounds more F than T to me. I would suspect and INTP would form a more detailed outline of what they're writing rather than letting it come to them as they go. Other forum posters, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd actually lean towards that outline method myself, but then again I'd probably not finish the outline because I didn't feel like I had anything creative enough to make the project worthwhile.

MBTI
    INTp

I haven't been really paying that much attention, but it seems to me that almost all the posters that can't figure out their types turn out to be NFs.

It's like there should be a MBTI help FAQ entry: If you are unsure of your type, consider yourself an NF and work from there.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Cantus Firmus View Post
    I don't have much to add, and I'm not an expert on MBTI. But I'm an INFP, and you seem to be a lot like me in quite a few ways. I also have 9w1 in my tritype, though I'm pretty sure I'm a 5w4 first.

I can be a very logical person, but I expect everyone to have something to contribute. I want to hear criticism and assimilate others' ideas into my own knowledge. I'm more concerned with finding the truth than with apportioning credit or blame. Occasionally criticism can hit me personally, but most of the time I take it very well and dispassionately.

Years ago I tested as an INTP, but now I consistently test INFP. At first I didn't want to agree with it, because I value logic and T sounds so much more logical. How important are your values to you? For me, I've realized that logic is one of my values, because I value truth, authenticity, and intellectual curiosity. Are there some values that are very important to you?

I'm going out on a limb here, because I don't really understand the cognitive processes yet, but the way you write sounds more F than T to me. I would suspect and INTP would form a more detailed outline of what they're writing rather than letting it come to them as they go. Other forum posters, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd actually lean towards that outline method myself, but then again I'd probably not finish the outline because I didn't feel like I had anything creative enough to make the project worthwhile.
    That's a good example, thank you. Hm, I think my values are pretty self-orientated. I mean, I expect things from others, but I expect a lot more from myself. For example, some of my values are: to always try my best, to push myself and so develop, to reach certain goals, to keep an open mind to avoid making mistakes or cutting out the potentially correct. From others, I expect: a certain level of care for others/the world, lack of ignorance or at least receptivity to other ideas, to not complain then do nothing.

I think I tend to describe things or put things 'clinically' according to my friends. I sum things up if I'm not interested in them so I don't have to focus on them any more, but if I am interested, I'll explore every angle to see if it fits. I do outline now, but more with a general and very flexible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    I haven't been really paying that much attention, but it seems to me that almost all the posters that can't figure out their types turn out to be NFs.

It's like there should be a MBTI help FAQ entry: If you are unsure of your type, consider yourself an NF and work from there.
    Haha, possibly. I've heard if you're unsure it's more likely you use Ne somewhere, as that seems to be the ultimate doubting function.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    594 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post

Maybe it's an NF thing. I certainly am incredibly comfortable with saying "I don't know." I use caveats in almost all of my statements, and I think one reason people really trust my expertise is because I'm always quick to point out how much I'm sure of and how much is speculation. If I have insufficient data to come to a conclusion, then my stance is that I haven't decided yet. Once I finally decide something, it's based on sound data and logic, and I'm not going to change my mind without significant new information.

So if that's a typical NF (or INFP) mindset, then that's why we stay unsure of our type for so long. Some types may be more inclined to pick the first thing that seems right and go with it. I suspect NTs have a similar desire to find the right answer, but are less comfortable admitting that they don't know. Again (here's the caveat), this is just speculation.
    5w4 9w1 4w5
    "Some pithy saying that exemplifies my type, though it border on cliché."

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Cantus Firmus View Post
    Maybe it's an NF thing. I certainly am incredibly comfortable with saying "I don't know." I use caveats in almost all of my statements, and I think one reason people really trust my expertise is because I'm always quick to point out how much I'm sure of and how much is speculation. If I have insufficient data to come to a conclusion, then my stance is that I haven't decided yet. Once I finally decide something, it's based on sound data and logic, and I'm not going to change my mind without significant new information.
    That's just sound analysis. I think the main reason so few people do this is we live in predominantly SJ world where projections of certainty and confidence are valued above accuracy. So it's common to bullshit you know everything when nothing is further from the truth. Personally, I admire people who can clearly state what they are sure of and what they are not.

On the personality front however, no one is going to be more of an expert on "you" than you. So it would seem with some introspection one could come to a firm conclusion. Maybe it was easy for me since I am strongly T, and it seems to me that it is that F-T divide that trips people up. So I'm subscribing the doubt to an F thing. I think there is perhaps a misconception you can't be a rational thinker and F at the same time, which isn't true, but I think this misconseption leads some of the more analytical F's to deny their F-ishness.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Just wanted to revive this thread thanks to posting the questionnaire on another forum and getting a very different response:
    You are interested in exploring the theory behind certain subjects, correct? An INTP, at least from my general knowledge, is interested in thoroughly understanding an idea or concept as much as possible. In other words, you desire objective truth. You want to explore a theory, keep modifying something to fit your current framework or model, until everything seems to make sense.

Somewhere in your post, you also mentioned something about preferring to observe your environment and watch how situations unfold, in direct contrast of acting now and planning ahead. Postponing something to continue the process of gathering information, in other words.

These traits are, if I am not mistaken, characteristic of an INTP.
    How would you respond to this?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Fi over Ti
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Fi over Ti
    I'm going to be incredibly annoying and ask why.