• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Boyfriend possibly E/INFP?

Mipp

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been in a new relationship for the past few months, and I'm very curious about my boyfriend's type. I'm TERRIBLE at typing, but my current theory is E/INFP. I'm a female INTP and in most ways I'm a fairly typical INTP.

His traits:
-- Very romantic. So romantic that you might think it insincere, except its been months and he is, if anything, even more affectionate than he was when he first met me. He loves to compliment me. For example: He's decided we should record music together, because he thinks I have a wonderful singing voice. My response was, "Not only is love blind, its deaf, too."
-- Emotionally expressive. He was the first to tell me he loved me, and was hurt that I didn't immediately respond in kind. When I did tell him I loved him, I started crying because my feelings were so intense. He didn't understand why I was crying, because, as he said, "Loving you makes me happy, it never makes me feel sad." On the other hand, what I consider silly teasing can result in hurting his feelings. He will tell me right away that I've upset him.
-- Creative. He paints, draws, records music, etc. He carries a bag of art supplies with him everywhere he goes, just in case he gets to sit down and create something for five minutes.
-- Not punctual at ALL.
-- Can be overwhelmed by crowds/overstimulation. For example: Yesterday he showed up at my apartment exhausted due to a combination of a stressful bus ride and some Garfield comics, of all things, that he'd tried to read on the way over and found disturbing for some reason. He collapsed on my bed and I turned on some of his favorite music and rubbed his back until he felt better. Within half an hour he was his usual self again.
-- Many acquaintances, few close friends.
-- Confident and talkative.
-- Sexual and adventurous. In this we are well-matched :)
-- Notices things that I am oblivious to. He often picks up on things going on around us that I tune out completely, such as strangers' conversations or odd things in shop windows.

He is definitely the sweetest and most unusual person I've ever dated. In a lot of ways he can surprise and overwhelm me, but his personality is so good-natured that I never fault him for it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds more enfp than infp to me but nothing much in there reads n over s really...but maybe you can tell if you relate in a ne humor way or not?

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep him! Have fun! Enjoy the ride!
:)

Starry

[MENTION=8783]Mipp[/MENTION],

Why NFP as opposed to SFP?

Based on your list I would type this individual as ESFP

Mipp

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think he's people-oriented enough to be an ESFP. He's quite charming and can talk to anyone, if the fancy strikes him. But when it comes to having a connection with someone, there's very few people in his life to whom he's invested the time and effort to develop a relationship. I have probably three times the number of friends he does, for example. His waking hours not spent in my company are largely spent in his workshop, on art; in a bookstore; or at work, when he goes (he's lucky enough to have a job that doesn't make him work regular hours, so long as he finishes his projects on time).

Plus, we have that weird Ne-mindmeld thing I sometimes see people talking about. We like to joke -- even though its not really a joke -- that we can talk to each other for hours and no one listening in would understand anything we were talking about.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah i was going to say...you'd probably recognize that ne connection if it were there. with my infp i knew that before i knew he was fi. i actually thought at first that he was intp.

Starry

I don't think he's people-oriented enough to be an ESFP. He's quite charming and can talk to anyone, if the fancy strikes him. But when it comes to having a connection with someone, there's very few people in his life to whom he's invested the time and effort to develop a relationship. I have probably three times the number of friends he does, for example. His waking hours not spent in my company are largely spent in his workshop, on art; in a bookstore; or at work, when he goes (he's lucky enough to have a job that doesn't make him work regular hours, so long as he finishes his projects on time).

Plus, we have that weird Ne-mindmeld thing I sometimes see people talking about. We like to joke -- even though its not really a joke -- that we can talk to each other for hours and no one listening in would understand anything we were talking about.

Ha. I do understand what you are saying about having 3 times the friends. I do not know an introvert with a less active social life than my own! haha. I have known a few ESFP sx's though that could fit this same pattern/profile as you describe...and maybe even provide a sense of mindmeldness as well... but you seem quite knowledgeable yourself. If all it comes down to for you is merely a case of extroversion or introversion...I would go with E.

W

WALMART

Jung pegs Ne users as being very social, to the point of suggesting their strongest roles in life are politicians, contractors, merchants, etc. Sensors are much into the aesthetics of life, but not necessarily to a point of being voluptuous. Even a meager meal can be thought of as an enjoyable sensory experience, let alone making art or working in a shop.

I can't tell Se or Ne, personally, but for the sake of typing someone a sensor - ESFP.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:)
I use Ne and I love to enjoy a good meal or a hot bath.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jung pegs Ne users as being very social, to the point of suggesting their strongest roles in life are politicians, contractors, merchants, etc. Sensors are much into the aesthetics of life, but not necessarily to a point of being voluptuous. Even a meager meal can be thought of as an enjoyable sensory experience, let alone making art or working in a shop.

I can't tell Se or Ne, personally, but for the sake of typing someone a sensor - ESFP.

i don't see ne as very social. i see it as wanting to be stimulated and that can sometimes be done socially....is that what you mean?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i don't see ne as very social. i see it as wanting to be stimulated and that can sometimes be done socially....is that what you mean?

I think so...
That's how I see Ne...

W

WALMART

The guy who authored the theory did. Ne is the only function he particularly singles out for having a propensity for socialization, and I see what he meant very well. It's not really what people seem to typically associate with Ne...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The guy who authored the theory did. Ne is the only function he particularly singles out for having a propensity for socialization, and I see what he meant very well. It's not really what people seem to typically associate with Ne...

alright then...i've already learned you and i see it differently so i'll just let you have your opinions then and keep mine.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I coincidentally think you're a sensor ;)

;)
...Of course, I might get up from relaxing and write the wildest story you've ever read or paint the craziest painting you've ever seen, and I'm super talkative...

W

WALMART

alright then...i've already learned you and i see it differently so i'll just let you have your opinions then and keep mine.

I mean, it's like explicitly written. It's not an opinion, lol.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
seems to me like fe is the most social function. esfjs are way social....and i get the feeling esfps are more social too....but i don't know everything there is to know about that.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean, it's like explicitly written. It's not an opinion, lol.

i was talking about your opinion. like you're opinion that it's true.

and maybe it is...but that's not how i personally experience it.

W

WALMART

;)
...Of course, I might get up from relaxing and write the wildest story you've ever read or paint the craziest painting you've ever seen, and I'm super talkative...

You know, Jung thought of introverted sensors as very artistic people. A lot of famous artists are probably Si-dom. I think they walk along the edge of insanity in a very majestic way.