User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: INFP or INTP?

  1. #41
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    this is nonsense.
    Fair enough. I was misinformed.

    @louiesgonnadie, guess you should go with NFP after all. If an INTP says you don't match up, you probably don't. Just figure out if you relate to inferior Te or Si more. I personally think the former, judging from what you've said.

  2. #42
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    If an INTP says you don't match up, you probably don't.
    That's funny, because based on this thread and private messaging conversations that I've had with @Eric B , (who is INTP in case you forgot) he seems to think I match up well. Also, I believe the logic of "that person is type X, and doesnt think said person is type X, so he must be right!" doesn't always match up.

    Also, why are you backing down from your assessment so quickly? Just curious...
    "For a minute there, I lost myself...I lost myself."

    LOUIS CK: "We don't think about how we talk"
    http://zenpencils.com/comic/95-louis...t-how-we-talk/

  3. #43
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    That's funny, because based on this thread and private messaging conversations that I've had with @Eric B , (who is INTP in case you forgot) he seems to think I match up well. Also, I believe the logic of "that person is type X, and doesnt think said person is type X, so he must be right!" doesn't always match up.

    Also, why are you backing down from your assessment so quickly? Just curious...
    Yeah, remembered that right after I posted. Yes I agree with what you said, but still, who knows if there are other inaccuracies in the assessment that could be misleading you.

  4. #44
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    why would that supression eliminate the desire?
    Why would you suppress a desire for harmony?
    Isn't that desire one of the main points of Fe, regardless of where it is placed
    The inferior doesn't operate like a watered down version of the same function when it's consciously expressed. Rather it has an oppositional energy. It is better to think of the inferior as the shadow of what is undeveloped in the personality. Especially at earlier stages of development.

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    When I am trying to be humorous, I usually let my Ne run loose. I sometimes see this in some writings of Ji-doms as well. However I get the feeling you're going to say they're mistyped Ne-doms. Could that be?
    I can't comment on individuals whose writing I haven't seen.

    Ji-doms do not generally produce stream-of-consciousness posts like yours, unless that's the specific effect they are going for. They are usually more structured.

    I am mainly responding to your energy level, intensity and scattered attention. More Pe less Ji.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #45
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Ji-doms do not generally produce stream-of-consciousness posts like yours, unless that's the specific effect they are going for. They are usually more structured.

    I am mainly responding to your energy level, intensity and scattered attention. More Pe less Ji.
    You could be right. However, could it be that I have so much going on in my head (which is an 'internal world' where everything is purely subjective) and because of that, there is uncertainty, which breeds possibilities, which makes it harder to structure my thoughts? As opposed to the "external world", where there is more objectivity, which allows me to hone in on units and possibilities in a more brief and structured way.

    Maybe this is why so many INxPs have difficulty discerning their type? There's even an article that suggests this: http://personalityjunkie.com/05/infp...rior-function/

    But hey, if you disagree with this, or if this seems wrong and you're totally sure of it, educate me. I would like to learn more about this.
    "For a minute there, I lost myself...I lost myself."

    LOUIS CK: "We don't think about how we talk"
    http://zenpencils.com/comic/95-louis...t-how-we-talk/

  6. #46
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    You could be right. However, could it be that I have so much going on in my head (which is an 'internal world' where everything is purely subjective) and because of that, there is uncertainty, which breeds possibilities, which makes it harder to structure my thoughts?
    Are you suggesting that most introverts don't have much going on in their heads?

    It's what's going on outside of your head that I'm witnessing and assessing.

    If you feel you fit a particular type, fine. I'm just explaining why you might be confused. But you might be confused for many other reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #47
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Are you suggesting that most introverts don't have much going on in their heads?

    It's what's going on outside of your head that I'm witnessing and assessing.

    If you feel you fit a particular type, fine. I'm just explaining why you might be confused. But you might be confused for many other reasons.
    Lol no, quite the opposite in fact. Although extroverts have their internally deep moments where they get lost in their heads. Perhaps the external world creates balance?

    Interesting observation. I've always felt that, even in the external world, I tend to get lost in my thoughts and inner patterns, and contemplate often.

    Hmm, I'm confused though. Maybe I just don't see it, because I am 'extraverting' too much? (Though I doubt that) Maybe ill ask an ENTP..
    @The Great One , as an Ne-dom, would you say your thought process lines up nicely with mine, described in my writings?
    "For a minute there, I lost myself...I lost myself."

