• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INTJ, INTP, or ENTP. Struggling to answer this.

stephsharik

I have done a lot of reading on these types. I mostly see myself as an INTJ or an ENTP, but any of these three can represent me fairly accurately. Is it possible to fit more than one type? Or to fit no type?

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'd be curious to see your results on the official "Step I" MBTI, which you can take here.

And, if you're interested, the Big Five test I generally point people to is this similarminds Big Five/SLOAN test, which will (purport to) type you on the Big Five dimension (Neuroticism, aka Emotional Stability) that doesn't have a corresponding MBTI dimension, as well as providing a potentially useful "second opinion" on your MBTI preferences. And I've put some more information about the Big Five and that similarminds test in the spoiler.

Also, in case they're of any use to you, the next spoiler has online profile roundups for the four NT types.

If your test results seem to narrow you down to two (or three) likeliest possibilities, a possible way to give prospective type-me contributors more information to go on is to read through some profiles of those types and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction — but, if you're going to take those linked tests and post your results, you may want to do that first and wait to get some more feedback on those before you decide which profiles it makes sense to be reading.

PS: Hopefully needless to say, if you've had it with tests and/or reading profiles, feel free to ignore this post.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you more into diversity, theorizing, or maximizing?

stephsharik

Results of the Step 1 MBTI test.

ENTP: Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another. Dominant function: Extraverted Intuition. Auxiliary function: Introverted Thinking.

Extraversion: E 11

Introversion: I 10

Sensing: S 6

Intuition: N 20

Thinking: T 16

Feeling: F 8

Judging: J 7

Perceiving: P 15

Preference clarity
E slight
N moderate
T moderate
P moderate

Last edited:

stephsharik

Big Five Test Results

Extroversion |||||||||||||| 56%
Orderliness |||||||||||| 48%
Emotional Stability |||||||||||||||||| 72%
Accommodation |||||||||||| 50%
Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||| 62%

The Big Five is currently the most accepted personality model in the scientific community. The Big Five emerged from the work of multiple independent scientists/researchers starting in the 1950s who using different techniques obtained similar results. Those results were that there are five distinct personality traits/dimensions. Here are your results on each dimension:

Extroversion results were moderately high which suggests you are, at times, overly talkative, outgoing, sociable and interacting at the expense of developing your own individual interests and internally based identity.

Orderliness results were medium which suggests you are moderately organized, structured, and self controlled while still remaining flexible, varied, and fun.

Emotional Stability results were high which suggests you are very relaxed, calm, secure, and optimistic.

Accommodation results were medium which suggests you are moderately kind natured, trusting, and helpful while still maintaining your own interests.

Inquisitiveness results were moderately high which suggests you are intellectual, curious, imaginative but possibly not very practical.

Your Global5/SLOAN type is SCUEI Your Primary type is Calm

Last edited:

stephsharik

[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION]
I don't fully understand the concepts behind those terms so I don't really know how to answer your question. Yes, all three possibilities (to my understanding) are applicable to me.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
As you probably gathered, your Big Five type is equivalent to MBTI ENxP.

As I mentioned in my first post, it's arguable that the percentage scores on that Big Five test (because of the Likert-scale design) can make a better claim to being some kind of indication of the strength of your preferences than the MBTI scores. So, it may be (but may not be; it's just one test) significant that your P-equivalent score (the 48% Orderliness score) was almost exactly in the middle. And your T-equivalent score (the 50% Accommodation score) was exactly in the middle. You only scored T (i.e., SLOAN "E") because that happens to be the tie-breaker rule.

And both the MBTI and the Big Five test put you very close to the borderline on E/I.

It's often the case that the scores on those two tests help narrow down the uncertain dimensions to just one or two but, lucky for you, you've arguably got three in play. And I wouldn't necessarily be too quick to dismiss the F possibility (if you'd be so inclined). FWIW, it's been my experience in four years of type-me experience at INTJforum that it's not uncommon for INFJs to mistype as INTJs (often based on test results) and then later conclude they're INFJ, whereas the reverse scenario (tests INFJ and later concludes they're INTJ) is rare.

