User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

brainheart

@small.wonder, have you read this? I think the descriptions of the cognitive functions are good. (Caveat: There are things I definitely disagree with, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. But it's good if you stick to the overall gist.)

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...arious-sources

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Oh, you've removed the video.

I did watch it once, the morning after you mentioned me. I have been putting off this post, because I find it difficult to tell people what their types are. I can never pin anything down with any definitive validity, I can only translate perceived qualities to minute details of theory. Rarely do I encounter those one-sided demonstrations of personality, in which I can identify wholly the theory to the facts. You are not one of these types (fortunately, in my opinion).

Put facilely, the difference between INFP and INFJ is the lead function - rational (Fi) or irrational (Ni). Rational functions apply and project logic to experience, irrational functions are the attitudes by which experience is defined. I don't believe there is benefit to be had by pinning yourself to either. You have a strong base on which you rest, INFx. I feel the benefit of identification lies exclusively from an external point of view - as Jung details, guidestones for helping another in a therapeutic fashion.

So my question is, what benefit do you envision for yourself, knowing your type? If it is to know yourself, absolve yourself of type. Study all aspects of personality with equal fervor, and get to know yourself as an individual, independent of the facts.

I think you should break the gender mold and go ESTJ.
    I'm sorry about the video! I figured all who wanted to see it already had, in which case I didn't see the point in leaving a random video of myself on the internet-- I am glad you saw it at least though!

To answer your question (a good one) I desire to know my type mostly out of curiosity and desire to learn-- I always learn best by doing, and this thread has taught me quite a bit about MBTI. In truth I already know who I am and am firmly grounded in that, even if I found out I was ESTJ it wouldn't change a thing about who I am and how I live my life. Even now, not having a concrete, unanimous decision is not really a big deal to me. The process of hearing others' thoughts and gleaning from their knowledge is the point.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    ISFJ is out of the question, lol.
    Not that I ever really thought so either, but why do you think that?
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Not that I ever really thought so either, but why do you think that?
    I've never seen an ISFJ type themselves as 4.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Yeah, I don't have a problem entering conflict and have always balked at that aspect of the INFP description. I like to resolve conflict, yes, but I often think the best way to do that is to really get into it.

So yes, INFJ, but IJFN in order of strength. That's a little wild for a dominant introverted intuitive. I'd think N would be stronger if that were the case. No wonder it's been tricky for you. I'm not saying you're -not- an INFJ, but if you are, you use your other than dominant functions an awful lot. My results, in comparison:
    Yet it still considered my scores to be INFJ? What does that generally mean if a type uses their non-dominant functions a lot? Is this uncommon? Does it even make sense?

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I've never seen an ISFJ type themselves as 4.
    Oh okay, no doubts there.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

@small.wonder, have you read this? I think the descriptions of the cognitive functions are good. (Caveat: There are things I definitely disagree with, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. But it's good if you stick to the overall gist.)

No, but I will! Thanks.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Yet it still considered my scores to be INFJ? What does that generally mean if a type uses their non-dominant functions a lot? Is this uncommon? Does it even make sense?
    Using non-dominant functions occur when a person is really trying too hard to be perfect…

An ENFP might use Si to prove to an ISTJ they are not worthless…
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

So yes, INFJ, but IJFN in order of strength. That's a little wild for a dominant introverted intuitive. I'd think N would be stronger if that were the case. No wonder it's been tricky for you. I'm not saying you're -not- an INFJ, but if you are, you use your other than dominant functions an awful lot. My results, in comparison:

Okay I started reading this-- Hold the phone! This really stuck out to me:

"Percentages displayed on MBTI tests do not indicate the strength of a dichotomy. They represent the certainty level of the dichotomy. So if you get 100% Introvert, it doesn't mean you're necessarily more introverted than someone who gets a 80% - it just means you can be more certain of being introverted."

So my scores are not representative of strength at all, but of my certainty of being an Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeler, and Judger. I'll continue to read about the functions but just had to comment on that part because of what you mentioned earlier about my scores pointing to frequent use of my non-dominant functions. If what they are saying is true, we have no way of knowing that at all. Right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Okay I started reading this-- Hold the phone! This really stuck out to me:

"Percentages displayed on MBTI tests do not indicate the strength of a dichotomy. They represent the certainty level of the dichotomy. So if you get 100% Introvert, it doesn't mean you're necessarily more introverted than someone who gets a 80% - it just means you can be more certain of being introverted."

So my scores are not representative of strength at all, but of my certainty of being an Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeler, and Judger. I'll continue to read about the functions but just had to comment on that part because of what you mentioned earlier about my scores pointing to frequent use of my non-dominant functions. If what they are saying is true, we have no way of knowing that at all. Right?
    I touched on that issue in my first post in the thread. One of the reasons I kind of like that Big Five test I linked to you is that, unlike the official MBTI and many of the online type tests, it's not "forced choice." It gives you five choices for each question — an "in the middle" choice as well as mild or strong in each direction. For that reason, it's reasonable to expect the SLOAN percentage scores to have something to say about the strength of your preferences. With a forced choice test, that's not really true. Somebody with, say, a mild S preference could easily take a forced choice test and, assuming they knew themselves well and interpreted the questions properly, end up choosing the S response for almost all (or all) of the questions, with the result being a very high S score. (That said, I think scores that are close to the middle on forced choice tests tend to be some indication that your preference on that dimension — in whichever direction — is probably on the mild side.)

I'd also note that, to the extent that that website you've quoted would lead you to believe that, setting aside what tests can tell you, there's really no such thing as different strengths of your preferences, you should ignore it. Jung himself — besides saying he thought more people were in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted — also stressed that people of the same type varied considerably in terms of the strength (or, as he often characterized it, "one-sidedness") of their preferences. Myers likewise distinguished between people with mild and strong preferences, and I don't think I've ever heard of any reasonably well-known MBTI-related source claiming that every introvert (for example) was equally introverted, or that any of the other preferences manifested at only one possible level of strength.