• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What the heck, type me. (video)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Your take does not surprise me really. I've noticed that by the time I meet/actually engage with people (because I'm introverted, it takes awhile sometimes) they've usually formed a stereotypical judgement of "who I am" based on my physical appearance. After at least an hour of conversation or time spent with said people, they are usually very confused and admit to writing me off as weak and shy (when I'm really not). One guy even said this verbatim, "Wow, and all this time I though you...like baked pies for a living." Insulting, but revealing.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but I'm truly not a fragile golden leaf (though it makes a pretty metaphor).

I begged my older brother as a child to be on his paintball team, and got open fired on instead. I think I could handle a little nerf.

Which brings me to this:

Thank you Ene! I'm definitely going to read and address the article portion of your post later, but this first part really speaks to me. When I was as a sophomore in High School, while in the locker room after gym one day I happened on a bully situation too! I tried to verbally diffuse it, but that didn't really work. Long story short, I ended up punching the girl (the bully) in the face out of self defense (thanks to fights with my brother!). I've intervened on the behalf of others numerous other times too, and though it usually doesn't escalate to physical action I've never hesitated to engage in that way. I think that's the reason I resonate so with William Wallace (besides the fact that I'm part Scottish-- haha.) and similar characters. Come to think of it, the only movies I ever cry in are films that have some sort of sacrificial bravery, revolution or just act of courage.

So helpful, but now I'm even more torn. I'll read over the article and get back to you, thanks again for your input! :)

in the realm of Se, you are fragile. In the realm of Fi and Ne, you are not. I'm sure you're a tough cookie. But if we were in a relationship you would find me abrasive. I'm sure you could "find time for nerf" lol. But that's not the point.

there is ALWAYS time for nerf. :laugh:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
More specifically, she's going to be an INFj-Fi in socionics. This means she is Fi-Ne, with a primary emphasis on Fi over Ne, compared to the goofier Ne subtype.

Check out the difference between youtubers celebok vs mkingkilla. ISTP with a focus on Ti versus an ISTP with a focus on Se. Celebok looks more like he should be an ISTJ, while mkingkilla looks more like a typical stp.

Socionics subtype is a big reason between many mistypes. I myself am an ESTP-Ti, so I'm going to be more cerebral and calculating than your typical beach bum estp. Its the difference between an ESTP brain surgeon, and an ESTP football player.

INFJ-Ni Summer Glau
INFJ-Fe Claire Forlani

ISTJ-Si Josh Brolin
ISTJ-Te Richard Dean anderson

ENFP-Ne Sandra Bullock
ENFP-Fi Anne Coulter

ISTP-Ti Mark Strong (arguably ESTP-Ti)
ISTP-Se Seth Greene

ESTP-Ti Taylor Kitsch
ESTP-Se Madonna

ESFJ-Si Rihanna
ESFJ-Fe Bruce Campbell

etc.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] where are you reading the descriptions about the types?

All over the blasted internet quite honestly, I doubt there is an INFJ or INFP description I haven't read. That's probably not a great thing, I realize. Is there one you favor?

B

brainheart

Yes, this is actually one of the first videos I watched in my search for the difference between INFP and INFJ, and though I can see the marked difference between them as individuals it's still difficult to choose only one set of behaviors for myself.

I would do as the woman did in regards to sitting on the couch in the beginning-- asking if it was kosher (I actually think I do that a lot). I've always felt like I lived by a "code of honor" (I know that's cheesy), but respect is a huge part of that.

That said, I would (and have) totally go of on a visceral rant about a topic of importance to me if I felt it applied-- my question though, is isn't this a 4 trait too?

I would also re-assure anyone who felt like they talked too long, but I'd never outright lie. I'd probably say, "yeah, it was long but it was valuable insight because ____, _____ and _____."

I try to be respectful, too, but a lot of times I feel like I'm reminded to be respectful by Fe users or those with a dominant social instinct. I don't have a code of honor, but I have my values. I don't think a code of honor is cheesy at all, and I wonder if Fe would be more likely to make a comment about it being cheesy.

