User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    50th percentile - how come? I'll look up the exact score.

EDIT: I got 46th percentile for neuroticism on that particular test. Why? How do the types correlate with neurosis?
    As far as correlations go, as I understand it, there's a mild correlation between introversion and above-average neuroticism, but that's not why I find it potentially useful/interesting information to have when you're typing someone.

For starters, that fifth dimension is arguably an interesting dimension in and of itself, in terms of shedding light on someone's personality. Just because Jung and Myers missed it doesn't mean it makes sense to ignore it. Being Limbic (to use the SLOAN term) rather than Calm — i.e., being above-average in Neuroticism — tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic (76th percentile on that test), and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs.

But another potentially good reason to get a read on somebody's Neuroticism score is that it can sometimes muddy the waters when you're trying to figure out what someone's MBTI preferences are. In particular, in my experience, people who are Limbic sometimes feel like they're "too emotional" to be, e.g, an INTJ. As another example, an introvert is more likely to consider themselves "shy" if they're both introverted and Limbic.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    As far as correlations go, as I understand it, there's a mild correlation between introversion and above-average neuroticism, but that's not why I find it potentially useful/interesting information to have when you're typing someone.

For starters, that fifth dimension is arguably an interesting dimension in and of itself, in terms of shedding light on someone's personality. Just because Jung and Myers missed it doesn't mean it makes sense to ignore it. Being Limbic (to use the SLOAN term) rather than Calm — i.e., being above-average in Neuroticism — tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; artistic interests and abilities; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic (76th percentile on that test), and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs.

But another potentially good reason to get a read on somebody's Neuroticism score is that it can sometimes muddy the waters when you're trying to figure out what someone's MBTI preferences are. In particular, in my experience, people who are Limbic sometimes feel like they're "too emotional" to be, e.g, an INTJ. As another example, an introvert is more likely to consider themselves "shy" if they're both introverted and Limbic.
    Super interesting, but I'm not sure if this is consistent with my anecdotal experience. The most neurotic people I know are an ENFJ and an ENFP. My mom is extremely neurotic - I think she's an ESxJ. It might be the case that introverts think they're neurotic more often than extroverts, though, because in my experience, Es can be really out of touch with themselves.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

You thought about ENTP? It could split the difference.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Super interesting, but I'm not sure if this is consistent with my anecdotal experience. The most neurotic people I know are an ENFJ and an ENFP. My mom is extremely neurotic - I think she's an ESxJ. It might be the case that introverts think they're neurotic more often than extroverts, though, because in my experience, Es can be really out of touch with themselves.
    I noted that (as I understand it) Big Five data shows a mild correlation between Neuroticism and introversion. "Mild" means you should expect plenty of calm introverts and neurotic extraverts.

I definitely wasn't meaning to suggest that if you came out Calm (which you barely did in any case), that would be worth a point or two on the extravert side.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    I noted that (as I understand it) Big Five data shows a mild correlation between Neuroticism and introversion. "Mild" means you should expect plenty of calm introverts and neurotic extraverts.

I definitely wasn't meaning to suggest that if you came out Calm (which you barely did in any case), that would be worth a point or two on the extravert side.
    Right, exactly.

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

I get an ISFJ vibe.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Last edited by Honor; 09-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Okay, I went through these materials, and I relate to INFJ way more than ENFJ.

The first two links for INFJ were like a window into my mind. I especially connected with the following sentences:
    1. They trust their intuitive insights into the true relationships and meanings of things, regardless of established authority or popularly accepted beliefs.
    2. These inspirations seem so valid and important that they sometimes have trouble understanding why everyone does not accept them.
    3. Their inner independence is often not conspicuous because INFJs value harmony and fellowship; they work to persuade others to approve of and cooperate with their purposes.
    4. They have faith in their insights and find that they often empathically understand the feelings and motivations of people before the others themselves are aware of them.
    5. They are loyal to people and institutions that exemplify their values but have little interest in those that do not.
    6. They are invested in growth and development for themselves and significant others and are willing to consider unconventional paths to achieve these.
    7. Though INFJs are usually reserved, they don't hesitate to assert themselves when their values are violated. Then they can be persistent and insistent.

I didn't relate to the description in the first two links for ENFJ at all. I'm friendly and sympathetic, but I'm not tactful. I don't have trouble seeing the flaws of people close to me. I don't refuse to look at disagreeable facts or criticism that hurts. I don't always see the value in other people's opinions when they're different from mine. I don't have faith that harmony can be achieved. I don't tend to concentrate on the admirable qualities in others unless it's deserved. I'm terrible at building consensus, because I stick to my guns no matter what.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    You thought about ENTP? It could split the difference.
    lol! i missed this, but i'm no NT