User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    I think of a special love for Braveheart and noble sacrifice as a quintessential NFJ thing. Here's part of a post I made in a male INFJ's type-me thread (at INTJforum) a few months ago:

And I was already leaning INFJ for you based on the video and some of your other posts — which is not to say that mild-P INFP would totally shock me (and I'm also not one to rule out INFx as arguably the best label for some people).

If you want to type yourself using the official "Step I" MBTI, it's here.

As you may know, there's a well-established fifth temperament dimension that isn't included in the Myers-Briggs typology and is often referred to as "neuroticism" (although it isn't a psychological disorder). The Big Five/SLOAN typology labels it Emotional Stability and refers to the two poles as Calm and Limbic. Being Limbic on that dimension tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic, and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs — and I suspect you're on the Calm side.

In any case, and if (and only if) you're interested, you can type yourself on that fifth dimension — and also, in effect, get a "second opinion" on your J/P preference by looking at your Big Five "Conscientiousness" score — by taking the similarminds Big Five/SLOAN test I link to in this PerC post. As noted in that linked post, one reason I kind of like that test is that it lets you pick in-the-middle, mildly or strongly for each item, so its results are theoretically a somewhat better indicator of how strong your preference might be on each dimension than the percentage results of a "forced choice" test. As also noted in the linked post, though, I recommend ignoring the personality descriptions at the similarminds site and just using the test for its Calm/Limbic result (and as a second opinion on your MBTI preferences).

In case they're of any use to you, I've put roundups of some decent online INFJ and INFP profiles in the spoiler.

And finally, just in case you're interested in a l-o-n-g post from me about J/P (at PerC), you'll find it here.

Thanks for this info, I had no idea about the neuroticism element. I'll definitely take both tests and see what they say.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    The bolded above is what I can relate to, and my comments are in red.

So there you have it, torn quite down the middle still. Le sigh. I think I may need to stick to INFx for awhile (or forever) while I mull all of this over. Thank you again for your help though-- and also to everyone else who weighed in too! -^_^-

The most interesting thing from this whole article was the conflict/stress reaction section, and realizing I don't relate to either one! Also the question of whether that is because I am Sx first (comfort with intensity) with could explain why engaging with conflict is a "grab the bull by the horns" situation for me. The 8 in my tritype could also contribute even more to that factor.
    Oh boy. SO much in this list is crap. (I don't mean what you wrote but rather what they wrote.) Super detailed lists like that drive me nuts (inferior Te?). I just go by the feel/vibe I get, and I guess that's introverted feeling. I can't imagine myself being an INFJ, although there are many things that are supposedly Ni that I do. So this is a little tough for me to wrap my head around. I was thinking about bolding the things in the list that I relate to but the idea of doing that just makes me tired. Suffice to say there was plenty from both the INFJ and INFP that I would bold and plenty that I wouldn't. For example, I see time as all around me and within me. I've never understood the concept of linear time and I am horrid with time management. As far as stress goes, I pretty much would have responded the same way as you. I also can stay very calm in stressful situations. I suspect that's the strong five within me.

So much in the inferior Se didn't strike me as Se. I think it was a bad example, honestly. I'd be curious to see what an INFJ has to say on this. Instead, many of the things in the inferior Se section just seemed like the four's issues with one: self-criticism, etc. As far as inferior Te goes, I find myself wasting a lot of time because I am awful at time management and so decide I need to get my shit together so I'll try to map out every hour of my day and set timers and organize my books and throw things out in my kitchen, etc. I will often think more Te use is the answer but then I'm just wasting time doing things like organizing vs doing the things that I'm good at and make me feel better, like art.

One thing I notice in your evaluation of this list is your lack of Si. I definitely do this Ne/Si combo where I'm looking at patterns in the past and comparing them with patterns of the present and thereby considering how this will play out in the future. I can get a little fatalistic with Si sometimes. I guess that would be the fi-si loop, where I think, 'Oh, things have always been like this, how can I ever change?' Using my Ne to get out there and do stuff always makes me feel better. But I also went back and saw you didn't highlight much on Ti, either, so that's probably irrelevant.