    LOUIS CK: "We don't think about how we talk"
    http://zenpencils.com/comic/95-louis...t-how-we-talk/

  8. #48
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    Maybe this is why so many INxPs have difficulty discerning their type? There's even an article that suggests this: http://personalityjunkie.com/05/infp...rior-function/
    INP's are Behind the Scenes, which can be either Supine or Phlegmatic, and for the INFP, the Supine will fit well, but for the INTP, it will make them seem softer and more "feeling"-like. And you seem to identify with Supine In the social area, so that will give you some T/F ambiguity.
    (That page is pretty good, though I'm not sure I buy the "finding in love=Fe (or Fi)" thing. In fact, as we were recently discussing, that is likely a form of undifferentiated Feeling (or some other term @INTP mentioned; can't even remember it right now) if anything).
    Last edited by Eric B; 08-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  9. #49
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    Lol no, quite the opposite in fact. Although extroverts have their internally deep moments where they get lost in their heads. Perhaps the external world creates balance?

    Interesting observation. I've always felt that, even in the external world, I tend to get lost in my thoughts and inner patterns, and contemplate often.

    Hmm, I'm confused though. Maybe I just don't see it, because I am 'extraverting' too much? (Though I doubt that) Maybe ill ask an ENTP..
    @The Great One , as an Ne-dom, would you say your thought process lines up nicely with mine, described in my writings?
    This thread from PerC helped me out. It breaks down the differences between Ti and Fi...

    Ti vs. Fi: A closer look

    This is what the thread basically says...

    Ti is an abstract deductive reasoning process. Would it be correct to say that Ti focuses on stripping away at the superficial side of any given object/situation to find the inner and pure objective information? Ti then goes to define and ultimately fit the piece of information into an internal model of all objective information collected thus far. All done unconsciously for the most part until a particularly complex bit of information cannot fit in which case both the information and the internal construct are called into question until all inconsistencies are worked out and the puzzle is solved. The larger problems require varying amounts of time, energy, and logical processing until everything fits once again. This is how Ti can pinpoint inconsistencies from miles away, the information they received is not the proper shape or not even from the same puzzle as they understand the world to function.

    Fi would then be an abstract integration process taking into account pure subjective information or 'feelings'. The internal world model is constructed less of logical systems as Ti. Fi focuses less on defining new information and more on simply understanding and then integrating it to the basic framework already in place. Like conducting and building a song one instrumental piece at a time. Fi is focused on how things work together, and dissonance is readily apparent. A distinction from the inconsistency targeting of Ti where things must fit, Fi can work with small inconsistencies as long as the bigger picture can still function as whole.

    Objectivity and subjectivity are a large separation in the functions. Fi types are very close to their inner feelings, understand them, yet the objectivity of language prevents them from expressing this portion of their being. Fi then needs to take subjective viewpoints into account in their internal world model because that is the part world they best understand and they see it to affect their worldview greatly. This is not to say they ignore objectivity, yet a danger zone for Fi (DomFi especially) is to ignore objective truth that doesn't harmonize with their subjective truth resulting in either an overly-emotional or a self-centered person (or both, depending on your perspective). Ti, on the other hand, is either does not understand it like Fi can (much like Fi has a harder time with deductive reasoning of objective qualities), or deems it irrelevant. An unbalanced Ti would be entirely disconnected with the human element leaving their world model incomplete and too rigid for that sort of information. (ironically becoming too subjective in their objectivity)

    I view the two functions as then starting from the same point when given piece of information and going opposite directions (not necessarily to opposing conclusions, however). Fi preferring to work outward only going inward when harmony is not achieved, and Ti working inward venturing outward when the pieces do not fit. Thus, they are almost mirror processes, neither being more or less rational than the other; only as rational as the information going in.

  10. #50
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Well, after pondering on it some more, I've finally came to a conclusion! That conclusion is...

    ...that I am just flat out untypeable right now. Honestly, I'm in a pretty bad time in my life right now, full of depression, stress, anxiety, and perhaps that is the root of my cynical nature? Due to this stress I am very scatterbrained, finding it somewhat hard to read information and grasp concepts, which could really help me on this subject. I can only discern so much in my head. I also think I was different as a kid, from what I can remember I was a little more cheerful (eg I liked dancing then, and I fucking hate it now). So who knows, I could be a fucking ESFJ for all i know (and god help me if I am...)

    Thanks to everyone who shared their input, especially @Eric B , @superunknown , @highlander , and @Infinite Bubble . I hope to continue my typology research at a better time. If I get to a better time.
    "For a minute there, I lost myself...I lost myself."

    LOUIS CK: "We don't think about how we talk"
    http://zenpencils.com/comic/95-louis...t-how-we-talk/

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] Can't tell if I'm an INFP or INTP.
    By tearsforfears in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-05-2016, 12:27 AM
  2. INFJ, INFP, or INTP?: Type me . . .
    By Rachel in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
  3. INFP or INTP?
    By PurpleDusk in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 03:47 PM
  4. INFP or INTP?
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM
  5. INFP or INTP?
    By WobblyStilettos in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO