Thread: INTP or ENTP?

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I dunno Nemo. Sometimes kids who are a bit different get picked on and bullied a lot, and their behaviour is heavily distorted by the need to survive through that ("if I just stay away from people and be quiet and don't draw attention to myself when I have to be near people, then hopefully they'll leave me alone and not be mean to me"). It can be that it's not until they grow up and outgrow the negative and inhibiting effects of being bullied or put down for being different, and to accept and like their difference, that they begin to come out of their shell.

And if anyone's gonna be different from birth... heheh...

Just that this was the case with me and several other people I know... I know for me that I wasn't so much seeking solitude as seeking escape from the kind of environment where long sessions of tormenting me for arbitrary and stupid reasons were a likelihood. And also escape from the constant feeling of failure that came from trying, and failing, to fit in.
    Definitely. Environmental factors can play a huge roll.

I feel awkward saying anything with absolute certainty, because this is a question I ponder myself a lot too. I have a hard time because I am an only child, and now it's hard to tell if I'm an Extravert with massive Introvert-like coping mechanisms from growing up and having to entertain myself, or if I'm simply an Introvert. It doesn't help that there appear to be multiple definitions of Introvert/Extravert, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    As for the cognitive functions, I think they're useful. Would you describe for me your conception of the difference between Ne/Ti vs. Ti/Ne? I've read various takes on it in other places, but I'm always looking for new points of view.
    Sure.

This is a pretty simple-minded explanation, but whatevs.

In general, Ne/Ti will intuit the possibility in a situation, and then default to Ti to strategize how to bring it about. They look to reality first, realize the possible ways of changing it, and then logically work out how to make it real.

Ti/Ne is the other way around. They first attempt to understand the whole structural pattern that underlies a situation, and then use Ne to get a gist of what their understanding's impact on reality would be. They're more into discerning patterns and then working out their implications without necessarily altering reality.

If you want, I have a ton of info in my PM Inbox I could forward you, too.

Also, since I'm kinda-sorta in the same conundrum as you: read about Ti from a reputable source. Since I've been reading about Ti from legit sources of information, I've learned a lot, and a lot of what I would've guessed was Ne in myself was really Ti. It's an odd function, and there's a ton of stereotypes and misinformation about it on the net.

So yeah.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yay nemo!!!

Lol, someone who seems like the posterboy of ENTPness is none other than Samuel De Mazarin.

Having or "using" primary Ne, is like living in constant de ja vu, where everywhere, and everything seems connected-connected-connected.

Analogous thinking is used to process and integrate, "new" information.

The world consists of thematic constants, and it is fucking trippy.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    ^ I could have written this post a few years ago. Now, Ti just rolls its eyes and lets Ne go on whatever adventure it dreams up.

I think I'm fairly clearly INTP, but am much happier being balanced.
    How old are you? Unless it's a secret....::shhh:: Because I know that type isn't established until a certain age, and then of course starts to balance as time goes on. I'm curious how far along in the process you are.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Definitely. Environmental factors can play a huge roll.

I feel awkward saying anything with absolute certainty, because this is a question I ponder myself a lot too. I have a hard time because I am an only child, and now it's hard to tell if I'm an Extravert with massive Introvert-like coping mechanisms from growing up and having to entertain myself, or if I'm simply an Introvert. It doesn't help that there appear to be multiple definitions of Introvert/Extravert, lol.

Sure.

This is a pretty simple-minded explanation, but whatevs.

In general, Ne/Ti will intuit the possibility in a situation, and then default to Ti to strategize how to bring it about. They look to reality first, realize the possible ways of changing it, and then logically work out how to make it real.

Ti/Ne is the other way around. They first attempt to understand the whole structural pattern that underlies a situation, and then use Ne to get a gist of what their understanding's impact on reality would be. They're more into discerning patterns and then working out their implications without necessarily altering reality.

If you want, I have a ton of info in my PM Inbox I could forward you, too.

Also, since I'm kinda-sorta in the same conundrum as you: read about Ti from a reputable source. Since I've been reading about Ti from legit sources of information, I've learned a lot, and a lot of what I would've guessed was Ne in myself was really Ti. It's an odd function, and there's a ton of stereotypes and misinformation about it on the net.

So yeah.
    Heh, yeah I'm an only child as well, and my dad was in the Navy so we moved quite a lot, I also forgot to factor that in. I was well prepared for people-avoidance in my later school years thanks to all that learning to entertain myself as a child - outside of school I could never sit still so I had to come up with a lot of coping factors. I'm just getting worse at it now.

Please do forward me that info you have, anything would be helpful. It really is difficult for me to decide whether I'm Ti or Ne dominant despite you all's helpful descriptions .

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Yay nemo!!!

Lol, someone who seems like the posterboy of ENTPness is none other than Samuel De Mazarin.

Having or "using" primary Ne, is like living in constant de ja vu, where everywhere, and everything seems connected-connected-connected.

Analogous thinking is used to process and integrate, "new" information.

The world consists of thematic constants, and it is fucking trippy.
    Yeah, I've seen his posts and they do scream ENTP to me. I'm not as exhuberant as all that, but then again, I've hung around INTPc a bit in the past and I don't feel like I fit in much there either. I actually prefer the ENTP.org boards out of all the type-based boards I've visited, though I barely get on there...they tend to be more playful which is more my style.

I might be a balanced INTP as JAVO said, but I also need some more life experience to go off of....