I think both INFJ and INFP fours can go on visceral rants. I think INFJs are smoother, though. I think they're always more conscious of how their rants will affect others. Andrew Garfield displayed the INFP rant so perfectly. It's like your Fi gets so passionate about whatever it is so you can go off on this tirade and it's only after awhile that you think- oh wait, there's people listening to this.

It's interesting, because I've always wondered what an INFJ of my same etype and stacking would be like, and I think you might be it.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I found the following post on Personality Café and it links to a website: I thought it was pretty interesting and may be helpful in helping you to decide:) I'm sorry that it's lengthy, but sometimes it's necessary to be lengthy in order to present a viable set of criteria. I hope that there will be something in here, or in something some of us have said that will help you reach a decision on your preferred type.

BORROWED FROM PERSONALITY CAFE

When Fe is preferred:

•You give attention to creating and maintaining harmonious relationships, often using social convention to keep harmony, to make people feel comfortable and included, and to keep the group intact.
•Often you are at ease with social conversations and knowing just the right words to say to someone.
•You easily disclose personal details to encourage others to express themselves.
•You place importance on making space for the expression of feelings -- positive and negative.
•You organize time, space, and thing in relation to the effects on people.
•You often feel pulled to take care of everyone or even whole groups, either physically or emotionally. Meeting the needs of others is energizing until your own needs are ignored for too long.

******this is my own opinion***Hence: INFJs walk a line between introversion and extroversion. The are often popular and are at ease interacting with others. They will often/sometimescome across as extroverted and friendly, with just a hint of timidity. They may SEEM non-confrontational, and usually are. However, if push comes to shove, and they believe that some helpless group or person is being "hurt" by someone more powerful, they will show backbones of steal and sometimes, fists of iron.

When Fi is a preferred process...
•Often you have a gut feeling about whether personal, group, or organizational behavior is congruent with values.
•You often check behavior for authenticity and against beliefs to maintain inner harmony. When that harmony exists, there is a sense of peace.
•When you feel strongly, you point out contradictions and incongruities.
•Fundamental truths are often the basis for your actions, and standing up for these truths is energizing and compelling.
•Often, you do not put your values and beliefs upon others or share them publicly until they are violated. These values can be highly specific to the individual or universals such as freedom, loyalty, and goodness. Why would anyone put their values or beliefs upon others before they are violated? That's like demanding silence, before a speech is rudely interrupted. ?
•You tend to see everything as having a value (or worth), and view things in constant relation to one another.

The N functions

INFJs prefer Ni. They use it in the inner world, and it manifests through their dominant process. They use it in a "heroic" fashion -- It's how they "save the day."
INFPs prefer Ne. They use it in the outer world, and it manifests through their auxiliary process. They use it as a "good parent" would -- helping others by exploring a multitude of possible outcomes, options, and potentials for people. They enjoy looking for patterns and themes associated with how people live life, often using their imaginations to explore fictional worlds.

When Ni is a preferred process...
•You usually feel a certainty about what is going to happen, often without much detail and without being able to trace the actual data that would support the prediction. Yes! People always ask me, "why I feel that way" or "how I know that" and it's so frustrating because I have no idea usually.
•You focus on "what will be."
•You are energized by transformational visions of how someone can grow or of a completely original approach to get there.
•You are drawn to make those visions manifest.
•Frequently you experience flashes of insight that present themselves as very broad themes and complex whole patterns or systems of thought without being triggered by external events.
•Inner images come as a knowing that taps into universal symbols and with a certainty that they are true.

When Ne is a preferred process...

•Much reading "between the lines" occurs.
•Potential possibilities and meanings are "revealed" and must be explored.
•You feel fully engaged in emerging new approaches to doing things and are energized by discovering other perspectives in an ever-shifting succession of ideas or insights triggered by the particular situation, much like brainstorming.
•You frequently experience a flight of ideas that brings relevant pieces of information from one context into another.
•"What is" is not seen for what it is but for its relationship to other things.
•Everything is perceived in a context of a web of relationships. Nothing stands alone or is disconnected.

Tertiary functioning

INFJ Tertiary
Introverted Thinking (Ti)
•Clarifying principles
•Categorizing and classifying
•Analyzing
•Checking consistency

•Universal

"This is why . . ."
"It does . . ."

