User Tag List

12 Last

Default The usual INFP/INFJ confusion. Also an HSP...

Hi everyone,

I'm rather new to the whole MBTI thing. I've taken a few online tests and tested as INFP.

The result from http://www.humanmetrics.com/:

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
    You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
    You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)
    You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)

And when reading the descriptions, I can identify myself with both INTP and INFJ. Actually, the INFJ seems even more accurate. Now, I know it doesn't really *matter* which one I am, and I know every person carries a bit of everything inside them. I'm just curious to know if it could be distinguished.

I'm rather indecisive but at the same time needing closures. I have many contradictory qualities, such as the need to plan and control things but also to be spontaneous (I guess that's because I'm very creative and somehow the space for spontaneity allows me to use my creativity more).

Some other distinctive qualities:
    • I'm very conscientious and feel easily guilty even for things that have nothing to do with me! This is very exhausting and usually I'm intellectually aware of it but not able to change it.

• I'm natural with language(s). I learned to speak, read and write at an unusually young age. I also learn foreign languages quickly and easily.

• I'm very creative and idealistic. Sometimes I lack the ability to put my ideas into action, to realize them in this world. It's often hard for me to find the optimal level - I'm either hyperactive and over-confident (when inspired) or insecure and nearly paralyzed. I also have the tendency to fantasize a lot and sometimes I forget the "real" me or I can't distinguish myself from the ideas I have. I suppose this is typical for INFP's.

• I'm really curious about other people indirectly. I like to hear/read their stories and sometimes "spy" on others while avoiding direct contact.
    • I'm really introverted. I want to and need to spend a lot of time by myself and definately have a rich, complex inner life.
    • In group situations, I can usually sense other's emotions and needs and tend to forget about my own. When I'm by myself or with people who are really close to me, I stick to my ideals and can be very stubborn, but when I need to face a conflict or a "difficult" person I get scared and start to please the other. I hate it.

• People usually see me as calm, caring and intelligent. I experience all emotions very strongly and it can be really painful. I don't show much of that to strangers, but with the closest ones (especially love partners!) I can be quite a drama queen.

I thought that maybe the reason I test as a P is because a lot of the questions in the tests are something like "Are you never late?" "Is your work desk always clean an organized?" and I have to answer no - I'm not very good at keeping things in order but I suffer from that! I need to know what's going to happen, I dislike surprises, need a lot of time to make desicions. I also feel much more harmonious in tidy places. I've always been really picky and sensitive about clothing materials, foods, people, noises... Some people have called me a control freak and I guess they are not completely wrong.

I think a lot of this has to do with me being an HSP (a Highly Sensitive Person)- which means having a higher-than-average sensory-processing sensitivity. I get easily overwhelmed by external and internal stimuli. I was wondering whether this could contribute to my confusion about the J/T part. Maybe I'm an INFP but sometimes appear as INFJ because of the need to control the environment in order to avoid overstimulation? Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading. And sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Did not read a single word, but are you aware that INFP and INFJ use a completely different set of functions?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

@foxtail

Just in case, speaking hypothetically, you ever encounter an internet forumite who tries to convince you that it's just plain goofy to be agonizing over INFJ vs. INFP because, ZOMG, if you cross the J/P borderline, it flips all your functions, you may want to read this PerC post.

You sound like a Limbic INFJ to me.

"Limbic" refers to the Big Five temperament dimension that isn't included in the Myers-Briggs typology and is often referred to as "neuroticism" (although it isn't a psychological disorder). The Big Five/SLOAN typology labels it Emotional Stability and refers to the two poles as Calm and Limbic. Being Limbic on that dimension tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic, and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs.

Assuming you have reasonably well-defined preferences, I think you're more likely to correctly type yourself using dichotomy-based tests than tests (or analysis) based on the "cognitive functions." And if you've got one or more preferences that are in or near the middle, I think dichotomy-based tests are more likely to correctly indicate that situation as well. Even cognitive function aficionados generally don't claim that there's any test they can point you to that's particularly likely to give you results that place your dominant function in first place and your auxiliary function in second place — never mind ID-ing your tertiary and inferior functions in any easy-to-spot way.

For links to the two tests I'd recommend and more type-me input from me (including profile roundups for the four IN types), see this post.
    Likes oneandonly, infiniterandomness11 liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

"Less of a cucumber" lol

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    @foxtail

Just in case, speaking hypothetically, you ever encounter an internet forumite who tries to convince you that it's just plain goofy to be agonizing over INFJ vs. INFP because, ZOMG, if you cross the J/P borderline, it flips all your functions, you may want to read this PerC post.

You sound like a Limbic INFJ to me.

"Limbic" refers to the Big Five temperament dimension that isn't included in the Myers-Briggs typology and is often referred to as "neuroticism" (although it isn't a psychological disorder). The Big Five/SLOAN typology labels it Emotional Stability and refers to the two poles as Calm and Limbic. Being Limbic on that dimension tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic, and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs.

Assuming you have reasonably well-defined preferences, I think you're more likely to correctly type yourself using dichotomy-based tests than tests (or analysis) based on the "cognitive functions." And if you've got one or more preferences that are in or near the middle, I think dichotomy-based tests are more likely to correctly indicate that situation as well. Even cognitive function aficionados generally don't claim that there's any test they can point you to that's particularly likely to give you results that place your dominant function in first place and your auxiliary function in second place — never mind ID-ing your tertiary and inferior functions in any easy-to-spot way.

For links to the two tests I'd recommend and more type-me input from me (including profile roundups for the four IN types), see this post.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

INFP because of the description in the OP. I don't understand why you just didn't go with that type based on your test scores. The OP description verifies those results.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm rather indecisive but at the same time needing closures
    Dominant perception, but extroverted judgement = IxxJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Another enneagram 9. The J/P thing is hard with them, as they tend to sound P-ish, but aren't necessarily, which will confuse them also. They also want people to give them closure, but don't necessarily create it themselves, and that also doesn't neatly seem J or P.

It's always hard for me to grasp the "I don't know how I feel around other people" thing, and I think it's more e9 than Fi or Fe.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes oneandonly liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

It's always hard for me to grasp the "I don't know how I feel around other people" thing, and I think it's more e9 than Fi or Fe.
    I don't grasp it period. Honestly, how is it even a question? What do you mean "don't know how I feel around other people"? ...you don't know? That's something that is extremely obvious to me and I just can not understand how someone wouldn't know that. It smacks me in the face hard instantly and can be a problem sometimes actually if I really despise someone. It really truly boggles my mind.

If it is a 9 thing that would make sense, it's the lowest of the low for all the enneagram types I relate with.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    INFP because of the description in the OP. I don't understand why you just didn't go with that type based on your test scores. The OP description verifies those results.
    You think the tests are really that accurate though? I consistently test as INTJ or INTP more often than INFJ. Even on the 'official' mbti test, I scored right on the line between INFJ/INTJ. Which is weird, because of how not INTJ I am. While this particular OP does sound almost blatantly FP to me (the characteristics listed, in themselves, could easily apply to an INFJ- but the vernacular in which they're listed is very FP), my own experience is that the tests are not reliable indicator of someone's type.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    You think the tests are really that accurate though? I consistently test as INTJ or INTP more often than INFJ. Even on the 'official' mbti test, I scored right on the line between INFJ/INTJ. Which is weird, because of how not INTJ I am. While this particular OP does sound almost blatantly FP to me (the characteristics listed, in themselves, could easily apply to an INFJ- but the vernacular in which they're listed is very FP), my own experience is that the tests are not reliable indicator of someone's type.
    The test score that tells you what you already know unconsciously is the one you should believe.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”