• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2 years and still no idea

sworm09

I first heard about the MBTI 2 years ago. I heard about the test and took the first one that was available to me. That particular test was very simplistic and it didn't take cognitive functions into consideration. On that test I scored INFP and then INFJ, bouncing back and forth between the two. About a year ago, in my then confusion between the J and P, I came to discover cognitive functions. From there the question wasn't so much if I was a J or P, but if I was using Ni or Fi as my dominant function.

Ni sounds nebulous to me, and though I can create visual images without any stimuli, it's not something that I depend on. I only do it when listening to music, or just simple fantasy. Anyone can use Ni and don't think that I use it enough to be an INFJ. Also, having Fe as an secondary function is a tad off. The only time I use Fe, I use it with fear. I only care how other people feel from the perspective of fear...to actually be more specific, I care little for how someone feels, but more for what they may THINK about me. Also I don't have the openness that characterizes Fe and I generally appear rigid and unemotional until one gets to know me. Even then I'm lacking in the warmth that Fe is known for.

The Fi/Ne combo is a little more easy for me to relate to, but they're still problems. Fi is another difficult to understand function that I don't think I have. I get feelings of aversion and attraction to things a lot, but I'm far from the internal value system that Fi contains. Learning that Jungian Feeling has nothing to do with emotions specifically has also made me less certain that I'm an Fi dominant. According to most of my readings Fi dominants are emotional when their values are stepped on and that it's the values, not the emotions that define Fi. If that's the case, I don't think I'm an Fi dominant; I lack a solid, consistent inner system of values. I've used Fi before, but it's not my guiding light. I'm a hilariously emotional person and I take near everything personally, but if Fi is more about an internal value system, it's not my dominant function.

Ne on the other hand is a function that I feel like I use quite frequently. I think that Ne is most of the reason I keep finding myself questioning my type. I'm constantly asking "What if?" in regards to things, so I'm never sure about anything and I'm always fairly open to new information. What's more, I hold almost every source of information to the same standard and weigh it all equally....so I'm never really able to get closed up in a idea or thought pattern before I jump to the possible "What if I'm wrong?" or "What if I change this idea to this? Or combine this idea with that?"

In my actual life Ne manifests as me being unable to stick to anything. I start things and never finish them, I have numerous things that I'm interested in but none that I've mastered, I get bored easily, I despise routine, and I'm always hoping for the "What if's" of the future. I'm an intellectual wanderer I guess; I lack the focus to focus on one hobby, so I have like five hobbies that I jump around and I'm always open to getting new hobbies. Things get depressing to me when they stop being new.

So the one thing I know for sure is that I use Ne quite frequently, not so much Ni or Fi. Fe I would say I use fairly often, but not in a confident manner. So to pinpoint my cognitive function use, I took a cognitive functions test....a few times actually. Each time my results came out looking something like this:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.4)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.8)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************** (22.3)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (27.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************************** (42.9)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************** (30.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.2)
limited use

I've taken the test a few times, and the results always look something like this. Ne is always highest, then Ti then Fe, and then Si. That would make me an ENTP.

Once again, I use Ne fairly frequently, but I'm no extrovert...so I would say that if these results are to be trusted, I'm an INTP what uses Ne quite alot. There are still a few questionable things about theses results. First, Fe is used pretty darn often and Fi isn't ignored, which doesn't seem characteristic of an INTP. Second, I'm not exactly sure that my Fe is ignored enough to qualify as inferior as is my Si, thus putting me somewhere between INTP and ENTP.

I brought this issue up on an INFJ facebook group and I was told that I don't come of as an INTP and that I displayed a "Feeling reaction" in the group a while back. The incident mentioned was a debate in which someone basically implied that I was wrong, and waved their credentials in front of me as proof rather than answer my questions directly. This person told me that this indicated that they either 1: Attacked my values or 2: Attacked the groups values and that I became rabid because of it. To be honest, I only argued with her to the last because she told me that I was wrong and then used an argument by authority to try to avoid answering my questions directly.

So with this long post, what do you think? INFP? INFJ? ENTP? INTP? ENTP/INTP hybrid? I'm not entirely sure, and I don't think I ever will.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your JCF score clearly shows ENTP. I have an MBTI questionnaire but it's not based on functions.

sworm09

Your JCF score clearly shows ENTP. I have an MBTI questionnaire but it's not based on functions.

I see...but is it possible to be introverted as an ENTP? I'm not confusing introversion with shyness...I literally get tired around other people and I need extended periods of solitude to recharge. Despite the score, wouldn't INTP make more sense?

sworm09

I see...but is it possible to be introverted as an ENTP? I'm not confusing introversion with shyness...I literally get tired around other people and I need extended periods of solitude to recharge. Despite the score, wouldn't INTP make more sense?