INFJs are drawn to categorizing. They display a knack for systematizing and can do it quickly. They typically define terms, or ask others to define theirs.

INFP Tertiary
Introverted Sensing (Si)
•Reviewing
•Linking
•Comparing and contrasting
•Noticing match and mismatch
•Past

"This is how it has always been."
"This reminds me of . . ."
INFPs are often well rooted in the past, with a good memory of things that have happened historically, and are attracted to "collecting" facts.

The inferior function
A typical aspect of the inferior function, which is also connected with its unadaptedness and primitiveness, is its touchiness and tyranny. Most people, when their inferior function is in any way touched upon, become terribly childish: they can't stand the slightest criticism and always feel attacked. Here they are uncertain of themselves; with that, naturally, they tyrannize everybody around them because everybody has to walk carefully. If you want to say something about another person's inferior function, it is like walking on eggs; people cannot stand any criticism there. A rite d'entrée is required. One must wait for the right moment, for a peaceful atmosphere, and then carefully, with a long introductory speech, one might get across some slight criticism about the inferior function.
Let's start the investigation by looking at which cognitive processes show up in the inferior position in both codes. For the INFJ, extraverted Sensing shows up as the inferiority complex, and for the INFP, extraverted Thinking shows up as the inferiority complex.

INFJs
Written by an INFJ:
And here's the crazy thing: whenever I would go out on acting auditions or do things where people were studying my looks, I wanted to die. I was soooooo self-conscious! I always felt like "I'm not pretty enough," "I'm not good enough." "They're noticing how ugly I am." I wanted to crawl under the chair and hide. Particularly for auditions when they videotaped me, I was always self-consciously thinking the camera picked up every wrinkle, my teeth were dingy, there were acne scars on my face, my hair was drab. I couldn't turn off this internal critic that would pick pick pick at me and tell me how unattractive I was! And of course this critic KNEW everybody else who was auditioning looked prettier, better dressed, more charming, more attractive. And I would do myself in time and time again in these situations. I always felt like I made a fool of myself by entering a Junior Miss Pageant in high school; I was a target for scorn when I tried out for the modeling squad in college.
It's a funny disparity - on the one hand I typically receive more than my share of compliments from people when I step out in public (the showoff Ta Da Child!), and yet I have a dreadful inferiority complex about my looks. My internal critic tells me I'm a hideous hag, and I'm always trying to compensate. And yet I am perpetually attracted to acting/auditioning, modeling, showing-off! It's danged if I do, and danged if I don't. Naturally, I don't take the easy way out by just avoiding those situations - no, I am attracted to them like a moth to the proverbial flame.

Now I need to emphasize here that my inferiority complex showed up around my appearance, but it also shows up around my accomplishments. It's about wanting to impress people. Other INFJs may experience their inferior in different ways related to their extraverted Sensing. Some INFJs express their Se through art, decorating, dancing, writing, or music, to name a few - so don't assume every INFJ is going to express their inferiority complex through what they wear. It often does have something to do with appearances, however - looking good or showing off!

If I do this, my inferiority complex is absolutely my ability to be successful. I graduated highschool by the skin of my teeth and never finished college because of a neurological sleep disorder I was diagnosed with at the age of 15. I've long been on the road less traveled and though I'm genuinely proud of it, sometimes that pride takes on a bitter cast. That I couldn't have become successful through a degree like everyone else, that truly I doubt my worth sometimes because I'm not a "real" professional (read: corporate world). In reality though I love what I do, and others commend my boldness and courage to venture into entrepreneurship like I have. Yet, I still criticize and call myself pathetic, an amature, failure, etc. Argh. :/

INFPs

Often INFPs enjoy planning, organizing, or arranging things -- one of my clients loves putting together jigsaw puzzles! Another will analyze weight charts and use a bathroom scale regularly to achieve her optimal weight. And this is where the inferiority complex around Te will show up. INFPs sometimes become really upset when they don't organize things as efficiently as they would like to. Perhaps they think through the steps needed to accomplish something, and then don't follow through.
In fact, Dr. Berens says that perhaps it is this aspirational use of Te that causes many INFPs to believe they have preferences for "J" rather than "P."
So, INFPs think they're organized when they actually aren't that much.

