• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another round of confusion

sworm09

So recently I was on this forum and with the help of others I began to lean toward being an ENTP. I've typed as INFP, INFJ, INTP, and most recently ENTP. I'm beginning to realize that most of my confusion on the matter comes from being unable to look at myself objectively. Of course one will always be reminded of what he wants himself to be rather than what he really is. To remedy this I ran around the internet and found this wonderful "What's my type?" questionnaire, which should provide a more objective, clear picture of who I am and how I think. Here are the questions as well as my answers. Based on my answers, can you find a clear conclusion as to what type I'm most likely to be? Thanks alot!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
As someone that typed INFP, the fact that I don't have any clear value system. Fi is supposed to be responsible for creating a strong, internal value system, which I don't have. Of course I get gut reactions of aversion or attraction, but I'm never entirely aware if something is right or wrong, and quite often I don't care. My sense of personal morality is subject to change whenever I learn something new or take in new information; even seeing something from a different point of view is enough to make me change my moral outlook. As such I'm not one to act with conviction and I'm very malleable when it comes to my personal likes and dislikes. I'll actually give up my likes or dislikes for the sake of others. At the same time, I care very much about other people thought's and opinions, but I have hilarious difficulty connecting with others. Most of my friendships are intellectual rather than emotional connections. Though I care very much for all of my friends, most of my interactions with others are largely intellectual and conversation based hence my difficulties in romance.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
A feeling of certainty as well as a feeling of being recognized for my talents or knowledge. My worst fear is being ignored.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

This is difficult because I have to struggle to find a time when I felt like I was at my finest; there's always a subtle feeling of something being wrong or missing. If I were pressed to choose a particular instant, it would be way back in pre school. I was one of the most intelligent students in the class and a very fast learner. I got to help tutor the other children in the class and I felt very fulfilled and useful because I was able to put my knowledge to use working with others. Most of my finest moments involve using my knowledge to somehow help or work with others, despite my aversion to other people.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I really feel bad when I'm singled out and it happens constantly throughout my life. I'll feel like I"m becoming friends with a group of people (emphasis on group) and then suddenly one day everyone in the group will seem to team up on me. They'll make snide remarks about me, or subtle jokes about me making me feel as if I'm the odd one in the group. Being targeted and picked on for being a generally quiet, gentle person is what makes me feel inferior. Any time I'm forced to feel like I'm different from everyone else, I feel inferior.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

When making my decisions, I usually end up confused because I hate making decisions. Most of the time I look to other people when attempting to make a decision. My friends will tell you that I'll bounce ideas off of them to see what they think about something before making a decision. Even when I'm alone and forced to make a decision, I take other people's feelings and opinions into consideration. It's extremely rare for me to make a decision based only on my opinions and feelings, because my opinions are based almost entirely on others people's, which is a good and bad thing because I take other people's comments very seriously.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