Or is it possible that my extroversion is only based on chasing possibilities of novelty rather than being focused on people with my only having to withdraw to analyze my experiences? I'm also insanely cautious and not prone to just jumping into stuff....

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's one sign of introversion...

sworm09

That's one sign of introversion...

Hmmm I guess you're right.

I'm also prone to being reclusive, withdrawing from others, maintaining silence until one gets to know me, introspection (Ti will do that anyway), as well as an inclination to wanting to be alone for at least sometimes while also having a rabid desire to want to be around other people. I've always been a loner; even as a child was pretty self contained and quiet.

I'm possibly just a withdrawn ENTP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm I guess you're right.

I'm also prone to being reclusive, withdrawing from others, maintaining silence until one gets to know me, introspection (Ti will do that anyway), as well as an inclination to wanting to be alone for at least sometimes while also having a rabid desire to want to be around other people.

I'm possibly just a withdrawn ENTP.

Which extroverted traits do you have?

sworm09

Which extroverted traits do you have?

Hmmm

1. Things only hold significance for me when I have something to show for them. If I have a skill I need to be able to show it to others or I need to in some way get other people enthusiastic about it. If I'm not aiming to make other people enthusiastic about my ideas or skills, then I try to in someway apply my ideas or theories to my life. MBTI is a great example of that. I learned the theory and then I immediately went and started trying to apply it to real life.

2. Other people excite me when we're friends. After being depressed for a month, just talking to a particular person could perk me right up. Despite loving being alone, I crave the companionship of others, and I feel quite lonely without those companions. The problem is that when I'm around other people, I just end up tired or annoyed to the point that I just want to get away from them.

3. I'm shy at first but extremely expressive when you get to know me. I'm extremely talkative and my conversations with friends are always somewhat philosophical/theoretical in nature...where I usually try to tell them about some interesting things that I read or I relate a bit of a theory to them. I can go on and on like this, but if I see the other person isn't interested, I usually just shut up and sulk. Along with my expressiveness, I can be very argumentative and defensive at times. Sometimes I argue with people just because.

4. I'm generally not confident or comfortable in new environments but I DO find them interesting. Whenever I go someplace new, I'm always captivated by the novelty...despite the fact that I'm generally too cautious to explore haphazardly.

Beyond those things, which may or my not count as extroverted traits, I don't know of anything else. Looking at how isolated, withdrawn, and introspective I am, I'm not entirely sure about extroversion.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would you rather:

1. Discuss the way things work in the world, or

2. Play chess

Hmmm

1. Things only hold significance for me when I have something to show for them. If I have a skill I need to be able to show it to others or I need to in some way get other people enthusiastic about it. If I'm not aiming to make other people enthusiastic about my ideas or skills, then I try to in someway apply my ideas or theories to my life. MBTI is a great example of that. I learned the theory and then I immediately went and started trying to apply it to real life.

2. Other people excite me when we're friends. After being depressed for a month, just talking to a particular person could perk me right up. Despite loving being alone, I crave the companionship of others, and I feel quite lonely without those companions. The problem is that when I'm around other people, I just end up tired or annoyed to the point that I just want to get away from them.

3. I'm shy at first but extremely expressive when you get to know me. I'm extremely talkative and my conversations with friends are always somewhat philosophical/theoretical in nature...where I usually try to tell them about some interesting things that I read or I relate a bit of a theory to them. I can go on and on like this, but if I see the other person isn't interested, I usually just shut up and sulk. Along with my expressiveness, I can be very argumentative and defensive at times. Sometimes I argue with people just because.

4. I'm generally not confident or comfortable in new environments but I DO find them interesting. Whenever I go someplace new, I'm always captivated by the novelty...despite the fact that I'm generally too cautious to explore haphazardly.

Beyond those things, which may or my not count as extroverted traits, I don't know of anything else. Looking at how isolated, withdrawn, and introspective I am, I'm not entirely sure about extroversion.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You definitely sound xNTP. ENxPs are classically "introverted extraverts", meaning that we tend to be socially introverted but our cognitive focus is extraverted. I would try to determine whether you have a stronger preference for Ne or Ti. If Ne, then ENTP; if Ti, then INTP. You sound more ENTP to me personally.

sworm09 said:
I think that Ne is most of the reason I keep finding myself questioning my type.

Probably! :D As an ENFP I completely understand. :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Listen to [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION].

ENxPs really can seem introverted and it does throw things off because of it, testing-wise. People can confuse the extroverted part of the equation by assuming it must be people that it applies to, but it's environment that matters the most. Everything you see that talks of ENxPs and people, replace it with environment (of which people are included) and it may seem much easier to tell which you are.