Written by an INFP:
But then I reflected on my inferior Te. One thing it may mean is that I tend to be sensitive about being called wrong. Because as a matter of fact, I often am wrong. I make mistakes, and I can be downright illogical. But because I know that, and because I'm sensitive about it, I try especially hard to *avoid* making mistakes of that kind. And when someone points out one of my mistakes, I freeze and get apologetic or defensive. I'm also timid about doing anything that might involve Te. Playing a game like chess, for instance.

Written by a friend of an INFP:
I can laugh now that I understand why I'm that way and be thankful that a wonderful friend of mine says, "It's not clutter or disorganization, it's lots of 'you' all over the place - it's you! Besides you can always find whatever you want, I've never seen you really lose anything."

I'm pretty organized, but as aforementioned not in a sterile way. I like a more organic organization, but it does bother me when things are out of place. I can't really work that way either, especially creatively. I have planned steps to finish a project before, and not followed through though.

Self-disclosure
If you're comfortable divulging personal information about yourself (particularly to strangers), you're more likely INFJ. You may not even classify much information about yourself as being "personal" --depending on the situation, everything is fair game. If, instead, you're inclined to be private and generally tight-lipped about yourself and your personal life, you're more likely INFP.
Here are the sorts of things that are topics of self-disclosure:
•your beliefs about the world, yourself, and others
•your values (what is important or not, what you like or don't, etc.)
•your emotional responses to events or to others
•your goals
This tendency to self-disclose or not shows up readily on many homepage websites. INFJs tend to self-disclose. INFPs like it when others self-disclose, but they usually aren't in a rush to do it themselves. To confound matters further, INFJs self-disclose more than they imagine they do, and INFPs self-disclose less than they realize.

I actually am pretty transparent about all of the above bullet points, but even things about hardship that I've been through, stupid decisions I've made or even stuff I currently struggle with. I'm a large believer that one of the reasons I have been allowed to hurt or experience turmoil is to share that story with others who may have been (or will be) hurt in the same way.

The Time Machine
Stand up and visualize time as a continuum flowing from future to past. Spatially indicate with your hands where the future, present, and past are, respectively, in relation to yourself. Try to actually FEEL where they are around you by touching them with your hands. After you have done so (for real! --not just in your head!), read this here below...
This is far from foolproof but kinda creepy when it works.
NJs tend to indicate the future in front of them, the present right where they are standing, and the past right behind them.
NPs tend to indicate the future off to the right, the past off to the left, and the present a few feet in front of them.
When questioned, NPs generally say that they observe time flow past them, whereas NJs generally say they are right in the middle of the flow.

Well that's annoying, when I actually stood up and did this I imagined past to my left and future to my right (mostly because the past can't be behind me, because I can still see it), but I even verbally said aloud that I was on that line of time (not standing behind it as the description reads). Argh.:dry:

Annoyances
INFJs will be annoyed by:
•moralizing
•generating options aloud
•stalling on decision-making
INFPs will be annoyed by:
•too much social convention
•not getting to explore option
•people who seem "judgmental"

Stress
When the INFP is in a stressful situation, their initial reaction is to "freeze." How they do this is by "adapting" to the situation, usually accommodating others until they can adjust and be effective. They will let the situation play out and just go with what's happening. To others, it may look as though they are doing *nothing*. After they adjust to the situation, they will "flow." When there is conflict, the emotion they tend to express is "sad."

When the INFJ is in a stressful situation, their initial reaction is "flight." How they do this is by "distancing" themselves from the situation, usually separating from the problem while buying time. They need to step back and consider what's going on. They tend to move away from what isn't liked, and sometimes even *stay* away from that. To others, it may look as if they are detached or are fleeing from the problem. But after they adjust to the situation, they will "face" the problem with a solution in hand. When there is conflict, the emotion they tend to express is "afraid."

Ack, I can't relate to either of these at all. I tend to engage or act pretty immediately-- I went through several stress situations in my head: emergency situation where someone is injured, when someone says or does something hurtful to me, running late, etc. When I do err, it's on the side of speaking too quickly and saying something I later regret. Stress or intensity are not difficult for me generally, unless (as I just said) I get caught up in it. Perhaps this an Sx first tendency at play, or even the product of the 8 in my tritype?

