Thread: INTP or ENTP?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Default INTP or ENTP?

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts directly this time around...

After like...2 years of believing entirely that I must be an INTP, I've recently started to wonder if this is actually the case, and I don't know how others have decided their place on the E vs. I continuum.

Throughout school I could never find my niche, so I resorted to turning inward and valuing my alone time, as it was the only time where I could fully invest myself in my interests, as I had no one else to share them with. But when I was much younger, I was not so inward-focused. I would go up and talk to all sorts of strangers (great at taking my parents advice, huh?), and I'd always have like 80 different projects going on based off all my interests...I'd be painting a picture, making up some English notebook for my cousin and dancing around the house being way-too-hyper in front of my mom all in the same day.

I'm wondering if that turning inward throughout high school was not true introversion but rather a detour of sorts? Because now that I'm in college, I find that rather than keeping to myself, I prefer to talk to those around me and make connections with people. I initiate conversations 70% of the time. I still am very socially anxious, and certain situations do drain me - discussions with extremely opinionated people, and discussions about extremely day-to-day topics - but I get depressed faster after too many days with little social contact than I used to. Plus my Fe score is pretty high...not higher than Ne or Ti of course, but it's up there.

I've tried to use the enneagram to help me out, but as I've questioned by MBTI type, so I've begun to question my enneagram ! I thought I was a 5, but I doubt it now. Certain descriptions make me veer towards 6 and 7. Basically I know I'm in the anxiety triad. ANXIETY! But that's it.

Any ideas?

I think you sound like a balanced introvert, especially when you factor in your high Fe making you more people-focused.

I'm much happier and energetic now that I've been working on balancing toward extraversion. I enjoy interacting with people. But, I'm still an I.

MBTI
    ENTP

actually you sound similar to me in the development history type of thing. Quiet and solitary at school, I was, too. I thought for the longest time that I was an introvert too. But then later I came really outta my shell and just increasingly realized that the ENTP profile was much more me than INTP. I think the 'false introversion' was really down to just awkwardness, lack of confidence really in dealing with people, fear - more than anything to do with genuinely wanting to be alone a lot. Whenever I was alone, looking back, I did feel lonely and bored and wished I had a big load of friends to go out with all the time. And I WAS willing to sacrifice my alone time to do that. I just didn't know how to, and when I tried, it didn't go right.

The thought's occurred to me that ENTP's, being so strongly extraverted due to Ne, are bound to have a rough time of it because of Ti being the backup. ENFP's wouldn't find it so hard, I imagine, having that F advantage with people, so they're more easily able (or learn quicker) to present their Ne craziness in a way that people like and feel affection for. Whilst I think ENTP's lack that advantage, and probably just come through as crazy 'in a bad way' until we get older and the T mellows out a bit.

I'm pretty sure I've seen on a lot of ENTP profiles that we have great difficulty with fitting in and stuff as kids, teens and young adults. I think they say we don't really stop being jerks until we're in our 30's. I'm 31 and still waiting... heheh

Actually it was an 'ENTP at work' profile that really kicked me into realising I've always been an E. Cos work was where I was confident (knew the job very well, no doubts about that), I was less held back by that lack of confidence and behaved at work much more ENTP-ish than I did elsewhere. Reading that and thinking on it really brought it home to me that what I wanted to do wasn't to become a more healthy INTP - attempts to do so had failed and I never felt it was really 'me' - but to just learn to be able to be the confident, happy me that I was at work, everywhere else, and as I began to let myself out elsewhere, I found that the 'self' I was being, that I discovered, gradually filled in more of the 'blocks' on the ENTP general profile as I went.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    But when I was much younger, I was not so inward-focused. I would go up and talk to all sorts of strangers (great at taking my parents advice, huh?), and I'd always have like 80 different projects going on based off all my interests...I'd be painting a picture, making up some English notebook for my cousin and dancing around the house being way-too-hyper in front of my mom all in the same day.
    Yo.

From what I've read, childhood patterns are usually more indicative of introversion/extraversion than adult behaviors. It's like when we're young the personality is more "pure" and we don't have any learned introverted or extraverted mechanisms.

There are exceptions, however.

My advice is to learn the difference between Ne/Ti and Ti/Ne. There's quite a bit of subtleties in there.

If you think the cognitive functions are nonsense, you can try reading Keirsey and try to figure out if you fit into the "Inventor" (ENTP) or "Architect" (INTP) role variant. Despite what people say, there's not a perfect correlation between classical MBTI and Keirsey's temperament theory, so you can be one type in one system and another in the other.

If you have any questions, ask!
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENTP

I dunno Nemo. Sometimes kids who are a bit different get picked on and bullied a lot, and their behaviour is heavily distorted by the need to survive through that ("if I just stay away from people and be quiet and don't draw attention to myself when I have to be near people, then hopefully they'll leave me alone and not be mean to me"). It can be that it's not until they grow up and outgrow the negative and inhibiting effects of being bullied or put down for being different, and to accept and like their difference, that they begin to come out of their shell.

And if anyone's gonna be different from birth... heheh...

Just that this was the case with me and several other people I know... I know for me that I wasn't so much seeking solitude as seeking escape from the kind of environment where long sessions of tormenting me for arbitrary and stupid reasons were a likelihood. And also escape from the constant feeling of failure that came from trying, and failing, to fit in.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Thanks for the speedy responses. Just as my thoughts are mixed, so are your answers .