In any case, as I said in my first post, one way you could proceed is to read through some profiles of the types you think are the most likely candidates and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction. It sounds from your OP like INTJ, INTP and ENTP may be the ones you relate to the best.

In case it makes you feel any better, Jung himself said he thought more people were essentially in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted, and Myers allowed for the possibility of middleness on all four MBTI dimensions. As I said, I've been participating in type-me threads at INTJforum for four years, and the most common type-me dilemma over there (by a substantial margin) is "Am I INTJ or INTP?" It's probably also worth noting that quite a few of those INTJforum type ponderers end up labelling themselves "INTx" and, in case you've heard that it's impossible to be an INTx because crossing the J/P borderline flips all your functions, you may want to read this PerC post.

And finally, in case you're interested in quite a lot of input from me on J/P, you'll find it in the spoiler in this post.

As with my first post, please only read any of the linked posts and/or follow any of my other suggestions to the extent that you're otherwise inclined to do so for your own reasons. (I'm a hardcore T myself.)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have done a lot of reading on these types. I mostly see myself as an INTJ or an ENTP, but any of these three can represent me fairly accurately. Is it possible to fit more than one type? Or to fit no type?

Take this Jungian functions test and let's see what you score...

Functions test

Copy and paste your results.

stephsharik

Take this Jungian functions test and let's see what you score...

Functions test

Copy and paste your results.

Your Cognitive Functions:
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||||||||||||||||| 8.24
Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||| 7.255
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||| 7.22
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||| 5.95
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||| 5.73
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||| 5.62
Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||| 1.25
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||| 1

Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is very developed.
Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is moderate.
Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is moderate.
Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is low.
Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is poorly developed.

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ISFJ
or Second Possibility: INFJ
or Third Possibility: INTP

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Si - Ni - Ti - Fe - Ne - Te - Se - Fi

stephsharik

In any case, as I said in my first post, one way you could proceed is to read through some profiles of the types you think are the most likely candidates and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction. It sounds from your OP like INTJ, INTP and ENTP may be the ones you relate to the best.

Okay, so I browsed through a couple of articles and noted the phrases that evoked a relatively strong "That's Me" or "Not Me" reaction. This is just a smidge of them though.
INTJ
That's Me:
1. Will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.
2. Free from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.
3. It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions.
4. They usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead.
5. Spend a lot of time inside their own minds
6. They dislike messiness and inefficiency, and anything that is muddled or unclear
7. See patterns and meanings in the world.
8. They don't take criticism personally, and are open to changing their opinions when they're shown a better idea or better way of doing something.
9. May be unaware (and sometimes uncaring) of how they come across to others.
10. May quickly dismiss input from others without really considering it
11. May apply their judgment more often towards others, rather than towards themselves.
12. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.
13. Authority based on position, rank, title, or publication has absolutely no force. This type is not likely to succumb to he magic of slogans, watchwords, or shibboleths. If an idea or position makes sense to an INTJ, it will be adopted, if it doesn't, it won't, regardless of who took the position or generated the idea

Not Me:
1. May have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings
2. Able to concentrate and focus.
3. May look at external ideas and people with the primary purpose of finding fault
4. May take pride in their ability to be critical and find fault in people and things.
5. May believe that they're always right.
6. May hold grudges, and have difficulty forgiving people
7. Are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest.