Time Management
INFJ
People with this style tend to be effective at laying out a plan with key milestones. Their natural tendency to track progress helps them know where they are in the accomplishment of a goal or task. They can be a positive influence on others as they help them schedule, plan, and set goals. The challenge for people with this style is in estimating the time a project will take. They may forget to include time in the plan for interruptions and other people's needs for using time differently. They also sometimes can get bogged down in details or may disregard certain details altogether if they don't fit with their picture of the end result.

INFP
People with this style often recognize that people are important in work or projects and factor that in when planning and managing their time. They tend to respond favorably to others' needs and requests and take the time needed to listen to others' input. Their ability to work with the ongoing process (formal or informal) and their talent for reconciling input helps achieve a quality result.
People with this style are challenged when they don't have enough time to do all they want to do. Responding to others' needs and requests may not leave enough time to complete their own work to their satisfaction or to meet their own needs. Trying to get all the information possible can take more time than is available for the task.

The bolded above is what I can relate to, and my comments are in red.

So there you have it, torn quite down the middle still. Le sigh. I think I may need to stick to INFx for awhile (or forever) while I mull all of this over. Thank you again for your help though-- and also to everyone else who weighed in too! -^_^-

The most interesting thing from this whole article was the conflict/stress reaction section, and realizing I don't relate to either one! Also the question of whether that is because I am Sx first (comfort with intensity) with could explain why engaging with conflict is a "grab the bull by the horns" situation for me. The 8 in my tritype could also contribute even more to that factor.

Last edited:
S

Stansmith

I try to be respectful, too, but a lot of times I feel like I'm reminded to be respectful by Fe users or those with a dominant social instinct. I don't have a code of honor, but I have my values. I don't think a code of honor is cheesy at all, and I wonder if Fe would be more likely to make a comment about it being cheesy.

I think both INFJ and INFP fours can go on visceral rants. I think INFJs are smoother, though. I think they're always more conscious of how their rants will affect others. Andrew Garfield displayed the INFP rant so perfectly. It's like your Fi gets so passionate about whatever it is so you can go off on this tirade and it's only after awhile that you think- oh wait, there's people listening to this.

It's interesting, because I've always wondered what an INFJ of my same etype and stacking would be like, and I think you might be it.

Some of the INFJ 4s I've seen come off as smiley and warm. They could be Social 4s with 7 fixes though.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Haha, I guess I do remind people to be respectful sometimes. :blush: I have just silently stared at people who are talking over someone...it only takes a few seconds for them to pale and shush. Or flick me off, but whatever-- as long as they are quiet. I've also been aghast sometimes at the rudeness of others

I guess that's my struggle though: I do live by a moral code of what's respectful but I'm also very honest and unabashed of my emotional state, I will have a full blown argument in the middle of a grocery store if need be. Later I'll headdesk :doh: about it, but if I'm caught up in a fired-up argument I will continue on regardless of where I am, or who I am around. Huh, I bet this is Sx related too! You truly may have something-- the more I read, the more I think I am INFJ but Sx first and with an 8-fix (both of which make me comfortable/susceptible with/to intensity). Is there not a 4w5 Sx/Sp INFJ on the forum?

Too funny, I feel great kindred spirit for you friend. Thanks for your insight! :)

Also, would you read my last response (two posts above), and lend me your opinion?

B

brainheart

Too funny, I feel great kindred spirit for you friend. Thanks for your insight! :)

Also, would you read my last response (two posts above), and lend me your opinion?

:) I will gladly lend my opinion but it won't be til tomorrow. I have to get off.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some of the INFJ 4s I've seen come off as smiley and warm. They could be Social 4s with 7 fixes though.

Okay, I only got to 3:36 but I read this guy as more animated than "smiley and warm". Still, he's anxty and furrows his brow the whole first part of this video. Also, he is interviewing himself-- why is he interviewing himself? Perhaps that's the 7-fix playfulness. Towards the middle he gets a bit more warm, but in a smirkey "I-know-something-you-may-not" way.