When working on a project my emphasis is usually on getting it done without an extreme amount of effort. At the same time, despite the fact that I'm not aiming for a perfect outcome, I prefer that my limited effort is as good as possible. Though I have a tendency to cut corners, I try to the best of my ability not to make mistakes. When working on a personal or creative project, I tend to be much more of a perfectionist. If it's a project that I'm interested in, I'm much more perfectionist when working on it. At the same time, as the project goes on I'll get tired of working on it, or I'll see that my work won't create the idealized outcome that I'm going for, so I'll just abandon it. Generally I don't like to have control of the outcome of projects because I know that I'm not a good manager or director.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Getting my first computer is one of the moments where everything changed and became more interesting to me. Getting access to the internet allowed me to learn a bunch of things that I'd never even come close to considering. I remember spending long hours on the internet doing research on things just because I could, just because I wanted to learn them. To me, that was fun, because I learned a bunch of things that I may never use in any practical way, but I know them nonetheless. Looking back on it, it makes my chuckle, because I've always been the curious type in that I enjoy exploring and discussing interesting ideas. Even now that I'm in college, I spend the vast majority of my time researching things that have nothing to do with my actual classes, just because I have the ability to do so.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
When want to learn something new, I tend to try to absorb as much information about it as possible. I'll read numerous articles and books on it while combining that with theory on my own part. Sometimes I'll try to learns the basics of a system, and then theorize how those basic elements relate to each other and combine with one another, as well as theorizing on how I could build on those elements.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not at all. I like to think of myself as a planner, but I'm not. I'm very much aware of future events, and I often think about things that are way off in the future, but I almost never sit down and actually take steps to plan for it. Most of the things that I do are last minute or somewhat impulsive and I'm a hilariously bad procrastinator. As far as my belongings go, I'm horribly disorganized with that as well, though I tend to be organized in my sloppiness i.e. though my living space is sloppy, I know where everything is and everything has a place in that disorder.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
When trying to judge new ideas I tend to look for information that supports it. I want to know if the idea is accurate by seeing if there are facts or experiences to support it.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I'm more at peace when everyone is getting along and I tend to feel guilty for following what I believe and I'm too concerned with other people to be myself. I care more about how other people feel most of the time, even if I don't outwardly show it.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
When around strangers or new people, I think before speaking, but only slightly. I tend to have a general, somewhat intuitive, grasp on what I want to say, but I never really know what I want to say word for word. I prefer one-on-one communication because it's much more engaging and on track than group discussions.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Depending on the situation, I'll generally think about the consequences of something before doing it, and I often struggle with indecision because I have to be absolutely sure that what I'm doing is correct before I take the leap. I feel that actions do speak more than words because people have a tendency to talk about things that they never do.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
This is a dilemma that I find myself in a lot. I'd probably come up with an excuse or say it as nicely as possible to avoid getting them upset or thinking ill of me.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Angry, sarcastic, and easily irritated. I have a tendency of becoming intellectually arrogant and argumentative when I'm stressed out or flustered.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I strongly dislike arrogant people that criticize or look down on others as if they were better than everyone else. I really can't stand people that think that they're in some way above me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I really love talking with people about things that I've learned or read about, or theories on things that I might have. I really get offended and angry when the other person isn't really interested in those things.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Material things and practical things such as money, careers, and stuff like that. As long as I have enough money to support myself and get the things that I want, I'm not too concerned with money. I could care less about nice clothes, fancy cars, or amazing house. As far as careers go, as long as it pays me enough to support myself and I'm able to find it somewhat interesting or stimulating, I don't care much about climbing a corporate ladder. Even when it comes to my physical body, as long as I'm not ill, feeling bad, or hurting I'm not overtly concerned with my health.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends tend to see me as somewhat detached and negative. None of my friends really see me as being as emotional and sensitive as I really am. They know that I'm a generally laid back and they know that I'm very aware of other people's feelings, but they still think that I'm not as connected to others as most people are. I've been told that there's a certain distance between me and other people. On being told that I'm negative, I'm can be a very cynical and sarcastic person, but only because that's my sense of humor. I also have no problems talking about things that bother some people, like death or depression, so people often peg me as being negative. The fact that I also enjoy a good debate also turns some of my friends off, despite the fact that I never expect them to take it personally. The thing about their perception that's wrong is that despite my apparent negativity, I'm always open to new possibilities and I'm never dogmatic in my opinions.I'm not as detached from people as I appear and I often spend a great amount of time thinking about how I make other people feel. My friends would probably never say that I'm an aggressive, dramatic, and emotionally expressive person. Despite my inner anxiety at times, people tell me that I appear to be calm and placid on the outside.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading most likely. I really like learning new things, so I'll probably go explore some things. If I could do ANYTHING, I'd really like to enjoy traveling, perhaps going to some place with historical significance; I really enjoy history. Beyond that I'd generally enjoy the day through doing the things that interest me from moment to moment.

So from this huge block of text, do you have any ideas? Thanks again.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I don't know, yo. But I guess you can scratch INFJ off the list.

but I like this part of your ...block of text

Material things and practical things such as money, careers, and stuff like that. As long as I have enough money to support myself and get the things that I want, I'm not too concerned with money. I could care less about nice clothes, fancy cars, or amazing house. As far as careers go, as long as it pays me enough to support myself and I'm able to find it somewhat interesting or stimulating, I don't care much about climbing a corporate ladder. Even when it comes to my physical body, as long as I'm not ill, feeling bad, or hurting I'm not overtly concerned with my health.

...that's how I base my values too...

sorry, I am not not of much help, but you do sound introverted to me.

sworm09

I don't know, yo. But I guess you can scratch INFJ off the list.

At least knocking INFJ off the list is helpful, but may I ask why exactly I should knock it off the list? Not a challenge, just trying to see your reasoning behind it.

ISFJ....hmmm.

The thing about that is that I'm not too heavy on the past. I think about it, but generally I'm now huge on upholding traditions, particularly if those traditions seem dogmatic or ridiculous to me. I only enjoy routine in small doses, and I really get depressed as soon as something even begins to become a routine. Is it possible to be this way while being an Si dominant? I guess to elaborate, I only enjoy something as long as it piques my interest. In keeping with the vein of my answers above, I'll answer with a real life situation.