INTP
That's Me:
1. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.
2. Will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off.
3. Relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible.
4. They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves.
5. An INTP arguing a point may very well be trying to convince himself as much as his opposition.
6. With a well-developed understanding of their environment and the ability to act very quickly, they may good athletes.
7. They see the value of principles that are not strictly logical.
8. The INTP gets "stuck in a rut" and only does those things that are known and comfortable to the INTP.
9. The INTP resists and rejects anything that doesn't support their own experiential understanding of the world. If they perceive that something is not logical, they reject it as unimportant.
10. They may unknowingly or uncaringly hurt people's feelings.
11. They may be completely unaware of how to express their inner world to others in a meaningful way.
12. They may be completely unaware of the type of communication that is often desireable and (to some degree) expected in an intimate relationship. If they are aware of the kinds of things that are appropriate to say and do to foster emotional bonding, they may be unable to appreciate the value of such actions. They may feel too vulnerable to express themselves in this fashion, and so reject the entire idea.
13. Under stress, they may show intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the situation.
14. INTPs do not like to lead or control people.
15. They're very tolerant and flexible in most situations, unless one of their firmly held beliefs has been violated or challenged, in which case they may take a very rigid stance.
16. They are not likely to place much value on traditional goals such as popularity and security.
17. They usually have complex characters, and may tend to be restless and temperamental.
18. Have unconventional thought patterns which allows them to analyze ideas in new ways.

Not Me:
1. Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought.
2. They have a natural ability to focus and get "into the zone" when working on a problem. They can absorb their minds completely with an issue, and work it through with amazing speed and accuracy.
3. They are not overly demanding in personal relationships, and have simple daily needs. They are often easy and enjoyable to live with.
4. They reject people who think or live differently than themselves.
5. INTPs value knowledge above all else.
6. They hate to work on routine things - they would much prefer to build complex theoretical solutions, and leave the implementation of the system to others.
7. The INTP is likely to be very shy when it comes to meeting new people.

ENTP
That's Me:
1. ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their debating skills.
2. ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they can become petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences.
3. ENTPs may sometimes give the impression of being largely oblivious to the rest of humanity except as an audience: good, bad, or potential. In general this is unfair – but it can be difficult to get an ENTP’s attention when they’re not immediately aware of you, especially for an Introvert.
4. ENTPs are also quick to spot a kindred spirit, and good at acquiring friends of similar temperament and interests.
5. he best approach in communicating with an ENTP is to be straightforward.
6. The ability to hold many points of view in mind and see their differing merits.
7. Able to give quick and diverse answers to any question of interest.
8. Seeing the many connections between events and things which are not immediately obvious to others.
9. A talent for innovative creation in writing, music or the visual arts.
10. Blindness to the needs and feelings of others not directly involved in the ENTP's current area of interest.
11. Tendency to become overly annoyed by minor setbacks or small things that have to be set right before the goal can be realized.

Not Me:
1. Being able to juggle many differing jobs or processes at the one time.
2. The ability to solve puzzles and problems that have no obvious way to resolution.
3. The ability to define schematically a new structure or design and know it will work.
4. Knowing and giving to others the very thing they need when they are not sure themselves.
5. The gift of knowing which new ideas or changes will enhance rather than detract from their relationships with others.
6. The inability to maintain a comfortable situation or relationship once its possibilities have been realized or exhausted.
7. A tendency to consider careful or meticulous thinkers as unworthy plodders or time wasters.
8. A tendency to be arrogant or boastful, or to demean those who cannot see the same answers.

Recently typed into this category...
INFJ:
That's Me:
1. Beneath the quiet exterior, INFJs hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life.
2. INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden.
3. Though affable and sympathetic to most, INFJs are selective about their friends. Such a friendship is a symbiotic bond that transcends mere words.
4. INFJs have a knack for fluency in language and facility in communication.
5. Ability to see patterns and meanings in the world.
6. When given a goal or context, an INFJ is able to generate all kinds of possibilities. They're able to see the problem from many different angles.
7. They're not afraid of hard work, and will put forth a great deal of effort towards something that they believe in.
8. May be unaware (and sometimes uncaring) of how they come across to others
9. May quickly dismiss input from others without really considering it

Not Me:
1. They understand how others are feeling.
2. Perfectionistic and idealistic, they always strive for the best.
3. Able to concentrate and focus.
4. May always find others at fault for any problems in their lives
5. May believe that they're always right
6. May be tense, wound up, have high blood pressure and find it difficult to relax.
7. May hold grudges, and have difficulty forgiving people.

I was typed with this one a couple of times.
ENTJ:
That's Me:
1. Haha, I really couldn't a characteristic that evoked a strong "That's Me" reaction.