I've totally felt what he's talking about at the beginning though, and have pretty much had this same conversation with myself-- general 4 issues I believe. My version of this though, is a bit less bi-polar feeling (which I read as his 7-fix bouncyness). My frustration is also more angry, where his feels whiney, mine is darker and more growly. He also seems like a 4w3, so there's that too.

Yes, so I believe instinctual variant and tritype really are vital to what the total picture looks like. They must be considered. Thanks for this great example! :)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All over the blasted internet quite honestly, I doubt there is an INFJ or INFP description I haven't read. That's probably not a great thing, I realize. Is there one you favor?

I don't know if it's my favorite...but when I first started I used these pages.

http://personalitypage.com/html/INFP_per.html

http://personalitypage.com/html/INFJ_per.html

I think for me it's easier to see how I relate to my flaws more than anything...that's why I like the "growth" pages.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think of a special love for Braveheart and noble sacrifice as a quintessential NFJ thing. Here's part of a post I made in a male INFJ's type-me thread (at INTJforum) a few months ago:

And I was already leaning INFJ for you based on the video and some of your other posts — which is not to say that mild-P INFP would totally shock me (and I'm also not one to rule out INFx as arguably the best label for some people).

If you want to type yourself using the official "Step I" MBTI, it's here.

As you may know, there's a well-established fifth temperament dimension that isn't included in the Myers-Briggs typology and is often referred to as "neuroticism" (although it isn't a psychological disorder). The Big Five/SLOAN typology labels it Emotional Stability and refers to the two poles as Calm and Limbic. Being Limbic on that dimension tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic, and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs — and I suspect you're on the Calm side.

In any case, and if (and only if) you're interested, you can type yourself on that fifth dimension — and also, in effect, get a "second opinion" on your J/P preference by looking at your Big Five "Conscientiousness" score — by taking the similarminds Big Five/SLOAN test I link to in this PerC post. As noted in that linked post, one reason I kind of like that test is that it lets you pick in-the-middle, mildly or strongly for each item, so its results are theoretically a somewhat better indicator of how strong your preference might be on each dimension than the percentage results of a "forced choice" test. As also noted in the linked post, though, I recommend ignoring the personality descriptions at the similarminds site and just using the test for its Calm/Limbic result (and as a second opinion on your MBTI preferences).

In case they're of any use to you, I've put roundups of some decent online INFJ and INFP profiles in the spoiler.

And finally, just in case you're interested in a l-o-n-g post from me about J/P (at PerC), you'll find it here.

Thanks for this info, I had no idea about the neuroticism element. I'll definitely take both tests and see what they say.

B

brainheart

The bolded above is what I can relate to, and my comments are in red.

So there you have it, torn quite down the middle still. Le sigh. I think I may need to stick to INFx for awhile (or forever) while I mull all of this over. Thank you again for your help though-- and also to everyone else who weighed in too! -^_^-

The most interesting thing from this whole article was the conflict/stress reaction section, and realizing I don't relate to either one! Also the question of whether that is because I am Sx first (comfort with intensity) with could explain why engaging with conflict is a "grab the bull by the horns" situation for me. The 8 in my tritype could also contribute even more to that factor.

Oh boy. SO much in this list is crap. (I don't mean what you wrote but rather what they wrote.) Super detailed lists like that drive me nuts (inferior Te?). I just go by the feel/vibe I get, and I guess that's introverted feeling. I can't imagine myself being an INFJ, although there are many things that are supposedly Ni that I do. So this is a little tough for me to wrap my head around. I was thinking about bolding the things in the list that I relate to but the idea of doing that just makes me tired. Suffice to say there was plenty from both the INFJ and INFP that I would bold and plenty that I wouldn't. For example, I see time as all around me and within me. I've never understood the concept of linear time and I am horrid with time management. As far as stress goes, I pretty much would have responded the same way as you. I also can stay very calm in stressful situations. I suspect that's the strong five within me.