I began university this August. Things were all well and good when I got there; it was a new environment and I was constantly meeting new people, learning new things, and seeing new locations. I was pretty happy because every day I was getting into something new that was worth thinking about later. Then in late September moving into October, I got used to being there. I slipped into a routine and things became a little bland. University doesn't hold the same interest for me anymore and I literally get depressed from how things have become so uninteresting and boring. So now I occupy myself by getting involved in new and interesting on campus activities to stop myself from slipping into a depressed boredom. Situations like these are common in my life. As soon as something becomes routine and predictable, I want out. This even extends to my relationships with other people.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
At least knocking INFJ off the list is helpful, but may I ask why exactly I should knock it off the list? Not a challenge, just trying to see your reasoning behind it.

Don't worry, I don't see a challenge.

And what I am saying is complete bull even though I have the jungian definition of intuition right in front of me xDDDD

It sort of seems like you could be using Fe since the only external information you focus on seems to be how other people feel and such, so it could be ENFJ/ESFJ/INFJ/ISFJ ...but it seems like Fe only comes out to play when you can talk about things that excite you and you don't care to mend your excitement on someone else's terms. So introversion has been established. Si isn't really about tradition ...I think it's sort of about looking at the world/information in a way that only you can truly appreciate. Ni is like that too, I guess... but I feel like it does that in a more round-about fashion. I have a friend who loves to look up random information ...for no reason ...it excites her. I don't get it, but it's cute. She doesn't make connections between the information, but she enjoys new information.

sworm09

Don't worry, I don't see a challenge.

And what I am saying is complete bull even though I have the jungian definition of intuition right in front of me xDDDD

It sort of seems like you could be using Fe since the only external information you focus on seems to be how other people feel and such, so it could be ENFJ/ESFJ/INFJ/ISFJ ...but it seems like Fe only comes out to play when you can talk about things that excite you and you don't care to mend your excitement on someone else's terms. So introversion has been established. Si isn't really about tradition ...I think it's sort of about looking at the world/information in a way that only you can truly appreciate. Ni is like that too, I guess... but I feel like it does that in a more round-about fashion. I have a friend who loves to look up random information ...for no reason ...it excites her. I don't get it, but it's cute. She doesn't make connections between the information, but she enjoys new information.

Alright then, Si just came into consideration. So Si is more about your internal impressions of outer experiences which are often stored and reflected on. Hmmmmm. To some extent I can see that. I remember everything people say, always (for good or ill). I always remember my experiences and I often reflect on them (for good or ill). I tend to see the world in a very different light than others, because most of my perceptions are based on my impressions of a situation then and there in that very moment. I'll dislike someone for ages because I'll remember a negative conversation I had with them 10 years ago. I might not act on it, but I'll always remember.

I guess I need to learn more about Si to really know for sure.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I guess I need to learn more about Si to really know for sure.

the fact that an event weighs on your psyche and influences your perception of others ...could mean that you use Si.

Still... I feel bad telling you to rule out Ni. You should still read about it and such (who knows... maybe you'll be the next Carl Jung and provide profound insight about Ni ....or it could end up actually being a dominant function xD)

Here's something ^_^

http://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...I-Functional-Descriptions-by-J-H-van-der-Hoop

W

WALMART

I cannot compete with your preconceptions

Si types are living prisms.

And they're weary of colors.

I'm just making this up.

Including the part where I typed you ISFJ.

I like monkey pawing.

Sorry.

But the prism thing might be true.

sworm09

the fact that an event weighs on your psyche and influences your perception of others ...could mean that you use Si.

Still... I feel bad telling you to rule out Ni. You should still read about it and such (who knows... maybe you'll be the next Carl Jung and provide profound insight about Ni ....or it could end up actually being a dominant function xD)

Here's something ^_^

http://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...I-Functional-Descriptions-by-J-H-van-der-Hoop

I'm back where I started then. Absolutely no idea what type I am :huh:

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Sorry... Well, you know you're not Te dominant and you're introverted, right???? I just think that you are an introvert-perceiving dominant. That leaves you with 4 types to choose from: ISTJ/INTJ/INFJ/ISFJ and ...you seem more Fe than Te... so that leaves you with two...

sworm09

Sorry... Well, you know you're not Te dominant and you're introverted, right???? I just think that you are an introvert-perceiving dominant. That leaves you with 4 types to choose from: ISTJ/INTJ/INFJ/ISFJ and ...you seem more Fe than Te... so that leaves you with two...

Si or Ni? I guess I need to learn what both of these functions do. Ni is wholly abstract to me, and I don't know as much about Si as I thought I did.

Upon reading around a bit, I think I'm leaning toward Ni. When I see something I see through it; I get an impression of what's inside of it. When I see people I get an impression, a certain essence that describes them to the point that I can connect the essence of one person with that of another. When learning about ideas, I sort of get what I can only describe as a shape...a vague image of an idea, which I can relate to other vague images. These vague impressions and images define my life. I never see things immediately as they are, but the impressions and images they suggest to me; things that I can't even really begin to describe, but somehow I understand them. If that's Ni, them I'm an INFJ.