I think the sexual instinct and being a four makes so much of the list apply and not apply as well.

If you take this test http://16typequiz.com/quiz.html, what do you get in percentages- N vs S, E vs I, T vs F, J vs P?

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Oh boy. SO much in this list is crap. (I don't mean what you wrote but rather what they wrote.) Super detailed lists like that drive me nuts (inferior Te?). I just go by the feel/vibe I get, and I guess that's introverted feeling. I can't imagine myself being an INFJ, although there are many things that are supposedly Ni that I do. So this is a little tough for me to wrap my head around. I was thinking about bolding the things in the list that I relate to but the idea of doing that just makes me tired. Suffice to say there was plenty from both the INFJ and INFP that I would bold and plenty that I wouldn't. For example, I see time as all around me and within me. I've never understood the concept of linear time and I am horrid with time management. As far as stress goes, I pretty much would have responded the same way as you. I also can stay very calm in stressful situations. I suspect that's the strong five within me.

So much in the inferior Se didn't strike me as Se. I think it was a bad example, honestly. I'd be curious to see what an INFJ has to say on this. Instead, many of the things in the inferior Se section just seemed like the four's issues with one: self-criticism, etc. As far as inferior Te goes, I find myself wasting a lot of time because I am awful at time management and so decide I need to get my shit together so I'll try to map out every hour of my day and set timers and organize my books and throw things out in my kitchen, etc. I will often think more Te use is the answer but then I'm just wasting time doing things like organizing vs doing the things that I'm good at and make me feel better, like art.

One thing I notice in your evaluation of this list is your lack of Si. I definitely do this Ne/Si combo where I'm looking at patterns in the past and comparing them with patterns of the present and thereby considering how this will play out in the future. I can get a little fatalistic with Si sometimes. I guess that would be the fi-si loop, where I think, 'Oh, things have always been like this, how can I ever change?' Using my Ne to get out there and do stuff always makes me feel better. But I also went back and saw you didn't highlight much on Ti, either, so that's probably irrelevant.

I think the sexual instinct and being a four makes so much of the list apply and not apply as well.

If you take this test http://16typequiz.com/quiz.html, what do you get in percentages- N vs S, E vs I, T vs F, J vs P?
    Okay, good to know that a lot of this is not necessarily valid (at least in determining type)-- I don't feel so bad about agreeing with things on both sides now.

I too have a pretty strong 5 wing, and agree that that could be part of the conflict thing (especially because of it's healthy link to 8)-- though mostly I think it's the fact that we are Sx-first. Sx is drawn to intensity, and conflict is intense. Truly, I think anyone who is actually Sx-first should have no issue with conflict, and in fact may enter into it too readily.

These are my test results:

Your Preferences:
    Introversion (I): |||||||||||||||||| 72.73%
    Extroversion (E): ||||||| 27.27%

Intuition (N): |||||||||||||| 56.76%
    Sensation (S): ||||||||||| 43.24%

Thinking (T): |||||||||| 40%
    Feeling (F): ||||||||||||||| 60%

Judging (J): ||||||||||||||||| 69.23%
    Perceiving (P): |||||||| 30.77%

The I/E difference doesn't surprise me, and neither does the closeness of T/F (though I know I do favor Feeling). The marked difference between J/P does surprise me though, especially after being so torn over it...?
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

that's why you're more difficult tho. the t/f s/n you're like an infj/isfj/istj/intj hybrid.

that sort of function type balance is often obvious after hanging out with someone awhile...i know a couple like that...he's like intj/istj/isfj hybrid and she's like infj/isfj and her mom is like esfj/enfj and her dad is like intp/isfj and their brother is like...enfp by default because i don't know what else he'd be.

i don't know why i told you all that. :/

don't mind me...but...you're just a hybrid. it's cool.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Okay, good to know that a lot of this is not necessarily valid (at least in determining type)-- I don't feel so bad about agreeing with things on both sides now.