So much in the inferior Se didn't strike me as Se. I think it was a bad example, honestly. I'd be curious to see what an INFJ has to say on this. Instead, many of the things in the inferior Se section just seemed like the four's issues with one: self-criticism, etc. As far as inferior Te goes, I find myself wasting a lot of time because I am awful at time management and so decide I need to get my shit together so I'll try to map out every hour of my day and set timers and organize my books and throw things out in my kitchen, etc. I will often think more Te use is the answer but then I'm just wasting time doing things like organizing vs doing the things that I'm good at and make me feel better, like art.

One thing I notice in your evaluation of this list is your lack of Si. I definitely do this Ne/Si combo where I'm looking at patterns in the past and comparing them with patterns of the present and thereby considering how this will play out in the future. I can get a little fatalistic with Si sometimes. I guess that would be the fi-si loop, where I think, 'Oh, things have always been like this, how can I ever change?' Using my Ne to get out there and do stuff always makes me feel better. But I also went back and saw you didn't highlight much on Ti, either, so that's probably irrelevant.

I think the sexual instinct and being a four makes so much of the list apply and not apply as well.

If you take this test http://16typequiz.com/quiz.html, what do you get in percentages- N vs S, E vs I, T vs F, J vs P?

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh boy. SO much in this list is crap. (I don't mean what you wrote but rather what they wrote.) Super detailed lists like that drive me nuts (inferior Te?). I just go by the feel/vibe I get, and I guess that's introverted feeling. I can't imagine myself being an INFJ, although there are many things that are supposedly Ni that I do. So this is a little tough for me to wrap my head around. I was thinking about bolding the things in the list that I relate to but the idea of doing that just makes me tired. Suffice to say there was plenty from both the INFJ and INFP that I would bold and plenty that I wouldn't. For example, I see time as all around me and within me. I've never understood the concept of linear time and I am horrid with time management. As far as stress goes, I pretty much would have responded the same way as you. I also can stay very calm in stressful situations. I suspect that's the strong five within me.

So much in the inferior Se didn't strike me as Se. I think it was a bad example, honestly. I'd be curious to see what an INFJ has to say on this. Instead, many of the things in the inferior Se section just seemed like the four's issues with one: self-criticism, etc. As far as inferior Te goes, I find myself wasting a lot of time because I am awful at time management and so decide I need to get my shit together so I'll try to map out every hour of my day and set timers and organize my books and throw things out in my kitchen, etc. I will often think more Te use is the answer but then I'm just wasting time doing things like organizing vs doing the things that I'm good at and make me feel better, like art.

One thing I notice in your evaluation of this list is your lack of Si. I definitely do this Ne/Si combo where I'm looking at patterns in the past and comparing them with patterns of the present and thereby considering how this will play out in the future. I can get a little fatalistic with Si sometimes. I guess that would be the fi-si loop, where I think, 'Oh, things have always been like this, how can I ever change?' Using my Ne to get out there and do stuff always makes me feel better. But I also went back and saw you didn't highlight much on Ti, either, so that's probably irrelevant.

I think the sexual instinct and being a four makes so much of the list apply and not apply as well.

If you take this test http://16typequiz.com/quiz.html, what do you get in percentages- N vs S, E vs I, T vs F, J vs P?

Okay, good to know that a lot of this is not necessarily valid (at least in determining type)-- I don't feel so bad about agreeing with things on both sides now. :)

I too have a pretty strong 5 wing, and agree that that could be part of the conflict thing (especially because of it's healthy link to 8)-- though mostly I think it's the fact that we are Sx-first. Sx is drawn to intensity, and conflict is intense. Truly, I think anyone who is actually Sx-first should have no issue with conflict, and in fact may enter into it too readily.