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I think the 'false introversion' was really down to just awkwardness, lack of confidence really in dealing with people, fear - more than anything to do with genuinely wanting to be alone a lot. Whenever I was alone, looking back, I did feel lonely and bored and wished I had a big load of friends to go out with all the time. And I WAS willing to sacrifice my alone time to do that. I just didn't know how to, and when I tried, it didn't go right.

Yeah, I can definitely relate to that. A large amount of my wanting to be alone could better be described as "wanting to avoid" certain situations. For some reason I was always getting into spots where I felt awkward and inadequate throughout school, so I would avoid out of pure fear. Lately I've noticed that if I go a few days without getting out or talking to anyone I feel lonely and bored. I have hobbies that I've always loved to do by myself, but when I have no one to share the results with, it starts to feel pointless so I stop and sort of mope around a lot, heheh.

I need time to energize alone sometimes, but on the other hand being around people often energizes me. This ain't easy. It's difficult because I'm only recently out of the grade school environment, so I don't have a lot of new experiences to go by like you've gathered, substitute.

Nemo, I read the Kiersey descriptions on kiersey.com, and stupidly enough, I can relate to both. I feel like there's a small disconnect with each however. I'm not as off-the-cuff in social interactions/work as ENTPs sound, yet I'm not obsessed with inconsistencies unless I need to be. I don't think communicating with me would be an uncomfortable experience at all (though I know that description wouldn't fly with mature INTPs). Once again, I wish I had more experience to work with. I guess maybe it'll become more clear in the future.

As for the cognitive functions, I think they're useful. Would you describe for me your conception of the difference between Ne/Ti vs. Ti/Ne? I've read various takes on it in other places, but I'm always looking for new points of view.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I dunno Nemo. Sometimes kids who are a bit different get picked on and bullied a lot, and their behaviour is heavily distorted by the need to survive through that ("if I just stay away from people and be quiet and don't draw attention to myself when I have to be near people, then hopefully they'll leave me alone and not be mean to me"). It can be that it's not until they grow up and outgrow the negative and inhibiting effects of being bullied or put down for being different, and to accept and like their difference, that they begin to come out of their shell.

And if anyone's gonna be different from birth... heheh...

Just that this was the case with me and several other people I know... I know for me that I wasn't so much seeking solitude as seeking escape from the kind of environment where long sessions of tormenting me for arbitrary and stupid reasons were a likelihood. And also escape from the constant feeling of failure that came from trying, and failing, to fit in.

Until reading this I've never recongized how victimized I felt at times in childhood, lol. How sad. It started in like 1st grade and got steadily worse from there. It wasn't direct bullying or anything, just extreme alienation and inability to find "kindred spirits."

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    Would you describe for me your conception of the difference between Ne/Ti vs. Ti/Ne?
    I've recently allowed my Ne to take more of a role in my life, so I'm beginning to take a slightly more ENTP perspective. Here's my attempt to describe both cognitive functions from my experience, with some overdramatizing for humorous effect.

Ti dominant
    Not very risk-taking or explorative because Ti cautions against this. I end up feeling like I don't get out enough and experience life because I'm always sitting quietly thinking about ideas or even new things to try, but rarely actually do these things. I think I'll read a book about hiking in Alaska and consider planning a trip there.

Ne dominant
    I know what will happen, because I tried that already! I really need to be more careful and consider the logical consequences of my exploration of all possibilities. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and think about things more before I say anything too! Sitting around just thinking about things is boring, and I don't like to focus on one thing for very long anyway! That Alaskan hiking trip last week was fun! Next month, I want to go to the jungles of South America!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I've recently allowed my Ne to take more of a role in my life, so I'm beginning to take a slightly more ENTP perspective. Here's my attempt to describe both cognitive functions from my experience, with some overdramatizing for humorous effect.

Ti dominant
    Not very risk-taking or explorative because Ti cautions against this. I end up feeling like I don't get out enough and experience life because I'm always sitting quietly thinking about ideas or even new things to try, but rarely actually do these things. I think I'll read a book about hiking in Alaska and consider planning a trip there.

Ne dominant
    I know what will happen, because I tried that already! I really need to be more careful and consider the logical consequences of my exploration of all possibilities. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and think about things more before I say anything too! Sitting around just thinking about things is boring, and I don't like to focus on one thing for very long anyway! That Alaskan hiking trip last week was fun! Next month, I want to go to the jungles of South America!

I'm familiar with these two mindsets. Especially familiar with the negatives of Ti. I feel as if I might have been in a Ti stranglehold for a while, really. I have spent, and still spend, a lot of time being mad at myself for not going out and doing. I'm good at sitting and thinking (Ti), but too much of that and I start to go insane and feel like I'm missing out on something vital. On the other hand, when I begin to be more open, especially when hanging out with people I know, I can get really hyper and worked up over ideas and connections (Ne), and though I enjoy the high I get from that immensely, later on I come back scolding myself for being too "out there" (Ti), whether it be an off-kilter joke I made or something I said that I feel may come back to haunt me. I worry how my more excitable behavior may effect others as well (Fe).

It's as if, in my heart I want to go to the jungles of South America, but I'm still trapped planning a never-to-happen trip to the 7-Eleven, and I hate myself for it!

^ I could have written this post a few years ago. Now, Ti just rolls its eyes and lets Ne go on whatever adventure it dreams up.

I think I'm fairly clearly INTP, but am much happier being balanced.