I too have a pretty strong 5 wing, and agree that that could be part of the conflict thing (especially because of it's healthy link to 8)-- though mostly I think it's the fact that we are Sx-first. Sx is drawn to intensity, and conflict is intense. Truly, I think anyone who is actually Sx-first should have no issue with conflict, and in fact may enter into it too readily.

Your Preferences:

The I/E difference doesn't surprise me, and neither does the closeness of T/F (though I know I do favor Feeling). The marked difference between J/P does surprise me though, especially after being so torn over it...?
    Yup, INFJ.

Next!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that's why you're more difficult tho. the t/f s/n you're like an infj/isfj/istj/intj hybrid.

that sort of function type balance is often obvious after hanging out with someone awhile...i know a couple like that...he's like intj/istj/isfj hybrid and she's like infj/isfj and her mom is like esfj/enfj and her dad is like intp/isfj and their brother is like...enfp by default because i don't know what else he'd be.

i don't know why i told you all that. :/

don't mind me...but...you're just a hybrid. it's cool.
    Haha, I like your style Lady X (and that you told me that-- I value story).

I suppose I am...or almost am a hybrid? Should I be going by IxFJ then (I think my F is decided enough), or is it okay to go by INFJ since I do technically score that?

Stansmith

Haha, I like your style Lady X (and that you told me that-- I value story).

I suppose I am...or almost am a hybrid? Should I be going by IxFJ then (I think my F is decided enough), or is it okay to go by INFJ since I do technically score that?
    ISFJ is out of the question, lol.

brainheart

Your Preferences:

Yeah, I don't have a problem entering conflict and have always balked at that aspect of the INFP description. I like to resolve conflict, yes, but I often think the best way to do that is to really get into it.

So yes, INFJ, but IJFN in order of strength. That's a little wild for a dominant introverted intuitive. I'd think N would be stronger if that were the case. No wonder it's been tricky for you. I'm not saying you're -not- an INFJ, but if you are, you use your other than dominant functions an awful lot. My results, in comparison:

Your Preferences:
    Introversion (I): ||||||||||||||||||| 77.42%
    Extroversion (E): |||||| 22.58%

Intuition (N): ||||||||||||||||| 68.75%
    Sensation (S): |||||||| 31.25%

Thinking (T): |||| 17.24%
    Feeling (F): ||||||||||||||||||||| 82.76%

Judging (J): |||||||| 31.03%
    Perceiving (P): ||||||||||||||||| 68.97%

WALMART

Oh, you've removed the video.

I did watch it once, the morning after you mentioned me. I have been putting off this post, because I find it difficult to tell people what their types are. I can never pin anything down with any definitive validity, I can only translate perceived qualities to minute details of theory. Rarely do I encounter those one-sided demonstrations of personality, in which I can identify wholly the theory to the facts. You are not one of these types (fortunately, in my opinion).

Put facilely, the difference between INFP and INFJ is the lead function - rational (Fi) or irrational (Ni). Rational functions apply and project logic to experience, irrational functions are the attitudes by which experience is defined. I don't believe there is benefit to be had by pinning yourself to either. You have a strong base on which you rest, INFx. I feel the benefit of identification lies exclusively from an external point of view - as Jung details, guidestones for helping another in a therapeutic fashion.

So my question is, what benefit do you envision for yourself, knowing your type? If it is to know yourself, absolve yourself of type. Study all aspects of personality with equal fervor, and get to know yourself as an individual, independent of the facts.

I think you should break the gender mold and go ESTJ.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post

I think you should break the gender mold and go ESTJ.
    Is that what you did with your ISTJ? Because the idea of 'breaking molds' to shift perspective seems pretty stinking Ni to me.