These are my test results:

Your Preferences:
Introversion (I): |||||||||||||||||| 72.73%
Extroversion (E): ||||||| 27.27%

Intuition (N): |||||||||||||| 56.76%
Sensation (S): ||||||||||| 43.24%

Thinking (T): |||||||||| 40%
Feeling (F): ||||||||||||||| 60%

Judging (J): ||||||||||||||||| 69.23%
Perceiving (P): |||||||| 30.77%

The I/E difference doesn't surprise me, and neither does the closeness of T/F (though I know I do favor Feeling). The marked difference between J/P does surprise me though, especially after being so torn over it...?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's why you're more difficult tho. the t/f s/n you're like an infj/isfj/istj/intj hybrid.

that sort of function type balance is often obvious after hanging out with someone awhile...i know a couple like that...he's like intj/istj/isfj hybrid and she's like infj/isfj and her mom is like esfj/enfj and her dad is like intp/isfj and their brother is like...enfp by default because i don't know what else he'd be.

i don't know why i told you all that. :/

don't mind me...but...you're just a hybrid. it's cool.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, good to know that a lot of this is not necessarily valid (at least in determining type)-- I don't feel so bad about agreeing with things on both sides now. :)

I too have a pretty strong 5 wing, and agree that that could be part of the conflict thing (especially because of it's healthy link to 8)-- though mostly I think it's the fact that we are Sx-first. Sx is drawn to intensity, and conflict is intense. Truly, I think anyone who is actually Sx-first should have no issue with conflict, and in fact may enter into it too readily.

Your Preferences:

The I/E difference doesn't surprise me, and neither does the closeness of T/F (though I know I do favor Feeling). The marked difference between J/P does surprise me though, especially after being so torn over it...?

Yup, INFJ.

Next!

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that's why you're more difficult tho. the t/f s/n you're like an infj/isfj/istj/intj hybrid.

that sort of function type balance is often obvious after hanging out with someone awhile...i know a couple like that...he's like intj/istj/isfj hybrid and she's like infj/isfj and her mom is like esfj/enfj and her dad is like intp/isfj and their brother is like...enfp by default because i don't know what else he'd be.

i don't know why i told you all that. :/

don't mind me...but...you're just a hybrid. it's cool.

Haha, I like your style Lady X (and that you told me that-- I value story). :)

I suppose I am...or almost am a hybrid? Should I be going by IxFJ then (I think my F is decided enough), or is it okay to go by INFJ since I do technically score that? :huh:

S

Stansmith

Haha, I like your style Lady X (and that you told me that-- I value story). :)

I suppose I am...or almost am a hybrid? Should I be going by IxFJ then (I think my F is decided enough), or is it okay to go by INFJ since I do technically score that? :huh:

ISFJ is out of the question, lol.

B

brainheart

Your Preferences:

Yeah, I don't have a problem entering conflict and have always balked at that aspect of the INFP description. I like to resolve conflict, yes, but I often think the best way to do that is to really get into it.

So yes, INFJ, but IJFN in order of strength. That's a little wild for a dominant introverted intuitive. I'd think N would be stronger if that were the case. No wonder it's been tricky for you. I'm not saying you're -not- an INFJ, but if you are, you use your other than dominant functions an awful lot. My results, in comparison:

Your Preferences:
Introversion (I): ||||||||||||||||||| 77.42%
Extroversion (E): |||||| 22.58%

Intuition (N): ||||||||||||||||| 68.75%
Sensation (S): |||||||| 31.25%

Thinking (T): |||| 17.24%
Feeling (F): ||||||||||||||||||||| 82.76%

Judging (J): |||||||| 31.03%
Perceiving (P): ||||||||||||||||| 68.97%

W

WALMART

Oh, you've removed the video.

:sadbanana:

I did watch it once, the morning after you mentioned me. I have been putting off this post, because I find it difficult to tell people what their types are. I can never pin anything down with any definitive validity, I can only translate perceived qualities to minute details of theory. Rarely do I encounter those one-sided demonstrations of personality, in which I can identify wholly the theory to the facts. You are not one of these types (fortunately, in my opinion).

Put facilely, the difference between INFP and INFJ is the lead function - rational (Fi) or irrational (Ni). Rational functions apply and project logic to experience, irrational functions are the attitudes by which experience is defined. I don't believe there is benefit to be had by pinning yourself to either. You have a strong base on which you rest, INFx. I feel the benefit of identification lies exclusively from an external point of view - as Jung details, guidestones for helping another in a therapeutic fashion.

So my question is, what benefit do you envision for yourself, knowing your type? If it is to know yourself, absolve yourself of type. Study all aspects of personality with equal fervor, and get to know yourself as an individual, independent of the facts.

I think you should break the gender mold and go ESTJ.