Not Me:
1. ENTJs have a natural tendency to marshal and direct.
2. ENTJs are often "larger than life" in describing their projects or proposals.
3. They see what needs to be done, and frequently assign roles to their fellows.
4. They have a drive for leadership.
5. There is not much room for error in the world of the ENTJ
6. Have difficulty seeing things from outside their own perspective.
7. ENTJs are very forceful, decisive individuals.
8. Able to cut straight to the chase in any situation and not be sidetracked by non-essential issues
9. A propensity for leadership which follows naturally from their ability to control and manage real time/real world situations
10. Second to none time and space management skills, everything is organized and in its place
11. May become so engrossed in a plan or ambition that personal needs and the needs of others are forgotten.
12. May believe only their own view of the world or a situation is correct, even to the point that they make it into a kind of dogma which must be followed by those around them.

A side note: I have been focusing a lot on personal growth these past few years, attending to my weaker traits, trying to enhance my stronger traits. I am a 20 year old male, born and raised in the USA. I have recently gone through two major (perhaps Life-Changing) events in my life; one emotional (ending a personal relationship with a girl for the first time), one spiritual (where I explored and vigorously tested the foundation and substance of everything I believed). I have changed more in this year alone than in the last ten years combined (and I don't think I am exaggerating). I have grown a lot, many of my values have changed, my world-view was altered and perhaps the lines that separate these personality types/cognitive functions have been blurred a little. Is it possible that this lends to my uncertainty on the subject?

stephsharik

Surprise, surprise: Cognitive function tests are crap.

If I thought that cognitive tests were the stuff then I probably wouldn't have joined and posted on this forum. I would have taken my initial results for granted (as did the career counselor in my college) and would have gone on my merry way.
I do not accept that human beings can be categorized into only sixteen personality types.

My goal in searching for the type that most matches me is not to define myself, but to enhance myself.
In any case, thank you for your input. ;)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No doubt you have traits from all three types.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'll be doing a reply to your latest post in the near future, but in the meantime:

What would you describe as your main interests (both academic and non-academic)?

What careers have you considered?

In thinking about careers, would you say you're mostly focused on finding one that will compensate you reasonably well for doing work that you find satisfying in terms of being interesting, challenging, and calling on your creativity/knowledge/skills, etc., or would you say that, more important than that stuff (or maybe as a necessary supplement to that stuff), you have a core drive to have a job that's meaningful in terms of improving people's lives or otherwise making the world a better place?

stephsharik

I'll be doing a reply to your latest post in the near future, but in the meantime:

What would you describe as your main interests (both academic and non-academic)?

What careers have you considered?

In thinking about careers, would you say you're mostly focused on finding one that will compensate you reasonably well for doing work that you find satisfying in terms of being interesting, challenging, and calling on your creativity/knowledge/skills, etc., or would you say that, more important than that stuff (or maybe as a necessary supplement to that stuff), you have a core drive to have a job that's meaningful in terms of improving people's lives or otherwise making the world a better place?

My main interests (hobbies mostly?):
Reading, (Mostly fiction, but gradually expanding my horizons to include theoretical books.)
Philosophy
Sketching
Music/Songwriting/Poetry?Singing
Educating myself/School (things that interest me, though)
Making connections with people, building networks (for personal enrichment mostly, and potential usefulness in the future)
Understanding how people work/function, especially myself
Cooking (but only as a hobby)
Some select sports.
Road trips and general travelling.

Career:
I am in college, soon to be in a Dental Hygiene program. Before that, I was heading for a PharmD (Doctor of Pharmacy) program.
I am majoring in dental hygiene because the pay is decent ("it's not about the money" kind of guy), very flexible schedule/hours, and it is low-risk in the sense that making mistakes have small consequences when compared to, say, surgeons, dentists, pharmacists. I backed out of pharmacy because of the difficulty of the program, the length of the program, and the controversy surrounding prescription medication.
I find that I don't really care if my career is meaningful by improving people's lives or making the world a better place. "...mostly focused on finding one that will compensate you reasonably well for doing work that you find satisfying in terms of being interesting, challenging, and calling on your creativity/knowledge/skills, etc." seems to be about right to me.

