User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: S or N

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Default S or N

Is it really possible to have no preference between S and? Because I test with a 1% preference for S, but I'm really not sure what I am. I keep seeing that ESFJs apparently blindly follow social conventions, which is not me... In actuality, I probably do follow a lot of social conventions, but not blindly. I over think pretty much everything.

I'm very practical and down to earth and generally look at the big picture. However, I am also constantly planning for the future and trying to solve problems. I spend a lot of time ruminating on future possibilities, as well as things that have happened in the past.

So, basically, I would like some help. Opinions? Questions? I'm pretty open to sharing just about anything.

Is it really possible for me to have no preference? Or am I just an S with anxiety?
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

If you ask me to schedule a language class for you and I haven't done so in weeks. What would you do?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    If you ask me to schedule a language class for you and I haven't done so in weeks. What would you do?
    I'm not sure I understand the question... Is this like a college course? Why are scheduling it for me?

All that aside, my first question would probably be "why haven't you done this for me?"
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by eport11 View Post
    Is it really possible to have no preference between S and? Because I test with a 1% preference for S, but I'm really not sure what I am. I keep seeing that ESFJs apparently blindly follow social conventions, which is not me... In actuality, I probably do follow a lot of social conventions, but not blindly. I over think pretty much everything.

I'm very practical and down to earth and generally look at the big picture. However, I am also constantly planning for the future and trying to solve problems. I spend a lot of time ruminating on future possibilities, as well as things that have happened in the past.

So, basically, I would like some help. Opinions? Questions? I'm pretty open to sharing just about anything.

Is it really possible for me to have no preference? Or am I just an S with anxiety?
    You could have a relatively weak preference to the point of practically none, yes.

And whoever on here really believes that ESFJs blindly follow social rules has a lot of studying left to do! That is definitely a nasty, untrue stereotype.

IMO, the key difference between N and S is in conceptual/theoretical versus realistic/practical. Most Js tend to be planners, and that often involves looking at a big picture and thinking about the future.

I don't see a reason to question ESFJ for you thus far.

Are you a conceptual top-down learner, grasping theories first and then using them to arrange facts, or are you a pragmatic bottom-up learner, starting with the facts first and then assembling them into structures?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I would say pragmatic bottom-up. I like to start with facts to get a baseline understanding. Then from there I tend to try to look beyond the facts for potential causes. Once I have a basic semi-organized structure I try to branch out and gain a better understanding of the more abstract aspects of a concept.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by eport11 View Post
    I would say pragmatic bottom-up. I like to start with facts to get a baseline understanding. Then from there I tend to try to look beyond the facts for potential causes. Once I have a basic semi-organized structure I try to branch out and gain a better understanding of the more abstract aspects of a concept.
    That would be good evidence for S, then.

Ns generally have a hard time keeping track of concrete facts if they don't have an abstract structure to make sense of them in.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Have you looked into the differences of ESFJ vs ENFJ?

It seems as though you are very sure of Fe preference. So it boils down to whether you're more Ni/Se or Si/Ne.

ESFJ: Fe/Si/Ne/Ti
    ENFJ: Fe/Ni/Se/Ti

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...j-vs-esfj.html
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Have you looked into the differences of ESFJ vs ENFJ?

It seems as though you are very sure of Fe preference. So it boils down to whether you're more Ni/Se or Si/Ne.

ESFJ: Fe/Si/Ne/Ti
    ENFJ: Fe/Ni/Se/Ti

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...j-vs-esfj.html
    That helped a bit. I am very future focused like an N, but I am extremely practical in my planning of it. And I really tend to be more realistic than idealistic. I think I solve problems like an S though. I always have to start the with the facts. But, I also always want to know the "why?"
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Okay, so I finally decided on S... But, I just retook HumanMetrics and I got N, by like 20%. So, I took the similarminds one, which says I favor S by 50%. Is there a better online test out there?
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

You can take the official "Step I" MBTI here.