Once again, thanks for all your responses.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    ENTP

Took me a while to come out of my INTP disguise mind you. Some really sharp people were onto me like Jennifer, who maintained all along that I was an ENTP right from when I first turned up on INTPc thinking I was one. But in general it took me a while after embracing my E-ness (after putting up a pretty good fight to stay in the I-camp) before I became 'exhuberant'. Sometimes too much so, but then I can still go for long periods where I just don't feel very exhuberant at all. Specially when I'm tired, which I am a lot, lately. Or when I'm 'underlyingly angry' at something but too much of an emotional retard to figure out either that I am angry at all or what I'm angry at and why. So it just growls in the background of my consciousness somewhere and dampens all my usual flambouyance.

Takes an ENFJ usually, to tell me what's going on lol
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Took me a while to come out of my INTP disguise mind you. Some really sharp people were onto me like Jennifer, who maintained all along that I was an ENTP right from when I first turned up on INTPc thinking I was one. But in general it took me a while after embracing my E-ness (after putting up a pretty good fight to stay in the I-camp) before I became 'exhuberant'. Sometimes too much so, but then I can still go for long periods where I just don't feel very exhuberant at all. Specially when I'm tired, which I am a lot, lately. Or when I'm 'underlyingly angry' at something but too much of an emotional retard to figure out either that I am angry at all or what I'm angry at and why. So it just growls in the background of my consciousness somewhere and dampens all my usual flambouyance.

Takes an ENFJ usually, to tell me what's going on lol

I have an ENFJ, but he's been rendered functionally useless due to being in dire love with his girlfriend . So he's no help .
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    ENTP

I have an ENFJ, but he's been rendered functionally useless due to being in dire love with his girlfriend . So he's no help .
    Ah, I know that feeling. That's what's happened to my ISTP lately. And I've got like, loads of tool-type work that needs doing, too. Love, eh?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I've been having a similar problem recently.
    I think I may seriously be a somewhat self-conscious ENTP who doesn't get along with everyone.
    I find that I get too tired and bored with too much solitude and usually light up when I am around interesting people. I am more like my extraverted friends in the sense that I genuinely enjoy parties and flirting.

The one thing that really is making me want to switch is that external validation is ridiculously important to me. I will only truly withdraw if I feel that my image is 'poor' and think about how I can re-invent my image. It's the one problem most people have with me since I show 'different sides' of myself depending on the situation. I can't stand any kind of rejection- it is a blow to my image, for a long time I considered myself to be pretty smart for making such an infallible image. I realize now that it hasn't been making me happy inside. It's a problem I've been having for a while and something that I've been trying to fix through becoming a scholar of psychometry.

As long as I'm well-liked by others, I am never actually worn out by them- I am just not a master of small talk. If a conversation is leading towards 'small talk' I will often direct it to 'large talk'.
    I don't know of any Extraverted Rational who truly is a master of small talk and all Introverted Guardians seem to be masters of it (at least the ISFJs).

I am tempted to say that my Ne & Ti are about equal- in terms of cognitive functions, both serve me well.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENTP

the use of the phrase 'becoming a scholar...' is quite INTP-ish lol

but as for the rest of that, it all sounds ENTP to me, Mondo. Just like me really in many respects.

But I'd disagree that ENTP's aren't good at smalltalk. In fact I'm the one in my social circle that's always wanted at everything - people rearrange dates to get me to events, because when I'm in the mood I do the kind of smalltalk that's actually entertaining, as opposed to the boring kind where people say like

Hello, I'm Bob
    nice to meet you, I'm Jake
    So what do you do?
    I work as a clerk in an insurance company
    Oh really? How interesting
    [thinks, no it's fucking not, can't we talk about blowing up shit on Grand Theft Auto?]
    Well it keeps the wolf from the door. How about you?
    I sell photocopiers
    Oh er... is there a lot of call for that round here then?
    Yes, why only last week I sold 7...

That kind of smalltalk is the sort that nobody, surely, really enjoys. They just do it to fill the awkward silences when they haven't the imagination to talk about anything else, or sometimes it's that they don't want to RISK talking about anything else.

I don't do it on purpose, I just can't help saying what pops into my head. Like

I don't work at all actually, I can't be arsed
    Oh...er... well how do you pay the bills?
    I dunno, I'm working on that one. But when I've finished the timber framed barn I'm building in the woods, I'm hoping to make it a carbon neutral home where I can home educate the kids
    Oh. I sell photocopiers.
    Great. What do you think's in these pastries? tastes like prawns and grass
    I dunno, I haven't tried 'em yet
    Reminds me of this thing once, right, where...
    [other person is soon engaged in hilarious discussion of bad cooking we've been subjected to and our tactics for tactfully avoiding eating it]

edit - Oh, one other question: are you like, a teeny bit hyperactive? Like, stay up really late without noticing how late it is, like I am right now (3am) and then still get up early the next day, feeling like shit, but after the first coffee the rest of the day's just as if you'd slept 8 hours?

Or is that just me and my ENTP daughter?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I definitely can hold up the second kind of small talk, as long as I get the idea that the person will appreciate the humor in the things I say. Those are the people I become great friends with.

Oh, one other question: are you like, a teeny bit hyperactive? Like, stay up really late without noticing how late it is, like I am right now (3am) and then still get up early the next day, feeling like shit, but after the first coffee the rest of the day's just as if you'd slept 8 hours?
    I do that fairly often. There are many nights when I'm hyper and either partying/hanging out with friends/chatting with people/getting really into a good book. Depending on my mood, I can feel awake instantly even with little sleep.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Throughout school I could never find my niche, so I resorted to turning inward and valuing my alone time, as it was the only time where I could fully invest myself in my interests, as I had no one else to share them with.
    Change "invest" into "invent" and:
    Disregard any answer you got here, cause they will only make you think.

YOU ARE BIG TIME ENTP

There is only one way to cope with social anxiety and disharmony, you have to rely on your thinking side. This will never give you the closeness you seek, but it will help you to find out, who you really are.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]