Tentative Self-Analysis
I talk a lot, but what I say doesn't always have substance. I am generally friendly. People tend to be familiar with me (even when I don't really know them) and it is easy to get to know me. I look for the best in people, tend to be trusting about people's motives. I readily forgive and forget and give second chances.
However, I often feel unappreciated and misunderstood. Sometimes I leave the crowds behind and seek my alone time. People energize me at times, and other times they suck the life out of me. Being alone is often stimulating for introspection, but sometimes it leaves me feeling drained.
I dislike being the center of attention. (Though if I am comfortable enough with the people around me, or know what I am talking about, I will step into the limelight for a moment.)
I handle responsibility well, (when I accept it), but I tend to shirk responsibility and accountability. I like to dream, and my mind wanders often. I am a bad listener, have difficulty focusing on sounds (unless it's music). I am fiercely loyal, and love to work. When I am told what to do, I do it well. When I am supposed to figure out what needs to be done on my own, I struggle. I have no desire to lead others or be in charge, but (when necessary) there are times when I take over and actually do lead.
Not detail oriented, but very good at seeing the big picture. I keep an open mind about many things, unless I have become firm in my beliefs.
Status doesn't really mean much to me. I don't care if someone is famous, or rich, or in an authoritative position. I am rarely impressed, (though I will act impressed for the sake of those trying so hard). I tend to be pragmatic and straightforward. "What you see is what you get" mostly applies to me.
I am told that I am attractive, but I don't put a whole lot of meaning into that. I prefer attractive people, but I don't subscribe to the "beauty is good" fallacy.
I have a quirky sense of humor, enjoying gags that are based on wordplay, contradictions/paradoxes, double-meanings, and can just barely tolerate puns. I am not very funny, but laugh often. (Though sometimes I fake laugh to show my appreciation for a joke/gag).
I like melancholy, especially in music. Being sad or nostalgic paradoxically makes me happy. (That might not make sense, but oh well.)
I desire perfection, order, and being systematic, but usually do not succeed in achieving any of those things and resign myself to this.
Sometimes I debate for the sake of debating. It helps me analyze both sides of the argument and determine the positions that have merit. This has caused me trouble in the past.
I grasp difficult concepts fairly quickly. I have an exceptional memory and I use my past memories and experiences to make connections and associations.
I usually understand how and why certain systems work. I am able to explain why a person acted a certain way, or why an event unfolded the way it did. I understand the way people think and operate, but I have difficulty understanding their emotional state Here And Now. (their mood, their attitude towards me, subtle body language, hidden emotions-these things are not obvious to me)
I have dedication/motivational issues. I have many, MANY plans and lists of things to do, but I rarely get started on them. And of the plans that I do get started on, few are completed.
I can easily slip away into an imaginary world I created. These worlds always have sets of rules that they follow, systems and order. I create character profiles based on my past experiences with people and use anyone and everyone as a source for these profiles (including myself).
These profiles help me understand human behavior and predict the actions of people I interact with.
I have trouble leaving my comfort zone, but I am slowly pushing myself to expand its boundaries.
In a group, I am at times loud and at other times quiet. It always depends on the people around me and on my mood. Sometimes I can greet a random stranger and hit it off, other times I can barely bring myself to ask what time it is. :|

I greatly dislike cognitive function tests that ask me if I consider myself to be more introverted or extroverted because I am BOTH. I cannot honestly say that I am more one than the other.

Anyways, I know this is a lot, but I am hoping that it will be useful to someone with a better understanding of the cognitive functions. I tried to research them myself, but found it difficult to stay objective.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could you elaborate on that, please?

You're not "a type." Your personality consists of a lot of different traits from various "types." If you happen to have more traits from one "type" than all the others, then that becomes your "type."

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
What MBTI tests lack is a much needed sarcasm test. Then they'd be infallible.