User Tag List

123 Last

Default Am I INTJ, INTP, or ENTP. Struggling to answer this.

I have done a lot of reading on these types. I mostly see myself as an INTJ or an ENTP, but any of these three can represent me fairly accurately. Is it possible to fit more than one type? Or to fit no type?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'd be curious to see your results on the official "Step I" MBTI, which you can take here.

And, if you're interested, the Big Five test I generally point people to is this similarminds Big Five/SLOAN test, which will (purport to) type you on the Big Five dimension (Neuroticism, aka Emotional Stability) that doesn't have a corresponding MBTI dimension, as well as providing a potentially useful "second opinion" on your MBTI preferences. And I've put some more information about the Big Five and that similarminds test in the spoiler.

Also, in case they're of any use to you, the next spoiler has online profile roundups for the four NT types.

If your test results seem to narrow you down to two (or three) likeliest possibilities, a possible way to give prospective type-me contributors more information to go on is to read through some profiles of those types and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction — but, if you're going to take those linked tests and post your results, you may want to do that first and wait to get some more feedback on those before you decide which profiles it makes sense to be reading.

PS: Hopefully needless to say, if you've had it with tests and/or reading profiles, feel free to ignore this post.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Are you more into diversity, theorizing, or maximizing?

Results of the Step 1 MBTI test.

ENTP: Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another. Dominant function: Extraverted Intuition. Auxiliary function: Introverted Thinking.

Extraversion: E 11

Introversion: I 10

Sensing: S 6

Intuition: N 20

Thinking: T 16

Feeling: F 8

Judging: J 7

Perceiving: P 15

Preference clarity
    E slight
    N moderate
    T moderate
    P moderate
    Last edited by stephsharik; 10-20-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Tidying up :-)

Big Five Test Results

Extroversion |||||||||||||| 56%
    Orderliness |||||||||||| 48%
    Emotional Stability |||||||||||||||||| 72%
    Accommodation |||||||||||| 50%
    Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||| 62%

The Big Five is currently the most accepted personality model in the scientific community. The Big Five emerged from the work of multiple independent scientists/researchers starting in the 1950s who using different techniques obtained similar results. Those results were that there are five distinct personality traits/dimensions. Here are your results on each dimension:

Extroversion results were moderately high which suggests you are, at times, overly talkative, outgoing, sociable and interacting at the expense of developing your own individual interests and internally based identity.

Orderliness results were medium which suggests you are moderately organized, structured, and self controlled while still remaining flexible, varied, and fun.

Emotional Stability results were high which suggests you are very relaxed, calm, secure, and optimistic.

Accommodation results were medium which suggests you are moderately kind natured, trusting, and helpful while still maintaining your own interests.

Inquisitiveness results were moderately high which suggests you are intellectual, curious, imaginative but possibly not very practical.

Your Global5/SLOAN type is SCUEI Your Primary type is Calm
    Last edited by stephsharik; 10-20-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Tidying up :-)

@RaptorWizard
    I don't fully understand the concepts behind those terms so I don't really know how to answer your question. Yes, all three possibilities (to my understanding) are applicable to me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

As you probably gathered, your Big Five type is equivalent to MBTI ENxP.

As I mentioned in my first post, it's arguable that the percentage scores on that Big Five test (because of the Likert-scale design) can make a better claim to being some kind of indication of the strength of your preferences than the MBTI scores. So, it may be (but may not be; it's just one test) significant that your P-equivalent score (the 48% Orderliness score) was almost exactly in the middle. And your T-equivalent score (the 50% Accommodation score) was exactly in the middle. You only scored T (i.e., SLOAN "E") because that happens to be the tie-breaker rule.

And both the MBTI and the Big Five test put you very close to the borderline on E/I.

It's often the case that the scores on those two tests help narrow down the uncertain dimensions to just one or two but, lucky for you, you've arguably got three in play. And I wouldn't necessarily be too quick to dismiss the F possibility (if you'd be so inclined). FWIW, it's been my experience in four years of type-me experience at INTJforum that it's not uncommon for INFJs to mistype as INTJs (often based on test results) and then later conclude they're INFJ, whereas the reverse scenario (tests INFJ and later concludes they're INTJ) is rare.

In any case, as I said in my first post, one way you could proceed is to read through some profiles of the types you think are the most likely candidates and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction. It sounds from your OP like INTJ, INTP and ENTP may be the ones you relate to the best.

In case it makes you feel any better, Jung himself said he thought more people were essentially in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted, and Myers allowed for the possibility of middleness on all four MBTI dimensions. As I said, I've been participating in type-me threads at INTJforum for four years, and the most common type-me dilemma over there (by a substantial margin) is "Am I INTJ or INTP?" It's probably also worth noting that quite a few of those INTJforum type ponderers end up labelling themselves "INTx" and, in case you've heard that it's impossible to be an INTx because crossing the J/P borderline flips all your functions, you may want to read this PerC post.

And finally, in case you're interested in quite a lot of input from me on J/P, you'll find it in the spoiler in this post.

As with my first post, please only read any of the linked posts and/or follow any of my other suggestions to the extent that you're otherwise inclined to do so for your own reasons. (I'm a hardcore T myself.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by stephsharik View Post
    I have done a lot of reading on these types. I mostly see myself as an INTJ or an ENTP, but any of these three can represent me fairly accurately. Is it possible to fit more than one type? Or to fit no type?
    Take this Jungian functions test and let's see what you score...

Functions test

Copy and paste your results.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Take this Jungian functions test and let's see what you score...

Functions test

Copy and paste your results.

Your Cognitive Functions:
    Introverted Sensation (Si) |||||||||||||||||| 8.24
    Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||| 7.255
    Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||| 7.22
    Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||| 5.95
    Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||| 5.73
    Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||| 5.62
    Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||| 1.25
    Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||| 1

Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is very developed.
    Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is low.
    Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is poorly developed.

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
    Most Likely: ISFJ
    or Second Possibility: INFJ
    or Third Possibility: INTP

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
    Si - Ni - Ti - Fe - Ne - Te - Se - Fi

Surprise, surprise: Cognitive function tests are crap.